HISTORY OF TUSCOLA COUNTY
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
The first preaching in the town of Elkland was by a
clergyman of the Methodist Church, Rev. Mr. Baker, at the house of Andrew
Walmsley, as elsewhere described. Shortly after this a class was organized
at Mr. Walmsley's house by Rev. Mr. Greenlow. The exact number is not
known, but probably there were seven or eight members. Services were
continued, usually once in two weeks, until the time of the regular organization
of a church.
At a quarterly conference of Watrousville circuit held at Centerville in January, 1869, the following persons were elected as trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Cass City: Andrew Walmsley, Hugh Seed, Jacob Schenck, Alonzo Dewitt, John C. Laing, to be known and called "The Trustees of the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Cass City." This was the legal organization laws of the State.
The Cass City circuit was, to use the language of Rev. Mr. Withey, "born at the fourteenth session of the Detroit conference held at Detroit September 1 to 8, 1869." Rev. J. E. Withey was the first appointed preacher in charge. The circuit was duly organized with appointments at Cass City, Ellington and Almer on one Sabbath, and at Gagetown, Bird's and Cass City o another, with week night meetings at Columbia, Bingham's and Novesta. A Sunday-school and Thursday evening prayer meeting were at once started at Cass City.
The society having been presented by Brother Hugh Seed with two lots, a parsonage was built, into which the pastor's family moved in January, 1870.
Services were held in the school-house, but with a view to securing a permanent home. At the first Quarterly Conference; held at Cass City, Oct. 25, 1879, the subject of a church-building was called up by the pastor, and after discussion, A. Walmsley, J. Schenck and L. A. DeWitt were elected a building committee. The next year the building was erected.
The laying of the corner stone was an interesting event in the history of Cass City, and was described as follows: "As the piople assembled, the I. O. O. F., led by the Cass City cornet band, marched from their hall and took seats in regular order to assist in the ceremonies. The audience was called to order by the pastor, Rev. H. Palmer. Music was discoursed by the band. The opeing services of the ritual were read by Rev. I. J. B. McKenney, of Ellington, who preached the first sermon ever delivered in Cass City. Prayer was offered by Riv. G. H. Field, of Caro, and after a reading of the Scripture lessons by the pastor, Rev. O. J. Perrin, of Monroe, (a few years ago presiding elder of Saginaw district), was introduced and delivered and interesting address. As he closed he gave opportunity for any to add their names to the subscription list before it, with other things, was deposited in the stone, or, as he said, to become "charter members" of the concern, and $205 was added to the subscription fund, although it was not the intention to try to raise money on this occasion. The corner stone, bearing the legend, "M. E. Church, 1880," was from Parker's yard, in Caro, and was put in position by Mr. Deming, the builder, and the contents of the box were deposited by Mr. Perrin. These consisted of the county papers, Citizen, Pioneer and the Advertiser, Bible, hymnal, discipline, copy of subscription list, names of trustees and building committee, history of the village by Robert Tennant, names of scholars attending school, names of the band, copy of Grange and Good Templars' record, including Cass City and Elkland lodges. The Odd Fellows then assisted with the beautiful ceremonies of the order, and made a deposit of a record of their encampment, after which the audience, after a prayer, were dismissed with the benediction."
Succeeding the Rev. J. E. Withey, came Revs. Ira H. Camburn, Joseph Ashford, Jas. A. Dunlap, J. G. Sparling, H. Palmer and Benj. Reeve, the present pastor. The present membership of the church is fifty-six. There is a flourishing Sunday-school, the usual aid society and also an association of young ladies, formed about a year ago at the suggestion of Mrs. Reeve, and bearing the mystic title of the "K.T.I." Club. The purpose of the Club is the financial help of the church, working to that end by means of social entertainments, fairs, etc., and doing effective work in lifting the church over those rough places which are occasionally met with in the financial history of all religious societies.
There had been, up to 1877, occasional preaching in Cass City by clergymen of the Presbyterian denomination, viz: by the Rev. Mr. Wilson, who pursued the occupation of farming in Huron County, and by the Rev. Mr. McCielland, a missionary preacher.
June 25, 1877, an organization was effected at a meeting held in Cass City, Rev. Reid presiding. There were admitted by letter Mrs. Hugh Seed and W. S. Work and wife. W. S. Work was ordained ruling elder and also elected clerk.
The first settled parson was the Rev. J. Kelland; Rev. Mr. Beecher having, however, supplied the pulpit for the first six months.
From this small membership of three the church grew rapidly, receiving many members during the succeeding year, both by profession of faith and by letter.
the first trustees under the formal organization of the "First Presbyterian Society of Cass City" were James L. Hitchcock, Hugh Seed, Sylvester Ale, John C. Laing and Robert G. Orr.
A subscription had been started before Mr.. Kelland's arrival, to raise funds for a church building, but little had been practically accomplished. Through his vigorous efforts with the efficient aid of his church and society the necessary funds were raised and the building erected.
At a meeting of the board of trustees Feb. 11, 1878, a committee of three was appointed to advertise for bids for the building of a church edifice. At subsequent meetings plans were agreed upon, a contract for construction let to George Tennant and lots 1 and 3, block 4, of Seed's Addition to Cass City, selected as a location. The foundation work was done by the society; the superstructure by the contractor. It was completed in the fall of 1878, and dedicated in October, dedicatory services being conducted by Rev. Wm. Grandy, assisted by Rev. E. P. Clark, of Vassar.
The building is in Gothic style, of very neat construction, having a bell-tower on the corner, through which is the main entrance to the church. The seating capacity is three hundred or over.
The membership of the church is about forty. A flourishing Sunday-school is connected with it.
about a year ago Rev. Mr. Kelland retired from the pastorate and, subsequently, engaged in editorial work, taking charge of the Cass City Enterprise. At present the church has no settled pastor.
A ladies' aid society was organized in connection with the church the year after their house of worship was built. The officers are, Mrs. Kelland, president; Mrs. Crosby, secretary, and Mrs. Dr. McLachlan, treasurer.
A class of this church which is commonly known as the German Methodist, was organized in the town of Elkland about the year 1866, by the Rev. Stephen Henne in connection with the Sebewaing mission. The class numbered about fifteen members. It has had regular services from that time to the present, and a regular succession of pastors. Services being held in the school-house, one mile north and one-half mile east of Cass City. In the latter part of 1882, a formal organization was effected at Cass City, and steps taken for the construction of a house of worship, which is now in course of construction. The earnest zeal of the members and their individual labors and contributions of material have reduced the estimated cost of the buildings to about $1,500.
The pastor of the church at the present time is the Rev. B. F. Wade, who resides on his farm in the town of Elkland. The membership is about fifty. There is a flourishing Sunday-school every Sabbath. The trustees of the church are John Benkelman, Fred. Krapf, Oscar Sencner, Levi Muntz and Adam Benkelman.
In January, 1880, the first religious services of the Baptist denomination were held in Cass City, Rev. James McArhur officiating. In April a church organization was effected, with Rev. James McArthur as pastor. The church under his pastoral care has increased largely, numbering, now, fifty members. About one-half of these have received the rite of baptism here. They are mostly the fruit of two revivals, with which the church has been favored.
April 29, 1882, the church met at their regular covenant meeting and in order to become a corporate body elected three trustees, viz: Rev. James McArthur, R. H. Lewis and R. Webster. At a covenant meeting held May 17, 1882, articles of association were adopted and the name of the society established as "The First Baptist Church of Cass City."
In the following summer lots were bought and a building committee appointed, consisting of Harrison Lewis, Wesley Barker, B. McEwing, Phillip Cresser, D. D. McArthur and the pastor. In the spring of 1883, work was commenced up the building, which is now under construction and is to cost about $1,400 besides the furnishing.
LODGES AND SOCIETIES.
Tyler Lodge was organized under dispensation dated June 19, 1873, with nine members, two more being added by limit at the first meeting. The first officers were: Samuel C. Armstrong, W. M.; Alexander B. McCullough, S. W.; George B. Hunt, J. W.; A. a. Polly, Sec.; John J. McKinney, Treas.; Travis Leach, S. D.; Alfred Davis, J. D.; Lonson Wilcox, T.
The lodge was chartered January, 29 1874. Its present membership is fifty, and its officers; Samuel C. Armstrong, W. M.; E. Brotherton, S. W.; T. E. Morse, J. W.; C. J. Lowrie, Sec.; John J. McKinney, Treas.; Travis Leach S. D.; Alfred Davis, J. D.; Lonson Wilcox, T. Meetings, Saturday evenings on or before the full moon in each month.
Cass City Lodge No. 203, of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, was organized under dispensation February 22, 1873, the original and charter members being Robert Tennant, H. S. Wickware, J. H. Camburn, Warren Weydemeyer, and P. R. Weydemeyer. Its first officers were: J. H. Camburn, N. G.; Robert Tennant, V. G.; P. R. Weydemeyer, Rec. Sec.; J. C. Laing, Per. Sec.; George Tennant, Treas. The present membership of the lodge is fifty; its time of meeting, every Wednesday night: and its officers: P. R, Weydember, N. G.; J. Defing, V. G.; Jas Tennant, Rec. Sec.; N. L. McLachlan, Per. Sec.; J. D. Withey, Treas.
Cass City Lodge No. 559 was organized in July, 183,
with twenty-seven charter members. There was a ladge of this order in Cass
City, about three years, which, however failed to maintain its organization.
Interest has however been revived, as this new organization indicates.
The officers elected were: I. A. Fritz, W. C.; P. P. Cressor, W. V. C.; J. A. McLean, W. Sec.; J. A. McArthur, W. T.; J. Eno, W. I. G.; O. Kelley, W. O. G.; F. Belles, W. marshal.; J McDougall, W. P. Sec.
WOMAN'S CHRISTIAN TEMPERANCE UNION
A Branch of this organization was formed in May, 1883, with fourteen members; Mrs. J. Kelland, president; Mrs. S. C. Armstrong, secretary; and Mrs. I. R. Beach, treasurer. Regular meetings are held every two weeks on Saturday evening, and arrangements have been made for monthly union meetings on Sunday evenings.
KNIGHTS OF HONOR.
The Knights of Honor Lodge No. 2762, of Cass City, was instituted May 25, 1882, by Wm. B. Lewenberg, D. G. D. There were twenty-eight charter members, and the following officers were elected to serve until January 1, 1883; Dictator, S. Ale; vice-dictator, W. Weydemeyer; assistant dictator, D. Spitler; reporter, King S. Work; financial reporter, Frank E. Austin; treasurer, T. H. Fritz; chaplain, J. R. Beach; guide, Jos. H. Winegar; guardian, H Hirshberg; sentinel, J Brown; medical examiner, Dr. McLachlan; trustees, W. McKinzie, D. C. Ross, T. E. Morse; past dictator, S. C. Armstrong.
The present membership is sixteen. Present officers; S. C. Armstrong, D.; H. S. Wickware, V. D.; T. E. Morse, A. D.; James Tennant, Rep.; F. E. Austin, F. Rep.; T. H. Fritz, Treas.; John R. Beach, chap.; Joseph H. Winegar, guide; H. Hirshberg, guardian; William McKinzie, Sen.; John C. Laing, James Tennant and A. L. Muzzy, trustees.
KNIGHTS OF THE MACCABEES.
January 27, 1883, Cass City Tent No. 74, of K.O.T.M. was organized at Cass City with seventeen charter members, and the following officers; P. S. K. C., Henry Butler; S. K. C. Angus D. Gillies, S. K. L. C., Henry S. Wickware; S. K. R. K., William Walker; S. K. F.K., Edward Keating; prelate, George A. Cooper; physician, A. W. Carey; sergeant, W. B. Anderson;; sentinel, L. W. Bogert. Regular meeting first Friday evening in each month.
the act of the legislature, which provides for the
incorporation of the village of Cass City defines it corporate limits as
follows: the southwest quarter of section 27, the southeast quarter of
section 28, the northeast quarter of section 33, and the northwest quarter of
section 34. P. R. Weydemeyer, J. C. Laing and William Walker, were
constituted a board of registration. Pursuant to their call an election
was held April 30, 1883, at which ninety-six votes were cast, and the following
officers, elected, viz., Henry Butler, president; Samuel C. Armstrong, clerk;
Theodore H. Fritz, treasurer; Sylvester Ale, assessor; James L. Hitchcock, James
W. Adamson, H. S. Wickware, James D. Crosby, Philetus R. Weydemeyer, Robert G.
Orr, trustees; W. Scott Brotherton, street commissioner; A. J. Williams,
The first meeting of the village council was held May 3, 1883, the result of the election being declared and oath of office being
duly administered the tie vote between Hugh Seed and Henry S. Wickware, being
decided by lot in favor of the latter, N. S. Work being appointed clerk pro
tem., in the absence of the clerk elect, and the council being duly
organized for business, the official life of the village was inaugurated by a
resolution that "the bonds for retail liquor dealers in the village of Cass City
be fixed at $3,000," and "the bonds of druggists at $1,000." After which the
council adjourned until evening.
The further records of the council show that early attention was paid to the good order of the village, the prevention as well as repression and punishment of crime, and the improvement of the streets and walks.
JAMES L. HITCHCOCK was born and educated at Oriskany Falls, Oneida County, N. Y., and is a son of Hiram and Lucinda Hitchcock. When he became of age he learned the tinsmith's trade, with Amos M. Hitchcock, a practical workman and dealer in hardware. September 10, 1858, he purchased from the government 120 acres of land. in what is now known as the township of Koylton and Dayton. Tuscola County. February 2, 1859, he purchased his first bill of goods in the State of Buhl & Ducharme of Detroit and moved on his land. He built a log cabin which he covered temporarily with sheet iron and which he afterwards made into camp kettles, and sold to the Indians and a few white settlers. He was the pioneer hardware man of central and northern Tuscola, his tin shop being located in a dense forest, which abounded in deer, wolves and other wild animals. He built the first frame house in the township, and manufactured tinware which he traded with the Indians. He was married September 14, 1862, to Miss Carrie M. Turnbull of North Jackson, Ohio, a daughter of Robert and Margaret Turnbull. She attended Hiram College when James A. Garfield was its president, and completed her education at the Female Seminary in Steubenville, Ohio. She taught school two years in Tuscola County, after she was married, walking two miles to and from her school night and morning. March 21, 1864, he moved to Wahjamega, and built a store and dwelling, and while he worked at his trade wis wife acted as clerk. He resided there upward of eight years, and September 6, 1872, he removed to Cass City, where he has since been engaged in mercantile business and farming.
A. D. GILLIES was born in Elgin County, Ontario, February 22, 1855, and remained on his father's farm until 1873, when he went to the village of Duart and engaged in mercantile business. In February, 1881, he came to Cass City and opened a general dry goods store, which he is conducting under very favorable circumstances. he was married May 16, 1883, to Miss Anna E. Walmsley of Cass City.
REV. JOHN KELLAND was born in County Devon, England, November 21, 1830. He received a common school education, and at the proper age was apprenticed to the printer's trade. After serving his time he came to America in 1855, and for a year and a half worked in the Citizen office in Flint. He then entered the university in Detroit from which he graduated in 1861, and also took a full course in the Auburn Theological Seminary from which he graduated in 1864. His first pastoral charge was the Presbyterian church in Angola, Steuben County, Ind., from which he went to Omro, Winnebago County, Wis., thence to Lawton, Van Buren County, Mich., and in 1871 returned to England on a visit. After his return to the United States he took charge of the Presbyterian churches at Southfield and Franklin, Oakland County, Mich., where he spent five years. He then went to Flushing, Genesee County, and in 1878 came to Tuscola County and located in Cass City as pastor of the Presbyterians there. At the time there were three adherents but no church edifice of any kind in the place. A subscription had been circulated to raise funds to build a church edifice, but nothing had been done practically. He at once took hold of the matter earnestly and energetically, and the edifice was built under his direction and dedicated in October, 1878. In February, 1883, he purchased the main interest in the Cass City Enterprise, and is its editor. He has purchased five acres of land within the corporation, upon which he has erected a fine dwelling. He married Miss Fanny E. Sharland., of County Devon, England. She was born in 1829.
P. R. WEYDEMEYER was born in Warren County, Ohio, in 1837, and came to the State of Michigan with his paretns in early life, and settled in Oakland County. He resided there about twenty years, and then moved to the township of Elmwood, Tuscola County, and settled on section 36. In 1861 he enlisted in the First Michigan Cavalry and served over four years. In 1867 he entered into partnership with J. C. Laing, for the purpose of carrying on a general mercantile business in Cass City, which he continued until 1877, when he went to Texas and engaged in the cattle trade until 1879, when he returned to Cass City and opened a hardware store. he was married in 1864 to Miss Mary E. Nash, of Elmwood, a native of Wayne County Mich., and has four children.
ALFRED W. CAREY, M. D., was born in Lambton, Ont., in 1853, and like most children in Canada, where an excellent school system prevails, attended the district school and afterward the Baptist College at Woodstock. he afterward taught school in Kent County for three years, when he went to Detroit and studied in the Michigan College of Medicine, from which he graduated in 1881. He then went to Columbiaville, Lapeer County, and in February, 1882, came to Cass City and established himself n business. March 7th, of that year, he entered into partnership with Dr. J. H. McLean, and is having a first-class practice. He married Miss Phoebe C. Brown, of Kent County, Ont., and has two children.
GEORGE TENNANT was born in Leeds County, Ont., November 11, 1838, residing in that county until he was twenty-four years of age. he left there in 1863 and came to Tuscola County and settled in the township of Indian Fields. In the fall of 1869 he sold out and removed to Cass City, where he purchased a hotel and engaged in that business. he afterward purchased a farm near the village, and has been engaged in lumbering. In 1877 he bought a capacity of 10,000 feet of lumber per day. Mr. Tennant is a thorough, practical, enterprising citizen, and keeps a good house. he was married n 1870 to Miss Maria Utter, of Caro, and has three children.
FRANK HENDRICK was born in Saybrook, Ashtabula County, Ohio, January 7, 1851. He spent his boyhood days at home on his father's farm, and had the advantages of a common school education. In September, 1867, he came to Tuscola County and located in the township of Ellington, on section 1, and helped to clear eighty acres of land. In the spring of 1871 he came to Cass City and worked with James E. Withey at the watch-maker's trade. He afterward took the business which he continued for a while, when he went back to the farm in 1873, remaining there till 1877, when he again came to Cass City and opened a jewelry store, which he has since continued. He keeps a large stock and an assortment that would do credit to a much larger town. He was married in 1873 to Miss Margaret A. Higgins, of Elmwood, formerly of Hagersville, Haldimand County, Ont., where she was born in 1852. They have had one child, Cora Viola, born April 28, 1875, and died March 28, 1881.
HENRY WICKWARE was born in Millington, Leeds County, Ont.,
June 22, 1849, and when nine years of age moved with his parents to Abinger, Addington County, where he remained till 1868. He then came to Tuscola County and resided in Caro a year when he came to Cass city. Mr. Wickware is a carpenter and builder by occupation and has established a wagon making business in Cass City, employing several men. In the fire of 1881 he lost a saw-mill and 75,000 feet of lumber, beside having his farm swept clean of all improvements. September 7, 1873, he married Miss Vanie Alvers, of Cass City formerly from near London, Ont., where she was born. They have one child, Oracle, born June 28, 1881.
EDGAR DAVIS was born in Island Pond, Essex County, Vt., in 1843, and when old enough to carry a slab, began work in a sawmill, and has since followed the business. In fact he is proficient in every department of saw-mill work, having had experience in every capacity connected therewith. In 1864 he came to Genesee county, Mich., going from there to Saginaw, where he was with William a. Heartt six years. In 1872 he bought a piece of land on section 34 in the township of Elkland, Tuscola County, and is running a saw-mill at Cass City.
JOHN B. PETERSON was born in York County, Ont., in June, 1831, and is by occupation a carpenter and joiner. He followed his trade in Canada till 1865, when he went to Iowa and settled in Sac City, where he engaged in building, remaining there fifteen years. he then came to Tuscola County and located near Cass City, buying land on sections 21 and 26, township of Elkland. he has since purchased land in the corporation of Cass City, upon which he has built a residence, and is about engaging in market gardening and the raising of small fruits. In 1854 he married Miss Jane Beebe, of York county, Ont., and has nine children.
NORMAN L. MCLACHLAN, M.D., was born in township of Williams, Middlesex county, Ontario, November 26, 1854, and moved with his parents to Argyle, Sanilac County, Mich., when seven years of age, remaining there till the spring of 1864. He then returned to Canada and attended the Kent Bridge School two and one-half years; then came home and attended school summers, working winters in the woods. he lumbered a while on his own account, and when twenty years of age came to Cass City and commenced the study of medicine with Dr. Graves, remaining in his office about nine months. In the fall of 1875 he went to Toronto, Ontario, and studied with Dr. John McConnell till spring, then went to Watford, where he was with Dr. Harvey. The next fall he became a student i the University of Michigan, from which he graduated, from it medical department, March 27, 1878, but in the mean time had spent six months in Dr. Harvey's office. He then visited Cass City, with no intention of locating there, but being persuaded by his friends did so, and June 1, 1878, commenced practice. The doctor is in every sense a self-made man, and has succeeded beyond his expectations, standing high in the ranks of his profession with an increasing business. He was married in November, 1878, to Miss Emma Jackson, of Blenheim, Ontario, and has one child.
TRAVIS SCHENCK was born in Steuben County, N. Y., September 15, 1856, and when twelve years of age came to Tuscola County with his parents and settled in the township, where they purchased land on section 21 and 28. Mr. Schenck has seen the forests disappear by the hand of the sturdy pioneer, and fruitful fields succeed the dense forest, shanties give place to more commodious dwellings, domestic animals feeding in green pastures, where wild animals previously prowled in trackless jungles, trackless wilds now intersected by wagon roads and railroads, and the wilderness once roamed over by savages, now teeming with busy, energetic and enterprising men. He was married October 2, 1878, to Miss Hattie Eno, of Elkland, and has two children.
ROBERT G. ORR was born in County Down, Ireland, in September, 1847, and came to America in the spring of 1860. He landed in Philadelphia, and went to Central Pennsylvania, where he remained till the spring of 1863, when he went to Ohio and lived in Cincinnati till the spring of 1864. He then came to Tuscola County, and worked in the lumber woods and on a farm till the next spring, when he purchased land in Elkland on section 27, and the next year commenced clearing. When he first came to the township he had to go to Vassar and Wahjamega to mill and for his supplies, and where Cass City now stands was almost an unbroken wilderness. He was married in 1870 to Miss Jennie Davidson, of Erie County, N. Y. who died January 16, 1871, and was again married to Miss Emma Pettit, of Cass City, in 1878. She was born in Middlesex County, Ontario.
E.B. LANDON, one of the enterprising farmers of Elkland, was born in Oakland county, Mich., January 31, 1842. He received a common school education, and in 1859 commenced his studies at the Oxford Academy, which he attended several terms until 1863. In 1860 he commenced teaching school, and when not so employed was working on a farm. During the winter of 1865 he attended the law department of the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, and in the spring of 1878 passed an examination at Caro, and was admitted to the bar. The same hear he purchased a farm on section 21, in elkland, and moved to Cass City, where he opened a law office and commenced the practice of his profession. He was married March 25, 1878, to Mrs. Lydia a. Johnson, whose maiden name was Smith; she was born April 11, 1850, and was a resident of Oakland County; was married first to A. Johnson, of Dryden, August 5, 1868, and who died February 23, 1870. She has two sons, A. Johnson and Richard Landon.
JAMES W. ADAMSON was born in Lorain County Ohio, June 15, 1850, and about 1856 moved with his parents to Fulton County, where he remained until 1871. He then came to Cass City and taught school three terms, when he made an engagement with J. C. Laing, merchant, remaining in his store two and one-half years. In 1875 he went to East Saginaw and worked in a store till 1878, when he returned to Cass City and again worked for J. C. Laing about two years. In 1881 he purchased a store and stock of drugs of Doctor Deming, and opened business with Theodore Fritz. The partnership continued till February, 1883, when he bought Mr. Fritz's interest and formed a partnership with his brother. He was married October 10, 1877, to Miss Amelia Meartz, of East Saginaw, and has one child, Edward, born September 23, 1879. he has held the office of treasurer for Elkland two years.
CHARLES J. LOWRIE was born in 1856 at Russell, Geauga County, Ohio. His father's farm was about three miles from where the late President James A. Garfield was born, and with whom Mr. Lowrie enjoyed a personal acquaintance. A part of his education was acquired at the National Normal School at Lebanon, and the schools at Chagrin Falls, Ohio. In1879 he commenced reading law in the office of D. W. Canfield, at Chardon, in Geauga County, teaching school in the winters. Was admitted to the bar at Cass in 1882, and commenced practice at Cass City. Is unmarried.
GEORGE F. SHERWOOD, of Cass City, was born in Norwalk, Fairfield County, Conn., in 1838. In 1848 his parents moved to Ohio. He remained at home until 1856, when he went on to the Cleveland & Toledo Railroad as fireman, and in 1857 commenced running an engine on the same road. he continued in that business until September, 1861, when he enlisted in the Third Ohio Cavalry, and remained with his regiment in the Army of the Cumberland until the fall of 1862, when he was sent home on sick leave. he was discharged for disability in the spring of 1863. Came to Novesta, Tuscola County, in 1870, and settled on eighty acres of land in section 16.
There he remained until the spring of 1883, when he moved to Cass City, his present residence. he was married in 1866 to Caroline Knapp, a native of Ohio. they have five children.
L. A. DEWITT, of Cass City, was born in new York in 1838. he remained at home until September, 1861, when he enlisted in the Eighty-sixth New York Infantry, and served in the Army of the Potomac until July, 1865. His regiment belonged to the famous Third Army corps, commanded by General Daniel E. Sickles. Mr.. DeWitt was twice badly wounded at the battle of Chancellorsville, Va., May 3, 1863. In 1869 he came to Elkland and bought a farm on which he lived one year, after which he moved to Cass City, and worked at carpenter and cabinet work until December, 1875, when he bought a half interest in the planning-mill. In 1880 he bought his partner's interest, and since that time has carried on the business alone. In addition to the planing-mill he also manufactures sash, doors and blinds, and is also engaged in the furniture and undertaking business. he was married January 1, 1866, to Mary E. Schenck.
WILLIAM E. RANDALL was born in Canada in 1848. he remained on his father's farm until he was twenty years of age. In 1868 he went to Mayville, Tuscola County, Mich., and was there employed at farming. In 1869 he moved to Elkland and settled on section 29, on land which his father had bought in 1856. This farm he cultivated most of the time until the spring of 1882, when he moved to his present home on section 8, where he owns 320 acres, of which 100 are under improvement. He married in 1873 to Mary E. Pillen. They have six children.