Saginaw County Michigan

St. Charles

  St. Charles Township Office
1003 N,. Saginaw St.
St. Charles, MI  48655

History    Web Links    Cemeteries    Places


ST. CHARLES. (1860 Online Listing offsite) 
A post village of Saginaw county situated on the Bad River, at the head of steamboat navigation, 16 miles south-west from Saginaw City, and 103 north-west from Detroit. It is situated on low ground, in the midst of a heavily timbered country. The village contains one large steam saw mill, capable of cutting 3,000,000 feet of lumber per season, four stores, two hotels, two churches, a good school, and the usual number of trades and professions. Population, 500. A steamer plies daily between this point and East Saginaw, touching at Saginaw City.
Entry from: Michigan state gazetteer and business directory for 1863/1864, embracing historical and descriptive sketches of all the cities, towns and villages throughout the state.

Fergus - In 1882 this small village had a railroad station and post office. 

Luce - Small settlement with post office in 1890.  

Back To Top



1881 Saginaw County History - entry for St. Charles Township. This section contains history of the pioneers, people who held office, first landowner list and biographies, etc.


 Carolyn's Saginaw Images Site

St. Charles Cemetery
Book 3 - St. Charles Cemetery published 1982
A transcription is also at the Library of Michigan in Lansing, Michigan
St. Charles Cemetery records, St. Charles, Michigan / edited by Fred Pike.(1980)

Riverside Cemetery 
Located on 15 acres of Section 7. The cemetery is owned by the township and records are held at the township clerk's office.

St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery 
Located on 7 acres of Section 5 on Spruce Street in St. Charles. The cemetery is owned by St. Mary Catholic Church and records are held at the parish office, 5661 Fergus Rd., St Charles 48655-9624, Phone: (989) 770-4453. The church was established in 1878.

Indiantown Cemetery 
Located on a sandy ridge of Section 23 north of Fergus Road and west of Turner Road. Burials at this site were investigated in 1962 and were found to be wooden boxes nailed with square cut nails. Evidence of a wool blanket was found in one case. A ten inch stone crudely cut with "N. Brown, Nov. 14, 1841" was found at this site.

*William Sanderson, a Civil War veteran, reportedly died at the age of 33 from a wound sustained during battle. He was buried in the front lawn of his homestead on the east side of M-52 north of Brant Road.

This information compiled about the cemeteries of Saginaw County was taken from a number of resources by the previous county coordinators. Some of this information was compiled by the individual township supervisors of the county in the late 1960's and provided to us by Patrick Bohinski. 

Saginaw MIGenWeb Entries

Back To Top

  Web Links

St. Charles Village - website

Back To Top

Click here to go back

  Saginaw Site Index


This server space is provided by Michigan Family History Network genealogical server space.
Copyright © 2004-2013 all rights reserved of html coding and graphics by .  Volunteers hold copyright to the material they have donated for this site.  Not to be copied and used in any format to any other site or in any other media.