HISTORY OF TUSCOLA COUNTY
YEAR. SUPERVISOR CLERK TREASURER
A. Lenox William
N. Riker Daniel
1882 George C. Thompson Welton Vanwagnen Francis Rhodes
1881 Henry A. Bishop A. D. Walterhouse Francis Rhodes
1880 Ira A. Sprague Henry A. Bishop Christopher Dewitt
1879 Daniel N. Blocher Henry A. Bishop Christopher Dewitt
1878 Ira A. Sprague Henry A. Bishop Henry Wolfe
1877 Ira A. Sprague Henry A. Bishop T. H. Burnham
H. Burnham R.
1875 John G. Smith R. Rathbun Ira A. Sprague
1874 John G. Smith Welton Vanwagnen Ira A. Sprague
1873 T. H. Burnham Welton Vanwagnen Ira A. Sprague.
1872 Richard R. Atwood David Rogers William L. Tenney
1871 Richard R. Atwood Welton Vanwagnen A. DeWitt
1870 T. H. Burnham Welton Vanwagnen A. DeWitt
1869 Richard R. Atwood Welton Vanwagnen A. DeWitt
1868 Richard R. Atwood Welton Vanwagnen A. DeWitt
1867 Hiram Remich Samuel Atwood S. A. Comstock
1866 Hiram Remich L. W. Cardwell D. N. Blocher
1865 Hiram Remich L. W. Cardwell D. N. Blocher
1864 John G. Smith A.W. Greene D. N. Blocher
1863 John G. Smith D. N. Blocher Jeremiah Youmans
1862 Bernard Beal D. N. Blocher Jeremiah Youmans
1861 John G. Smith D. N. Blocher Jeremiah Youmans
1860 C. Gordon D. N. Blocher Wm. Richardson
1859 John G. Smith D. N. Blocher Wm. Richardson
1858 Joshua Merrill George Turner Wm. Richardson
1857 Bernard Beal Samuel A. Comstock Jonah Parker
1856 Amos Wolverton Jay Rice Edwin E. Brainerd
1855 Amos Wolverton Jay Rice H. Patterson
JOEL BECKWITH was born in the State of New York, but was brought up in Vermont, where he learned the trade of a machinist. Came to Michigan in 1855. Located first at Flint, where he worked in McFarland’s saw-mill. Built and run the first shingle-mill in that city. Afterward lived in Richfield Township, Genesee County, where he run a shingle-mill. Came to Millington in 1863 and cleared up a farm. Has held the offices of justice of the peace, highway commissioner, etc. Is married and has five children living.
DANIEL N. BLOCHER was born in Clarence, Erie County, N. Y., where he was a farmer. Came to Michigan in 1851 and farmed it for some years in Genesee County. Bought land in the township of Millington in 1855, but did not settle on it until 1859, and on which he now farms it. Has been a lumberman and also run a shingle-mill in 1864-’65. Has held the offices of justice of the peace, supervisor, treasurer, county superintendent of the poor, etc. Has been justice twenty years. Was postmaster of Millington from 1861 to 1866, and again appointed in August 1883. Is senior member of the ifrm of Blocher & Rathbun, druggists, etc. Married twice and has three children.
OLIVER P. GOULD was born in Colden, Erie County, N. Y. He was brought up on a farm, receiving his education in the common schools and at the academy at Springville. He came to Michigan in 1861, and for a number of years was a clerk at Orion and Pontiac. Was in Gunn & Locke’s establishment in Detroit in 1864-’65. Was in business at Metamora, Lapeer County, Oakwood, Oakland County, and Ortonville, Genesee County. Came to Millington in 1875. Was at first in partnership with his brother, but bought him out in 1878. Is in the general mercantile trade; also carries on a furniture and undertaking business. Was president of the village for two years. Has been married twicde, the first wife only living two years. Was married to his present wife, who was a Miss Mary C. Welles, in 1871. They have two children.
AMARIAH P. IRELAND was born in Otsego County, N. Y., and came to Michigan in 1852, settling on a farm in Groveland, Oakland County, where he remained until 1856, when he removed to what is now the township of Millington, Tuscola County. Has been justice of the peace, highway commissioner, constable, etc. Enlisted in Company A, Twenty-ninth Michigan Infantry, serving with the regiment until it was mustered out at Murfreesboro, Tenn., September 6, 1865. He is a stone mason by trade, but now follows farming. Married and has a family of eight children living. Mr. I. has been and is now a very powerful man, capable at one time of lifting 900 pounds. He relates as a reminiscence of the early days in Millington that he had to go to Goodrichville for flour once. The distance was twenty-five miles. He brought home with him fifty pounds. The condition of the roads was such that he could only carry twenty-five pounds at a time. This he would carry about two miles and then leave it and go back for the other twenty-five. By so doing he finally got the whole fifty home. That was “earning your bread by the sweat of your brow,” and no mistake.
GEORGE C. THOMPSON was born in Kendall, Orleans County, N. Y. For some time before coming to Michigan he was in the grain and produce trade at Spencerport and Holly, N. Y. Was also in G. W. Burbank’s flouring establishment at Rochester, N. Y., for two years. In December, 1868, he located in Arbela township, Tuscola County, where he bought land and made a farm. In March, 1881, he purchased the Millington House in the village of Millington, and has since kept that popular hostelry. In Arbela he was school director five years and moderator two years. He was appointed supervisor for that township, holding the office for five years by election. A vacancy in the same office occurring after he came to Millington, he was appointed in the fall of 1882 to fill it. In addition to farming he has lumbered also. Is married and has two children.
DANA B. RICHARDSON, attorney, is a native of Tuscola County, having been born in Tuscola township. He is a son of the well known and popular Colonel John H. Richardson. He was educated at the State normal school, Whitewater, Wis., and at the Michigan State University, from which he graduated in 1874. Was admitted to the bar at Saginaw City the same year. He was deputy clerk of Saginaw County for a time, and since coming to Millington has held the office of township superintendent of schools and village assessor. Married to Miss Alice V. Burnham in 1876. They have two sons.
DAMON BROTHERS. – Isaac T. Camon was born in Lake County, Ohio. Lived for a number of years in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. In 1870 bought a fam in Arbela, Tuscola County. Commenced business in Millington in 1876, and rents his farm. Deals in hardware, tinware, etc. Married Mary Reed, of Ohio, in 1865. They have three children. During the war he served three years being a member of the Eleventh Wisconsin Infantry. Was wounded at the siege of Vicksburg, and was sixteen months in hospital. John A. Damon was also born in Lake County, Ohio, and went with his family to Wisconsin. Was educated at the State University at Madison. Has taught school. Commenced to learn the druggist’s trade at Beloit, Wis., in 1872, in which city he remained four years. Came to Millington in 1876 and opened a drug store. Has been village treasurer and superintendent of schools. Married to Ella G. Jewett of Beloit, Wis., in 1873. They have two children.
ANTHONY DEWITT, Postmaster of Millington, was born in Holland and came to the United States in 1849 with his parents. He lived in New York State for about a year and then came to Michigan, locating at first in Oakland County. Came to Millington, Tuscola County, in 1854, and bought a farm in section 10, town 10 north, range 8 east, which he afterward sold. Enlisted in Company D, Twenty-third Michigan Infantry, and served through the war without receiving a wound. Has been township, also village treasurer. Has been in the general mercantile trade since 1867. Has a wife and one son.
THEODARE H. BURNHAM is a native of Madison County, N. Y., and was born in 1842. He came to Tuscola County in 1868 and located in the township of Millington on section 4, where he has since resided. He cleared up his farm from the wilderness, and although his location is on the borders of the sandy plains, has demonstrated the fact that the soil is fruitful and will give generous returns to those who will cultivate it intelligently. Mr. Burnham has filled many of the township offices, including that of supervisor three terms, justice of the peace, treasurer and school inspector.
He was married in 1870 to Miss ElizabethMaguire and has three children.
DAVID ROGERS, M. D., was born in Broome County, N. Y., near Binghamton, in 1833. In 1866 he came to Michigan and located in Millington, where he has since resided. He studied medicine with Messrs. Jackson & Burr, of Binghamton, and graduated from the Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, in 1866. Soon after his arrival in Millington he built the Millington House, which he conducted until March, 1881, but at the same time practiced his profession. He has held the office of town clerk, and was postmaster for many years, resigning in favor of the present incumbent. He married Miss Jennie Begle, of Otisville, Genesee County, and has two children.
IRA A. SPRAGUE was born in 1838 in Lawrence County, N. Y., and in 1844 came to Livingston County, Mich. In 1852 he moved to Tuscola, and in 1861 came to the township of Millington and settled on section 7, where he now resides. Has cleared over one hundred acres of his present farm. In August, 1862, he enlisted in the Twenty-third Michigan Infantry and served to the close of the war, being discharged in July, 1865. Was with Generals Sherman and Thomas in all the important engagements in the Western Department.
WILLIAM S. LENNOX, deceased was born in the State of New York in 1815, moved to Ann Arbor, Mich., in 1858, and came to the township of Millington in 1862, where he settled on section 7 and remained until his death in 1878. He married Miss Eleanor Logan and had a family of nine children.
JOHN LENNOX was born in St. Mary’s, Canada, in 1852, and came to Millington with his father in 1862. In October, 1877 he married Miss Josephine C. Betz and has two children.
CHARLES WEBSTER was born in Connecticut May 26, 1805, and moved to Niagara County, N. Y., in 1819. He came to Macomb County, Mich., in 1829, and in 1855 to Millington, settling on section 30, where he now resides, and where he has cleared up a farm of 160 acres. Was married in 1826 to Miss Hope Brainerd, of Connecticut, and raised a family of eleven children, seven of whom are now living.
DAVID LANE was born November 3, 1823, in Ontario County, N. Y., and came to Genesee County, Mich., in 1836. In 1859 came to the township of Millington and located on section 9, where he now resides. With his father’s help he cleared up four hundred acres of land in Genesee County, and has cleared up a large farm in Millington. He married Miss Saphronie Gravel in 1845 and has a family of ten children.
JOSHUA MERRILL, deceased, was born in Windham, Maine, October 17, 1806, and came to St. Clair County, Mich., in 1852. In 1855 came to Millington, where he resided until his death, which occurred in 1869. He was married in 1836 to Miss Mary Rackliff and had a family of ten children. He endured many of the hardships incident to pioneer life, and helping to clear up a new country was engaged in lumbering for several years prior to his death.
J. F. MERRILL was born in Maine, March 7, 1839, came to Michigan with his father, and has been a resident of the township of Millington since 1855. He was married June 27, 1866, to Miss Mary Jane Guthrie, and has a family of five children. He is engaged in farming on section 10.
JOHN G. SMITH was born in the county of Cornwall, England, July 28, 1814; came to Canada in 1832, and in 1835 to Michigan, while it was yet a territory, and remained a year. In 1849 he moved to the State and resided in Wayne County until February, 1855, when he came to Millington and commenced clearing a farm of 450 acres, on section 23. He helped to organize the township in the spring of 1855, which then embraced the present township of Watertown, and polled but thirteen votes. He was married January 1, 1837, to Miss Elizabeth Prothers, who was born in South Wales, in 1819. They have raised a family of twelve children.