HISTORY OF TUSCOLA COUNTY.
CHARLES H. VAN WAGONER, of the firm of C. H. VanWagoner & Co., was born in Oxford, Oakland County, Michigan. The father was a farmer, but the son learned the trade of a stone mason in pursuit of which calling he worked in Pontiac, Milford, Orion, and other places in Oakland County. In 1875 he went to Lapeer and commenced selling agricultural implements. He continued in business at that place until 1878, when he removed to Caro. At the last named place, in addition to this agricultural implement business, he also sold saw-mills, steam engines, etc. In the fall of 1882 he sold out his business to Moreland Bros. As an indication of the energy and go-a headativeness with which Mr. Van W. manages his business, the amount of his sales for three years is a good criterion to judge him by. In 1879 he sold $40,000 worth of goods, in 1880, $70,000, and in 1881, $100,000. He now is engaged in making the machines he formerly bought from other manufacturers, and is doing much for the material progress and prosperity of Caro. He is a member of the village council. Is married and has two children.
PETER VAN DYKE is a member of the firm of C. H. Van Wagoner & Co., proprietors of the Caro Iron Works. He was born and brought up in the town of Mayfield, Fulton County, N. Y. Came to Michigan in 1843. Kept a general store in Lapeer until 1878, when he removed to Caro. While in Lapeer County was one of the firm of Dodge & Van Dyke, who were extensively engaged in the manufacture of shingles. Served one term on the Lapeer school board and was clerk of the township of Marathon for three years. Married and has one child.
CAMERON C. STODDARD, who died at his
home in the village of Caro, January 24, 1876, was one of the pioneers of
Tuscola County. The following is from an
article published in the Advertiser
after his death: “Mr. Stoddard was born
in the town of Lewis, Essex County, N. Y. in February, 1829, and removed to
Fair Grove, in this county, in 1852. He
was married in July, 1856, to Miss Jennette E.
Sanford, of Wayne County, N. Y., who now survives his, with two sons and one
daughter. He was elected to the State
legislature from this county in 1860.
Enlisted as a private in Company A, Twenty-ninth Regiment, Michigan
Volunteers, in 1864, served a little over a year, and at the time of his
discharge was commissioned as first lieutenant and acting as captain of the
company. After the war he returned to
his home in Fair Grove, where he remained until 1872, filling the office of
supervisor and nearly every other township office during the time. In 1872 he was elected county clerk, and
re-elected in 1874. He has been
secretary of the County Agricultural Society for seven years, and was
unanimously re-elected at the last annual meeting of the society. Since he became a resident of the village of
Caro his valuable services have been in constant demand, and at the time of his
death he was president of the board of trustees of the M. E. Church in this
“Mr. Stoddard was a man noted for his firmness of character, sustaining every principle of right, frowning on all wrong; for his correct business-habits, and quiet demeanor, and no man says aught against him; never seeking place of position, but always receiving from a people who appreciated him as a faithful public servant, an honest man, an exemplary citizen. His death is a loss to the county that will long be mourned.”
AUGUSTUS D. CILLEY. The subject of the following sketch was born in Canton, Wayne County, Mich., where he lived until he arrived at the years of manhood. He was for some time in business at Canton, but leaving there he went to Detroit and was for some time in business at Canton, Wayne County, Mich., where he lived until he arrived at the years of manhood. He was for some time in business at Canton, but leaving there he went to Detroit and was for a number of years engaged in business as a general commission merchant. Having become the owner of some pine lands in Tuscola County, he came here in 1865 to look after them. While here he decided to remove to the county and build a saw-mill, which he did,
building it in the township of Almer, about two miles east and four miles north of what is now the village of Caro. The difficulties in the way of erecting a mill in those days, 1865, were very great, as everything had to be brought by teams from East Saginaw. The roads were primitive ones, and their condition was such that it took six spans of horses to haul the boiler from the last names place ot the site of the mill. There was no foundry of machine shop nearer than East Saginaw at the time capable of making mill repairs, and any breakage in the machinery necessitated a shutting down of the mill until the necessary repairs were made, which of course involved a trip to the last named place. Tuscola County now ranks among the first in the state as an agricultural county, but at the time Mr. Cilley was building and running his mill he could not purchase enough here to feed his people, consequently it had also to be brought in by teams. He operated the mill until 1872, when it was destroyed by fire, together with a large quantity of valuable lumber, entailing a loss upon him of about $30,000. After the fire on account of ill health he went to California with the hope that a change of climate might prove beneficial. It failed to have the desired effect, however, Mr. C. dying at Sacramento, Cal., in December, 1872. His body was brought home and buried at Canton, Wayne County, Mich. Mr. illey was a man who was much esteemed by those who knew him, and in leaving a comfortable home with pleasant surroundings in the city of Detroit and locating in what was literally a wilderness at that time, he was a veritable pioneer, and to a great extent a public benefactor. There are few houses in Caro or the adjoining townships which were built previous to the destruction of his mill by fire in 1872, the lumber used in the construction of which was not cut at his mill. The farmers and others in the neighborhood had to haul lumber for long distances over bad roads, and Mr. Cilley’s enterprise was a great saving in both time and money to them, a benefit which many very freely acknowledge to-day, and also speak in high terms of him.
MRS. MARY J. CILLEY, widow of the late Augustus D. Cilley, was born in Northumberland County, Penn. The family were from England originally, he grandfather being during his life time an extensive land owner and prominent man in that part of Pennsylvania. Her father, James Silverwood, came to Michigan in 1845, settling in Wayne County, about eighteen miles from Detroit. He was engaged in farming, and also transacted other business. Miss Silverwood was married to Mr. Cilley in 1859. At the time of her marriage Mrs. C.’s husband was in business in the village of Canton, but left there and went to Detroit, and from there he removed to Tuscola County. Since his death Mrs. C. has been extensively engaged in business, such as lumbering farming and stock raising, also running a grist-mill. She has had three daughters, but two of whom are living, the eldest dying shortly after the removal of the family to Tuscola County.
PETER D. BUSH. Among the names of the early settlers of
Tuscola County will be found that of Peter D. Bush, who came into this section
of Michigan about the year 1857, some twenty-five years ago. He was born in the town of Parma, Monroe
County, N. Y., and his early days were spent on a farm. He and his brother Elias – both mere boys –
came to Michigan in 1837, traveling through Canada. It was during the time of the Canadian
rebellion, or “patriot war,” as some called it.
They met with considerable trouble on their way through Upper Canada, as
it was then called, both from the Canadian militia and the Indians. Notwithstanding, however, they reached
Detroit in safety. The people whom they
met then expressed great surprise that two such striplings was they were had
been able to make their way through.
They located in Highland, Oakland County, and commenced to clear up a farm, building a shanty for themselves, and keeping bachelor’s hall. After living in that township for a few years, Peter D. decided to remove to Tuscola County, and accordingly bought a quantity of land in the township of Indian Fields, on a part of which the flourishing village of Caro now stands, and removed there in the year 1857.
After some years, Mr. Bush decided to lay out a village plat and accordingly employed Mr. D. A. Pettibone, a surveyor, from Lapeer, to do the work. The village was named Centerville, but the postoffice was known a Tuscola Center, as the rules of the postoffice department did not allow two offices of the same name in the State. The land on which the village was located was originally purchased from the late James J. McCormick, of Bay City, and was bought for Mr. Bush by the late Samuel P. Sherman. The ground on which the court-house now stands was cleared by Mr. B., and in 1866 was donated by him to the county.
The board of supervisors for Tuscola County at a meeting held June 19, 1866, passed a resolution, thanking the people of Centerville, and Mr. Peter D. Bush, especially, for the very welcome reception extended on their meeting at the new county seat.
On October 9, 1866, Messrs. L. Hurd, C. R. Selden, J. M. Dodge, B. W. Huston, and H. Remick were appointed a committee to examine the site for a court-house which Mr. Bush offered to donate to the county. On October 12th the committee reported that the site was a very suitable one, and recommended its acceptance by the county on his making a good and sufficient deed of the same, which he did a few days afterward, as the records show.
On June 8, 1867, a committee consisting of J. H. Richardson, H. Hobert and D. P. Hinson were appointed to examine a building furnished by Mr. Bush to be used for county purposes. This building was donated to the county by Messrs. Giles, Bush and others. It was moved from the opposite side of State Street to the county grounds, and was used for a number of years as a court-house, but was afterward moved back across the street, and is now used as a town hall.
Mr. Bush is yet but a man in the prime of life, scarce a gray hair to be seen on his head. He has been married three times, and has one son and a daughter living. The son, Mr. D. C. Bush, deals in sewing machines and millinery goods. The daughter is the wife of D.C. Deckensheets, village marshal.
Mr. Bush is now a resident of the village, but still carries on farming.
SHERMAN was born July 25, 1829, in Farmington, Oakland County, Mich., where he
was brought up on a farm. He came to
Tuscola County with his father in 1851, locating in what is now Indian Fields. They built the first house in the
township. He lived with his father until
1853, when he got married to Sarah E. McGlone, of
Juniata. He then opened and kept a hotel
at Watrousville, which he afterward sold, and went to farming in Juniata. Previous to this however, he had bought lands
in Almer, Ellington and Indian Fields.
In 1859 he left his Juniata farm and came to Indian Fields, where he has
resided since. He has been identified
with the rise and growth of what is now the flouring village of Caro from the
time it was a nameless place. He kept
the second hotel in what is now Caro, calling it the “Centerville House,” which
gave the name to the village which grew up around it.
Among the many business enterprises and industries which Mr. Sherman has been connected with may be mentioned the following: In 1859 he built and opened the first store in what is now Caro. In 1861 built a shop and started a shoemaker in business. In 1865 started a foundry at which were made the first plows, etc., in the county, except at Vassar. In 1867 made the first brick in this part of the county. The yard was near where the present railroad depot now stands. He sold that and started another on some land he
leased near the mouth of Sucker
Creek, now owned by Geo. W. Warren. At
this yard was made the brick put into the first brick building in Caro. It was known as the “Sherman Block.” It is now owned and occupied by J. D. Wilsey & Co., and was erected in 1869.
In the year 1859 he commenced selling goods. In 1866 he formed a co-partnership with Charles Montague, which continued some three years. In 1871 he was a member of the firm Gamble, McPhail & Co., who, in addition to their store, run a grist and a sawmill. This latter firm continued in existence until 1874.
In addition to the foregoing, Mr. Sherman has, ever since he has been in Tuscola County, been engaged in lumbering, excepting the last few years, owing to ill health.
By his first wife he had three children. In 1877 he was again married to Miss Mary Imrie, of Mt. Morris, Genesee County, Mich.
HON. CYRENIUS P. BLACK. This gentleman was born April 16, 1843, in
Alfred, Allegany County, N.Y. The family
is of Scotch extraction. Besides a
common school education, he attended the university at Alfred Center. After leaving school he clerked for a while
and also taught school in Alegany County. He began reading law at Angelica in the
office of Martin Grover, judge of the court of appeals, of the State of New
York, and subsequently entered the office of Marshal B. Champlain, attorney general
of the State. He came to Tuscola County
in 1866, locating at Watrousville.
Shortly after coming he was appointed assistant U. S. Assessor of
internal revenue for Tuscola County. He
was admitted to the bar in 1867 and practiced law at Bay City until 1869,
during which time he was a member of the legal firms of Shepard
& Black and Black & Wheeler. In
the fall of 1869 he was appointed administrator of the estate of Aaron Watrous and removed to Caro. Since living in Caro has been a partner of
Hon. H. P. Atwood and Hon. John P. Hayt, late
territorial governor of Arizona. In 1873
he entered into a co-partnership with Hon. D. H. Ball, of Marquette, and
removed to that place. During his
residence in the Lake Superior Country he was prosecuting attorney for
Marquette County, also attorney for the city of Marquette. The firm of Ball &
Black were attorneys for the Chicago & Northwestern, and the
Marquette, Houghton & Ontonagon railway companies, also for a large number
of the principal mining companies, among which were the New York mine (in which
Samuel J. Tilden was the principal stockholder), the Republic, Lake Superior,
Cleveland, Washington, etc. During his
residence there he was engaged in some of the most important mining suits ever
argued in the State. In 1877, in
consequence of ill health, he was compelled to leave the upper
Peninsula and spent a year in the Rocky mountains, part of the time at
Denver. In 1878 he returned to Caro, and
his health improving he resumed practice. When the contest settling the county seat at
Caro was going on Mr. Black was the supervisor for the township of Indian
Fields, and it was largely owing to his untiring zeal and efforts that Caro
retained the prize. He has served several
terms on the Caro school board. The county
of Tuscola is strongly Republican politically, and although Mr. Black is a
Democrat, his personal popularity is such that whenever he has been nominated
for office he has always run largely ahead of his ticket.
In 1880 he ran against the present Senator Conger for congressman in the Seventh Congressional District. In Tuscola County Mr. Black was some 500 votes ahead of his party’s ticket, and about 800 in the district. In the fall of 1882 he was elected a member of the State legislature for the Second District of Tuscola County. At the session of the legislature held in 1883 he was member of the judiciary, railroad, and deaf and dumb asylum at Flint, committees, and is also on the special committee to investigate the subject of discrimination in railroad freights. He married a daughter of the late Aaron Watrous, of Watrousville, and has a family of three children.
Mr. Black, from a boy of fourteen years, has worked his way in the world without pecuniary aid from any one.
He is now a member of the firm of Black & Edson, attorneys, Caro, Mich.
AARON WATROUS. The history of Tuscola County would be
incomplete with out the history of this pioneer.
Mr. Watrous was the founder of Watrousville; he was born at Chester, Middlesex County, Conn., and died at his home in Watrousville, February 1, 1868, aged fifty-nine years. His father’s name was also Aaron Watrous; his mother bing a Dickinson; both ancestral branches being among the older families of that State, and quite numerous.
The subject of the sketch learned the stone-cutter’s trade, and worked at that business until about the age of eighteen years; but possessing an energetic and enterprising spirit he abandoned his trade and started in the mercantile business, beginning as a peddler, quite common in those days, and at the age of nineteen he married Miss Laura Luther, of East Lynn, Conn. He soon acquired such a financial start that it enabled him to open a small store near Chester, and his business became so increasing he shortly afterward removed to Deep River, than a thriving village on the Connecdticut River,, and opened one of the largest stores there, and soon took a stand as one of the most prominent business men of the place. After remaining for some years at Deep River he, with other citizens of the vicinity, emigrated to the State of Ohio, locating in Austinburg, Ashtabula County, where he engaged in the mercantile business.
At Austinburg Mr. Watrous soon became prominent in business and social circles, which position he forever held with the people of that place. It seemed as if he was fated to be in the path of emigration, as in 1853 there started out from Ashtabula County a wave of emigration to the then new and wild county of Tuscola. In that year Mr. W. came to Watrousville, then known as McGone Corners, buying quite a large amount of land there and in the immediate vicinity. He there opened a store and built a saw-mill, being the only ones above Vassar which at once supplied the pressing wants of the pioneers that had settled in and around that beautiful part of Tuscola County.
Mr. Watrous had here a broad field opened up before him, giving him labor to absorb his indomitable energy. He was the leading spirit in all the improvements at Watrousville and vicinity. If there was a new mail route or a highway to be established he was foremost in the enterprise. If there was a needy family to be supplied he was the one applied to. He became quite largely interested in lumbering, which he carried on in connection with his store. He laid out the village of Watrousville upon the beautiful ridge that it occupies, and had high hope that it would be made the county seat, but its location prevented it.
In 1856 his wife, after lingering some years with consumption died, having borne to him nine children. A few years after the death of his wife Mr. Watrous received a stroke of paralysis paralyzing his right side, including his right arm and right leg which forever after precluded him from entering upon active business, and from that time until his death, his business had to be transacted for him, although always under his direction, he retaining his mental faculties till the last. He died after a short, severe illness, surrounded by nearly all his children and many friends.
Mr. Watrous had, with the rest of humanity, faults, but he had many virtues, among which was a broad charity toward his fellow men. He had an open and tender heart and his many acts of generosity will be remembered by the recipients for years to come. He was for many years a prominent Odd Fellow, occupying high
official positions in that order, and though never a seeker
for office, he was at one time after coming to Michigan, a candidate for State
senator, and made a fine run, though defeated, his party being in the minority.
His children living are as follows: Mrs. Jane A. Baldwin, of Ocanomowoc, Wis.; Mrs. Ellen Culver Ashtabula, Ohio; Mrs Sarah Maxwell, Vassar, Mich.; Mrs. Mary A. Black, Caro, Mich.; and Ansel Watrous of Bay City, Mich.
SABIN GIBBS was born in Benson, Rutland County, Vt., where he received his education. For some years previous to coming West Mr. Gibbs was in the canal boat business, carrying passengers and their baggage through the Erie Canal to Buffalo, it being before the New York Central Railroad was built. Afterward he was engaged in carrying iron ore from Port Henry, N. Y., to various points on the Hudson River, also to Newark, N.J. He came to Michigan in 1847, making his home at Ypsilanti, where he worked for Norris & Follett, lumber manufacturers. In 1851 he moved to Vassar, Tuscola County, and was employed in Hon. T. North’s saw-mill for one year. In 1852 he went to Tuscola village and took charge of Isaac Miller’s saw-mill, remaining there a year and a half. In 1854 he went into the hotel business keeping the first hotel in Tuscola for about a year. He then kept the Curry House three and a half years, also the Tuscola House, built by W. H. Harrison, for five years. In 1862 he elected sheriff of Tuscola County, serving two years. In 1864 he was elected county treasurer, in which office he continued until January 1, 1871. The first tow years he was treasurer his office was at Vassar, that being the county seat, and on its removal to Caro he removed also. During his residence in the latter place he served one term as member of the village council. Since 1871 he has been in the real estate and insurance business. He occupies a brick dwelling-house on Almer Street, which is one of the neatest and most tasty appearing residences in a village which is dotted with nice houses. It was built by him in 1875. He has been married twice and has three children.
RICHARDSON was born in Port Dover, Canada West –now known as Ontario- and came
to the United States when seven years old, his parents settling in Genesee
County. When the war broke out he was a
mere youth, but sixteen years old, nevertheless, he enlisted and was mustered
into service in October, 1861, as a private soldier in the Second Michigan
Infantry; and he went through the war, too, being discharged in August,
1865. During that time he was in sixteen
battles, was wounded, and again at Petersburgh, June
17, 1864, and was a prisoner of war seven months. When discharged he was color sergeant of the
regiment and bore some honorable scars that to-day he points to with
pride. He first came to Tuscola County
in 1867, and in 1868 located at Vassar, where he remained one year, come to
Caro in 1869 where he entered upon the practice of his profession, dentistry,
and has remained ever since, and says he expects to remain until he is carried
out feet first.
He has been county clerk seven years, town clerk two years, school inspector, and also member of the village council. Is now in the abstract and real estate business. He was married in 1870 to Miss Emily J. Hovey, of Genesee County, Mich. They have two children.
The Caro Advertiser and Citizen of December 28, 1882, says: “N. M. Richardson, who steps down and out of the county clerk’s office next Monday, gives way to his predecessor with an exceptionally good record at his back. He has held the office seven years, having been first appointed on February 6, 1876, by Judge Josiah Turner. Since then he has been re-elected for three terms by the people. Methodical, accurate and industrious, he has always mastered thoroughly every duty which his position has demanded of him, and in a manner acceptable to the people.
MARCUS R. TRUESDELL, dealer in hardware, stoves, tim, copper and sheet iron ware, was born in Independence. Oakland County, Mich. He learned the trade of a tinsmith at Flint, where he lived for a number of years. In the fall of 1877 he came to Caro and opened a hardware establishment. Is one of the directors as well as organizers of the Caro District Agricultural Society. Is a member of the firm of S.F. Smead & Co., also dealers in hardware in Caro. He has a tin shop in connection with his store, where he employs several hands and manufactures all kinds of tin, copper and sheet iron ware. Is a man of family, having a wife and two children.
D. D. INGELS was born in Ontario, Canada, in 1842, and in 1847 came to Michigan with his parents and located in Lapeer County. In 1860 he removed to Flint, and in 1861 enlisted in the Tenth Michigan Infantry, serving with that organization until its term of service expired, participating in Sherman’s famous march to the sea. After his discharge he was connected with the transportation department until the close of the war. In 1868 he came to Caro and established a meat market, which proving successful, he built in 1876 his present commodious market on the corner of State and Lincoln Streets, a lithographic view of which appears in this work.
CHARLES O. ADAMS, millwright, was born at Parma, Monroe County, N. Y., and came to Michigan with his parents in 1835. They commenced farming in the township of Highland, Oakland County. From there they went to Atlas, Genesee County. Mr. Adams then removed to Fenton, and lived there eighteen years; came to Caro in 1874; was eleven months in the Third Michigan Cavalry and was discharged on account of disability, being at the time orderly sergeant of his company. He is a millwright by trade, and has followed that and the running of saw and grist-mills for twenty-five years. He is married and has four children.
RUFUS P. EDSON, of the firm of Black & Edson, attorneys, was born September 16, 1841, in Olive, Ulster County, N. Y. He received a part of his education at Franklin Literary Institute, Franklin, Delaware County. In 1859 he commenced the study of law, reading for a year in the office of Judge Gleason at Delhi, and for two years in Henry R. Mygett’s office, at Oxford, N. Y. He then enlisted in the One Hundred Forty-fourth New York Infantry, in which regiment he was color sergeant for six months, when he was promoted to a second lieutenancy, receiving his commission from Governor Horatio Seymour. He served two years with the regiment and ws in a number of engagements. On his return to New York State he again studied law under Henry Vanderlyn, (one of the oldest lawyers in the State) in the office of Mr. Mygett. In 1865 he was admitted to the bar at a general term of the supreme court, held at Binghampton. After his admission he went West, living in the city of Minneapolis, Minn., for about a year, and practicing law at Sauk Center, Stearns County, for another year, and then removed to Kalamazoo, Mich., where he was a partner of Judge Hawes for five years. In 1874 he came to Tuscola County, locating at Unionville, and the following year removed to Caro. In 1876 he was elected prosecuting attorney, and held the office by reelections until January 1, 1883. The Caro Advertiser and Citizen said of him, about the conclusion of his term of office: “He has made an acceptable official, and to his credit be it said, that during the last term of court the criminals who transgressed the law were as vigorously prosecuted as during his first term. When satisfied of the guilt of persons, he has been a terror in ferreting out and punishing them.” At the close of his term of office he formed a partnership with the Hon. C. P. Black. He is a man of family, having a wife and two sons.
HON. LEVI L. WIXSON, Judge for the Twenty-fourth Judicial Circuit of the State of Michigan, was born of American parents in the township of Pickering, which is about thirty miles from Toronto, Ont. His father removed with his family to Sanilac Count, Mich., in 1841, where he engaged in farming. That county at that time was an almost unbroken wilderness. The educational privileges which he enjoyed were such as could be obtained in the rural districts in those days. In 1860 he went to Ann Arbor and studied law, graduating from the law department of the State University in 1862. Previous to that, however, he had been admitted to the bar at a term of court held at Lexington, in 1861, Judge Sanford M. Green presiding. In 1879 he was elected judge for the judicial district composed of Tuscola, Huron and Sanilac Counties and in 1881 was re-elected to the same office for a full term of six years. After graduating at Ann Arbor he practiced law at Lexington, until he was elected judge in 1879. He lived there until February, 1882, when he removed to Caro. During his residence in Sanilac he was judge of probate for twelve years, prosecuting attorney three terms, leaving the last term unfinished, having been elected to the bench. He was also circuit court commissioner and filled a number of other village and township offices. He has a family of a wife and three children.
BENJAMIN W. WHITE was born in 1829 in the township of Aurora, Portage County, Ohio. His people were farmers and he was brought up on a farm, receiving such educational advantages as farmers’ boys did in those days. He came to Michigan in 1853, locating in Ellington Township, Tuscola County, where he bought land from the U. S. government and cleared up a farm, which he still owns and cultivates. In addition to farming Mr. White has lumbered also, and if he has been a good farmer he has been no less a successful lumberman. While he lived in Ellington he served one term as supervisor, was highway commissioner six years and justice of the peace five years. Mr. White removed from his farm to Caro in November, 1882, and deals in logs besides being a farmer. Is married and has a family of five children.
WILLIAM J. MONTAGUE was born in London, Ontario. His father moved with his family to Michigan in 1864, buying a farm in the Township of Almer, Tuscola County. The son received his education in the schools of the village. After leaving school he followed teaming, hauling goods to and from East Saginaw. IN 1876 he went into the livery stable business, also the buying and selling of horses. Has been in the lumber business, logging on his own lands sometimes and jobbing for others occasionally. In the early days of lumbering in Tuscola Count, lands were not cut very close and even sometimes trees which were felled were not all cut up into saw logs. Mr. Montague has done some very profitable business in going over such lands the second time. Is a married man.
TIMOTHY C. QUINN was born near Kingston, Ontario. From there his father moved with family to Goderich, Ontario. He then removed ot Marquette and afterward to Negaunee, Michigan. The son attended a commercial college in Milwaukee for a year, while the family were in the Upper Peninsula. In the fall, winter and spring of 1874-75 he was at the Albany Law School, graduating there from, which entitled to practice in courts in the State of New York, but not in Michigan, being under age. He came back to Negaunee and shortly after went into Ball & Black’s law office at Marquette for three years, and upon the dissolution of that firm remained with C. P. Black, (now of Caro) until he was of age. Was admitted to the bar April, 1877, at Marquette. He then went to Denver, Colorado, and in the fall of 1877 came to Caro. Was for a time associated with Mr. Black. The connection was dissolved at the close of 1882, Mr. Quinn continuing practice. Was married to Miss Catherine Morris in 1880. They have one child.
GEORGE W. DAVIS was born January 12, 1851, in Attica, Lapeer County, Mich., and received a common school education. On the maternal side he is a Puritan descent. Her maiden name was Wilder, a name which was borne by one of the families that came over in the “Mayflower.” His family left Lapeer County in 1856 and settled in Tuscola County, but after a short stay returned to the former. Some time afterward he again came to this county, locating in the township of Fair Grove. In 1868 he went to Detroit and studied law in the office of his brother, E. G. Davis, for about two years. In 1870 he came to Fair Grove and for some four years devoted his attention to the study of theology, and at times in 1872 and 1874 lecturing upon subjects connected with that study. From 1874 till 1878 he was in the timber and stave trade. In 1878 he again resumed the study of law, also working at the carpenter’s trade. Since 1880 has been practicing law in justices’ courts. In February, 1883, was admitted to the bar at Caro. Previous to this admission he resided in Akron, but has since removed to Caro. In addition to practicing law he deals in real estate. Married and has four children.
BENJAMIN F. HARRIS was born in Hardin County, Ohio, in 1858. Was educated at the Delaware College, in Delaware County, Ohio. Was in the grain trade for three years at Kenton, in that State previous to coming to Caro. In 1880 he bought Haskell’s elevator in the latter named village and is one of the largest grain dealers in the county. He runs a custom grist-mill with two runs of stones in connection with his elevator. Also deals in coal, salt, cement, shingles and building materials generally. Is married and has one child.
HORACE H. MARKHAM was born in Ortonville, Oakland County, Mich. His family removed to Pontiac, and he was educated in the high-school there. He commenced reading law in the office of Judge Taft, at Pontiac. In 1878 he went to Ann Arbor and in 1881 graduated from the law department of the University of Michigan. Previous to this, however, in 1880 he was admitted to the bar at a term of court held at Ann Arbor, Judge Morris, of Monroe, presiding. After graduating he came to Caro and commenced practicing. Was at one time a member of the legal firm of Atwood, Markham & Titus, afterward Atwood & Markham, which latter firm has also been dissolved. Is married.
FRANK MILLER is a native of New Jersey. When he was a boy his father removed with his family to Fulton County, Ohio, and followed farming. The son, Frank, lived on the farm until he was nineteen years of age, and in the year 1859 went to California, where he was a miner for about fifteen years. In 1873 he and his brother came to Vassar and went into the grain and mercantile trade. In 1878 he removed his place of residence to Caro, but still continued in business at the former place. He and his brother also built an elevator at Caro, and in 1881 his brother retired, and he now carries on the business at both places. They also built the opera-house at Vassar, a notice of which will be found elsewhere. Mr. Miller deals in salt, lime, cement and building materials.
RILEY ROSS was born in Bradford County, Pennsylvania. Until his removal from that county to Michigan he was, after arriving at manhood, engaged in farming, hotel-keeping, and other business. When he came to Tuscola County he bought land in the township of Almer and cleared a farm, which he has cultivated ever since. While a resident of that township he held a number of offices, among them justice of the peace, commissioner of highways, etc. Mr. Ross is now living in Caro, but still carries on his farming business. Married and has two sons and one daughter. The sons are married, and the daughter, who is the youngest of the children, lives at home. His father, Henry L. Ross, also lives with him.
Morgan A. Jones, who held the office of sheriff for the term
ending January 1, 1883, has been in positions of trust in this county, either appointive or elective continually (one year excepted) since 1866. Mr. Jones was born in Michigan, in the township of Troy, Oakland County, December 18 1834, and has always resided in the State. He first came to Tuscola County on the 18th of December, 1856, settling in Vassar, where he lived for many years. On the 9th of March, 1864, he enlisted as a musician, his band being assigned to the First Division, Third Brigade, Ninth Army Corps, but finally assigned to the Twenty-seventh Michigan Infantry, and was discharged in 1865. After the battle of the Rappahannock he was with the Army of the Potomac, and in nearly every engagement to the time of Lee’s surrender, his band being the first that marched into Petersburgh after that event. Mr. Jones had been a deputy sheriff for seven or eight years previous to his election as sheriff, and was also marshal of Vassar for a period of four years. The Caro Advertiser and Citizen say of him that “as an official, he has given quite general satisfaction to the public. He will leave the affairs of his office in good shape and has given the people of this county an economical administration.” Is married and has a family of three children.
WILLIAM MORRIS was born in Limerick, Ireland. His literary education was acquired at Ennis College and he studied medicine at Trinity College, of which he is a graduate; also at the Royal College of Surgeons, Dublin, to which city he went in 1839. The doctor is an M. D. of Trinity College, Dublin, and a member of the following institutions: Royal College of Surgeons, Dublin; Dublin Lying-in Hospital; the Medical Chirurgical Society and the National Vaccine Institution, of England; corresponding member of the Royal College of Surgeons, Dublin; licentiate of the Medial Board of Toronto and a member of the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Ontario. In 1843 he emigrated to Canada, where with the exception of 1845-’46, he remained until 1878. During these years he practiced medicine at Boulton village, near Toronto, Fort Erie, Florence and lastly at Delaware, Ontario. In 1878 he came to Caro. The doctor is one of a family which is largely composed of the disciples of Galen, having two sons, two sons-in-law, two brothers, and two brothers-in-law, who are medical practitioners.
WILLIAM S. FRITZ, dentist, was born in the town of Sugarloaf, Columbia County, Penn. His parents were farmers and he was brought up on a farm. Aside from a common school education he attended the State normal school at Bloomsburg. For four winters following the time he was at the foregoing school he taught school two terms in his native township and one term each in Briar Creek and Center, in Columbia County. In 1870 he came West, locating near Watrousville, in Tuscola County. He taught school for four winter terms in the township of Juniata, and one term each in Akron, Fair Grove, Gilford and Almer; also one term in Stockbridge, Ingham County. In 1871 he studied dentistry, and from that tie until 1878 he practiced that profession in summer and teaching in winter. Since 1878 however, he has devoted his tie solely to the practice of his profession, and from a very meager business has succeeded in building up a very lucrative practice. Mr. Fritz is also a farmer, having bought in 1880 the southwest fractional quarter of section 7, range 99, in the township of Almer, which he rents. It is only partially cleared up, but in 1882 it produced among other crops 530 bushels of wheat. Has a family of a wife and two children.
DAVID A. HORNER, druggist, was born in Washtenaw County, Mich. Was brought up on a farm. He went to Ypsilanti, where he resided some ten years, during which time he learned the druggist business. In December, 1881, he moved to Caro and opened a drug store. He also deals in paints, oils, books, newspapers, stationery, etc. Has a family, wife and one child.
TACITUS P. ZANDER was born in 1853 in Ottawa, Ill. The family moved from there to Wisconsin, living for a number of years at Prairie du Chien. While there attended the college at that place. They then removed to Tuscola County, Mich. Shortly after he went to the Cook County normal school at Englewood, one of the suburbs of Chicago, graduating from that institution. From 1874-’76 taught school at Matteson, Ill., and spent the next year in traveling in that State. He then taught at the Colehour school in South Chicago for four years. In 1882 he came to Caro and began reading law in the office of Black U Quinn, now Black & Edson. Has a wife and one child.
RYERSON J. PARKHURST was born in Superior, Washtenaw County, Mich. He was attending the normal school at Ypsilanti, but left it to enter the army. He went out as a three months’ man, and at the expiration of that time enlisted in the Twelfth United Sates Infantry. During his term of service his regiment was in the Army of the Potomac, and he participated in twenty-one engagements, receiving wounds at Antietam, Gettysburg and Petersburg. He was color bearer in seven battles, and at Gettysburg the colors he carried were pierced nineteen times by bullets. June 18, 1864, he was wounded at Petersburgh, and was sent to Columbia Hospital, Washington. September 14th returned to his regiment and received his discharge. His rank in Company D, First Battalion, Twelfth United States Infantry, was that of orderly sergeant. He then went into the employ of the Michigan Central Railroad, and was a conductor for fifteen years. In 1879 he came to Caro and bought the grocery stock of S. J. Kinyon, carrying on the business for about eleven months, when he sold out on account of his health. In 1881 he formed a copartnership with H. S. Johnson in the boot and shoe trade. Has been a member of the village council. Has a wife and one son.
ALFRED M. JUDD was born in the city of Brockville, Leeds County, Ontario, where he learned the trade of a watchmaker. In 1867 he came to Michigan and settled in Centerville, now Caro, where he opened a watchmaking and jewelry establishment, occupying the same store from that time until the present. When the Western Union Telegraph Company built a branch of their line to Caro he became the operator, and he and his son, W. C. Judd, have been in control of the office since 1874. Mr. Judd has served two years as township treasurer two years as township clerk, and was president of the village for one year. Is married and has a family of three children living.
MISS JANE E. RYAN, dealer in millinery goods, was born in Roscommon County, Ireland. Her father, who was a provision dealer, also a stone mason, emigrated with his family to Canada. He lived for a number of years in London, Ont., also in St. Mary’s. Miss Ryan learned her business in London, Ont. In 1867 she was living at St. Mary’s, but left there and came to the United States, living for about a year in Flint before coming to Caro. She opened a millinery establishment, and has continued I that business up to the present (1883) year. Miss Ryan has also done her part to aid in the growth and prosperity of Caro, having built two stores on State Street one a brick and the other a wooden structure.
SHERMAN F. CHASE, M. D., was born in 1849 in Morrow County, Ohio. Received his education in the schools of the neighborhood in which he was born. He commenced the study of medicine at Sparta, O., in 1868, afterward attended a course of lectures at Hahnemann College in Philadelphia, and graduated from the Homoeopathic College of Detroit in 1872. Came to Caro, Tuscola County, in the fall of that year and began practice. Since here he has served two years as a member of the village council and three years as county physician. In the spring of 1883 was and three years as county physician. In the spring of 1883 was elected a school inspector for the township of Indian Fields. Was
married to Lettie A. Crissey, a native of New York State, in 1874.
George F. Brown was born in 1846 in Norfolk County, Ont., of American parentage. The family removed to the United States when he was six years of age. They first settled in St. Joseph County, Ind., on a farm, from whence they went to Cass County, Mich., in 1862. Remained there until 1871, when he went to St. Charles, Saginaw County, at which place he was in the stave business. In October, 1881, he came to Caro, having fored a copartnership with Francis Hood of Saginaw City. They built the stave and heading works situated on the banks of the Cass River, near the Michigan Central Railway Depot. While in St. Charles was supervisor for the township one term, also justice of the peace and a member of the village council five years. Was married to Miss Addie L. Salisbury, of Cass County, in 1870. They have two children.
John Staley, Jr., was born in Pennsylvania in 1844. When the war broke out he enlisted as a drummer boy in the One Hundred and Thirty-second Pennsylvania Infantry, serving nine months, the term of its enlistment. He then served as a three months’ man in the Pennsylvania State troops when that State was invaded by the rebel troops. After that he again enlisted in the One Hundred and Twelfth Pennsylvania Infantry as a musician, and served until early in 1866, some ten months after the war closed. In 1867 he came to Tuscola County and was engaged in the surveying business. In 1870 he was elected county surveyor, serving one term. He has also held the following offices: Postmaster at Unionville six years, supervisor for township of Akron five years, register of deeds four years, and is now (1883) register of the probate court and president of the village council. He also was State examining agent for two years, looking after trespassers on the State lands. He now resides in Caro and is the senior member of the firm of Staley & Slaght, who are engaged in the real estate and abstract business. He is married and has a family of four children.
Will F. Street was born in Monroe, Mich., where his youthful days were spent and a part of his education was acquired. From there his parents removed to Bay City, and his father engaged in the drug business. Mr. S. was at one tie during his residence in Bay City in the bank of C. F. Gibson, after which he was connected with the Second National Bank in that city. In 1875, in company with Mr. Charles Montague, the Caro Exchange Bank was organized, of which Mr. Street was made cashier, which position he still holds. He possesses first-class abilities for his work, and has won an enviable reputation in the community. Is a married man.
William K. Wheat was born in Venice, Cayuga County, N. Y., in 1830. Was educated at Cayuga Academy in Aurora. He studied medicine for abo9ut three years with Dr. B.A. Fordyce at Venice Center, during which time he taught school two winters. Graduated at Philadelphia Medical College in 1853 and then located at Montezuma, N. Y., where he commenced practicing and remained until 1866. He then removed to Bay City, Mich., and continued practicing there, and in 1870 also opened a drug store. In 1875 on account of the ill health of his wife he was compelled to leave there and find a locality which would prove healthier for her, and on trial found Caro to be the place. While in the State of New York he held the office of justice of the peace, also collector of tolls on the canals. In Bay City he was a member of the school board for two terms. In Caro he was health officer for four years and for two years a member of the village council. While in practice at Montezuma, N. Y., he made a trip as physician for an exploring expedition, in the year 1864, through Idaho, Montana, Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, Dakota, etc. Is married and has had two children, only one of whom, Fred. S. Wheat, an attorney in this village, is now living. The latter has been prosecuting attorney for Tuscola County.
Arthur T. Slaght was born in Seneca County, N. Y., and came to Michigan in 1878, locating in Caro, Tuscola County. He came with Mr. J. F. Seeley, who opened the Tuscola County Bank, in which institution he acted for four years as teller. He then became a member of the firm of Staley & Slaght in the real estate and abstract business. Is married.
Theron W. Atwood, attorney, was born in White Oak, Ingham County, Mich. He is the son of Hon. H. P. Atwood, of Caro. He was educated at Ann Arbor, and graduated from the law department of the State University in 1875, and admitted to the bar at Caro the same year. He is married and has three children.
George F. Getty was born in Alleghany County, Md. His parents removed to Tuscarawas County, Ohio, when he was quite young, where they went on a farm. He attended the Smithville Academy, Wayne County, Ohio, after which he taught school some five winters. He also attended the Northwestern Ohio Normal School at Ada, Ohio, from which he graduated in 1879. He read law in the office of John A. Hostatler at Canal Dover, Ohio, and attended two courses of law lectures at Ann Arbor in 1881. He was admitted to the bar at the latter place in 1882. He then came to Caro and became a member of the firm of Hurst & Getty, attorneys. He was elected circuit court commissioner for Tuscola County in 1882. He is married and has one child.
John Hurst was born in Nottingham, England, and came to the United States in 1863, going to Ann Arbor where he had a brother living who was a farmer, with whom he helped carry on a farm. They sold out and moved to Livingston County where they purchased another farm. He sold his interest in the farm to his brother and entered the law office of Sardis F. Hubbell, of Howell, where he read law five years. He was admitted to the bar at a term of court at Howell in 1871, Judge Turner presiding. He then commenced practice at Au Sable, in Iosco County, remaining there three years. From there he went to Saginaw City, entering into co-partnership with William H. Sweet. In 1878 he came to Caro, Tuscola County, and opened a law office. He is the senior member of the firm of Hurst & Getty, attorneys. While Iosco County Mr. Hurst held the offices of circuit court commissioner and justice of the peace. He is married and has one child.
Ebenezer W. Gerrish was born in the State of Maine. His parents removed from there when he was an infant and made their residence at Pittsford, N.Y., where he remained until he was nineteen years old. He then went to Erie, Pa. He studied for a while at Allegheny College, Crawford County. Pa. He then commenced to learn the profession of civil engineer in Erie County, and followed it for about three years. He afterward spent some five years in Ashtabula County and Kingsville Ohio. In 1867 or ’68 he removed to Tuscola County, Mich., and located in the village of Centerville, now Caro. He has been a justice of the peace four years and town treasurer one year. As resident member of the committee appointed ot surpervise the building of the present court-house he superintended the construction of that building. He is now, aside from practicing his profession, engaged in the insurance and real estate business. He is married and has two sons.
John H. Knickerbocker was born and brought up a Flint, Genesee County, Mich., where he learned the watch-making and jewelry business. From there he went to Bay City and engaged in that line of trade. In 1879 he came to Caro and engaged in the same business, being the senior member of the firm of J. H. Knickerbocker & Co. Few places of a much larger size contain as neat and tastily arranged store or as fine an assortment of goods as this
firm carries. Mr. Knickerbocker is married and has a family of two children.
Among the early settlers of Tuscola County was Daniel Kinyon, who died in Caro October 1, 1882. He was fifty-six years of age at the time of his death and was one of the victims of that insidious, but deceiving disease, consumption. The Jeffersonian of October 5, 1882, says of him:
“The funeral took place from the Universalist Church, which was handsomely draped, Tuesday afternoon, under the direction of the Masonic fraternity. During the hours of service, and during the funeral procession the places of business in town were closed and flags displayed at half mast as a token of regard to one who was universally respected by the whole community.
“Daniel Kinyon was born in Arcadia, Wayne County, N. Y., in 1826, and moved to Wayne County, Mich., with his parents in 1831. In 1851, in company with Mr. Frank Fairman, of Juniata, he came into Tuscola county and took up a piece of land in that township opposite Mr. Fairman’s. The two young pioneers built a shanty on the line between their places, where they labored as only pioneers know how for many a weary day. Success followed their efforts. Mr. Kinyon finally bought a farm in the west part of the corporation and moved to Caro, where he has since resided, and was, perhaps, one of the best known men in these parts. He was always noted for his kindness, and seemed to move through life bearing good will to all and malice toward none. Many a poor man will bless the memory of Daniel Kinyon for pecuniary assistance in the tie of need. Mr. Kinyon ws the youngest of six brothers, four of whom are living, his brother John living in this village since 1875, and the others living in the southern part of the State. Mr. Kinyon leaves a family consisting of his widow and five children behind him, with whom the many warm friends of the deceased mingle their sorrow.”
Mr. Kinyon was a member from its organization of Mt. Moriah Lodge, F. & A. M., which body passed resolutions of sorrow for his death and sympathy with his family, as also did Caro Lodge, No. 173, I.O.O.F., he being a member of that fraternity.
Mrs. Louisa Kinyon, widow of the deceased, was born in Plymouth, Wayne County, Mich., and was married to Mr. Kinyon some twenty-nine years at the time of his death. The family consists of two daughters and three sons. The eldest son, Willie B., resides on the farm originally purchased by his father in Juniata township. The remainder of the family reside with their mother at the homestead in the village of Caro, at the time (1883) we write.
William A. Calbeck is a native of the county of Peel, Ontario. Came to Michigan in 1874 and located at Caro, Tuscola County, where he engaged in the carriage making business. He continued at that for some time and then went into the meat market trade with D. D. Ingels. In 1878 he started a livery stable, and is at the present time (1883) running the same. Is married and has two children.
William N. West was born in Ontario County, N. Y., in 1840. He was brought up on a farm and received his education at the Canandaigua Academy. For some two years after leaving the academy he read medicine. He afterward went to West Virginia and entered into mercantile business. From there he removed to Adrian, Mich. After remaining there for a year he located at Plymouth, Wayne County, Mich., staying there three years. In 1875 he decided to make Caro his home. He had in previous years paid some attention to reading law, and on coming to Caro decided to adopt the legal profession and for a year applied himself to the study of law. In 1876 he was admitted to the baqr and commenced practice. He was appointed by Gov. Jerome to the position of circuit court commissioner to fill a vacancy acting in that capacity for six months. In 1876 he was elected a justice of the peace, and in 1881 was re-elected. Is married and has one son.
George S. Ralston was born at Lockport, Niagara County, N. Y., in 1855. When fourteen years of age he went to sea, and for some five years followed the life of a sailor, at one time being the second mate on a vessel in the coasting trade, also going to the West Indies. He was in the employ of the American Express Company some five years in various capacities, during three of which he spent his spare time in studying law. Came to Caro as agent of the American Express Company. He then bought out the firm of C. O. Thomas & Co. and carried on business under the firm name of G. S. Ralston & Co. Mr. Thomas afterward became a member of the concern, and it was then known as Thomas & Ralston. In 1882 he bought out his partner and carries on the business alone, which is that of a general store. He was the first secretary of the Caro District Agricultural Society, organized in 1882. Is married and has one son.
William O. Luce, Jr., was born in 1858 in Meridian, Cayuga County, N. Y. His family left there and lived in Syracuse for a time, also at Elbridge and Auburn, N. Y., living at the latter place seven years, where he learned the business of a druggist. In 1881 he came to Caro, Tuscola County, and is proprietor of an extensive drug, news and stationery establishment. He has lately commenced the manufacture of several medicines, the formula for preparing which he has patented, and they have thus far been very favorably received by the public. Is a married man.
Meyer Himelhoch was born in Courland, Russia, and emigrated to the United States in 1876, first settling at Bay City, from which point he sold goods for a year, traveling on the road. In 1877 he opened a small fancy notion store in Caro, and his business has grown into an extensive dry goods and a wholesale notion trade, employing some ten traveling salesmen. In Russia his father and himself were engaged in the butchering business. Mr. H. is personally very popular among both Christians and Hebrews.
Frank A. Goodell was born and brought up on a farm in Vermont. From there he went to Port Byron, N. Y. When the war of the rebellion broke out he enlisted in the Seventy-fifth New York Infantry. He served twenty-six months in this regiment until discharged on account of wounds received at Port Hudson on the Mississippi River losing a leg therefrom. After leaving the army he went to Seneca Falls, N. Y., and in 1866 came to East Dayton, Tuscola County. In 1870 he was elected register of deeds for Tuscola County, holding the office two years. He has been in the mercantile trade in the State of Colorado, also at East Dayton, Tuscola County, and is now in business at Caro. Is married and has two children.
Alexander Richards is a native of Niagara County, N. Y., and was brought up on a farm. He came to Michigan in 1853, settling in Tuscola County. He worked in the lumber woods, also on a farm he bought, and was in the employ of W. A. Heartt some three years. In 1861 he enlisted in the Seventh Michigan Infantry, serving twenty-two months, when he was discharged on account of wounds received at the battle of Antietam. After remaining at home a year recovering from his wounds he again enlisted in the Second Michigan Infantry, serving until the close of the war. His rank when mustered out was that of first lieutenant. Mr. R. was for a number of years engaged in faring, selling agricultural implements, etc., and now (1883) keeps a liquor store in the village of Caro. Is married and has one daughter.
Frank O. Watrous was born in Ozaukee County Wis.; was educated at Beloit College. After leaving college he learned the trade of a tinsmith at Port Washington, Wis. He then “traveled on
the trade” and taught school at times for some fifteen years, during which time he went all over the Western States. While in California he was in the grocery trade at Santa Clara for three years. In March, 1880, he came to Caro and formed a co-partnership with Charles Pyne in the hardware trade. In 1881 he bought his partner’s interest and carries it on under his own name. He does a large business in hardware, etc., and also carries on an extensive tinsmith shop. Is married and has one child.
Solomon S. Utter was born in Delhi, Delaware County, N. Y. When he was but a mere boy his father moved with his family to Buffalo, where he (the son) remained about three years. From there he went to Lester, Livingston County, N. Y., and remained about twenty years. At first he worked on the Genesee Valley Canal, and during the last ten years of his residence in that county kept a hotel at Cuylerville. In 1867 he came to Centerville, Tuscola County, and kept the Gibbs House for two years. He then bought the Exchange Hotel, and kept that two years. Selling out the hotel he went to farming, having a farm in Juniata and another in Fair Grove – living in the village of Caro, however, while carrying on his farms. He is now (1883) keeping a livery stable and running a stage line between Caro and Cass City. Previous to the building of the Caro Branch of the Michigan Central Railroad he run a stage line to Vassar. Is the senior member of the firm of Utter & Hemerick. Married and has two children.
Gilbert Johnson was born at Avon Springs, Livingston County, N. Y. His father removed his family to Wyoming County when he was but a boy, and where he remained until he was of age Then he went to Nunda Livingston County, where he was a resident for some nineteen years. Previous to going to Nunda he had always worked at farming, but upon going to that place he went into the lumbering business as at that time there was considerable pine in the Genesee Valley. He run saw-mills, by the thousand, set up engines, and in short could turn his hand to anything about a mill. Leaving the State of New York in 1866 he came to Michigan and located in Tuscola County, settling at what in those days was known as Centerville. There he took up the business of painting, following it for a number of years. He is now engaged in the jewelry and watch-making trade, being the senior member of the firm of Johnson & Dyer. Has held the offices of constable and deputy sheriff, and is now (1883) treasurer of the village of Caro. Is married and has had three children, only one of whom is living. He, Harry S., is engaged in the boot and shoe trade in the village of Caro.
Samuel L. Richardson is an Englishman by birth, having been born in Essex, Eng. In his early days he followed the sea for a living, visiting various parts of Europe, from Sebastopol in the Black Sea to Archangel in the northern part of Russia, also to some of the Portuguese and Spanish islands in the Atlantic ocean. During the Crimean war he was on a transport steamer, carrying troops, etc., to Sebastopol, at which place and Balaklava he remained some ten months. He witnessed a number of the battles between the Russians and the allied troops. Although not actively engaged in any of the fights, still according to the terms of his engagement on the transport he was liable to be called upon to go to the front. He left Hull, England, and emigrated to Canada, remaining in that country for some years. In 1869 he went to East Saginaw, Mich., remaining there fifteen years, driving a dray. In 1879 came to Caro and went into the wholesale lager beer trade, also being a retail liquor dealer. Is married and has two children.
John F. Palmer, of the firm of Palmer & Gardner, dealers in groceries, was born in Genesee, Livingston County, N. Y. When he was about ten years of age his family moved to Michigan, settling in Calhoun County. Attended school at Battle Creek. After leaving school he clerked in the store of Charles Austin at Bedford. His family removing to Grand Rapids he accompanied them, and went to school there for about two years. He then returned to Bedford and clerked again in Mr. Austin’s establishment. That gentleman made a trip to New Zealand and for two years the business was carried on under the name of Godsmark & Palmer. On Mr. Austin’s return Mr. Palmer went to Detroit and sold goods for Farrington, Campbell & Co., wholesale grocers, for a number of years. In 1880 he came to Caro, formed a co-partnership with Edward Gardner, and opened a family grocery. He was elected a village trustee in 1881, and re-elected in 1882. Is a married man.
Horace N. Montague came to Centerville, Tuscola County in 1862. In 1874 he run a stage line to Vassar in connection with one that run to East Saginaw. In 1876, in company with M. Curry, kept the Jewell House at Vassar. In 1877 came to Caro and kept a livery stable for about a year, which he traded off for a farm. May 27, 1879, he bought out C. R. Richardson’s boot and shoe store, and is now (1883) engaged in that line of business. Is married and has one child.
J. Ralph Gillespie is the junior member of the firm of J. S. Gillespie & Son, abstract and real estate agents. He was born in Grand Rapids. He and his father have been in the abstract business at Grand Rapids, Romeo, Armada, Corunna, Owosso and Ypsilanti. Mr. Gillespie, Jr., lived at one time in East Saginaw, also at Midland. His father and himself came to Caro in 1876. Is married and has one child.
Fred. S. Wheat, attorney, was born in the State of New York and came to Bay City, Michigan, with his father, Dr. W. K. Wheat, when he was nine years of age, and went to school there and was among the first class of scholars that graduated from the high school in that city. In 1876 his father and family removed to Caro, and he then read law in the office of Atwood & Atwood. In 1878 he was admitted to the bar. The same year he was appointed circuit court commissioner to fill a vacancy, and in the fall of the yeaqr was elected to that office. In 1880 was re-elected. Was married in 1879 and has three children, two of them twins.
Byron L. Ransford, attorney, was born in Mendon, Monroe County, N. Y. Attended school at the academy in East Bloofield, Ontario County. Lived in Mendon until he was seventeen years of age. He then came to Michigan, teaching school first at Rochester and afterward at Battle Creek. Read law in H. Stuart’s office at the latter place for three years. Taught school again at Holly, reading law at the same time. Was admitted to the bar in 1865. Commenced practice at Holly, remaining there until 1872, when he went to East Saginaw. In 1882 located in Tuscola County, at Caro. While in Oakland County was circuit court commissioner for two years. Is married and has one son and a daughter.
George B. Gregory, M. D., is a native of Utica, New York. In 1866 came to Lapeer, Michigan. He attended the homoeopathic colleges at Cleveland and Detroit, also the Woster University, an allopathic institution in Cleveland. He graduated at the Detroit College in 1874, and from the Wooster University in 1878. Practiced his profession in Lapeer and Ovid. In 1882 came to Caro. Married and has two children.
HIMELHOCH & LEWENBERG.
This firm are the proprietors of the “Boston Clothing House,” in the Union Block on State Street, in the village of Caro. They also own the Union Block. They are extensive dealers in clothing, gents’ furnishing goods, hats, caps, etc.
Isaac Himelhoch, of the above firm, was born in Courland in Russia, one of the Baltic provinces of that empire, in which country he received his education. In April, 1874, he arrived in the United States, sojourning at first at Syracuse, New York, and engaged
in selling goods on the road. He remained there until 1876, when he went to Bay City, Michigan, selling goods from that point until 1877, when he came to Caqro and opened a dry-goods business to his brother, Meyer Himelhoch, and put in a stock of clothing, taking in as a partner William B. Lewenberg. Mr. Himelhoch is a young married man.
William B. Lewenberg, the other member of the firm of Himelhoch & Lewenberg, was also born in Courland, Russia, and was educated there, and for so young a man has been an extensive traveler and had a varied experience. In 1869 he came to the United States, living a year in Detroit and some three years in Flint, in which places he was engaged in mercantile pursuits. While in Flint he was one of the leading spirits in organizing that well known military organization, the “Flint Blues.” In 1874, which was about the time of the breaking out of the “diamond fields” excitement in South Africa, he went to that country. For about a year and a half after his arrival in the Cape Colony he was in mercantile business, and then went to the diamond country as a diamond merchant, where he remained some year and in doing so sailed along the eastern coast of Africa, stopping at Natal, Mozambique, Zanzibar, Quilimain, Aden, on through the Red Sea and the Suez Canal to Port Said. From that port he went to Italy, visiting Naples, Rome, Florence, Venice and other parts of that country. He then passed through Austria and on to Berlin, in Prussia, and from there to For a time Riga, in Russia. For a time he was engaged in the grain trade in the interior of that country also traveling extensively in it, but in 1878 made up his mind to make the United States his home. On arriving in New York he started for Bay City, Michigan, at which place he made a short stay and then came to Caqro, associating himself with Mr. Himelhoch in trade. Mr. Lewenberg is quite a linquist, speaking six languages fluently, viz.: German, Hebrew, Russian, Lattish, Hollandische and English. Of all countries in which he has lived he prefers the United States “by a large majority.” Is not a married man.
William L. Rogers was born in Ontario County, New York. When he was but an infant his father came West with his family and settled on a farm in Washtenaw County. From there he removed to Tuscola County in 1850, and cleared up a farm. The son was then but seventeen years of age, and about four years afterward he bought and cleared up a farm for himself in Juniata Township, where he remained for a number of years. In 1870 he came to Caro. In earlier days he followed the trade of a carpenter and joiner and he continued at it until 1878, when he embarked in the real estate business, and is now (1883) still following that line of trade. Has held the offices of township clerk and member of the village council and is now assessor and director of schools for the village. Married and has a family of four children.
Frank Dyer is a member of the firm of Johnson & Dyer dealers in watches, clocks, jewelry, etc. He was born in Wellington, Ohio, and learned the watchmaker’s trade in Cleveland. He came to Michigan in 1878 and was in the employ of D. W. Briggs, of Vassar, for two years. Early in 1880 he moved to Caro and was employed by Gilbert Johnson, watchmaker and jeweler. After being in that gentleman’s establishment some twenty-two months he became a partner in the business. Is married and has one child, a boy.
Edward Belmer was born in St. Charles, Lower Canada, now Quebec. When he was an infant his parents removed to Franklin County, New York, and located at Chautauqua first. The son was brought up at Malone, where his family removed to. He learned the tanners’ and shoemakers’ trades. In 1835 he went to Lewiston, New York. In 1853 he came to Tuscola County, bought land and cleared up a farm. Learned blacksmithing in this county, which trade he worked at on his farm in Almer, also at Wahjamega. Had his house, shop, tools, etc., destroyed by fire in 1863. In March, 1864, enlisted in Company H., Second Michigan Infantry. His regiment was in the Army of the Potomac, and he was with it in fourteen pitched battles, besides many skirmishes. His regiment was at the blowing up of Fort Hill, or “Fort Hell,” as the soldiers called it, and was about decimated by its losses. Was discharged August 5, 1865. On coming back he resumed blacksmithing, which trade he has worked at for some twenty-two years. In 1869 came to Caro and kept a hotel and a store, dealing in general merchandise, also drugs and medicines. Is now (1883) A MANUFACTURER OF “Belmer’s Adhesive Salve,” “Magic Oil,” etc. In 1871 was burned out, losing everything again, including a stock of marble, another business he had engaged in. After the fire he lived in Flint some time. In 1875 came back to Caro again. Kept a hotel and store in the building now occupied by Parkhurst & Johnson. Held the office of town clerk in Almer, has also been a justice of the peace and highway commissioner. He was married in 1838 to Harriet Stafford, of Niagara County, New York. They have six children now living, four of them in the village of Caro.
REV. W. P. MAYWOOD
The Rev. W. P.
Maywood was born March 6, 1843, at Hull, in Lower Canada, now the province of
Quebec. In 1852 his parents removed to
Perth County, Ont. In he was admitted as a member of the
Wesleyan Conference of Canada. He
preached two years in Canada, one at Chatham, and the other at Kingsville. Previous to entering the ministry he taught
school for a time. He then came to
Michigan and was admitted into the Detroit conference on probation in 1867. After that he was stationed at Memphis,
Macomb County, for three years; at Au Sable, Iosco County, three
years; and had entered on his second year at Caro when his health gave
way. His ailments were of a pulmonary
character, and the first symptoms appeared during the last year of his
pastorate at Au Sable. At the Flint
conference he took a superannuated relation,, and
transferred his residence to Denver,, Col.
The change of climate was at first beneficial, and he ws apparently on the way to complete recovery. A relapse, however, set in, and on October
18, 1877, he quietly passed away. His
remains were interred at Denver.
The Detroit Christian Advocate, in an obituary notice of Mr. Maywood had the following: “Brother Maywood was a true Christian man, and a devoted minister of the gospel. He loved his work, and desired to remain on earth only that he might labor for the Master. During the greater part of his illness he cherished the expectation of recovery, based on the belief that God had something more for him to do. He was always unassuming in his deportment, never disposed to push himself into note, satisfied with the field of labor the bishop assigned him, yet retaining something of attachment for the Wesleyan system of Canada. He filled his appointments with entire acceptability to the people, and with a large measure usefulness. The sympathy of the Detroit conference and the Methodist public in this State have been fully extended to him during his protracted illness. In his death the Detroit conference has lost an able and earnest minister, and the church a faithful and ardent member.”
At Detroit, in 1867, he was married to Martha J. Wigle, of Kingsville Ont., who, with three children, survives him. Mrs. M. remained in Denver some six months after Mr. M.’s death, and then returned to Caro, where she is bringing up and educating he children
Mrs. M. is a young woman yet, but has proved herself fully equal to the responsibilities which have fellen to her lot.
John F. Wilmot is a native of Kingston, Ont., and was educated in the common schools of the city. He left there when he was about twenty years of age, and traveled through the New England States, working at his trade of tinsmith, for two years. Came to Caro, Tuscola County, in 1872, and went into the hardware trade, also having a tin shop in connection. Was president of the village of Caro in 1880, also one of the trustees. Was president and business manager of the Caro Citizen for two years, until it was merged into the Advertiser. Was first president of the Caro District Agricultural Society, in the organization of which he was prominent. Married and has a family of five children.
Benjamin F. Nettleton was born in Penfield, Monroe County, N. Y. in 1833. In 1835 his father went with his family to Geauga County Ohio. The family consisted of four sons and four daughters, and Mrs. Nettleton. Benjamin F. lived in Ohio until 1856, when he came to Tuscola County, settling in what is now Juniata Township. He lived in that township for about twenty years, during which he followed his trade, that of a carpenter and joiner. He also cultivated a farm. In 1875 he disposed of his farm and purchased the Exchange Hotel in Caro, and has since kept the house. That the house is a good one ins an assertion that finds proof in the fact that it has a large home patronage. In addition to hotel keeping he has also been for years interested in lumbering. He held the office of highway commissioner for three years, also was a constable. In 1862 was married to Mary J. Ensign, a native of Ohio, but a resident of Juniata. They have had six children, only one of whom, a daughter, is now living.
Elmer E. Rundel was born in the township of Novi, Oakland County, Mich. He received his early education in the district schools of the adjoining township of Commerce. He learned the trade of a butcher at Holly, and was in business for himself at that place for some five years. He came to Caro in 1878 and went into the boot and shoe trade, continuing at it for about two years. He then sold out and was for a while engaged in business as a butcher. In 1882 he embarked in the grocery and provision trade. Is married.
Was born June 29, 1848, at South Crosby,
seven miles from Brockville, Ont.
His early days were passed without much of a chance to get an
education. In 1866,
when about eighteen years of age, he came to Tuscola County. His first night in the county was passed in
Vassar. During it the hotel at which he
was stopping was burned down, and he found himself in the morning minus money
and all his clothes save what he saved on his back. He was compelled therefore to seek
employment, and he hired out to go into the woods. In the spring following he bought eighty
acres of land in Elmwood Township, and cleared a small field which he put under
wheat. He worked for four consecutive
winters in the woods, and each spring drove logs. In the course of time he acquired a thorough
knowledge of limbering, and he readily obtained employment at the highest
wages. For two springs he was employed
to take charge of 100 men on the Flint River, receiving $4 per day. When twenty-one years old a
Saginaw firm paid him $150 per month to scale logs. In 1870 he went into business with Henry A.
Dodge, at Elmwood Corners. The copartnership was a brief one, as in a few months he
purchased his partner’s interest.
In September, 1870, he was married to Miss Frances J. Bearss, a native of Tilsonburg, Ont., but at that time living with her parents in Elmwood. For some three years she was his sole assistant in the store in fact, most of the time managing the business herself, her husband being engaged in buying and selling logs.
In 1872 he secured the establishment of a postoffice at Elmwood, and was postmaster until he removed to Caro, in June, 1873.
He located in a small building on the corner of Main and Burnside Streets, and in addition to his mercantile pursuits operated in logs for Bay City parties for two winters. He also bought shingle bolts, etc., extensively on his own account.
In the fall of 1874 he bought a portable saw-mill and located it in the township of Almer. It cut 1,000,000 feet of lumber that winter. He also sold 1,000,000 feet of logs. In 1875-’76 and 1876’77 he got out logs for Eddy, Avery & Co., of East Saginaw.
His first store was 20X40 feet in size, but additions have been made until the grocery department is 14X100 and the dry goods 22X72 feet in size. His first year’s business in Caro aggregated about $9,000; it now amounts to $50,000 per annum. The season of 1882-’83 he handled over $25,000 worth of railroad ties, cedar fence posts, house blocks, telegraph poles, etc., which are shipped to all parts of the United States.
Mr. Young has erected a number of buildings in Caro, among which may be mentioned the brick store on Main Street, near Burnside; a dwelling near the railroad depot, his own elegant residence on the corner of Pearl and Cooper Streets, costing some $10,000; a steam elevator, etc. He is also about to erect a new brick store for his own business this year, 1883. He is the owner of considerable real estate in Caro, and three farms in the adjacent country.
One of the local papers, the Citizen, says of him: “Mr. Young’s success as a business man is one instance, and a striking one, of what the right kind of genius, aided by hard work, can accomplish. Personally he is highly esteemed, and his liberality toward all public or benevolent objects is well known. Such men as A. C. Young give vigor to any community, and such success commands admiration, while it exacts respect and appreciation.”
David S. Stevens was born in Wheeler, Steuben County, N.Y., in 1826. He was educated at academy at Prattsburg in that county. Came to Michigan in 1848. Taught school at Monroe. Commenced the study of medicine at Oakville Monroe County, in 1849. Attended the second and third courses of lectures delivered in the Michigan University at Ann Arbor. Graduated about 1853. Began practice at Monroe and went from there to Oakville. Was postmaster there for about ten years. In 1862 went out as assistant surgeon of the Eighteenth Michigan Infantry, and was with that regiment until it was mustered out. Was promoted to be surgeon in 1863. In 1866 came to Centerville, now Caro, and commenced practice of medicine. Has resided there ever since. Has been a member of the village council. Is married.
Simeon Botsford is one of the earliest settlers of the town of Ellington, and one whose name is intimately connected with the early history of that town. He was born in the State of Connecticut, September 27, 1805. At twenty years of age he removed to Michigan with his parents and settled in Oakland County. In April, 1834, he was married in Oakland County to Miss Mary Ann Delling. In 1853 he visited Tuscola County on an exploring expedition with a view of locating if the prospect suited him. He found a choice piece of land in the present town of Ellington. In 1855 he brought his family and became one of the early settlers of that region, as is stated in the history of that town, which also is a record of Mr. Botsford’s activity in public affairs, and the service he was able to render in building up a new town and society. About two years ago Mr. Botsford left the farm, and is now living in the village of Caro.
D. H. Andrews was born in Geauga County, Ohio, in 1818, where he resided up to 1835, when he came to Tuscola County and took up the land where he now resides. He was married in 1839
to Miss Rachael M. Sutton of his native place, but who was born in Lower Canada. Mr. Andrews owns 240 acres of land on section 18, and may well be called one of the pioneers of Tuscola County, as there were but three or four families at that time in the township, of whom he calls to mind D. D. Dopking, S. P. Sherman and J. Crane. Messrs. Heartt and Stuck were just building their mill at Wahjamega. He was the founder of the first Sunday-school in the township, which was also the first one in that section of country.
Joseph Morrison, deceased, was born in Orange County, N.Y., in 1812, and remained there until 1860, when he came to Michigan, stopping two or three years n Flint, then came to the township of Indian Fields and settled on the farm where his widow now resides. The surviving family consists of Mrs. Morrison, whom he married in 1835 in Orange County, N.Y., and three children- two sons and one daughter. One son is now in Dakota and the other in Caro. The daughter, now Mrs. R. Purdy, lives abut one mile from the old homestead. Mr. Morrison’s death occurred in 1871.
J. H. Wright was born in Tompkins County, N.Y., in 1837 and remained there until he came to Tuscola County in 1869. He first purchased a farm about one mile east of his present residence, upon which he resided ten years, then exchanged it for the place he now owns. Mr. Wright is a mason by trade, but of late years has devoted his time and attention exclusively to farming. He was married in 1862 to Miss Ellen J. Thompson, of Tompkins County, N.Y., and has four sons and one daughter.