Page 127




     Township 14 north, of range 8 east was organized by the board of supervisors at a meeting held December 31, 1855, and designated by the name of Akron.  The first township meeting was held on the first Monday in April, 1856, at the house of Alvin Waldo; and Charles H. Beach, Lucius H. Waldo and Edward Van Demark were inspectors of election.

     The signers to the petition for the organization of Akron were:  John G. Beck, Ransom Briggs, Josiah H. Trusdell, Alvin Waldo, Lucius H. Waldo, Edward Van Demark, Daniel Sumner, James Demarest, Andrew J. Tobias, John Nicholson, Thomas Nicholson, Richard Stark.  As now organized the town of Akron comprises most of the former town of Geneva.

     The town of Geneva was organized by the board of supervisors at a meeting held January 11, 1860, and comprised the territory of fractional township 15 north, of range 8 east.  In 1879 the legislature of Michigan passed an act to disorganize the township of Geneva and to change the boundaries of the township of Akron.  This act provided that section 36, of the township of Geneva, and section 1, of the township of Akron, be detached from their respective towns and attached to the township of Columbia; and all of the township of Geneva, except section 36, be attached to the township of Akron.




     The following entries of land were made prior to the year 1860.




SECTION 2.            Charles H. Cortright, May 3,1854
                        Leonard W. Kile, October 23, 1854

                        Abraham Van Demark, November 14, 1854

                        Abraham Van Demark, March 8, 1855

                        Lodawick Hover, October 30, 1855


SECTION 3.            John Royer, October 22, 1855

                        Albert Luther, December 11, 1858


SECTION 4            Abraham Van Demark, March 8, 1855

                        Abraham Van Demark, December 15, 1855

                        Johnson Betts, May 9, 1856

                        Erastus Randall, May 9, 1856

                        Erastus Randall, March 19, 1859

                        D. Sumner, March 19, 1859


SECTION 7            William C. Counrod, October 28, 1854


SECTION 9            Abraham Van Demark, December 15, 1855


SECTION 10            John Royer, October 22, 1855

                        Gamaliel E. Trusdell, October 30, 1855

                        Comstock Brown, October 4, 1856

                        William R. Woodman. November 5, 1856


SECTION 11            Charles H. Cortright, May 3, 1854

                        James H. Preston, November 14, 1854

                        Leonard Kile, July 7, 1854


SECTION 12            Anna Maria Layer, December 6, 1853

                        Levi Rumpel, March 20, 1854

                        John Nicholson, March 23, 1854

                        John Nicholson, April 1, 1854

                        David Clark, April 24, 1854



Page 128


                        Edward Van Demark, May 3, 1854

                        Lyman Sperry, July 5, 1854

                        Edward Van Demark, December 6, 1854


SECTION 13            Henry Kring, May 8, 1854

                        Francis T. Nichols, November 4, 1854

                        Orson Nichols, November 4, 1854

                        William A. Hayes, October 10, 1855


SECTION 14            William Donovan, October 11, 1854

                        Josiah Truesdell, November 8, 1854

                        Emery D. Cook, September 3,1855

                        Rowland Norton, September 29, 1855


SECTION 15.            Joseph A. Daniels, November 8, 1854

                        Rowland Norton, September 29, 1855

                        Harvey P. Hobart, October 18, 1855

                        James Coltson, October 10, 1855

                        Alfred Ives, December 8, 1855


SECTION 18            Archibald Black, November 22, 1854


SECTION 21            William B. Albro, October 17, 1855

                        Philo and Cyrus Gilbert, October 10, 1856


SECTION 22. George Friend, May 15, 1854

                        James P. Demarest, November 8, 1854

                        Joseph Thomson, October 10, 1855

                        James Coltson, October 10, 1855

                        John P. Maxwell, September 20, 1856


SECTION 23.            Frederick Freeman, October 12, 1852

                        David Sumner, October 24, 1852

                        Andrew Tobias, October 24, 1852

                        Lucius H. Waldo, October 25, 1852

                        Samuel Bell, March 6, 1855

                        Samuel Bell, July 7, 1855


SECTION 24.            Aaron Pennell, June 28, 1852

                        Ira Rider, April 10, 1854

                        Henry Kring, May 8, 1854

                        Lyman Corbin, August 5, 1854

                        Lewis K. Van Gieson, August 24, 1854

                        John G. Van Gieson, October 12, 1854

                        Abraham Van Gieson, January 2, 1855

                        Stephen Woodman, December 17, 1855


SECTION 25            Lyman Corbin, August 5, 1854

                        Cyrus Hess, June 18, 1855

                        Daniel Marvin, July 16, 1855

                        Andrew Damond, October 17, 1855

                        Samuel W. Gibson, December 15, 1855


SECTION 26            Charles H. Beach, March 14, 1854

                        Alvin Waldo, October 25, 1854

                        Jacob Woodman, November 27, 1855

                        Samuel McMillen, November 27, 1855

                        Albert Damond, August 13, 1856


SECITON 27            Charles H. Beach, March 14, 1854

                        Jospeh Linton, October 24, 1854

                        Robert Smith, October 24, 1854

                        Cornelius P. Abbott, July 27, 1854

                        Charles D. Cook, September 3, 1855

                        John Orser, October 16, 1855

                        Edmund H. Hazelton, March 26, 1856


SECTION 28            Cornelius D. Abbott, October 27, 1854

                        Henry Mead, October 19, 1855

                        William Partlo, October 16, 1855

                        John Orser, October 16, 1855

                        William H. Stewart, January 19, 1856

                        Samuel S. Weaver, September 25,1856


SECTION 29.            George Pitt, April 26, 1856

                        Benjamin Oakley, May 6, 1857


SECTION 30.            Walter Lambert, August 7, 1854.


SECTION 32            Jacob Bell, October 24, 1854

                        William H. Morey, October 17, 1855

                        Benjamin Oakley, September 25, 1856


SECTION 33.            Ransom Briggs, April 19, 1854

                        Richard Ladow, June 14, 1854

                        Albert Van Voorhies, September 4, 1854

                        Cornelius P. Abbott, October 25, 1854

                        Albert Van Voorhies, November 27, 1854

                        George W. Black, October 23, 1854

                        Henry Mead, October 19, 1855


SECTION 34            Archibald Black, December 7, 1853

                        John McFarland, August 18, 1854

                        Albert Van Vorhies, September 4, 1854

                        Cornelius P. Abbott, October 25, 1854

                        Charles H.Beach, October 28, 1854

                        Charles McDuffee, November 9, 1854

                        Samuel Woodman, November 9, 1854

                        Charles Shannon, November 3, 1855

                        Samuel Woodman, November 17, 1855


SECTION 35            Charles McDuffee, November 9, 1854

                        Francis Pearson, July 6, 1855

                        John Kerr, September 11, 1855

                        John W. Chamberlin, October 30, 1855

                        Isaac Santee, September 1, 1856


SECTION 36            David Marvin, August 26, 1854

                        James M. Adams, November 21, 1854

                        Benjamin Moreland, November 21, 1854

                        William King, June 5, 1855

                        James Pamment, November 3, 1855




SECTION 9.            Abraham Van Demark, August 10, 1858


SECTION 10.            Abraham Van Demark, August 10, 1858


SECTION 16.            P. McMurray, December 1, 1855


SECTION 17            Alanson E. Pierce, July 30, 1858


SECTION 20.            Jacob H. Little, December 29, 1858

                        Alanson E. Pierce, July 30, 1858


SECTION 24            L. S. Stone, February 3, 1859


SECTION 25            Wa-sa-an-a-quet, October 14, 1839

                        Gottlie Layer, September 30, 1852

                        Daniel Marvin, June 5, 1855

                        Abraham Van Demark, August 10, 1858

                        S. A. Baur, March 19, 1859


SECTION 26.            Wa-sa-an-a-guet, October 14, 1839

                        Daniel Marvin, November 5, 1855

                        Daniel S. Marvin, January 15, 1856

                        Jacob Layer, January 15, 1856

                        W. B. Fuller, February 13, 1859


SECTION 29.            Harvey Williams, June 20, 1853


SECTION 30            Harvey Williams, June 20, 1853


SECTION 31            Harvey Williams, June 20, 1853

                        King Allen, October 7, 1856


SECTION 32            Nathan Luce, August 14, 1858


SECTION 34            Daniel S. Marvin, January 15, 1856

                        Daniel S. Marvin, July 11, 1856

                        Albert Luther, December 15, 1856


SECTION 35            Horace C. Rounds, June 5, 1855

                        James T. Kile, July 7, 1855

                        Daniel S. Marvin, January 15, 1856

     It is supposed that the first settler in the township that was formerly Geneva, was Peter Graverott, a Frenchman, who had a squaw for a wife.  He had formerly been an Indian trader in the Saginaw


Page 129


Valley.  They had a large family of children, some of whom are still living where they first settled, on the shore of Saginaw Bay.  In 1853 Gottlieb Layer, his mother, brothers and sisters, settled there.  Then come Daniel Marvin and Hugh Willson.

     The assessed valuation of property in 1860, was $13,500; in 1870, $21,084; in 1875, $21,617.

     In April, 1865, five votes were polled, and in 1875 the number was seventy-five.

     The first town meeting in Geneva was held April 2, 1860, at the house of Gottlieb Layer,  Sixty dollars was voted to be raised for township expenses.

     The following officers were elected:  Supervisor, Lucius Marvin, clerk, Lemuel S. Stone; treasurer, Warren B. Fuller; justices of the peace, Hugh Willson, Benjamin Gardner, Daniel Marvin, Ephraim Briggs; highway commissioners, Daniel S. Marvin, Gottlieb Layer, Charles Anthony; constables, Warren B. Fuller, Charles Anthony, Samuel D. Everett, Jacob Layer; school inspectors, Lucius S. Marvin, Lemuel S. Stone; overseers of the poor, Daniel Marvin, Benjamin Gardner; overseers of highway, Hugh Willson, Daniel S. Marvin.

   Of the original town of Akron about two thirds was wooded land, one-third in the west part of the town being prairie.  Of Geneva about two and one-half sections, in the southeast corner, was wooded, the rest of the township which is fractional being prairie.  The surface is uniformly level, the prairie being low and much of it too wet for cultivation.  It is, however, being gradually reclaimed, the State ditch affording a basis for drainage which is rapidly rendering the lands arable.  The clearing out of Squaw Creek, which crosses the town from southeast to northwest, would undoubtedly  redeem a large extent of low, worthless prairie.  The natural growth of the wooded portion of the town is hickory, elm, beech, maple, basswood and different varieties of oak.

     Speaking of the early days of the town Hugh Willson, who came into Geneva in October 1854, says, that where there are now waving fields of grain he has waded through the water up to his knees.  Nothing can show the rapid redemption of the low lands more than this.



     The first settler in the original town of Akron was undoubtedly Martin W. Cramer, an Indian half-breed.  His entry, which was in the northeast quarter of section 1, was made November 10, 1852.  He, however, sold his place to Samuel B. Covey, shortly after the latter came to the town.  Following him came Edward Van Demark, in July, 1854.  The Coveys, L. Hover, Richard Clark, the Waldos, C. P. Abbott, Charles Beach.

     The first services of the Christian religion were in 1856.  A funeral service was held by Elder Santee, at the house of Frances Hover, and Elder Klump held services at the house of Robert  Kile.  At the latter the three families who composed the congregation, filled the house.  This latter service was in December, 1856.  In the following winter a protracted meeting was held and a class of the Methodist Episcopal Church formed.

     At the first town meeting in Akron which was held at the time and place designated, Edward Van Demark was chosen moderator and Lucius H. Waldo, clerk; C. H. Beach and James P. Demarest, inspectors. Alvin Waldo was chosen overseer of highways.  Fifty dollars was voted for contingent expenses.  The whole number of votes cast was twenty. The following were elected, viz.:  Supervisor, Edward Van Demark, receiving twenty votes; treasurer, C. P. Abbott, receiving twenty votes; clerk, L. H. Waldo, receiving twenty votes; school inspector for one year, J. Covey, receiving seventeen votes, three being for S. Merrill; inspector for two years, James P. Demarest, receiving twenty votes; overseers of the poor, S. Merrill, receiving seventeen votes, and T. F. Nicholson, receiving nineteen; commissioners of highways.  John Nicholson, C. Brown and Charles H. Beach, each receiving twenty votes.  Ransom Briggs and T. F. Nicholson were elected constables, the former receiving eighteen and the latter twenty votes.  Archibald Black, James P. Demarest, Cornelius P. Abbott and Richard Clark were elected justices of the peace.

            The number of farms in Akron in 1881 was 202; acres of improved land, 4,475.  There were raised in 1880, 19,422 bushels of wheat, 31,575 bushels of corn, 861 tons of hay.



     This village, lying in th southern part of the town on its southern line, is but little more than a year old, dating from its first business enterprise.  It is a result of the new railroad, the Saginaw, Tuscola & Huron.  In the spring of 1882 G. W. Crane selected this as a desirable point for trade and built a store on the Fair Grove side of the line.  Since then have been added Simmons & Young’s store, J. A. Liken & Co’s lumber and stave bolt mill, Charles Dowker’s saw-mill, the cheese box factory of Mallory & Timber is being framed for a blacksmith and wagon shop.  The village was platted in 1882 by Samuel Lynn.

     Akron postoffice was first established at the house of Samuel B. Covey in section 1, with Mr. Covey as postmaster.  The first year of the war it was moved to the house of Lucius Waldo, about seven miles southwest of Unionville, who was appointed postmaster.  In the fall of 1882 it was moved to Akron village, or Beach’s Corners, with George Simmons as postmaster.



    According to the report of the school inspector for the year ending September 4, 1882, there were six whole and four fractional school districts in Akron.  Names of directors for the ensuing year:  George W. Smith, Samuel Bell, Delos Mead, Myron H. Vaughn, John McLaren, H. King, Arnold McCoy, D. W. Leonard, Alfred Petit, Josiah Bell.  Number of school children in the town, 578; number that attended school during the year, 455.  There are in the town ten frame and one log school-houses.




YEAR            SUREVISOR        CLERK                       TREASURER              COMMISSIONER


1883     Samuel Bell           John L. Evans            C. Knickerbocker            John L. Smith

1882     Samuel Bell           John L. Evans            F. Achenbach                   Curtis Luther

1881     Samuel Bell          George J. Dart            F. Achenbach                   J. Westphal

1880     S. W. Hubbell        John L. Evans                 C. Knickerbocker            R. Waldo

1879     S. W. Hubbell      R. W. Durkee            C. Knickerbocker            John L. Smith

1878     S. W. Hubbell      R. W. Durkee            John Nicholson                      L. Phelps

1877     William Dolph       R. W. Durkee            John Nicholson                      John L. Smith

1876     John Staley, Jr.       R. W. Durkee            John Nicholson                      Geo. S. Clark

1875     John Staley, Jr.     R. W. Durkee                    John Nicholson                      Geo. S. Clark

1874     John Staley, Jr.    George J. Dart              John Nicholson                      John Smith

1873     John Staley, Jr.     Wm. B. Waldo            John Nicholson                      C. Marvin

1872     John Staley, Jr.     Wm. B. Waldo            John Nicholson                      Geo. S. Clark

1871     Wm. E. Dolph        W. H. Covey                      John Nicholson                      L. Phelps

1870     Wm. E. Dolph        Eli Woodman            John Nicholson                      E. A. May

1869     W. H. Covey        Eli Woodman            John Nicholson                      Jos. Holland

1868     Wm. E. Dolph       D. W. Leonard            Wm. B. Waldo               Francis Hover

1867     Wm. E. Dolph        D. W. Leonard            John Nicholson                      E. A. May

1866     James P. Demarest  L. H. Waldo                      John Nicholson                      Jos. Holland

1865     James P. Demarest   L. H. Hudson            John Nicholson                      Francis Hover

                                                                                                            Enos Oakley

1864     James P. Demarest   L. H. Hudson            John Nicholson                      E. A. Cook

1863     James P. Demarest   L. H., Hudson            John Nicholson                      Milo Randall

                                                                                                            John G. Bick

1862     James P. Demarest   J. G. Vangieser John Nicholson              Enos Oakley

                                                                                                            J. G. Vangiesen

1861     James P. Demarest   James P. Demarest            S.B. Covey               Francis Hover

                                                                                                            G. Merry

1860     Wm. B. Waldo           James P. Demarest            S. B. Covey                  Albert Luther

1859     Edward Van Demark            James P. Demarest  C. P. Abbott             W. Woodman

1858     Edward Van Demark            L. H. Waldo   C. P. Abbott              J. Woodman

1857     Edward Van Demark            Wm. B. Waldo   C. P. Abbott              J. Nicholson

1856     Edward Van Demark            L. H. Waldo   C. P. Abbott              J. Nicholson

                                                                                                            C. Brown

                                                                                                            C. H. Beach




     Charles H. Beach, farmer, was born in Genesee County, N. Y., July 3, 1827.  He came with his parents to Washtenaw County, Mich., in his childhood.  From there they removed to Branch


Page 130


County, where his father, Samuel Beach, was a pioneer settler.  In this county he spent his youth and early manhood engaged chiefly in agriculture.  On June 3, 1853, he was married to Miss Martha Bryant, also of Branch County.  She was born in Russell, Ohio, December 5, 1833.  They have nine children, Elva E., Adella A., Elmor H., Alice I., Elizabeth E., Orena E., Nelson C., Charles Milan and Carrie P.  They came to Akron, Tuscola County, in March, 1854, and were the first family to settle in that township, which of course was then an unbroken wilderness, and had as yet no municipal organization.  From Tuscola village onward toward their place the road was a mere trail among the trees.  They erected a log dwelling 16x20 feet outside, roofed it with shakes and floored it with puncheons, and made window casings form the pieces of a dry goods box.  He bought a door of another shanty from a settler, but for some time they needed this for a table and used a blanket for a door.  One neighbor, in order to knock at the blanket door, brought a chip in his hand on which to rap.  They cleared eight acres the first season and sowed five with wheat.  Soon, however, they sold this their first forest home and bought  in section 34, where they now reside.  They now have forty-five under cultivation, with an excellent fruit-bearing orchard and good buildings, constituting for them an inviting home.  The first barrel of flour he bought and brought into Akron cost him $11 and nearly four days’ work with the team bringing it home, and through a part of one swamp he had to hoist it end over end by hand for a long distance, the oxen being done out with fatigue.  Mr. Beach served as clerk in the organizing of the township.  When he first served as clerk in the organizing of the township, but evaded office almost as soon as others could be found to serve.  The church of their choice is the Methodist Episcopal Church.


     THE PLAGUE OF MICE.—The first season that Mr. And Mrs. Beach lived in Akron they were almost overrun with mice.  They devoured their garden beans, and ate their tallow candles, and gnawed hole after hole in the solid hardwood head of the flour barrel; and when they suspended their candles from the peak of the roof in the house by a small cord some of these invaders followed by this to the candles.  They once poured twenty-one dead mice from a gallon jug of molasses, out of which the cork had been eaten by them, and one live one ran dripping away.  Mrs. Beach caught fourteen live ones in a bowl of meal with a pair of fire tongs.  One man caught seventy mice in one evening in a dead fall.  Numbers of them were found drowned in crocks of preserves, others nesting in satchels and muffs, and others swimming in pans of milk and others creeping into every available place of refuge and sustenance.


     WESTLEY HOVER, farmer, was born in Candor, N.Y., February 8, 1844.  He came with his parents to Akron, Mich., in September 1856.  They settled in section 11, where Mr. Hover now resides and he spent his youth mostly in improving their pioneer home and its surroundings.  Later, however, he worked as a carpenter and joiner in Bay City and elsewhere.  He and Miss Melissa Streeter, of Akron, were married May 17, 1863.  She was born in Oakland County, Mich., April 14, 1845.  They have had six children:  Hattie, Gertrude, Loren, Bertha (deceased), Ernest and Chloe.  Mr. Hover has in his farm home eighty acres of land with sixty under cultivation.  He has apples, pears, plums, cherries and other small fruits, a commodious dwelling and other buildings, and is about to make still further additions, thus increasing the conveniences of their already pleasant home.


     JOHN NICHOLSON, farmer, was born in England, August 2, 1819.  He came to New York June 2, 1844, and thence to Detroit, Mich., where he remained some six years.  Later he spent five years in Ann Arbor, engaged in farming.  He came to Akron, Tuscola County, Mich., October 26, 1855, and with his brother, Thomas Nicholson, settled on 160 acres of land which they had bought in 1853, in section 12.  The only road then in the region was a winding trail among the trees of the forest, since known as the Watrousville and Sebewaing road.  They at once began clearing the broad acres of their unbroken forest, and now, where then the lofty trees waved in their brushy grandeur, they have fertile fields and fruitful orchards, and where the mighty hoot of the owl once greeted their ears, they now listen to the shrill hoot of the railway whistle in the evening hour.  The two brothers have lived and worked together ever since they came to the place, and hold their estate in undivided title, and have elegant farm buildings and an inviting home.  Mr. J. Nicholson’s marriage was to Miss Jane M. Wade, of Crawford County, Penn., who now shares with him the rewards of their former toils and encounters.  Mr. Thomas Nicholson lost his partner, Mrs. Jane Nicholson, by death, in 1868, but endures his loss with hope that by and by they shall meet where parting shall be no more.


     EMERY D. COOK, farmer and dealer in real estate, farming implements and machinery, was born in Cattaraugus County, N.Y., January 21, 1835.  He was bereaved of his father at the age of fourteen years, and three years later he came to Oakland County, Mich., and spent some two years in farming enterprise.  He went thence to Saginaw County and entered the employ of John A. Westerfelt, Esq., at $14 per month.  He remained there until nearly of age, and accumulated in all some $700.  In 1855 he bought 240 acres of land in Akron, in section 14 and 21, and soon after returned to his native place, spent over three years, chiefly in lumbering, and accumulated about $1,000, which was nearly all lost in the panic of 1856.  After this he returned and paid his land tax in Akron, but had only $3 left.  He next engaged in stock raising and continued the enterprise for several years with good success.  On January 14, 1860, he was married by B. W. Huston, Esquire, of Vassar, to Miss Jennie E. Waldo, of Akron.  She was born in Genessee County, N. Y., February 26, 1838.  She came with her parents from Bainbridge, Ohio, to Akron in 1856.  The first township meeting held in Akron was held at the residence of her father, Mr. Alvin Waldo, and she selected the name for the township.  Shortly after Miss Waldo taught one of the first three schools in the township.

     Mr. And Mrs. Cook have had six children.  Emery and Freddie are deceased.  Emery was the first person buried in the Akron cemetery.  The living children are Wilbert, Lucius, Ada and Carrie.  Later Mr. Cook sold his Akron estate and made a tour in the west but soon returned, and bought eighty acres of land in section 31, Columbia, at $1,600, and resided there until the winter of 1883, when he sold that property for $3,200, and bought 440 acres in Akron.  On one occasion Mr. Cook started to take four bushels of corn to mill and one ox gave out when yet six miles form the mill.  Mr. Cook left him with a settler, and he and the other ox drew the grist to the mill, which he found broken.  He waited one week for his grist and earned five bushels of oats, which, with the grist and some seed corn, he and the ox drew back the six miles to where the other ox had been left.  Mr. Cook has been six years highway commissioner, and justice of the peace twenty-one years, and has never had an official judgment reversed by the higher courts.


     CHARLES D. COOK, farmer, was born in Orleans County, N. Y., February 22, 1830.  He was reared and educated in his native State, and came to Eaton County, Mich., in the spring of 1852.  He had been married to Miss Lucinda J. Ferren, also of Orleans, on May


Page 131


6, 1850.  On September 19, 1853, Mr. Cook was bereaved of his beloved wife, and eleven days later he lost an infant son.  Shortly after this he returned to his native place, and on November 12, 1854, he and Miss Philena Hammond, also of Orleans, were united in marriage.  She was born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., May 6, 1833.  He has now two children, Philena J. (now Mrs. George W. Davis) and Charles R., also two adopted children, Lettie (now Mrs. A. Loucks), and Frankie M. In November, 1854, Mr. And Mrs. Cook came to Oakland County, Mich., and about one year later they settled in section 27, in Akron, where he had bought eighty acres of land on which they still reside.  His land was 50 cents per acre.  There was then no township organization, and they had to underbrush a trail some distance among the trees to reach their chosen spot. Mrs. Cook remained five miles from their place while he made a small opening in the woods and prepared a dwelling, then she came and joined her husband in the pioneer experience of those early days.  Their nearest postoffice was Vassar; but the waving forest has disappeared, and they have in their farm home 120 acres of land, with eighty acres improved, and with ample supplies of large and small fruits and inviting home comforts.  Mr. Cook also owns eighty acres of other lands, and property in Caro and at Akron Station.  In August, 1862, he enlisted in the Twenty-third Michigan Infantry, Company D, and in a few months received a personal injury and was honorably discharged and returned home.  Some time after he recovered, and again enlisted in the twenty-ninth Michigan Infantry, Company A, and served until liberty and the Union triumphed over slavery and rebellion.  Religiously Mr. Cook belongs to the Seventh Day Adventist Church.  Politically he is a straight Republican.


   HENRY H. GILBERT, farmer was born in Genesee County, Mich., August 12, 1842.  He was bereaved of his father at the age of ten years.  In 1855 he went west to Illinois, and remained there until the outbreak of the late rebellion.  On September 12,1861, he enlisted in the Sixty-sixth Illinois Infantry, Company C, and served his country until discharged January 24, 1864, by reason of general disability. His first engagement was in the midst of darkness.  When marching to meet a band of guerrillas the advance scouts suddenly turned and came dashing back.  As the scouts passed the lines, a general fire was ordered, and was followed by a most fearful braying from a herd of peaceable farm mules without any riders, over 100 of which in the morning were found dead or disabled in the road where they had met with the and followed the horses of the advance scouts.  Mr. Gilbert fought at Fort Henry, Fort Donalson, Shiloh, Corinth, Iuka, Holly Springs, second battle of Corinth and Vicksburg, and other minor engagements. He received three sabre thrusts and five gunshot wounds; the severest of which was received while on picket duty.  Thirty-three buckshots and a mass of fine shot were afterward taken from his person, and one buckshot still remains, having been for twenty years firmly lodged in the rear part of the head a little below the skin.  On being discharged he returned to Livingston County, Mich., and on March 14, 1865, he was married to Miss Lois Carr, of the same county.  They had three sons, one of whom is dead. Those living are Birtzell H. and Alfred C.  They settled in Wisner in November, 1867, and prepared them a pioneer home on the prairie.  The country was wet and without roads or conveniences for transportation, except by boats or canoes.  On April 1, 1873, Mrs. Gilbert died of bronchial affection.  Mr. Gilbert’s second marriage was to Miss Emma Leonard, of Geneva, December 25, 1874.  They have one son, Levi Leonard.  In 1882 Mr. Gilbert sold his Wisner estate, of eighty acres, for $3,000, and has now a farm of twenty acres in Akron, formerly Geneva, which will be their future home.  Mr. Gilbert has been postmaster in Wisner seven years and supervisor six years.  He belongs to the Northern Star Lodge of F. & A. M., and he and Mrs. Gilbert are members of the regular Baptist Church.


     ALBERT L. HEMSTREET, farmer, son of Daniel and Rosina Hemstreet, was born in Will County, Ill., May 22, 1845.  He with his parents removed to Pennsylvania when seven years of age, and ten years later they came to Tuscola County, Mich., and settled in section 4 in Akron.  They at once engaged in preparing them a pioneer home.  There were then six children in the family, Albert, Harriet (now deceased), Delia, Calvin, Sarah and Lura.  Grant, the youngest son, was born in Akron.  They came by way of Saginaw, and arrived at their place on February 10, 1863.  They then had 120 acres of land, mostly prairie, to which they have added forty more.  Most of the surface when they came was a sheet of ice.  They attempted to bring in one cow, but she fell on the ice and could not possibly recover her standing position; had to be drawn by hand to a land surface, gotten on her feet and left two weks,m until the ice left the surface of the prairie,   In those pioneer days Mr. Henstreet’s sister fell sick of typhoid fever.  No good physician could be obtained.  She died, and no minister could be secured to preach a funeral sermon, and her remains were laid in the earth without funeral obsequies.  Now, however, they have sixty acres under improvement, a good dwelling and other farm buildings, and an inviting home.  Mrs. Hemstreet, the mother, is a member of the church of the United Bretheren in Christ.  Mr. Hemstreet has been five years a school accessor in his district.  The father, Mr. Daniel Hemstreet, was a Methodist Episcopal exhorter, and was the first to hold stated religious meetings in the neighborhood.  He was the first to move in the organization of the school district, and he was a leading person in the other improvements in the place, in Sabbath-school and for social good.  He died of paralysis October 8, 1874, beloved and regretted by all around him.


     AARON BRODERICK, blacksmith, was born in Canada, November 17, 1856.  He spent his youth in his native country, and learned his trade there.  In March, 1881, he came to Akron, Mich.  For a short time he worked by the month at his trade.  Later he rented a shop and opened business, and has since bought the shop for his own use.  He has also purchased a beautiful situation at Akron Station, and has now a pleasant dwelling and an increasing custom, requiring already hired help to accomplish the work demanded.  On November 22, 1882, he was married to Miss Hattie Hover, of Akron.  Their inviting home is situated immediately in view of the station, and adjacent to the business blocks of the rising village.