OLD COLEMAN CEMETERY (UNKNOWN CEMETERY), COLEMAN, MICHIGAN
UNKNOWN CEMETARY (Old Coleman Cemetery).
Section 20, Coleman, Michigan. The cemetery was located off what was called Old US 10 Highway. When the state proposed to build Saginaw Road in 1931 the cemetery was in the center. The stones and remains were moved to a corner of the Warren Township Cemetery with the exception of three or four graves which were outside the land needed for the road. Ken Cozat, 70, a lifetime resident of Coleman remembers seeing these stones as a child growing up in Coleman. These graves remained there until Coleman built a high school near this location in the late 1950's. The graves were near a large oak tree which still sits today at the edge of the school playground along Railway Street (Old US 10). These remains were not relocated to the Warren Township Cemetery but were moved to the Thumb area of Michigan to be re-buried with family located there. This information was provided by Hazel Moyer, 84, of Coleman. Mrs. Moyer's husband George was the sexton of the Warren Township Cemetery from 1952 until his death in 1980, at that time Mrs. Moyer became sexton until she retired. Mrs. Moyer says one of those moved to the Thumb was Luella Clark.
Copyright © 2000 Margaret
© 2004 all rights reserved of html coding, and graphics by Donna Hoff-Grambau.
Volunteers hold copyright to the material they have donated for this site. Not to be copied and used in any format to any other site or in any other media.
THIS SITE IS PART OF THE MIGENWEB PROJECT
MIGenWeb Official Notices and Disclaimer
This server space page is provided by Michigan Family History Network genealogical server.