Saginaw County Michigan

Chesaning Township

Chesaning History  |  Chesaning First Land Owners  |  Chesaning Legal Cases | Biographical 1  |  Biographical 2

In 1847 congressional township 9 north, ranges 1, 2, 3 and 4 east, was organized as one township by the board of Supervisors of Saginaw county, and named Northampton township. The first election was held in April of that year, at which time Wm. Smith was elected Supervisor and Justice of the Peace; Rufus P. Mason, Clerk; and L. Stevens, Treasurer. In 1853 the name of the township of Northampton was changed to "Chesaning," an Indian word signifying "Big Rock." Jan. 10, 1856, township 9 north, ranges 1 and 2 east, was set of by the Board of Supervisors and called Brady township, and Jan. 1, 1857, township 9 north, range 4 east, was set off and named Maple Grove township. So that now the territory comprising Chesaning township is six miles square, excepting the west three-quarters of sections 30 and 31, which was set off to Brady township, and described on the map as township 9 north, range 3 east.

The general surface of the land comprising Chesaning township is undulating. The soil in most parts is a gravelly, sandy loam, with small patches of a clayey loam scattered here and there. The lands of the township are very fertile, and well adapted to the raising of wheat, corn, oats, potatoes,. etc., as is well attested by the account given elsewhere of its agricultural productions. Its farms are well drained by the passage through its entire length of the beautiful and rapid Shiawassee river, which enters its southwestern corner at section 31, from which point it sweeps in a northeasterly direction to the center of the township; thence north and leaving the township on its northern border through section 3. This river also furnishes valuable water-power privileges.

The township is also traversed by several smaller streams both east and west of the Shiawassee. This section, previous to its settlement by white men, was densely covered by timber of different kinds; nearly every foot of its territory, except a few Indian corn fields, being shaded by beech, maple, oak, black walnut, butternut, in the bottom lands, while on the uplands and along the margins of the streams were clustered the stately pine.

The "Big Rock" Indian reservations, amounting to 15,000 acres, were located in this township, and embraced some of its most fertile portion. By a treaty made with the Chippewa Indians, this land came into the market in 1841. It was stipulated that the land should not be sold for less than $5.00 per acre. The sales were to be made by auction, and the proceeds, after taking out Government expenses in selling the lands, were to be given to the Indians.

Among the first white men to profit by this land coming into the market, and the first settlers in the limits of what is now known as Chesaning township, was Geo. W. Chapman, his brother Wellington Chapman and Rufus P. Mason. The Chapman brothers, on Oct. 18, 1841, entered land on sections 9, 16, 18 and 21, and R. P. Mason, Nov. 26, 1841, entered land on sections 9, 21 and 28.

The Chapman brothers returned to their home in Massachusetts the same fall, and the following spring, accompanied by their families and their uncle, Wm. Smith, and his family, returned and settled upon their new lands; Wellington Chapman on the southeast one-quarter of section 16, and his brother Geo. W. on the northeast one-quarter of section 21.

It was evident that both of these locations had been a favorite one to the aborigines, from the traces and relics left behind them, that are still occasionally found in the shape of weapons, ornaments of silver, burial places, etc. On section 21 was an Indian apple-orchard of some 25 trees, estimated in 1841 to be 80 years old; while on section 16, where there was an Indian corn-field, it was thought from what could be learned from the Indians at that time, through tradition, that the field had been cultivated for the same purpose nearly 150 years. There was about 100 acres of land of this description in the township in 1841.

Among the pioneers that settled in this township in 1842 may be mentioned the names of Geo. W. Chapman and wife, with three children; Wellington Chapman, his wife and one child; Wm. Smith, his wife and seven children, and R. P. Mason all from Massachusetts; Mr. Wright and family, from Pennsylvania; Benj. North, John M. Watkins, John Ferguson and a few others, and soon afterward James Fuller. In 1845 Asahel Parks, wife and family of seven children, settled on sections 1 and 12 north. Mr. Watkins immediately erected a saw-mill, completing the same in 1842. This was the first saw-mill.

This mill was afterward purchased by R. P. Mason and O. S. Chapman (the latter a non-resident), under the firm name of Mason & Chapman. They added machinery and apparatus for what was called a "pocket-mill" for "cracking corn," and doing custom grinding. This was in 1846, and the first grist-mill in the township, the settlers previous to this being obliged to go either to Owosso or Saginaw to get their corn or wheat made into meal or flour. The site of this old mill is now occupied by the Chesaning Merchant and Custom Mill in Chesaning village. The first frame building that was projected for a dwelling-house in the township was a one-story affair and owned by Marion Secord. It was never finished, but roughly boarded over, and occupied. In this house was the first wedding, "the high contracting parties" being John Pitts and Miss Sarah Ann Fridig. The first birth in the township was in May, 1842, being a daughter to Silas Parks. The first male child born was Albert Chapman, son of Wellington Chapman, Aug. 28, 1842. The first death was a Mr. Sawyer; he was buried on the southeast quarter of section 16. The first white man to hold the plow and thus prepare the ground for seeding was Wellington Chapman, in 1842, on his own land on the southeast quarter of section 16, on part of the old Indian corn-field. Here he and his brother, G. W. Chapman, planted seven acres to corn and two acres to potatoes. Along the road on this same land the first board fence built in the township was put up in 1843, and is still standing, in a good state of preservation. The first frame barn in the section was also built on this place that year. The first frame building erected and completed in the township was built in 1842 by North and Watkins, just back of block 16, in Chesaning village, on the bank of the river. This was afterward occupied by R. P. Mason, where he opened the first store and stock of goods kept in the settlement. The first school taught in the township was by Miss Eliza Ann Smith, daughter of William Smith. This was in 1844, 11 scholars attending. It was a subscription school, and kept in what is now Chesaning village, on the east side of the river, in a rough board shanty. R. P. Mason and G. W. Chapman, in 1845-'6, built a small frame house on lot 2, block 18, Chesaning village, and presented the same to the district to be used for school purposes; this was the first regular school-house. The first teacher in this building was Caroline Barnes. The building is still standing and used as a dwelling, moved to another site. The second frame dwelling in the township was built by Wellington Chapman in the southeast quarter of section 9. It is still standing and occupied by Mr. Chapman, though extensive additions have since been made to it. Adjoining this house still stands the second frame barn ever built in the township.

For a long time during certain seasons of the year, especially spring, the only means by which the settlers could reach the outside world was by canoe or boat on the Shiawassee river, taking one day to go to Saginaw City, the county-seat, and two days to return; while to get to Owosso they were obliged to use the same means of conveyance as at first. They made frequent visits to these places after supplies, and to have their grain made into flour and meal; many mishaps occurred, such as the upsetting of their boats and a consequent loss. Judge William Smith, the first supervisor, was obliged to use this means of conveyance to make his regular official trips to the county-seat.

Game was very abundant, and consisted of deer, bear, wild fowls of various kinds, wolves, panthers, wild cats, foxes, etc. Bear meat and venison, that are now becoming such luxuries, were then the most common food to grace the pioneer's table; while now it is somewhat a rarity to meet with either of the above-named animals in this vicinity, though occasionally a bear appears, as, in 1876. William Smith, jr., being in a field back of his father's house, espied a large black bear on the opposite side of the river. He ran to the house after his rifle. It was the first bear he had ever seen running wild, and he was so excited that he could not answer the family's questions as to what he was going to do, although he was an old soldier, and had been in many battles of the Rebellion. Still he had what is called the "buck fever," or what might be so called if it had been a deer. As soon as he came in shooting distance, he blazed away three times While the bear was living, and twice more, probably, after the bear was dead; and he now has the skin as a trophy.


In this township outside of the village of Chesaning are provided eight frame school-houses, valued with their furniture at $4,700. During the school year ending Sept. 6, 1880, 310 scholars were in regular attendance. To instruct these pupils six male teachers were employed, averaging three and one-third months each, and to whom was paid $551, and 11 female teachers, who averaged three and four-tenths months each, their combined salaries amounting to $779. Libraries furnished the different districts amount in all to 124 vols.


The-number of acres of land r the township is 22,080. Of this 5,650 acres are improved and divided among 200 different farms. In the year 1880 there were harvested 1,604 acres of wheat, 1,063 acres of corn, 421 acres of oats, and 944 acres of hay. The above. yielded 25,543 bushels of wheat, 59,015 bushels of corn, 12,431 bushels of oats, and 1,328 tons of hay, while the crop of potatoes amounted to 14,215 bushels. The total valuation of real estate is $690,900, and of personal property $78,220. As will be seen from the above figures, the average yield is very creditable, and compares favorably with that of any section of the country.


Underlying the surface, coal has been known to exist. It crops out in various places, but has never been fully developed. Mr. Wellington Chapman, from a vein on his farm obtained several wagon loads. It being but a three foot vein, and "dipping" so abruptly, it was not found profitable to work, at least while fuel of other kinds was in such abundance. Traces of copper have also been found to a very limited extent. From the best authority this township is also in the great "salt basin" of the Saginaw Valley, but until recently nothing has been done to develop its resources in that direction. The present year Messrs. Green and Gould are 'putting down wells and will doubtless at no distant day have the Chesaning Salt Works in full running order.


The township has but one railroad, The Jackson, Lansing & Saginaw. It was completed in 1867. The railroad enters the, township going northeast at the northwest corner of sec. 31, passing in a northeasterly direction to Chesaning village, thence north through sections 9 and 4 and passing out of its northern border.

The proprietors of this road had their plans made for running the line three miles west of Chesaning village, and had it not been for the efforts of one of Chesaning's pioneers, Geo. W. Chapman, this no doubt would have been done, and Chesaning left out, so to speak, in the cold. Mr. Chapman, realizing the benefit that would accrue to the village and township by having the depot at Chesaning village, immediately took active measures to secure it. Being an old railroad man and acquainted with the projectors of the road, especially 0. M. Barnes, he secured an agreement from then to the effect that if the village would pay a bonus of $18,000 they would run the line there and they could have the depot. Mr. Chapman took the matter in hand, the money was soon raised, and thus Chesaning village secured a railroad through its limits.


The grist-mill at Havana has two run of stone; is owned by Mrs. Parshall, and operated by James Latta, at this place. The head of water is eight feet.

The population of the the township in 1880 was 2,059.



Wm. Smith 1847-49 R. W. Andrus 1868-72
John W. Turner 1850-53 James L. Helm 1872
James C. Fuller 1854-55 S. C. Goodale 1873
John W. Turner 1856 W. H. Niver Jr. 1874-76
R. W. Andrus 1857 J. W. Manning 1877-78
J. W. Turner 1858 T. L. Green 1879-80
R. W. Andrus 1859-66 A. D. Agnew 1881
A. Crofoot 1867    


R. P. Mason 1847-49 O. C. Smith 1861-62
James B. Terry 1850 Samuel Church 1863
David Dresser 1851 O. J. Dayton 1864-66
J. B. Terry 1852 Wm. H. Niver 1867
Daniel Pierce 1853 Wm. H. Niver Jr. 1868-72
Wm. P. Allen 1854 H. J. Hopkins 1874-75
Anson Sheldon 1855-56 C. C. Tubbs 1876-78
James Allen 1857 C. W. Hopkins 1879
Robert Clark 1858 C. C. Tubbs 1880
Orson J. Dayton 1859 C. W. Hopkins 1881
R. P. Mason 1860    


W. M. Smith 1847-49 L. L. Homer 1864
B. E. Crandall 1850 Geo. Rogers 1866
D. Dresser 1851 Wm. P. Allen 1867
R. P. Mason 1851 H. W. Parker 1868
J. Hertherington 1852 J. W. Jones 1869
J. W. Turner 1853 Ira W. La Munyon 1870
Richard Walsh 1853 J. B. Griswold 1870
J. F. Coy 1854 J. T. Gleason 1871
John Pitts 1854 W. P. Dredge 1872
David Dresser 1855 W. E. Pratt 1872
Jesse L. Fisher 1855 A. S. Mallory 1873
T. Stewart 1856 A. Crofoot 1874
H. W. Felt 1856 P. C. Simonds 1875
J. W. Turner 1857 T. E. W. Adams 1875
Geo. L. Davis 1857 W. P. Dredge 1876
Walter Burrows 1858 S. C. Goodale 1876
D. W. Davidson 1858 Garret Post 1877
R. W. Andrus 1859 A. L. Gilbert 1877
Wm. Niver 1859 J. C. Fisher 1878
J. H. Parshall 1860 R. W. Crofoot 1879
A. Sheldon 1861 S. C. Goodale 1879
G. Rogers 1862 J. B. Griswold 1880
J. C. Goodale 1862 Nathan R. Jersey 1881
Samuel Church 1863 Wm. L. Blakslee 1881
James Miller 1864    


L. Stevens 1847-49 A. Crofoot 1864
John B. Griswold 1850-51 J. G. McCormick 1865
J. L. Fisher 1852-53 J. M. Jones 1866-69
J. B. Griswold 1854-56 G. L. Chapman 1870-73
A. Crofoot 1857 T. L. Green 1874-78
Henry Bently 1858 W. H. Niver Jr. 1879
T. Stewart 1859-61 E. Wierman 1880
G. L. Chapman 1862-63 Cyrus C. Tubbs 1881

The township records pertaining to the first few years after the organization of Northampton (now Chesaning) were destroyed. The organization of this township is noticed in the "county" history in this volume.


The beautiful village of Chesaning is situated near the center of the township, is 21 miles by railroad from the county-seat, and 14 miles north of Owosso. It contains a population of nearly 900. Chesaning is located in the center of the "Big-Rock" reservation, so called from a large rock around which many an Indian council was held, that lies about one-half mile east of the village without any other stone of large size in the vicinity. The Shiawassee river, with bold banks at this point, 15 to 40 feet high, runs through the village from south to north, dividing it into nearly equal parts, and furnishing valuable water-power. Its bluffs on either side are dotted with the dwellings and places of business of its residents. Through its western limits passes the Jackson, Lansing & Saginaw railroad. Here also is located the railroad passenger and freight depots, where was shipped, in 1880, 6,113,922 pounds of freight; and there was received during the same year 2,492,369 pounds. This is the most important railroad shipping point in the county, outside of the cities of Saginaw and East Saginaw.

The survey for the first village plot was made in 1851, and put on record June 25 of the same year. The surveyor was Andrew Huggins. The owners and proprietors of the land were Rufus P. Mason and O. S. Chapman. The last-named being a non-resident, it was under the management of R. P. Mason. Its neat and attractive dwellings are mostly frame buildings, and are surrounded by large and well-kept grounds.

The village was incorporated in 1869, and includes all of section 16, the south half of section 9, east half of section 17, west half of section 5, the southeast quarter of section 8, and the southwest quarter of section 10, comprising in all 1,920 acres.

The first charter election was held April 12, 1869, and resulted in the following named officers being elected: President, Rufus P. Mason; Trustees, Henry J. Bently, Henry McCormick, James C. Goodale, N. P. Jersey, O. F. Walker and James L. Helm.

April 19, the Board held their first meeting and appointed T. L. Green, Clerk; J. B. Griswold, Treasurer; Anson Sheldon, Assessor; S. C. Goodale, Marshal; Andrew Crofoot, J. J. Austin, Fire Wardens.


From a very early period the township has been well supplied by ministers of the gospel. The Methodists were the first to hold meetings; the Presbyterians next, led by Rev. Goodale, the Baptists following soon after. There are now three church edifices in the township, all being located in Chesaning village and built in the order named:

Methodist.—This society held religious meetings at irregular intervals from the very earliest settlement of the township, the gatherings being principally in private houses. The earliest preacher to preside at these meetings was a Rev. Mr. Glass, of Shiawassee Co. Among the early pioneer members of this society were Watters Burrows and his wife, John B. Griswold and wife, and James C. Fuller and wife. Among the early preachers were Rev. F. A. Blades and Rev. Mr. Glass. In 1856 a famous revival was held by an evangelist by the name of Wells. During this meeting some 80 converts were made. Immediately following this the conference sent Rev. S. P. Murch to supply the pulpit. He was the first resident pastor sent by the conference. In 1864, the congregation having largely increased in numbers, a subscription was started for the purpose of raising sufficient funds to erect a house of worship, they up to this time having held meetings in private houses, school-houses, etc. The subscription was started by Mr. R. P. Mason for $100; G. W. Chapman, $100; and by numerous other parties for different amounts. A site for the building was donated by O. S. Chapman and work was vigorously begun on the same. It was completed and dedicated in 1869, at a cost of $3,103. It is a frame structure 36x65 feet, and has a seating capacity of 300.

The church. is now out of debt, and has a membership of 110. The Sunday-school is in a prosperous condition, and has an attendance of 150 scholars, for whose use a good library is supplied.

The present pastor is Rev. J. Frazer, who is also superintendent of Sunday-school.

The first class, organized was in 1854, by John Levington. The members of the class were William Smith and wife, Lyman Stevens, B. S. Badgley, James Allen and W. H. Niver.


1853, F. A. Blades, 1853, Glass, 1854, John Livingston, 1855, J. M. Arnold, 1856, S. P. Murch, 1858, E. B. Prindle, 1859, Silliman, 1860, Britten, 1861, J. B. Russell, 1862 J. T. Hankinson, 1863, W. II. Benton, 1864, C. W. Austin, 1866, A. B. Clough, 1869, H. W. Hicks, 1871, W. E. Dunning, 1873, J. T. Hankinson, 1874, F. W. May, 1874, O. W. Mott, 1876, J. H. McIntosh, 1878, C. Kollorman, 1880, J. Frazer.

Baptist Church.—Previous to 1854 some few Christians of this denomination had settled in this township, and meetings had been held. In the year above given an organization had been perfected, and meetings held at intervals in various places, but owing to imperfect records much has been lost of the history of those meetings.

In June, 1878, Elder E. B. Edmonds organized a Baptist conference at Chesaning village. The constituent members were Mr. and Mrs. F. C. Brainard, Warren Brainard, Deacon Brainard and wife, Deacon W. L. Blakslee and wife, Volney Ketchum and wife, Mr. Ellis and wife, Mrs. Hill, Miss Kellogg, Mrs. E. B. Fletcher, John Clement and others, amounting in all to about 21. The society now numbers some 28 members, and is steadily growing. Connected with the Church is a Sunday-school of 60 scholars. Rev. John McLane, present minister.

This is what is called a mission point in the Baptist Church, the society at Chesaning village, owing to the limited membership, being aided by the Horne Mission in meeting the expenses of the Church organization. They have no church building, and hold regular services in the German Evangelical church.

The society owns a parsonage, valued at $800, and also a lot on which they intend erecting a church building at no distant day.

Evangelical Church.—Organized 1871, with a membership of 18; the first pastor was a Rev. Mr. Ream. The congregation held meetings in a rented hall until 1877, when they erected a church edifice on block 17, lot 10, Chesaning village, at a cost of $2,100. It is a neat and substantial frame building, 34x40 feet. The church was built principally through the exertions of one of its most active members, Mr. C. Moessner, who not only gave $200 toward the same, but spent much time in supervising the work, raising subscriptions, etc. John Knut subscribed $100, and other parties lesser amounts.

The present officiating pastor is Rev. Louis Brumn. Their Sunday-school has in attendance 25 scholars, for whom a suitable library is provided.

Evangelical Lutheran Church.—This denomination held meetings in this township as early as in 1865, the pastor being the Rev. Mr. Miller. They met for the worship of God at private houses in the neighborhood until 1874, when they purchased lot 6, block 17, in the village of Chesaning, and they erected thereon the present church building, at a cost of $1,200. It is a frame structure 24 by 36 feet in size. Present membership is 23. Present minister is Rev. J. Meyer. Sunday-school contains 20 scholars.

Wild Wood Cemetery.—In the northwestern corner of the northwest quarter of sec. 28, on a beautiful plat of ground, along the bank of the Shiawassee river, is located Wild-Wood cemetery. It is neatly laid out in walks and wards. In these grounds overlooking the Shiawassee valley lie at rest many of Chesaning's pioneers and worthy citizens. With their lives passed away the wily savage, the ferocious wild beast and the trackless forest. To the dauntless courage and untiring industry of these pioneers, and their few compatriots, who still remain with us on this side of the river, too much tribute cannot be paid. As brave and honorable men they lived; let their memory be cherished with pride and affection.


Chesaning Lodge, F. & A. M., No. 194, was granted a charter from the Grand Lodge of the State Jan. 10, 1867. The charter members were J. J. Austin, J. N. Eldred, W. W. Wyman, H. F. Armstrong, E. H. Sternes, E. W. Damon and Joseph Bush. Its first officers were J. J. Austin, W. M.; J. N. Eldred, S. W.; and H. F. Armstrong, J. W. The present officials are as follows: N. R. Jersey, W. M.; W. W. Wyman, S. W.; L. W. Everts, J. W.; and G. Lyman Chapman, Sec. The lodge now has 60 members in good standing. They hold meetings Thursday evenings on or before the full moon of each month.

Chesaning Chapter, R. A. M., No. 67, meets the first Tuesday in each month. The chapter was instituted Jan. 19, 1869. The charter members were M. W. Quackenbush, H. P.; Frank P. Kenyon, K.; J. J. Austin, S.; R. W. Andrews, J. L. Helm, Wm. P. Allen, J. M. Jones, J. N. Eldred, John Rogers, C. C. Goodale, and others. The present officers are: W. H. H. Chapman, H. P.; H. J. Hopkins, K.; John B. Griswold, S.; N. R. Jersey, Sec.

Chesaning Lodge, No. 103, I. O. O. F., was granted its charter Oct. 31, 1866. The charter members were Frank P. Kenyon, Jas. C. Goodale, Jas. H. Young, Wm. R. Smith and Daniel C. Parshall. The lodge holds regular meetings every Monday night. Membership is 35.

Chesaning Encampment, No. 76, I. O. O. F., meets the 2d and 4th Wednesdays of every month.

The Chesaning Grange, No. 464, was organized June 23, 1874, with a membership of about 30. Its officers were Samuel Carson, Master; David Peet, Treasurer, and O. W. Damon, Secretary. It now numbers 25 members. R. A. Wilson is Master; O. W. Damon, Secretary; and David Peet, Treasurer. The grange holds meetings the 1st and 3d Saturdays of each month.

Chesaning Lodge, No. 1,816, K. of H., was organized and chartered Sept. 19, 1879, with a membership of about 20. Present membership is 23. Its meetings are held 2d and 4th Friday evenings of each month, in the I. O. O. F. Hall. O. F. Walker is Dictator, and D. O. Quigley, Reporter.

Good Templars.—There is a lodge of the Independent Order of Good Templars in the village.

Ladies' Library Association.—In 1877 a few ladies in the village, realizing the importance of and the benefits that accrue to the citizens from having a large library of miscellaneous books permanently established in the place to which the people could have access, formed the above named association. On the organization of the society, they possessed but 50 volumes, and fixed the membership fees at one dollar per annum. Mrs. H. J. Bently was elected President; Mrs. W. H. H. Chapman, Secretary; Mrs. G. L. Chapman, Treasurer; and Mrs. T. L. Green, Librarian of the association. It is distinctively a ladies' enterprise; no males being allowed to vote at election of any of its officers. It is supported by membership fees, voluntary contributions, etc. They also occasionally secure the services of public speakers and lecturers to deliver addresses before the association on scientific and other subjects, the proceeds being applied to the purchase of new books and other expenses. Adjoining the library room is fitted up an elegant parlor, where the ladies meet for social converse, reading, or to transact the business of the society. During the past four years the number of volumes on its shelves have increased to 428. It has proven a success, and may now be counted as one of the important and permanent institutions of the village. The present officers are Mrs. S. E. Cheyney, President; Mrs. Catharine Rogers, Secretary; Mrs. W. H. H. Chapman, Treasurer; and Mrs. Phebe Mayheifer, Librarian.


The village is supplied with two school buildings; one is a brick, which was erected at a cost, including furniture, of $14,000. In this building is kept a graded school, and three teachers are employed. The other is a frame building and is used for a primary school. The seating capacity of the two buildings is 280. Number of pupils in attendance for the school year of 1880 was 231. One male teacher was employed at a salary of $700. Three female teachers received salaries which amounted to $840. School year is 10 months. School library contains 64 volumes.


There are within the village limits the following stores and places of business: Four general stores, five groceries, three hardware stores, two furniture stores, two boot and shoe stores, two millinery stores, two drug stores, two restaurants, two hotels, two wagon shops, two harness shops, two meat markets, five blacksmith shops, one foundry, one planing-mill, one stave and heading factory, one merchant and custom flouring mill, one printing office, which issues the Weekly Argus, and salt works not yet in operation. Six physicians reside in Chesaning.

Among the firms that may be especially mentioned as among the most enterprising business men of the place are Chapman Bros., H. J. Bently and Thos. L. Green, who each carry a large stock and full line of goods usually found in first-class general stores; A. S. Bearer, A. C. Christian and Lyman O. Ford, who supply the residents with groceries; J. B. Griswold, who keeps a hardware store; L. L. Homer, proprietor of a meat market; Eldred & Co. and Wm. H. Niver, representing the drug trade; Wm. H. Walker, owner of a furniture store; C. Moessner, boot and shoe retailer; Garrett Post, proprietor of the Waverly House; and Geo. W. Williams, who operates an extensive foundry established in 1877. A planing-mill, managed by A. A. Belden & Co.; mill was built in 1868 on the site of one that was burned; has a 15-horse-power engine, New York make. Employs on an average 15 men. Capacity in planing is 1,000 feet per hour; and in matching, 500 feet per hour.

The stave factory carried on by J. J. Campbell is one of the most important industries of the village. In this establishment are employed 42 men and boys. The motive power is a 35-horsepower engine; the factory has a capacity for making 3,000,000 staves and 10,000 barrel headings per annum.

The merchant and custom flouring mill, owned and operated by R. A. Wilson, occupies the site of the pioneer "corn cracker." It is a three-story-and-a-half frame building, 40x50 feet on the ground; is fitted with four run of stone and improved machinery, and cost its present owner $15,000. Its grinding capacity is 60,000 bushels of grain per annum, and averages 40,000 bushels. Its machinery is run by water power, the "Shiawassee" furnishing a never-failing supply. From this mill are annually shipped 600 barrels of flour.


With the exception of the post office at Saginaw City and East Saginaw, this office is the most important one in the county. There are received and distributed at this office each week 260 weekly newspapers and magazines, and 35 daily papers. Its average receipt of letters for distribution in the village and township is 200 per day, while they send to other offices 100 letters daily. In the money-order department they issue orders yearly to the amount of $18,000 to $20,000. The present postmaster is Thos. L. Greene.

Chesaning History  |  Chesaning First Land Owners  |  Chesaning Legal Cases | Biographical 1  |  Biographical 2


Source: History of Saginaw County Michigan, By Michael A. Leeson, Damon Clarke, Published 1881 Chas. C. Chapman & Co., Chicago pages 795-834.
Copyright ©  2010 of  all rights reserved by: Volunteers hold copyright to the online material they have donated for this site.  Not to be copied and used in any format to any other site or in any other media. Personal use within family files is allowed.


Click here to go back

  Saginaw Site Index


This server space is provided by Michigan Family History Network genealogical server space.
Copyright © 2004-2013 all rights reserved of html coding and graphics by .  Volunteers hold copyright to the material they have donated for this site.  Not to be copied and used in any format to any other site or in any other media.