HISTORY OF TUSCOLA COUNTY
FAIR GROVE VILLAGE.
This is an unincorporated village in the town of Fair Grove, located in the east half of southeast quarter of section 17, and west half of southwest quarter of section 16. No plat of the village has been filed, and descriptions of lots sold have been made necessarily by metes and bounds.
Some ten years ago a small store of general merchandise was kept here by D. Lane and sold subsequently to S. N. Aldrich, who has largely extended the business. This was about all of the village until the year 1881, when the advent of the Saginaw, Tuscola & Huron Railroad gave this point prominence as a center of trade for the surrounding country. Since then the growth of the village has been rapid, numbering at present thirty houses, with others in course of construction. Its business enterprises consist of the sash factory of Liken & Bach, flouring –mill of Roby & Wylie, planing mill of Trimble & Dougherty, wagon shop of Mitchell & Stanard, black smith shop of George Biles, general stores of S. N. Aldrich, r. C. Burroughs and R. Wakeman, drug store of Sprague & Stoddard, furniture, tinware and notion store of F. A. Rogers, agricultural implement warehouse of M. L. Aldrich, Charles Puffer’s meat market, J. D. Burlingame’s livery stable, and J. S. Streeter’s hotel. Just south of the village and undoubtedly at no distant day to be included within its limits, is the church of the United Presbyterians. The Methodist Episcopal society and the United Brethren are preparing to build houses of worship.
Twenty-six years ago a postoffice was established at Fair Grove Centre with Amzy Clay as postmaster. In March, 1881, it was removed to Fair Grove village, and D. E. Cranston, the present postmaster, was appointed to the office.
About the year 1861 a class of the Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in Fair Grove by elder Bancroft. The services of the church have been held with general regularity to the present time. There are now two classes holding services in the school-houses. A formal organization for incorporation was made at the fourth quarterly conference of the Watrousville circuit held at Watrousville June 12, 1875, when the corporate name of “first Methodist Episcopal Church of Fair Grove” was adopted, and the following trustees elected, viz.: William H. Rose, Edmund McCready, S. N. Aldrich, Charles Partlo and E. W. Johnson. Preparations are being made for building a house of worship in the village of Fair Grove.
A church of Seventh Day Adventists was organized in 1865 by Elder Van horn with six or eight members. It was formally organized for incorporation March 12th, 1869, articles of association being signed and the following trustees elected, viz.: Christopher Cramer, David Ferren and and B. Perkins. The church has now thirty members with a Sabbath-school of forty members. Elder William Ostrander is the preacher assigned to this circuit. The church building, situated two and one-half miles north of the village of Fair Grove is unfinished, though occupied for religious services.
June 22, 1883, was incorporated the “Board of Managers of the Fair Grove Congregation of the Reformed Presbyterian Church,” by which act the powers of the corporation were vested in the ruling elders, deacons and the pastor. This was done in conformity with the requirements of law, and to enable the congregation to hold property. Its original organization, however, dates back for several years. In 1882 a house of worship was completed at a cost of about $2,000. The membership is about fifty-five. The Sunday-school numbers 110, with an average attendance of fifty-five. Services and Sabbath-school are held every Sunday. The pastors of the church have been Revs. Shanks, Hill, and the present incumbent, J. R. Wylie.
At a quarterly conference of the United Brethren in Christ, held at Fair Grove September 16, 1871, a board of trustees was elected consisting of Richard T. Hunter, David E. Cranston and Amos Huntington, with authority “to build a parsonage-house,” and to hold the same house and property for the benefit of the said church. The membership of the church was about twenty-five; the pastor, Rev. William Price. There are now two classes in the town, one to the west, and the other to the north of the village of Fair Grove. Rev. W. H. Drake is pastor, and holds services with each class every Sabbath. Grounds have been secured and material collected in Fair Grove village for a house of worship, which it is hoped and intended will be soon erected.
Articles of association were entered into May 10, 1875, by John E. Cragg, James Gaunt, J. G. Gaunt, Phebe Gaunt, Mary Gaunt, Phebe A. Gaunt, Mary Yeomans, Esther Williams, Sarah Yeomans and C. D. Petershaus, “of the denomination called the Methodist, “ for the purpose of forming a body corporate. The name of Fair Grove mission or circuit was adopted, being located in the townships of Fair Grove and Gilford. This was the formal organization of the church under the laws of the State. Their house of worship is in the southwest corner of the town. Services are held every Sunday.
D. P. HINSON settled in Fair Grove in the year 1852, and died May 4, 1882, at the age of eighty-four. He was born in the State of Connecticut. Married in the State of New York, February, 1821, to Miss Sarah Vickery. Settled in Michigan in 1827, and in fair Grove in 1852. He was one of the oldest Masons in the State, and was connected with all the important events of the county of Tuscola.
DAVID E. CRANSTON, postmaster, merchant and notary public, was born in Roxbury, Delaware County, N. Y., June 16, 1813. At the age of fourteen years he removed with his parents to Wayne County, N. Y. He spent some four years there, and then returned to his grandfather’s in his native county. Here, in 1833, he commenced teaching school, and continued steadily in that profession until 1845. He was married December 20, 1835, to Miss Mary Davis, of Marbletown, N. Y. They had four children, Ann M., Thomas C. (killed in the army) Elizabeth O. (now Mrs. William Partlo), and Mary I(afterwards Mrs. M. Murphy), deceased in April, 1879. Mrs. Mary Cranston died August 11, 1844. Mr. Cranston’s second marriage was to Miss Ann E. Smalling, of Goshen, N. Y. May 4, 1845. She was born on Long Island, October 4, 1817. They have four living children, Frances (now Mrs. D. Bussing), Henry, Eliza (now Mrs. C. Dutcher), and Emma (now Mrs. F. Rogers). Mr. Cranston came to Tyrone, Mich., in May, 1845, and resided there until 1856, when he sold his estate there and came to section 16, in Fair Grove, where he now has a pleasant home. He has also a store of drugs, groceries, etc., in Fair Grove village, where in connection with the postoffice he conducts a steadily increasing business. On January 2, 1864, he enlisted in Company I, Fourth Michigan Cavalry, when he was over fifty years of age, and served his country until the Confederacy was quashed. He had in the war one son, two brothers-in-law, two sons-in-law, and seven nephews. His son was killed; one nephew was starved to death in Andersonville prison; and another came home from Danville prison with his mind perfectly demented. Mr. Cranston has served as township clerk in Livingston County four years, and in Tuscola county he has served as county surveyor eight years, justice of the peace four years, and as notary public some ten years—and to that office he has just received another appointment. He has been a local preacher among the United Brethren in Christ since 1871.
FRANCIS W. HARRIS, farmer and mechanic, was born in Chardon, Ohio, September 23, 1842. He was reared and educated in his native State, and in 1865 he went to Madison, Ohio, from whence in 1872 he came to section 22 in Fair Grove, Mich. He had been married to Miss Ellen Foster, also of Madison, October 23, 1867. She was born there December 16, 1842. They have one daughter Mary C. They have eighty acres of land, with nearly thirty acres improved, a fruit-bearing orchard of various fruits, and pleasant home conveniences. Mr. Harris has been school moderator eight years, and is now school director. He has been township clerk nearly five years, and deputy clerk two years. Religiously they are Episcopal Methodists, and he is a steward in that church.
JASPER STREETER, hotel-keeper, was born in Oakland County, Mich., March 9, 1843. He came with his parents to Tuscola County when nine years old. His time has been spent chiefly in farming and butchering, and dealing in meats. He was married March 8, 1866, to Miss Augusta Luce, of Fair Grove. She was born in Steuben County, N. Y., October 8, 1852. They have two children, Carrie and Carey. Mr. Streeter opened his hotel in Fair Grove village in September, 1881, and his patronage ever since then has increased steadily. Almost every day his tables and rooms are all occupied, and to his present accommodations, already large, he intends forthwith making further additions. His good barn furnishes warm shelter for teams in winter, and cool shade in summer. He also conducts a well-supplied meat market, thus furnishing the citizens of their rising village and flourishing township with the luxury of fresh meat all the year round. Mr. Streeter carried the mail through from East Saginaw by way of Vassar and Elkland to Forestville on Lake Huron the first time it was taken through.
SYLVANUS N. ALDRICH, merchant, was born in Ontario, N. Y., February 8, 1836. He was reared and educated in his native State, and spent his early tme mostly in mercantile employment. He came first to Fair Grove, Mich., in the spring of 1857, and in 1861 he and his family came and settled in section 32, and at once began to open up a home in the beautiful farest. He had been married to Miss maria L. Haggerty, of Lewiston, Niagara County, N. Y., November 13, 1859. She was born there February 5, 1842. They have four children, Helen L., George N., Charles M., and Sylvanus Brice. Mr. Aldrich has devoted some time to farming in his Mich-
igan home, but has had to return occasionally to his native place for the benefit of his health, and while there has engaged in mercantile life. In 1874 he opened a mercantile enterprise in Fair Grove, consisting of dry goods, groceries and general merchandise. His patronage has increased regularly with the rise of this flourishing township. Fraternally, he is a member of the Caro Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons. His motto is: Brotherly love, relief and truth.
EBENEZER WEST JOHNSON, farmer and dealer in real estate, was born in Plymouth, Ohio, April 3, 1834. He came to Tuscola County, Mich., in April, 1854, and shortly after engaged in working for Mr. Ira Tappan for one year at $100. With those earnings he bought eighty acres of land in what is now Fair Grove, then a part of the township of Rogers. In 1856 he chopped ten acres of land where the rising village of Fair Grove is now being built. When he became of age he and Lavias Hinson were the only young men in the township. He assisted in organizing Fair Grove Township. David P. Hinson named the township, and was its first supervisor. Mr. Johnson helped to erect the first barn built in Rogers (now Juniata and Fair Grove). He also attended the first national celebration held in Rogers, going with others of the settlers on foot to Watrousville. Mr. D. P. Hinson was the reader and speaker of the day. Mr. Johnson’s time for a while was spent partly in Fair Grove and partly in Ohio. On January 1, 1860, he was married to Miss Julia M. Shaw, of Sheffield, Ohio. She was born there May 11, 1842. Their children are Elmer L., Lillian M., Oliver T., Adelia A., Rowena M. and William Foster. Elmer was born in Ohio. All the rest were born in Fair Grove. In September, 1861, Mr. Johnson enlisted in Company E in the Seventh Michigan Infantry, at Camp Monroe, and went directly to Washington, and when in camp near there was seized with typhoid fever, but, recruiting a little, he accompanied his regiment to near Poolville, Maryland. Here he soon became very ill, and after some three months severe suffering, he was honorably discharged because of disability arising from heart disease brought on by the hardships and excitement of camp life. From this ailment Mr. Johnson is still a sufferer. In November, 1862, he and his family came from Ohio to settle in their Fair Grove home. From Fentonville to Vassar they brought their goods with a hired team through a track in places almost impassable, and through the last three miles Mr. Johnson literally led the horses by their bridle-bits in the dark, through the mud and among the stumps; and when he arrived he greatly resembled a monument of mud. From there they came through a desperate road n an ox cart to their destination. They have now about sixty-one acres of land in section 17, having sold part of the estate in town lots for the village now rising rapidly just where their fields formerly were. They have also an excellent fruit bearing orchard of various fruits, having some apple trees of their own growing, now one foot in diameter. Mr. Johnson was the superintendent of the first Sabbath-school in Fair Grove. He has been overseer of highways, and is now assessor in his school district. He and Mrs. Johnson are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he has frequently been leader of the class and Sabbath-school superintendent and teacher, and is now one of the building committee for the erection of the new Methodist Episcopal Church.
MILTON L. ROBY, of the firm of Roby & Wylie, was born in Logan county, Ohio, October 23, 1838. He received his early culture in his native State, and n the fall of 1863 he settled in Branch County, Mich., and engaged in agricultural pursuits. He had been married to Miss Nancy Fulton, also of Logan County, February 7, 1859. She was born there in May, 1837. They have had eight children: Thomas, now deceased, Margaret J., now Mrs. E. C. Becker, Susan A., Sarah B., Rhoda M., Jessie M., Elton L. and Nellie A. they came from Branch County to Fair Grove in March, 1880 He has eighty acres of land in section 27, about forty of which are now under cultivation. Mr. Roby is a partner in running a steam threshing machine, and also in the flouring mill in Fair Grove village. The mill has been built at an expense of some $8,000, with a capacity for grinding about eighty barrels of flour in twenty-four hours. They have a steadily increasing amount of custom work, sometimes crowding their convenience for doing their own grinding. Mr. and Mrs. Roby are members of the Reformed Presbyterian Church.
JOSEPH S. WYLIE, of the firm of Roby & Wylie, was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, January 4, 1854. He resided there until august, 1880, when he came to Tuscola county, Mich. His early employment was chiefly farming. He engaged in his flouring mill enterprise in Fair Grove village about the first of October, 1882, and with his partner is sharing profitable returns from their investment. In 1879 Mr. Wylie was married to Miss Martha Tate, but she was taken from him by death July 16, 1880, and one week later was followed by their infant babe. Mr. Wylie is the youngest heir to his father’s estate, his share of which is due him in 1884. Religiously he is a member of the Reformed Presbyterian Church.
MRS. E. WARD, formerly Mrs. E. Cutler, came with her former husband, Mr. Cutler, form Ohio to Fair Grove, Mich., August 31 1857. The old Sebewaing rod ws then the only one in the township. She thinks there were not then a dozen houses between Pine Run and Tuscola village. They were three days coming from Fentonville and changed teams twice, and then finished the trip on foot and carried two children on their backs. Some years later Mr. Cutler and his son (by a former wife), both left their pioneer homes to help quash the rebellion, and both lost their lives, leaving Mrs. Cutler alone to grapple with the hardships of a new country in war time, with three children to provide for, one of whom was blind. She records had times, but has never suffered for want of food. They have now some twenty acres cleared on their farm home, and enjoy a comfortable situation.
PHILIP HONSINGER, a farmer, was born in Alburgh, Vermont, april 21, 1819. He spent his youth and early manhood in his youth and early manhood in his native State, mostly in farming. On August 28, 1842, he was married to Miss Almira Mott, also of Alburgh. She was born there October 6, 1823. They had two children, Albert and Celia. In 1843 they went to Bangor, N. Y., spent seven years there, then sold their estate and came and settled in Oakland County, Mich., in the fall of 1850. In September of the next year he visited Tuscola County and bought 160 acres of land in what is now Fair Grove, then a part of Rogers. He thinks his was the first deed given of lands in fair Grove. They came to their new place in August ,1855, and opened them a home in the dense but beautiful wilderness, which was almost all solid woods from Watrousville to their place. They came in by the way of Watrousville, by an underbrushed track cut by Messrs. Otis some time before when coming in as choppers. Mr. Ira Tappon had made a beginning three miles from Watrousville in Rogers. Mr. H. had chopped eight acres before his family came. Three acres of this he cleared, sowed with wheat and got a crop of twenty-seven bushels. This he cleaned with a hand fan of his own making before taking it to mill. In the summer of 1856, he went out south and earned $40 to aid their family finances. Thus they pioneered their course. Their eldest son when small had to go three miles through the woods to school, and other aspects of their surroundings were equally wild, but by dint of earnest effort the disadvantages of those early days were overcome and a pleasant and comfortable home secured. Mrs. Honsinger died May 6, 1856. On February
7, 1858, Mr. H. was married to Miss Almina Oakley, of Akron. She was born in the State of New York, June 10, 1828. They have five children, Harrison, Alice, Frank, Mary and Adeline. Some time ago they sold the pioneer estate, and they have now eighty acres of excellent land in section 19, seventy-five of which are under cultivation. They also have an orchard of apples, cherries, crab-apples and small fruits, an elegant dwelling, and other farm buildings, rendering their farm home a most inviting situation. Now, instead of the hooting of the owl in the near forest as of old, they have the shrill hoot of the railway whistle, as the train comes puffing across their fields from Sebewaing or Saginaw. Mr. H. has been highway commissioner five years, and three years justice of the peace, and is now in his eleventh year as school director in his district. He has belonged to the Methodist Eposcopal Church twenty-two years, and was the first leader of the class organized in the woods. Mrs. H. has belonged about twelve years.
JAMES C. LUCE, farmer, was born in Monroe, Penn., August 12, 1827. He went with his mother to Greenwood, N.Y., in childhood, and resided there until 1852. His father had been accidentally shot when James was about two years old. Mr. Luce was married to Miss Betsy Gardner, of Scio, N. Y., September 11, 1850. She was born January 31, 1833, in the house in which she was afterward married. Their children are, Augusta, Shubel N. (now deceased), Celie, James, Ida (now also dead), Joel, George and Rose. In the spring of 1852 they came to Vassar, and shortly after settled in Gilford. He took up eighty acres of land, cleared a small piece, erected a log shanty and covered it with shakes, but twice had the roof blown off from over the family within. The land near them were taken up but not settled for some years. Mrs. Luce spent nearly four years with no neighbors but Indians, except one white settler who lived over four miles away. She often remained at home while he went away from home to work. She once got in contact with a bear, partly tamed, and had her clothing torn from her person, but escaped without serious injury. Mr. Luce has at times carried their provisions from Vassar, sixteen miles, to their home on his back, carrying fifty pounds at a load. By steady work at home and abroad they gradually overcame the hardships of those early days, and became comfortable in their pioneer home. On March 2, 1859, they came to section 21 in Fair Grove, and again prepared them a pioneer home . Here they repeated many of their former toils, but had less disadvantages than in Gilford. In September, 1864, Mr. Lucy enlisted in the Twenty-ninth Michigan Infantry, and served until mustered out of the service in 1865, after the close of the war. He now has eighty acres of land, seventy of which are under cultivation, He has also an excellent fruit bearing orchard and pleasant home surroundings. He has served as school director twelve years, and fifteen years as overseer of highways . Mrs. Luce died in peace, of congestion of the brain, November 11, 1881. She had been religious over twenty years. The son and daughter also died of the same disease. Mrs. Luce had served as midwife at the birth of 104 children in Tuscola County, and once attended five births in forty-eight hours.
EZRA HEATH, farmer, was born in Williamsfield, Ohio, November 3, 1827. He came from his native State and settled in section 25, in Fair Grove, in May, 1860. He had bought his land in February, 1856. On August 5, 1859, he was married to Miss Malinda Collar, of Fair Grove. She was born in Kendall, N. Y., November 14, 1834. They have two children, Mary L. and Leonard G. They came to their place when all around them was dense forest, except a few small clearings south of their place. Their first dwelling was made of poles and boards; was 12x16 feet in size, and was covered with boards. Their bedstead was made of poles. They had stool for chairs, and they used a cross-legged home-made table, but never suffered for food or clothing, and now, where the lofty forest used to wave they have fertile fields, remunerative crops, delicious fruits and increasing home welfare. They have 160 acres of land with about 100 under cultivation. They have also a thriving orchard of apples, peaches, plums, pears, cherries, grapes and other small fruits, an excellent dwelling, good farm buildings and plenteous home comforts. Mr. Heath states that one Alva Spaulding, formerly of Ohio, came to Fair Grove in the fall of 1856. He took up forty acres of land on section 23, and worked out most of the time to support a large family. He often went and chopped hard all day for provisions for his family, and had only bran bread for his breakfast, dinner and supper. He also had to back in their provisions from Watrousville to their home, a distance of six miles.
JOSHUA A. HEATH, farmer, was born in Williamsfield, Ohio, February 7, 1821, and spent his youth and early manhood there, chiefly in farming and mechanical employments. Some twenty-eight years ago he came to Tuscola County, Mich. He was married July 10, 1858, to Miss Cynthia f. Butler, of Andover, Ohio. She was born there July 30, 1842. Their children are Emerson, Selah, Eddie (now deceased), Clarence and J. C. (now also deceased). They have a quarter section of land in section 26, bought directly from the government. He has about seventy acres under cultivation, an orchard of apples and plums and an inviting home. He has served as highway commissioner and as treasurer of his township. Mrs. Heath is a member of the Protestant Methodist Church.
MRS. NANCY HILLER was born in Rome, N.Y., June 10, 1819, and came to Genesee County, Mich., in November, 1847, with her husband, Michael Hiller. Resided there about ten years. Settled in section 35, in Fair Grove in June, 1856. There was then not even an underbrushed road to their place. Mr. Hiller was killed by a falling tree October 26, 1858, and Mrs. H. was left (with her son) to provide then for ten children, and a few months later for eleven. Afterward three sons went to the army, three others of the family died of fevers, one son returned home and died, and thus the task and troubles of the pioneer mother increased more and more. She and her children have lived a whole week at a time with only the milk of one cow for the whole family to drink to sustain life; and they have lived forty eight hours at a time without any food, the little ones patiently saying, “O,ma, I’m so hungry!” but no food could be obtained. One winter Mrs. H. was for two months unable to get a dress. Five cent calico was 40 cents a yard. But these sufferings have passed away. They have now 120 acres of land with about sixty improved, and with a fruit bearing orchard and a comfortable home.
PETER MAXWELL, farmer, was born in Duanesburgh, N. Y., June 24, 1828. He came to Jackson County, Mich., in 1859; removed to Livingston County in the fall of 1865, and came to Tuscola County in the fall of 1868. He had been married, July 3, 1854, to Miss Elizabeth M. Wheaton, of Newfane, N. Y. She was born in Seneca County, July 14, 1833. They have had eleven children. Those living are Burt D., Carrie B., Tillie A., Arthur T., Sarah J. and Walter E. Those deceased were George A., William H., Edwin H. and Franklin L. and Francis L., twins.
On July 23, 1862, Mr. Maxwell enlisted in the Twentieth Michigan Infantry, Company F. and served his country in the late civil war until discharged May 12, 1865, for disability, caused by a gunshot wound in the right hand and wrist, received in front at Petersburgh. They have now forty acres of land in section 20, in Fair Grove, with about thirty acres improved, and with a thriving orchard and an inviting home. They have been members of the Methodist Episcopal Church since 1858. He is at present a steward, leader and Sabbath-school superintendent in that church.
NATHAN SHERMAN, farmer and carpenter, was born in Vermont, August 4, 1812, and came with his parents to Newfane, N.Y., when about eighteen years old. Later he returned to Vermont and learned his trade, and on September 7, 1839, he was married to Miss Polly Thompson, of Vermont. She was born in that State August 9, 1821. They have four living children, Nelson B., Duane, Loella and Benona. William, the second son, died at the age of thirty-three, in great peace, leaving a wife and one child. Mr. Sherman and family came to Fair Grove, Mich., in the spring of 1860, and settled in section 20. The place was a forest. The land was wet. The water in the creek was knee deep, and abounded with fish. They have given $5 for having a barrel of flour brought from Watrousville, when the price of the flour itself was only $5. It took the man about two days to bring it and return. They have now nearly eighty acres of land, all under cultivation, and pasture. They also have an orchard of apples, peaches, plums, cherries, grapes and other small fruits, and an inviting home. They are members of the Church of the United Brethren in Christ.
NELSON B. SHERMAN, farmer, was born in Vermont, February 2, 1841, and came to Michigan with his parents in 1860. On February 18, 1862, he enlisted in the Seventh Michigan Cavalry, Company C, and served his country in quashing the late rebellion. He fought three days at Gettysburgh and was inn the battles of Winchester, Cold Harbor,, Travillion Station, Thoroughfare Gap and numerous other conflicts. After the close of the war he served in guarding the overland stage route over the Rocky Mountains from the attacks of Indians. During his service he was promoted to the rank of corporal in his regiment. He was honorably discharged from the service September 28, 1865. Shortly afterward he returned to Michigan. He was married October 14, 1868, to Miss Helen J. Cook, of Hartland, Mich. She was born there December 14, 1840. Their children are Raymond, Elroy and Orrisa. They have 140 acres of land in section 17 and 19, in Fair Grove, and have thirty acres under cultivation, with a good dwelling and other farm buildings. Their church preference is for the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mrs. Sherman has been a member therein ever since the age of fifteen years.
W. E. H. GAYLORD, architect, builder and painter, was born in Painted Post, N.Y., November 17, 1822. He went with his parents to Ohio when about thirteen years of age, and afterward resided a while in Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa, and came to Fair Grove, Mich., in 1868. He had been married to Miss E. L. Hutchins, of Perry, Ohio, March 26, 1846. They have had nine children, Marion E., Margaret E., Myraette E., George W., Mary E., Minetta E., Charles H., May E. and Minerva E. Mrs. Gaylord died July 20, 1869. Three of the children still reside with their father in the village of Fair Grove. Mr. Gaylord serves as township school inspector, has been justice of the peace about six years, and is also a notary public. On October 8, 1861, he enlisted in the Fifty-fifth Illinois Infantry, and served his country in suppressing treason, until discharged in February, 1863, for disability caused by a gunshot wound in the right arm, received at the battle of Shiloh.
GEORGE W. CRANE, merchant, was born in Oakland County, Mich., February 2, 1850. He removed from there in his youth to Genesee County, and later went to Saginaw County, where he resided several years, employed as saw filer and foreman in lumbering, in both of which he enjoyed profitable success. On August 23, 1881, he opened a commercial business in Sebewaing, in Huron County; but just one year later he transferred his business to Akron Station on the Saginaw, Tuscola & Huron Railway, where he had invested in lands suitable for a village enterprise, believing that business facilities there offered pleasing inducements. He soon realized the correctness of his former estimate, as there is already one saw –mill running and two more in course of erection; one store also beside his own has been opened; also two blacksmith shops and a postoffice. There is also a hotel in prospect in the near future, and most of the this on ground where a few months ago the forest was unbroken. Mr. Crane conducts a well furnished store of dry goods, groceries, boots and shoes and general merchandise, with a steadily increasing custom, and has almost daily requests for lands for residences and business plats in the rising village, of which he has thus became the founder. On March 9, 1882, he was married to Miss Dora Mast, of Sebewaing. She was born in Unionville, Mich., march 18, 1862. At the age of sixteen years Mr. Crane stood six feet in height and weighed 155 pounds and had assisted in clearing a farm of 120 acres; but he then betook himself to his trade and to various studies, thus qualifying himself by dint of earnest effort and toil both socially and financially for the success in business enterprise which he and his companion now enjoy. He started business with $2,700, and in eighteen months has increased to $4,500.
SPENCER L. JUDD, farmer, was born in Geauga Coutny, Ohio, December 16, 1844. He received his education and early culture in his native State, and in early life became accustomed to agricultural pursuits and diary work. He was married august 29, 1866, to Miss Mary R. foster, of Madison, Ohio. She was born December 15, 1847, in the dwelling in which she was afterward married. They have four living children, Charles a., Nellie M., Roy S. and Edith Louise. They came to Fair Grove, Mich., in April, 1872, and settled in section 2. They have 120 acres of land, with about 100 acres under cultivation and pasture. They have a young orchard of various fruits, good buildings and a pleasant farm home. One fine orchard has been destroyed by borers. Mr. Judd’s barn and out-buildings are especially commodious and convenient. Others may do well to imitate them in building. The barn proper is 34x50 feet, with twenty feet posts, and with elegant windows to light the threshing floor. The drive room, 20x28 feet, has sixteen feet posts. The horse stable and granary are under the main body. The stable for cattle is a part of the shed, which has one part sixty-nine feet long and eighteen feet wide; it also has a wing sixty feet long and sixteen feet wide, and all built with fourteen feet posts; and the whole supplemented with adornments and appurtenances both beautiful and useful at a cost of some $2,000. Scarcely any of the settlers raised wheat enough for their bread when Mr. Judd first came to the place, but he prepared about six and one –half acres and sowed it with wheat, and he received about twenty-five bushels to the acre. His second crop on the same ground averaged about thirty, and the third about forty-six bushels to the acre. This aroused almost all in the place to at once engage in wheat raising. Mr. Judd has now on one of his fields the eleventh successive crop of beautiful wheat. Religiously, Mr. and Mrs. Judd are Episcopal Methodists.