This town is bounded on the north by Fair Grove, having Denmark on the west, Vassar to the south and Indian Fields east. Cass River flows through the southeast corner of the town, about three sections lying to the south and east of the river. The most of the town is rolling; about one-third perhaps, in the southeast corner along the river, being level and having a more sandy soil than the other two-thirds, which is generally a clay loam.
This was among the earliest settled towns in the county. The first settlers in the town were Levi Rogers and family, who came in early in 1850. The first blow struck for improvement was by Andrew Jackson Rogers on land which his father had purchased of Townsend North. From Levi Rogers the town took the name of Rogers under which it was organized.
Shortly after came two German families, and about the same time William Jameson, Jonas Belknap, Ezra A. Belknap, John Freeman, S. H. Moore, Daniel Gorton Truman, and within the next two years Patrick McGlone, Ephraim Smith, Frank Fairman, Daniel Kinyon King Allen, Hiram Gibbs, Lucius Marvin, James Wing, Henry S. Russell, William Law, Andrew Schultz, Nelson Vickery, William Fenner, Daniel T. Tonkrey, E. Miller, R. G. Black.
Until 1852 the only roads were the lumbermens supply and logging roads, very serviceable in winter but almost impassable in spring and summer. In 1852 a road was laid out from the present site of Watrousville which was cut through in 1853, the people generally turning out and helping to open the road. The Commissioners to lay to this road were Jackson Rogers and William Jameson. Martin Miller, of Tuscola, was surveyor.
The first marriage in the town was of Silas H. Moore, son of Alfred and Hannah Moore, of Canton, Wayne County, Mich., and Sarah Rogers, daughter of Levi and Abigail Rogers, December 24, 1851, by Orin A. Gibbs, of Vassar.
The first death was of William Law, February 5, 1852.
The First birth was of Charlotte, daughter of King and Sarah Allen, November 24, 1851. She died March 24, 1852.
The first school meeting was held in May, 1853, at the house of Patrick McGlone.
The first school in the town of Juniata was taught in the summer of 1853 by Miss Ellen E. Miller, now wife of Charles R. Selden, of Caro. The building used was a low log shanty, built by D. G. Wilder to live in, until he could construct a better habitation. It stood nearly opposite the present site of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in Watrousville. The following are the names of pupils who attended this first tem of school: Sarah, Arvilla and Eliza McGlone, George, Charles and Abraham Pettingill, Nancy, John and Dall Streeter, Jennie and James King, George Smith, mary, Sally, Albert and Emily Schultz, Martha Huntley, Lemuel Gamble, Jonathan, Clarissa and Salmon Simons, nelson and Dana Miller and Ann Morrell.
Mrs. E. H. Hudson, daughter of Mr. William Jameson, speaks of the first sermon preached in the town of Juniata, ws preached in my fathers house by the Rev. Mr. Selden, a brother of Mr. Joseph Selden, who for years was our beloved and respected neighbor.
The Rev. gentleman came from his New England home to visit his brother, and spent the Sabbath there. As my fathers house offered larger room than any other in that vicinity, he accepted an invitation to preach there and did so to about thirty souls, a pretty well-filled house for those days. This was, I think, in the second year of our pioneer life. You that sit every Sabbath in your grand churches little know how sweet to us were the words of life as they fell from the lips of that good man. We had no churches then; we had no schools, no art galleries, no rail roads. No set forms of society troubled us, no social inflictions marred our peace.
But we had a hearty welcome for all. Alike we welcomed the friend or stranger, the old and the young, the rich and the poor; the cultured or the child of nature shared the hospitalities of our humble homes. Society made no chains for us, but our motto was charity and good will to all.
LAND ENTRIES PRIOR TO 1860
TOWNSHIP 12 NORTH, RANGE 8 EAST
Section 1. James Fraser, April 26, 1851
Daniel Kinyon, August 13, 1851
John Chaffee, August 17, 1852
Hiram Utley, November 13, 1851
August Howell, August 3, 1852
Section 2 David Kestler, September 1, 1851
Matthew Hiller, August 3, 1852
William Patterson, May 6, 1852
Samuel H. Hewes, July 1, 1852
Samuel Hewes, July 2, 1852
Lewis K. VanGieson, Augst 10, 1852
Matthew Hiller, April 3, 1855
Warner W. Vandersen, October 23, 1855
Section 3 Andrew Hartman, December 8, 1851
Charles Low, January 16, 1852
Ebenezer Jennings, August 23, 1852
James VanValkenburgh, November, 10, 1852
James H. Streeter, August 12, 1853
James King, August 24, 1853
William Burton, December 12, 1854
William D. Willson, August 6, 1855
Section 4 Erastur Marr, Aug 23, 1850
Erastus Marr, June 14, 1852
Michael Thornton, April 27, 1853
John Borland, December 2, 1853
Aaron Watrous, Jr., December 14, 1853
Franklin Poppin, January 27, 1854
Charlotte Luther, December 11, 11854
Section 5 Thomas Rutherford, November 17, 1852
James Gibson, November 19, 1852
James Gibson, March 22, 1853
David Eaton, October 15, 1851
Gurdon Mathewson, October 15, 1851
Jane Blanck, June 23, 1852
Thomas Rutherford, October 27, 1852
Seymour Winchell, May 10, 1853
Anthony R. Cook, May 10, 1853
Mark Carrington, April 24, 1854
Section 6 Isaac Hodges, September 5, 1851
William F. Roth, November 15, 1851
Abraham B. Smith, December 13, 1851
James Edsall, December 13, 1851
Townsend North, November 17, 1852
Townsend North, December 1, 1852
Henry Hutchinson, January 10, 1853
Andrew Schultz, December 13, 1853
Mark Carrington, April 25, 1854
Section 7 William R. Young, April 13, 1852
Porter Edmunds, December 20, 1852
Francis Rogers, March 2, 1852
Aaron Rogers, Jr., November 29, 1853
Aaron Rogers, Jr., May 22, 1854
Section 8 Alexander Thorn, February 16, 1852
Alexander Schackleton, February 26, 1852
John Borland, March 3 1853
Levi Rogers, October 20, 1851
Daniel Gorton, November 5, 1853
John Borland, November 26, 1853
Aaron Watrous, Jr. May 22, 1854
Section 9 Daniel Gorton, June 10, 1850
Hannah McGlone, July 6, 1850
Erastus Marr, April 30, 1852
Asa Stoddard, January 19, 1852
Section 10 Jacob Winchell, November 20, 1850
Clarissa Webster,September 20, 1850
Noah Felt, April 5, 1852
Darius Hodges, September 19, 1851
Ezra Haley, December 8, 1851
Section 11 Martin Watrous and Aaron Watrous, Jr., May 5, 1851
Hiram Gibbs, March 1, 1852
Edwin K. Pulsipher, May 6, 1852
Nelson Hewes, May 6, 1852
James Sanders, May 14, 1852
Elijah Gibbs, June 19, 1852
David Black, et. al., April 25, 1852
Section 12 King Allen, October 20, 1851
Henry S. Russell, May 18, 1852
Eli Hyde, June 2, 1852
Amos Andrews, June 2, 1852
Hiram Allen, September 15, 1853
Martin Watrous, January 5, 1853
David H. Andrews, November 3, 1853
Section 13 Martin Watrous and Aaron Watrous, Jr., May 5 1851
Martin Watrous August 23, 1851
Martin Watrous, January 9, 1852
Charles G. Southworth, June 4, 1852
Martin Watrous, May 19, 1853
Samuel T. Atwater, July 1, 1854
Nelson Kile, April 1, 1858
Section 14 Martin Watrous and Aaron watrous, jMay 5, 1851
Martin Watrous, August 23, 1851
John Moore, September 15, 1851
John Latham, September 15, 1851
Christian Burns, May 18, 1852
David Gamble, December 1, 1852
Aaron Watrous,Jr., June 16, 1853
Aaron Watrous, Jr., September 13, 1853
Patrick McGlone, August 24, 1855
Patrick McGlone, November 14, 1856
Section 15 Daniel G. Wilder, March 16, 1850
Thomas Chapman, October 9, 1850
James P. Toncray, January 13, 1851
Henry Pettingill, September 20, 1852
Aaron Watrous, Jr., May 10, 1853
SECTION 16 E. Briggs, May 4, 1851
James Gotham, September 15, 1851
S. Andrews, September 15, 1851
Lot Wilder, October 27, 1852
P. H. Rickert, October 4, 1853
Aaron Watrous, January 15, 1859
Lot Wilder, December 19, 1853
D. R. Sortwell, December 30, 1853
Section 17 Townsend North, February 14, 1846
Section 18 Townsend North, February 14, 1846
Section 19 Townsend North, February 14, 1846
Section 20 Townsend North, February 14, 1846
Section 21 Alfred Moore, November 29, 1850
Alfred Moore, May 3, 1851
Alfred Moore, April 30, 1851
Aaron Watrous, June 29, 1853
Alfred Moore, October 25, 1853
Alfred Moore, November 22, 1849
Section 22 Gearhart Kile, April 10, 1852
Martin Watrous, may 19, 1853
Aaron Watrous, Jr., June 4, 1853
Lafayette Wilder, March 15, 1855
Stephen G. Miller, October 29, 1857
Section 23 Russell Merrill, March 29, 1856
William Fenner, August 11, 1856
Martin Watrous, November 16, 1858
Martin Watrous, November 17, 1858
Section 24 Gardner D. Williams and James Fraser, February 11, 1857
David Robinson, September 30, 1851
Samuel T. Atwater, July , 1854
Martin Watrous, December 28, 1854
William Fenner, November 6, 1855
Section 25 Gardner D. Williams and James Fraser, February 11, 1837
Samuel T. Atwater, July 1, 1854
William King, August 11, 1856
Moses B. Hess, August 26, 1856
Section 26 Douglass Houghton, May 10, 1836
Martin Watrous, February 23, 1853
William King, August 11, 1856
Edmund H. Hazelton, August 21, 1856
Section 27 Horace C. Babcock, December 7 1852
Martin Watrous, January 5, 1853
Daniel Castle, January 22, 1853
Martin Watrous, August 2, 1853
Joshua D. Smith, August 23, 1853
Henry D. Braddock, November 14, 1855
Section 28 Stephen J. Miller, October 29, 1857
Aaron Watrous, August 5, 1858
Aaron Watrous, November 23, 1858
Section 29 Alfred Moore, May 3, 1851
Thomas Rutherford, February 10, 1852
Benjamin Ames, February 6, 1852
Aaron Watrous, Jr., December 14, 1853
Wm. Allen, August 31, 1855
Joseph Gamble, June 11, 1859
Aaron Watrous, August 5, 1858
Section 30 James M. Edward, February 28, 1850
James M. Edwards, April 19, 1850
James M. Edwards, April 28, 1850
Townsend North, February 14, 1846
Section 31 Sabin Gibbs, November 22, 1850
Ezra A. and James G. Belknap, December 17, 1850
Timothy Showerman, June 6, 1851
Rufus Brown, June 6, 1851
Amos Parks, January 13, 1853
Alonzo P. Rowland, November 6, 1855
Section 32 David Ringle, August 22, 1853
Norman W. Perkins, August 25, 1854
Silas Rich, August 10, 1855
Alonzo P. Rowland, November 6, 1855
Norman W. Perkins, February 11, 1856
John Chase, September 27, 1858
Section 33 David Ringle, August 22, 1853
Levi Fairchild, November 10, 1855
John Terwilliger, December 18, 1855
John J. McDougall, June 22, 1857
Section 34 Gardner D. Williams and James Fraser, February 11, 1837
Daniel Castler, January 22, 1853
Henry D. Braddock, November 14, 1855
Susan Miller, August 18, 1858
Section 35 Douglass Houghton, May 10, 1836
Edmund H. Hazelton, August 24, 1857
Mary E. Berry, August 24, 1857
John Bourn, December 9, 1859
Section 36 Douglass Houghton, May 10, 1836
Daniel D. Dewey, March 13, 1854
Joshua D. Smith, James M. Baldwin and David G. Slafter, May 26, 1854
Moses B. Hess, August 30, 1856
The township of Rogers was organized by act of legislature, approved March 2, 1851, and comprised the following territory, to wit: Townships, 12, 13 and 14 north, of ranges 7 and 8 east, and township 15 north, of range 8 east.
In 1857, the name of the town was changed, by act of legislature, from Rogers to Juniata.
The first town meeting was held April 7, 1851, at the house of Levi Rogers, at which the following officers were elected, viz, Supervisor, Ephraim Smith; clerk, Joseph Selden; treasurer, Truman H. Lake; commissioner of highways, Silas H. Moore; school inspector, Daniel Gorton; justices of the peace, Jonas G. Belknap and Levi Rogers; constables, Andrew J. Rogers and William S. Jameson; poor-master, P. McGlone; overseers of highways, Ezra Belknap, District No. 1, and G. W. P. Rogers, District No. 2. The whole number of votes cast was thirteen.
At a meeting of the town board, September 30, it was voted to raise $60 for town expenses.
In 1852, the town meeting voted to raise $250 for highway purposes.
December 14, 1852, Daniel Gorton was appointed treasurer, to fill vacancy occasioned by Truman H. Lake, being elected sheriff of the county.
In 1853, $250 was voted for highway purposes. In December of the same year, Silas H. Moore was appointed agent for the town to sell spirituous liquors.
The treasurers statement, dated December 10, 1853, shows:
State and county tax ..$321.65
Town tax . 100.00
Highway tax 250.00
Non-resident delinquent tax 277.71
School districts 482.25
Mill tax ..65.00
In 1856 the whole number of votes cast at town meeting was 103.
In July, 1856, the boards of Rogers, Fairgrove and Akron, met at Watrousville, for the purpose of effecting a mutual settlement. The following rule of division was adopted, viz. That moneys credits and debts, be debits, be divided in the proportion of 59/100 to Rogers, 275/1000 to Fairgrove, and 135/1000 to Akron, on which basis a settlement was made.
September 4, 1857, Theophilus Baldwin was appointed clerk by the town board, in place of O. P. Chubb, resigned.
Under date of October 17, 1857, appears a report of Patrick McGlone and Frederick Schilling, commissioners under act of the legislature, appointed to lay out a road from Sebewaing to Cass River, and of D. E. Cranston, surveyor, that they have laid out and established a road, on a line described, from the northeast corner of section 4, through the town to the right bank of Cass River; and of B. A. Wood and Henry Wideman, commissioners, that they have laid out and established a road from the southeast corner of section 36, on a line described, to an intersection with the Sebewaing and Cass River road.
In 1858, $300 was raised for highway purposes.
In 1859, 109 votes were cast at town meeting.
The annual settlement with the treasurer in 1850, showed the following debits:
Supervisors warrant ..$1169.69
Cash of county treasurer ..50.00
Primary school money .84.16
County orders .164.44
The number of votes cast in 1860 was 130.
November 16, 1860, the supervisor reported taxes to be collected as follows.
Town purposes ...$378.29
State and county tax 711.60
April 8, 1861, A.B. Weaver was by the town board appointed supervisor, in placeof Andrew Davidson, resigned.
January 6, 1854, a special town meeting was held at the house of H. G. Vaughn for the purpose of raising money to relieve the town for the draft. It was voted unanimously, to authorize the town board to issue bonds to the amount of $3,000, for the payment of bounties to volunteers for military service, and in the following March the board executed bonds of $200 each, to the amount of $2,600. The amount of the assessment roll for the year, as per warrant, was $2,40.35.
The total number of votes cast at the annual election in 1864 was 152.
At a special town meeting August 15, 1864, it was voted to raise by tax $100, for each man credited to the town on the two last calls from this date, for military service.
At the presidential election is 1864, 160 votes were cast.
The annual meeting for 1865, authorized to pay out of the contingent fund a sufficient sum to pay the amount due volunteers, who went into military service the previous fall and were credited to the town, under the call for 500,000 men, money which had been raised by subscription, to be paid into the treasury; and $2,600 was ordered raised, to pay bonds coming due the following spring.
Taxes for 1865, as per supervisors warrant, were $5,764.68.
In 1866, $2,000 was ordered raised, to pay soldiers bonds.
Total number of votes cast at the election, 161.
In 1867, a bounty of $12 was voted for every wolf killed.
At the annual meeting in 1868, 79 votes were cast for the annual sessions of the legislature, and 20 for the biennial sessions.
90 votes were cast for prohibition, and 17 against.
At a special town meeting held June 25, 1868, it was voted to raise for per cent on the assessed valuation of the town, as a bonus to the East Saginaw & Watrousville Plank Road Company, on conditions specified.
August 29, 1868, the town board appointed Benjamin A. Wood supervisor, to fill vacancy caused by the death of J. W. Rogers. In October, Mr. Wood having resigned, Henry P. Atwood was appointed supervisor.
The amount of tax roll for 1869 was $4,491.13.
The number of votes cast in 1870 was 170.
At the November election of 1872, 210 votes wer cast for governor.
The amount of the tax roll for 1874 was $3,684.30; for 1875 it was 4, 466.04.
In April, 1878, the town board appointed John M. Cole supervisor, in place of E. B. Hayes, resigned.
The total tax for 1878 was $7,113.73.
InOctober, 1882, a vacancy having occurred in the office of treasurer, by the death of John Walton,. Perry Y. Yohnson was appointed by the board.
In December, 1882, E. B. Hayes having resigned the office of supervisor, T. M. Rutherford was apponted to fill the vacancy.
Census of 1860: Population, 643; number of families, 134; number of dwelling, 124; number of farms, 135; number of acres of improved land, 3,045; number of horses, 82; number of cows, 192; bushels of wheat, 7,695; bushels of rye, 152; bushels of corn, 7,250; bushels of oats, 4,579; bushels of potatoes, 3,579; pounds of wool, 512; pound of butter made, 14,773; pounds of cheese made, 500; tons of hay cut, 333; flouring-mills, 1; saw-mills, 1.
Census of 1864: Population, 766; number of acres of taxable land, 12,780; number of acres improved, 4,034; bushels of corn preceding year, 9,010; bushels of wheat preceding year, 11, 692; bushels of potatoes preceding year, 4,943, tons of hay preceding year, 844; pounds of wool sheared, 2,073; pounds of butter made, 19,175; pounds of cheese made, 870; flouring-mills, 1; saw-mills, 1
Census of 1870: Population, 1,042; families, 204; dwellings, 202; farms, 133; voters, 231; bushels of wheat raised, 2132; bushels of corn, 13,471; bushels of oats, 11,356; bushels of potatoes, 16,995; tons of hay, 1,467; number of acres improved land, 6,012; pounds of wool sheared, 9,121; pounds of butter made, 36,569; pounds of cheese made, 730.
Census of 1874: Population, 1,041; number of horses, 319; number cows, 427; bushels of wheat raised, 17,377; bushels of corn, 21,490; bushels of apples, 4,496; bushels of potatoes, 17,670; tons of hay, 1,493.
Population in 1880, 1,302; total equalized valuation in 1882, $549,194; number of farms in 1881, 157; acres of improved land, 9,091; bushels of wheat raised in 1880, 50,634; corn, 79,625; tons of hay, 1,211.
In Juniata there are eight school districts, one of which if fractional. The directors are Q. Tappan, E. B. Hayes, W. J. Lawe, Ambrose Lewis, David Johnson, J. F. Riley, Nelson Miller.
Whole number of children of school age in the town, 400; number that attended school during the year, 320.
YEAR SUPERVISOR CLERK TREASURER COMMISSIONER
1883 James R. Borland John A. Hatch Perry Y. Johnson Nelson Miller
1882 Eleazar B. Hayes John A. Hatch John Walton Perry Y. Johnson
1881 Eleazar B. Hayes John A. Hatch John Walton Perry Y. Johnson
1880 Eleazar B.Hayes C. T. Jarvis Perry Y. Johnson T. M. Rutherford
1879 Eleazar B.Hayes John A. Hatch Perry Y. Johnson Richard M. Ross
1878 Eleazar B.Hayes John A. Hatch Daniel G. Wilder D. W. Altenbury
1877 Eleazar B.Hayes John A. Hatch James R. Borland ..
1876 Eleazar B.Hayes John A. Hatch James R. Borland ..
1875 Eleazar B.Hayes John A. Hatch James R. Borland ..
1874 Eleazar B.Hayes John A. Hatch James R. Borland ..
1873 Washington Ball Chas T. Jarvis James R. Borland ..
1872 Washington Ball John A. Hatch James R. Borland ..
1871 Washington Ball John A. Hatch James R. Borland .
1870 Eleazar B. Hayes A. R. Carter James R. Borland
1869 Eleazar B. Hayes A. R. Carter James R. Borland
1868 J. Warren Rogers R. C. Burtis James R. Borland
1867 J. Warren Rogers A. R. Carter James R. Borland
1866 D. G. Wilder A. R. Carter James S. Deming
1865 Benj. A. Wood A. R. Carter James R. Borland
1864 Richard C. Burtis John Harmon James R. Borland
1863 D. G. Wilder John Harmon James R. Borland
1862 D. G. Wilder J. M. Watrous James R. Borland
1861 Andrew Davidson J. M. Watrous James R. Borland
1860 Jonathan F. Black Theo. Baldwin James Simonds ...
1859 Jonathan F. Black Theo Baldwin B.A. Wood ...
1858 Aaron Watrous Theo Baldwin William King ...
1857 Aaron Watrous Orvil P. Chubb William King
1856 D. G. Wilder J. W. Wilber G. Kile ..
1855 No Record
1854 Daniel Kinyon David M. Black G. Kile
1853 Joseph Selden Silas H. Moore D. G. Wilder
1852 Ephraim Smith Joseph Selden Truman H. Lake
1851 Ephraim Smith Joseph Selden Truman H. Lake
This village is located in sections 9, 10, 15 and 16 of the town of Juniata. In February, 1851, Patrick McGlone settled on section 9 and built a log house. This the necessities of travel compelled him to turn into a tavern, this being on the thoroughfare for lumbermen, settlers and prospectors seeking pine or farming lands. Mr. McGlone was also a woodman and well acquainted with the surrounding country, which fact caused his aid to be constantly sought by seekers after homes in the wilderness.
In October, 1852, came to McGlones Aaron Watrous with a crew of men to commence lumbering on the Cass River, and made his home with McGlone during the winter. The latter proposed to him to build a mill at that point, to which Mr. Watrous assented, provided sufficient pine could be located to warrant a mill. Returning in June, 1853, with A. B. Weaver and Wright, and finding from Mr. McGlones report that the necessary pine could be secured, a site was purchased of D. G. Wilder in the northwest quarter of section 15 and the mill built in 1853. In the same year Mr. Watrous built a frame lean-to to his log boarding-house and put in a stock of goods. This point thus became established as a center of trade. It was for many years the depot of supply for all the country to the north and northeast. Mr. Watrous put in a run of stone and at once tended to this point the steps of settlers from every direction, bringing, generally, on their backs their small bags of grain. The miller was A. B. Weaver, and never did a miller have a more motley array of grists to grind. The average did not exceed a half bushel, and it was mostly corn. The elevating at first was very primitive, a box beneath receiving the meal which was carried up by hand, for bolting. This, however, was a great improvement on the more primitive coffee-mill method, and was welcomed accordingly.
Not only for his business enterprise is Mr. Watrous remembered, but also for his kindly heart and for the ready aid he gave to many an early settler about whose door the wolf of privation, hunger and distress was prowling. Many instances are related of his prompt response to the appeal of the struggling pioneer, and many a pack was loaded by him with flour and pork, for which his only payment was a promise of an honest man and the pleasant consciousness of a kindly act.
We find the following paragraph written by E. E. Caster while on a visit to Watrousville in May, 1867. He says: Watrousville is in reality only about eight or ten years old. I remember sleeping in the woods one night, near this place, and listening to the howling of the wolves until nearly daylight, when they ceased their music. Mr. McGlones long shanty then stood here, a lone sentinel in the wilderness. Now there is a very tasty little village here, which contains, by actual count, upward of seventy buildings of various dimensions. One steam saw-mill, which also drives a run of stone for custom work, two hotels, six stores of various sizes and kinds, a good school building, which is used for church purposes also, and three residences especially noticeable for their elegance.
Prior to 1856 the people of Watrousville and vicinity had received their mail by private conveyance from Vassar. Uniting together for that purpose they employed a messenger who came in on foot or on horseback once a week, usually on Saturday or Sunday, and was paid one dollar for the trip. Chauncey Furman was the carrier most of the time.
In 1856 a mail route was established from Vassar to Sebewaing by way of Watrousville, Mr. Furman being contractor, and a postoffice was established at the latter place with Aaron Watrous as postmaster. In 1861 B. A. Wood became postmaster. The following persons have held the office since, viz: Henry B. Wilber, R.C. Burtis, Geo. Rogers, B. A. Wood, a second term, John Walton, J. A. Hamilton, and again B. A. Wood, the present incumbent.
A graded school was established in District No. 4, which includes the village of Watrousville, about 1875. It has two departments and an attendance of about seventy-five pupils, the number of children of school age in the district being, by the last census, one hundred and four. The teachers engaged for the year, commencing in September, 1883, are Thomas Allen and sister. The trustees are: Am. Lewis, director; R. S. Weaver, assessor; J. M. Cole moderator; Dr. Richard Morris and R. D. Black.
WOMENS CHRISTIAN TEMPERANCE UNION
This society was organized in Watrousville in 1882. It has from the first been deeply interested and attentive to the work for which it was established. Meetings are held every alternate Thursday evening at the Methodist Episcopal Church. The membership is now fifteen. The officers are: President Mrs. A. Stafford; corresponding secretary, Mrs. R.S. Weaver; recording secretary, Mrs. D. R. Lewis; treasurer, T. Rathburn.
THE CHOSEN FRIENDS
Tuscola Council, No. 47, of this order, the primary object of which is mutual life insurance, was organized January 5, 1883, with sixteen members. Ten have since been added. The officers are: Russell D. Black, C. C.; Mrs. Annie E. Fish, V.C. C.; D. r. Lewis, secretary; Mrs. E. M. Black, treasurer; Mrs. D. R. Lewis, prelate; Jas. H. Simpson, marshal; Mrs. M. A. Arnold, warden; Edwin Hardy, guard: Chas. Thursby, sentry.
SEVENTH DAY ADVENTIST CHUARCH
A church of this denomination was organized in the fall of 1865 by Elders I. D. Van Horn and D. M. Canright with thirty-seven members. It was formally organized for incorporation February 24, 1866, when at a meeting of persons who had signed articles of association for the purpose of forming a religious society to be known as the Society of Seventh Day Adventists of Watrousville, the following persons were elected trustees, viz: Zephaniah Wilber, Andrew J. Rogers and John Walton. Services were held in school-houses until 1869, when a neat plain church edifice was erected in the village of Watrousville, with a seating capacity of about one hundred. Services are held every Saturday, with occasional preaching by Elder Wm. Ostrander and others. The present membership is about thirty-two. The Sabbath-school has about twenty-seven members. The trustees of the church are J. A. Hatch, C. W. Hartson and Calvin Jewett.
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
About the year 1856 a class of the M. E. Church was organized at Watrousville. Services were held regularly at the school-house until the building of their house of worship.
At the quarterly conference held at Vassar, February 18, 1865, the following persons were elected trustees of the church at Watrousville, Viz.: William King, James Simonds, Elisha Kenyon, Harris Stillson and Philip Davis; the corporation to be described and known as the Trustees of the First Methodist Society in Watrousville.
In 1871 a church building was erected under the pastorate of Rev. J. B. Russell. It is a convenient and commodious structure and built with excellent taste. Its dimensions on the ground are 36 X 60 feet, and its seating capacity about 400. The present membership of the church is thirty-eight. The pastor at the present time is Rev. W. J. Bailey. The trustees of the society are E. Higgins, G. Kile, E. B. Rose, R. S. Weaver, Wm. Eckley, A. Stafford and W. Walton. A prosperous Sunday-school numbering eighty members is connected with the church.
A class also meets at the Belknap school-house in the southwest part of the town, supplied by Rev. Mr. White, of Vassar, services being held every Sunday.