HISTORY OF TUSCOLA COUNTY
The village of Caro is provided with superior banking facilities. There are two banks, both of which are managed by safe and sound business men and are in a prosperous condition. The magnitude of their business and the elegance of the quarters which they occupy constitute a flattering testimonial to the general thrift and progress of the locality.
THE CARO EXCHANGE BANK
was established in August, 1875, by Mr. Charles Montague, and the office was located in the store of C. Montague & Co.; thence it was removed to the corner of State and Frank Streets. In September, 1879, the new block in which it is now located was completed and a portion of the ground floor was converted into one of the most complete banking offices in this part of the State. The rooms are large, elegantly finished, and supplied with rich and costly furniture. The proprietor of the bank is Charles Montague and the cashier is W. F. Street.
THE TUSCOLA COUNTY BANK
In October, 1878, Mr. John F. Seeley came to Caro from Ovid, New York, for the purpose of engaging in the banking business. No suitable building being available, he opened an office, temporarily, in the furniture establishment of James H. Howell. July, 1880, the Bank Block was begun, and completed the following December. The building is of brick, two stories high, and 20x44 feet in size. The building with the bank furnishings cost about $5,500. This bank is one of the prosperous institutions of the county. John F. Seeley is proprietor and J. C. Riley is teller.