(nsp = newspaper date)




May 15, 1929


Mrs. Daniel Moats, who was Anna Elizabeth Ellenberger, was born at Plattsburg, Missouri, February 7, 1877 and died at Shepherd, Michigan, May 15, 1929, at the age of 52 years.

She was united in marriage to Daneil Arthur Moats on December 18, 1898.  To this union were born four daughters and one son:  Mrs. George Macey of Detroit,  Leighton of Ypsilanti;  Evelyn, Lois, and Ida Grace who are at home.

On May 2nd of this year, after about five years of ill health, she suffered a stroke of apoplexy, and on May 15th, she fell into a peaceful sleep, never to awaken.

Mrs. Moats very early in life united with the Brethren church with which she was affiliated until the time of her death.  Her's was a consistent Christian life, full of love and devotion and devout faith.  She was active in church and Sunday School work, and retained her keen interest in both even when ill health rendered her inactive.

The funeral services conducted by Rev. Boomershine of the Brethren church were held from the Shepherd M. E. church on Saturday, May 18th, at 2 p.m.

Interment was made in Salt River Cemetery at Shepherd.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



May 21, 1929  (nsp)


Helen Agnes Foster, infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ray Foster, departed this life on May 17, 1929, at the age of five months and four days.

She is survived by her mother, father, one brother, Joseph;  three sisters, Lucretia, Mary Ellen, and Alberta Rae;  also two grandmothers, Mrs. Nellie Hardgrove of Lansing and Mrs. Bertha Foster of Broomfield, and numerous other relatives who mourn her loss.

Funeral services were held at the house Sunday, with burial in Riverside cemetery.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



Mrs. Rachel Kimberling Taken to Indiana for Burial

Beside Husband

April 25, 1929  (nsp)


The remains of Mrs. Rachel Kimberling were laid to rest Friday afternoon in Rowe Cemetery in Elkhart, Indiana, by the side of her husband who passed away in 1912.  The funeral service was held from the home of an old friend of the deceased, Mrs. Nora Cressler.

Many old friends were in attendance.  Among the relatives present were Mr. and Mrs. Nelson J. Kimberling from Chicago;  Rev. Mark Wall officiated at the services.   He was accompanied to Elkhart by Mrs. I. W. Kimberling, Mrs. Charlotte Smith and daughter, Marie.  They returned to St. Louis Saturday evening.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



May 30, 1929  (nsp)


Mary Elnora, daughter of Jesse and Eliza Hutchinson, was born in Wayne Co., Ohio, January 21, 1853, and died at her home in this village at the age of 76 years, 3 months, and 28 days.

She was married to George H. Freeman at Salt River corners on December 24, 1871, he having preceded her in death, April 24, 1927.

To this union were born eight children, six sons and two daughters, Franklin dieing at the age of nine months.

Those left to mourn their loss are:  Bert Freeman of Sarasota, FL,  Etta Wing of Shepherd,  Olive Pasner of Mt. Pleasant,  Elmer and Milo Freeman of Shepherd,  Howard Freeman of Detroit, and John Freeman of Alma.

Besides these there are 24 grandchildren, 3 great grandchildren; two sisters, one brother and several nephews and nieces.  Five grandchildren are dead.

She was a devoted wife, a loving mother and a fine neighbor.

Funeral services were held at her late home on Wednesday of last week.

Interment was made in Salt River Cemetery.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



February 28, 1929


Maralda J. Braden, oldest daughter of John K. and Nancy Braden, was born in Weitley Co., Indiana, on July 21, 1861.  She was married to Simon L. Grace January 25, 1882, who, with their three children are left to mourn the loss of a loyal, wise and devoted mother.  Of the six children born to this union, three are now living:  Elsie M., at home;  Elven M. of Wells Co., Indiana, and earl H. of Mt. Pleasant, MI.  Three boys have preceded their mother, Ebor J. having given his life in the service of his country over seas.  She also leaves to mourn their loss, one sister, Mrs. Chas John of Roanoke, Indiana, 11 grandchildren and a host of neighbors and friends.

In 1909 the family moved to Michigan and about seven years ago settled four and a quarter miles northeast of Shepherd.

Mrs. Grace has been in poor health for about five years, but since their auto accident last fall has been steadily failing.  She passed away Thursday, Feb. 28, 1929, aged 67 yrs., 7 mos., and 7 days.

Mrs. Grace united with the Saturn, Indiana Christian church when a girl of fourteen years, and has lived a consistent Christian life.

Funeral services were held at the Shepherd Christian church Sunday afternoon with Rev. M. C. Vanneter officiating.  Interment was in Alma Cemetery.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         


April 2, 1929


Mrs. Eunitah Hudnut, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Stephen Hudnut, was born in Union twp., Isabella Co., MI, July 28, 1897 and departed this life April 2, 1929 at the age of thirty-two years.

On August 1, 1916 she was married to Roger Gulick to whom she has been a faithful and loving wife during these years.  To them were born four children:  Dawn, Lorraine, Joseph and Ione, all of whom, with their father, her father, two brothers - William and Stanley, one sister, Mrs. Maude Humenorder, other relatives and a host of friends mourn their loss.

Mrs. Gulick sought and found her Savior in peace and joy to her soul while on her sick bed, and while she greatly desired to get well, she felt it was well with her soul if she had to go.  She was always of a very cheerful and loving disposition.

The funeral services were held at the Christian church in Shepherd, conducted by Rev. Daniel Skanes of the Mt. Pleasant F. M. Church.  Interment was made in Shepherd cemetery.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *




Mrs. Eli Whitmore Goes to Last Rest:

Funeral at Local Methodist Church

February 28, 1929 (nsp)


Mrs. Eli Whitmore passed away at her home on North Pine St. about eight o'clock Monday morning at the age of nearly 64 years.

Margaret Jane Harry was born in Crawford Co., PA, and was united in marriage to Eli Whitmore     47 years ago the 4th of Feb.  Mr. and Mrs. Whitmore moved to St. Louis about five years ago but were old residents in Gratiot county having lived in Pleasant Valley about 36 years.

Mrs. Whitmore had been ill only a few days and her death was unexpected.

Besides the husband, she leaves three daughters;  Mrs. Birley Aitkens of Alymer, Ontario;  Mrs. Earl Huntoon of Wheeler and Mrs. Wyatt Graham, who with her family lived with her parents.  She also leaves sixteen grandchildren; two sisters, Mrs. Miles Lathrop of Shepherd and Mrs. Vern Allen of Portland, Oregon; two brothers William Harry of Vestaburg and Matt Harry of Mesick.

Mrs. Whitmore was a very lovable woman, a kind neighbor and friend and there are many who sympathize with the family in their loss.

The funeral will be held at the Methodist church with Rev. Birdsall officiating and burial will be in Shepherd cemetery.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *



Aged Civil War Veteran Passes Away

On Sunday at Age 86 Years

September 1, 1929


Gratiot county lost one of her Civil War veterans on Sunday when Eli Whitmore passed away in the Graham home at Breckenridge.  The family lived in St. Louis for some time and were well known there.

Eli Whitmore was born in Clarion Co., PA May 8, 1843.  He joined the Union Army in 1862 and was honorably discharged in May 1865.  Mr. Whitmore came to Salt River in the spring of 1866.  He was married February 14, 1881 to Margaret Jane Harry.  To them were born three children:  Mrs. Mina Aitken of Aylmer, Ontario;  Mrs. Grace Huntoon of Wheeler, and Mrs. Glenna Graham of Breckenridge.

Death came September 1, 1929, at the age of 86 years, 3 months and 23 days.  He lived for several years with his daughter, Mrs. Graham, in St. Louis, and moved with them last spring to Breckenridge.

Funeral services were conducted Tuesday afternoon by Rev. R. V. Birdsall of St. Louis at the home in Breckenridge, and interment took place in Shepherd cemetery by the side of his wife, who passed away last February.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



June 12, 1929


The community was shocked to hear of the sudden death of Mrs. Minnie L. Doane at her home on South Main Street, Wednesday, June 12th.

Minnie L. Mey was born at Forest Hill, August 28, 1859, and was united in marriage to John W. Doane April 3, 1881.  To this union was born one son, who preceded her in death January 23, 1915.

Mr. and Mrs. Doane came to Mt. Pleasant in 1907, where Mrs. Doane entered into the social order of this city.  She was a member of the Woman's Club, the Guild of St. John's Episcopal Church, the Easter Star in Mt. Pleasant and also the St. Alma White Shrine in Alma.

She leaves to mourn her departure, one granddaughter, Dora Marguerite Doane; a brother, Otto F. Mey of Burns, Oregon; a niece, Mrs. Thomas Brewer of St. Louis, and a nephew, Cecil Mey of Lansing.

The funeral services were held from the home Friday afternoon and interment was made in Riverside cemetery at Alma.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         




Seville Supervisor Succumbs to Apoplexy

in Home at Riverdale

August 8, 1929  (nsp)


The sudden death of Charles Going, prominent Gratiot man, which occurred last Sunday, came as an unexpected shock to his relatives and friends.

Mr. Going was sixty-three years old and had been in his usual health until Friday night when he was stricken by apoplexy and failed to regain consciousness.  The deceased was widely known in this part of the state and was supervisor of Seville township at the time of his death.  Until a short time ago he owned and operated a barber shop which he sold to Roy Eiskin.  During the latter's vacation last week he had looked after the business for him and was his usual genial self.

Mr. Going was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Whig Going who were well known pioneer residents of St. Louis.  He is survived by his widow, two daughters, Mrs. Claud Wiley near Elwell and Mrs. Velma Ringle of Flint, and two sons, Dr. Leo Going of Detroit and Clare Going of Riverdale.  There are also several grandchildren.

The funeral was held from the family home on Tuesday afternoon.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



July 26, 1929


Jacob Kratz was born in Milton township, Wayne Co., Ohio February 7, 1855, and died at his home on College Ave. Friday night, July 26, 1929, at the age of 74 years.

Mr. Kratz was one of the early pioneers of this county, his farm being one of the virgin timber when he settled on it.

He was married to Miss Cecil Kindig of Seville, Ohio.  Two years after they were married they came to Michigan and settled on a farm near Shepherd, where they lived until eleven years ago, when they moved to the home on South College Ave.

He is survived by his wife, a daughter, Mrs. Anna Kellogg of the Chaddock Boys' School at Quincy, Ill;  a son, Harvey D. of Clare, and two granddaughters, Mrs. R. G. Straigh of Grand Rapids and Vera Kratz of Clare, both daughters of Harvey Kratz.

Out of town relatives who came to attend the funeral were:  Mr. and Mrs. A. D. Blough of Wadsworth, OH;  Mrs. G. A. Starn of Wooster, OH;  R. K. Steiner of Rittman, OH; and Kenneth Kratz of Muskegon, OH (?), all of whom were nieces and nephews of Mr. Kratz;  Mrs. Harley Kindig of Seville, OH and Mrs. J. M. Crawford, who are sisters of Mrs. Kratz, and Mr. and Mrs. R. G. Straight of Grand Rapids, Mrs. Straight formerly being Ruth Kratz of Clare;  Prof. Lee G. Kratz of Omaha, Neb,  a brother of the deceased, arrived Sunday night and will remain for a short stay at the home.

Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon from the home, with burial at Salt River cemetery.  Rev. Reusch officiated and the Salt River Masonic order took charge of the services at the grave.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



Respected Citizen Answers to Sudden

Summons Thursday Forenoon

August 29, 1929


This community received a shock last Thursday about the noon hour when the report was circulated that Charles Tibbils had dropped dead while employed on the carpenter work for the new home being built on the Lewis Lyons home about three miles north of the Stump Corners.

Mrs. Elmer Freeman had been talking to Mr. Tibbils but a short time before his dead body was found by Mr. Lyons and he was apparently as well as usual and seemed in good spirits.  His body lay beside his saw and the board upon which he had been working, and he had evidently been stricken without a moments warning and without a struggle.

Mr. Tibbils had been a resident of Shepherd for nearly fifty years and was respected by everyone for his honesty of purpose and industrious habits.


On June the 7th, 1869, a little ray of sunshine entered the home of Charles Henry and Martha Tibbils of Kalamazoo, Michigan, to be known on his earthly passage as Charles Cliffton Tibbils.

At the age of 12 years, he came, with his father, to Salt river, there to reside during the future years.

At the age of 21, he was united in marriage to Anna M. Wonch and from that time he fulfilled the Biblical words:  "He aid what his hands found to do."

At the age of 60 years, 2 months and 15 days he left to mourn his sudden departure, a loving wife, Anna M., a son, Norval of Clare;  five daughters, Alta Alberta, Retha Adelia, Jennie Mae, Mrs. Emily Davis of Lansing, and Mrs. Winifred Doran of Cincinnati, Ohio; one sister, besides three grandsons and a host of friends and relatives.

The funeral was held from his late home on Sunday afternoon, Rev. E. Mayhew officiating, with burial in the Salt River cemetery.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         




Robert Boyer, 92 and Fred Bonsall, 72,

Both Die During Day

(This article lists Fred Bonsall, but there is no information on him

in this article).

June 7, 1929


After an illness extending over a period of five months, Robert Boyer died Thursday afternoon at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Roy Kennedy of 500 South Fancher Ave., where he had made his home since the death of his wife three years ago.  He was 92 years old at the time of his death.

Mr. Boyer was taken ill last November, his condition slowly becoming more serious.  In March he was removed to Brondstetter hospital where one of his legs was amputated.  He was only temporarily relieved by the operation, and was confined to his bed at his daughter's home until the gradual weakening ended in his death Thursday.

Coming to Michigan in 1867, Mr. Boyer moved to Isabella County in 1890, and has been a resident here for almost 40 years.  Previous to taking his residence with his daughter, he lived in Blanchard and later in Shepherd.

Funeral services for Mr. Boyer will be held Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the home of Mrs. Kennedy.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



April 3, 1929


Edward Harris Doty was born in Connis, Calhoun County, MI in 1858 and departed this life April 3, 1929 at the age of 70 years, 10 months and 18 days.

In 1878 he was united in marriage to Viola Estella Lee.  Six children were born to this union, two of whom preceded him in death.  Their married life was spent in Clinton County until 1908 when they moved to Isabella Co., where his death occurred.

Besides his widow he is survived by two sons:  Merle of Long Beach, California and Nelson of Isabella County;  two daughters, Mrs. Essie Allen of Clinton Co., and Mrs. Helen Fairchild of Isabella Co., and nine grandchildren and a host of other relatives and friends.

Short services were held at the late home conducted by Rev. Mullet, then the body was taken to Mecosta, Clinton Co., where funeral services were held in the M. E. church.  Interment was made in the Mecosta cemetery.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         


July 1, 1929


Desdemona Jane Crawford was born in Putman co., Pendleton, Ohio, on January 9, 1856 and departed this life at St. Mary's hospital, Saginaw July 1, 1929, at the age of 73 years, 5 months, and 22 days.

In 1874 she was united in marriage  to Edward Blakesley.  To this union was born nine children, six of whom are left to mourn her loss.  In 1877 she moved to Michigan.  She is survived by four daughters and two sons, one sister, three brothers, sixteen grandchildren, a number of nieces and nephews and a host of friends.

Relatives from out of town who attended the funeral of Mrs. Blakesley were a brother, Tom Crawford of Milwaukee, a niece Miss Joyce Crawford of Milwaukee, a daughter, Mrs. Grace DeRushia of Ann Arbor and Mrs. Kathryn DeRushia of of this article is missing.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



January 10, 1929


Funeral services for Miss Marian Walker of Howell, who died at her home there Friday, were held Sunday afternoon at the residence on E. Lake Street.  Interment was made in the Riddle cemetery in Osceola twp.

She is survived by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. M. E. Walker; one brother, Vern Walker of East Lansing, and one sister, Mrs. Blanche Murtha of Howell.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



January 8, 1929


Mrs. Elle Andress of South Franklin St. has just  the news of the death of her daughter-in-law, Mrs. Olney Andress of Midland, who died Sunday afternoon.  Her death was the result of a stroke which Mrs. Andress suffered a year ago.  She was only 29 years of age, and leaves four small children.  She was buried in Midland cemetery.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



March 5, 1929


Harry Fay Moore, 21, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. Howard Moore, 324 N. Holmes St., died Sunday morning.  Besides the parents he is survived by three brothers, Charles, Howard, and Paul Moore, and two sisters, Mrs. Ruth King of Park Lake and Elizabeth Moore of Lansing.  Funeral services will be held at the home Wednesday morning, with Rev. J. Allen Canby officiating.  Interment will be in Mt. Hope cemetery.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *



October 16, 1929


Mrs. Ella Walker died at the Ann Arbor hospital last week after an extended illness.  The body was brought to the home of her daughter, Mrs. W. I. N. Shepherd, two miles north of Shepherd, where funeral services were held last Thursday afternoon, with interment in Salt River cemetery.

Mrs. Walker was a resident of the village for several years and for some time she and Mr. Walker conducted the Shepherd Hotel.  She was highly respected by all who knew her.

Ella Yoder was born in Forest, Ontario February 19, 1864 and died October 16, 1929.

She came to Michigan with her parents at the age of sixteen.  In 1883 she married to William Walker, who passed away, Jan. 20, 1922.  Three children were born to this union:  Alfred Walker, Mayme Shepherd and Lenave Barnes, who mourn the passing of a kind and loving mother.  She was a member of the Baptist church.

She leaves one sister, Adella Yoder of Chase, MI;  three grandchildren, William and wife, Portia and Alice Shepherd;  one great grandchild, Portia Jean Shepherd;  one nephew Frank Yoder of Reed City, and two son-in-laws, W. I. N. Shepherd and T. J. Barnes of Flint, MI.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



January 10, 1929


Abraham Mizer was born in Holmes Co., Ohio December 28, 1838, and quietly departed this life at the home of his daughter, Mrs. E. E. Graichen of Ypsilanti, MI, January 10, 1929, at the age of ninety years and twelve days.

He was married to Magdalena Fretz of Holmes Co., Ohio December 10, 1863.  To them were born seven children, five of whom survive their father:  Henry A., of Mantua, Ohio;  Ellen S. Wilmot of Bronson, MI;  Olive A. Graichen of Ypsilanti, MI;  Minta F. Zingery of Redlands, CA;  Nellie B. Powell of Clarkston, MI;  Carrie M. Milliken died at Magnet, TX in November 1912, and a son died in infancy.  He leaves also thirty-three grandchildren and twenty-three great grandchildren.

He had been a member of the Church of Christ for a number of years.  Another pioneer has gone to his reward.  He and his wife came to Isabella county in February of 1864, and started their home on what is now the W. R. Davidson farm.  Their first home was a log hut where they lived for several years.  In 1871 the frame house was built which is still standing, but which has been re-modeled in later years.  Here together they toiled for years until they sold the farm and moved to Mt. Pleasant.  Later, in order to be near their daughter, they moved to Ypsilanti.

The busy toil worn hands are now forever still.  Ever ready to do what he could for others, he faced many a storm to accomplish when he undertook, and to provide for those who were dependent upon him.  He was never happier then when he had his family gathered about him, and in his last years, he loved to talk of the experiences of those early days.  His memory was keen to the last.  He leaves to his children a rich inheritance, that of a true, noble life.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



Honored and Respected Citizen Called by Death

After a Short Illness.

Miss Mary Gruber

April 13, 1929


After a continous residence in Shepherd and vicinity for sixty-two years, Miss Mary Gruber passed away at 9:10 Saturday evening, April 13, 1929, at her home.  She had been failing quite rapidly since last January but was able to be about the house until a week before her death.  She was very patient in her illness and met everyone with a smile and a cherry word.

Mary Elizabeth Gruber was born in Clarton Co., PA December 23, 1849.  When only four years old, she had the misfortune of losing her mother by death.  At the age of eighteen with her father, two sisters and one brother, she came to Michigan, settling on a farm south east of Salt River Corner.  As her sisters and brothers left to make homes of their own, she continued to make a home for her father until his death.

At an early age she united with the German Reformed Church in PA, and soon after coming to this locality transferred her membership to the Methodist church of this place.  She was a very sincere and devoted member and her life has been one continuous testimony of that fact.

Miss Gruber leaves one brother, Jake Gruber of TX,  three nieces of this locality,  Miss Rose Marvin, with whom she made her home;  Miss Mar Gruber and Mrs. Gertrude Thompson;  a nephew, Dr. John Gruber of Cadillac;  one niece, Mrs. Anna McDonald of Lansing and Mrs. Nettie Schilling of CA; a number of cousins and a host of friends.  A brother, Dr. John E. Gruber, two sisters, Mrs. F. A. Marvin and Mrs. Cathine Bigley, preceeded her in death by a number of years.

Funeral services were held at the home Tuesday afternoon, Rev. Mayhew officiating.  Interment was in Salt River Cemetery.

Friends who attended from out of town were:  Mr. and Mrs. A. T. Mieler and Mrs. F. M. Convis of Ithaca;  Mrs. Wm. Tacker and Mrs. S. Bogardus of Clare;  Mrs. Wm. Brew,  Mrs. Alice Cole,  Mrs. Jacob Kratz, Mrs. Kali Mulvey and Charlorea Young of Mt. Pleasant;  Mrs. L. Slater of Rosebush;  Mr. and Mrs. E.W. Orser of Owosso.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         


(no date other than 1929)


Mrs. Mary Roberts, an old and respected citizen of this vicinity, died at her home three miles northeast of this village last Sunday night after an extended illness.  Burial services were held at St. Vincent de Paul church Tuesday morning.  Burial in the Catholic cemetery.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



August 16, 1929  (nsp)


Word was received by Mrs. B. M. Grant, of the death of her brother, James P. Austin of Minden, Louisiana.

Mr. Austin was formerly a Michigan resident.  The survivors of his immediate family are his wife, Mrs. Florence Austin and their seven-year old daughter, Irene;  a step-son, Gene Austin of New York City, president of the Gene Austin Music Publishers, Inc. at that city.

His sister, Mrs. B. M. Grant, is ill at her home on South Washington Street.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



Mrs. Anna Tripp

January 9, 1929  (nsp)


Word was received here today by F. H. Doods and his sister, Mrs. Jennie Riches of the death of their sister, Mrs. Anna Tripp, of Spokane, Washington.  Mrs. Tripp was a resident of this city at one time.

Her only son, Albert Tripp died about six weeks ago.  Mrs. Tripp had made many friends in and around Mt. Pleasant.  Besides her brother and sister, she is survived of this article is missing.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



Samuel Bemrose

December 4, 1929  (nsp)


Another of Mt. Pleasant's aged pioneers passed away early this morning in the person of Samuel Bemrose, eighty years of age last August.  Mr. Bemrose died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. J. H. Ferris on Oak street where he has made his home for the past twenty-seven years.  While in poor health for some time his final illness extended only over about a month.

Mr. Bemrose was born in England, coming to Canada with his parents at the age of three years.  Later the  family moved to Howard City in this state.  He had been a resident of this city and nearby for forty-eight years.  Mrs. Bemrose died about thirty years ago.

He is survived by two daughters and two sons:  Mrs. J. H. Ferris of this city;  Mrs. Henry Manausa of Rosebush;  Herbert Bemrose of Lansing; and William Bemrose of Orleans.  There are also several grandchildren and great grandchildren.

The funeral will be held at the J. H. Ferris home Saturday forenoon with burial in Riverside Cemetery.  The Masonic Lodge and Eastern Star, in both of which he was an enthusiastic and faithful member will take part in the service.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



(no date other than 1929)


George B. Schick was born January 8,k 1882 in New York State.  When he was two years old he moved to Michigan with his parents.  for a number of years he made his home in Isabella County.  He was united in marriage to Miss Carrie Vinning.  His wife preceded him in death five years ago.  Since that time he has made his home with his daughter, Mrs. Arthur Wayne of Alma.  He is survived by his daughter in this city, a sister, Mrs. Sabina Nowland of Detroit, a brother, Ed Schick of Romulus and other relatives and friends.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         




July 8, 1929


Arthur H. Rowlader was born in Woodland twp., Barry Co., MI July 23, 1859, and died at St. Joseph's Hospital, Dearborn, MI July 8, 1929.

He came to Isabella County forty-eight years ago and lived here the entire time, excepting the three years which he spent in Barry county caring for his father's farm.

Twenty-four years ago he left the farm, which was located five miles south of this city, and moved to Mt. Pleasant, where he remained until two years ago, when ill health, which resulted from twenty years of failing eyesight, necessitated his remaining at Dearborn, where he died.

In 1881 he was united in marriage to Amanda A. Wagner, and to this union were born five children:  Mrs. A. H. Clark,  J. Myrle,  Charlotte, and Mrs. E. F. Sugden, all of Detroit;  and Mrs. A. E. Carroll of this city, and eight grandchildren.

There also remain three brothers, Charles E., and Roy G., of Grand Rapids, and Jesse F. of Woodland;  one sister, Mrs. C. F. Hough of ?ulvane, Kan.

Funeral services were held from the home of his daughter, Mrs. A. E. Carroll Thursday afternoon, Rev. Reusch officiating, with burial in Riverside cemetery.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



Esteemed Gratiot Farmer

Victim of Tuberculosis - Dies in Howell

November 21, 1929  (nsp)


Gratiot county lost one of it's respected residents on Thursday of last week when Fred F. Shook of St. Louis passed away at the Howell Sanitarium after a lingering illness which covered the last ten years.  Though he was known to be in a feeble condition the family and friends did not anticipate so sudden an end to his life.

Mr. Shook was a man who was highly esteemed by all who knew him.  In his life as a farmer he was helpful and kind to neighbors, always ready to do a good turn for those with whom he came in contact.  His death is a source of grief to a wide circle of relatives and friends.

Fred F. Shook, the only son of Peter and  Emily J. Shook was born in Livingston County Feb. 21, 1873, died at the age of 56 years, 8 months and 23 days.

He, with his parents, moved to Gratiot Co. in the fall of 1878, when he was four years old and spending a half century in this vicinity.  In December 1898 he was united in marriage with Catherine E. McCune and to this union were born three sons and a daughter:  Carl of Alma, Mrs. Floyd Cummings of Sinton, TX, and Arthur of St. Louis, and Norman of Alma.

In the spring of 1920 he became afflicted with tuberculosis and went to the Michigan State Sanitarium at Howell, returning in the fall to his farm home near St. Louis much improved in health.  There he remained until the fall of 1928, when going to Texas to spend the winter with his daughter Alice.  In May of this year, he returned to Michigan, spending a month at Alma and again returned to the Sanitarium, where he quietly but very suddenly passed away.

The funeral was held in the Methodist church at St. Louis, of which he was a member, on Saturday afternoon, Nov. 16th.  Burial was made in Oak Grove cemetery with Rev. M. A. Braund officiating, assisted by Rev. Birdsell. 

Those from out of town attending the funeral were:  Mort Shook of Wolverine,  Mr. and Mrs. Sherm Sommerville and sons of Saginaw,  Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Judd and Mrs. Mulder of St. John's,  Mr. and Mrs. George Traver and daughter, and Mrs. George Farnsworth of Williston,  Lloyd McCune and Daniel Gould of Flint and Mrs. John McNeil and family of Hillsdale.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         


February 16, 1929


Alexander Koyl passed away at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Hortense Hatt, 403 South Francis Ave., Lansing, Saturday, Feb. 16, 1929.  He had reached the advanced age of ninety years, five months and seven days, having been born in Dorchester, Ontario October 9, 1838.

He is survived by his wife, Ophelia, who is eighty-three years of age, and five children:  Mrs. Louis Courter of Mt. Pleasant;  Mrs. A. E. Hart of Lansing;  Mrs. Harry Prost of New Westminster, B. C., George R. Koyl of East Palestine, OH,  Orson Koyl of Riverdale, MI.  There are twenty-two grandchildren.  three sisters, a brother and many friends in Mt. Pleasant, Dodson, Montana, and wherever he has lived survive him.

Funeral services were held at the home of Orson Koyl in Riverdale, with burial in Riverside cemetery, Mt. Pleasant.  Rev. Mayhew of Shepherd officiated.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         

            There are two (2) obituaries that are so smudged that I can't read very much of them.

The first one is for, I believe, is an 8 year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Lafontain by the name of Louise(?)

No date that I can read other than 1929.


The second one is for Joanne(?) Crocker who passed away at Ithaca and buried in St. Louis.

I believe the newspaper date is July 18, 1929, but so smudged that I can't be sure.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         


Well Known Resident and Theatrical Man

Passes Away After Short Illness

Albert Frederick Barnhart Gruet

March 28, 1929


The last curtain for "Al" Gruet, veteran theatrical actor, went down at three o'clock Saturday, when he passed away at his home on E. Washington Ave., in St. Louis.

The scenes were shifted over a week ago, when he arrived at the family home ill.  He came with his brother, Jack and wife, from Detroit.  Those near to him feel it was a premonition, for it was upon his suggestion that they booked with the Kunskey theaters of Detroit for a performance in Alma and Mt. Pleasant, and incidentally to take a short rest at their home here.  They arrived in St. Louis on Monday, March 18th.  Al was ill then, but was up and down during most of the week.  Finally pleuro pneumonia developed causing his death.  His mother and brother were at the bed-side when the end came.

Al's full name was Albert Frederick Barnhart Gruet.  He was born in St. Louis on June 21, 1869, the oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Gruet.  Mr. Gruet Sr., passed away over fifty years ago.  The boys received their education in St. Louis schools and in 1893 Al started on the road.  In a short time he was joined by Jack and the two brothers have been inseparable since.

The trio known on the vaudeville circuit as Gruet, Cramer, Gruet, were booked with the Keith Vaudeville Company of New York.  They have made all the large cities in the United States and visited many abroad.  Although they were away every season on the road, they returned to St. Louis for the summer months and for some time have maintained a home on E. Washington Avenue.

"Al" Gruet was universally known and liked in the community.  His genial personality, fondness for children and his devotion to his mother, were admirable qualities in his make-up.  Each summer he and Jack have assisted the St. Louis band in their concerts on the street.  He was a grandson of James Gruet, one of the early pioneers of Bethany Mission, who served as an interpreter between the Missionaries and the Indians.  Besides the heart broken mother, Mrs. Emma J. Davis, the brother, Jack and wife, and a half-brother, Fred Davis and family of near St. Johns, there are other relatives and many friends who mourn his passing, and the sympathy of the community goes out to them in their sorrow.

He was a member of the Elks, the lodge having a part in the funeral service.  Rev. Mark Wall of the Christian church officiated and interment was in Oak Grove cemetery.

The impressive service of the ?. P. O. E. was read by members of the order.  Mrs. Virgil Atwater, Mrs. William Nesen, Mrs. Walla and Miss Laura Ford sang accompanied by Mrs. Matt Buck.  Mrs Nesen also  sang "There Will Be One Vacant Chair."  The beautiful floral offerings from sorrowing friends and acquaintances were silent testimonials of the love and esteem.  The pall bearers were S. R. Ostrander,  Fred S. Schaffer,  R. V. Faurot,  W. J. Wilson,  William Duff, all of St. Louis, and Norman E. Duff from Detroit.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



January 2, 1929


Henry Kretzschmar was born on November 29, 1871 in East Township, Carroll Co., NY.  He passed away Jan. 2, 1929, at the age of 57 years, 1 month and 4 days.  On Christmas day he became ill with influenza which rapidly developed into pneumonia.  On Tuesday evening, Jan. 1st, he was taken to Carney hospital in Alma, where he passed away at one o'clock Wednesday.  He was the son of Francis and Margaret Willworth Kretzschmar, the youngest of ten children, six sons and four daughters, two brother having preceded him in death.  The father died June 23, 1890 and the mother passed away March 7, 1881.

Mr. Kretzschmar came to St. Louis with his father and sister Kate and a brother Theodore in 1881, living here until 1893 when he and his brother went to Hillsdale Co. to work, remaining there for four years.

They then returned to the farm which has since been their home.  He was married October 17, 1900 to Nettie Watts of Pleasant Valley.  Four children were born to them, two sons and two daughters, the oldest son dying at birth.  In the immediate family there remain the widow, who is ill with pneumonia, the daughters, Ellen M. and Laura B., the latter being ill in Carney hospital and unaware of her father's death, these with a son, Elmer at home, also the brother, Theodore.  The two brothers have lived together for thirty-two years.  He was a kind and loving husband and father, an honest and upright citizen and will be greatly missed in the social life of the community.  with the relatives are a host of friends who mourn his death.

The funeral service was held Friday at the home, Rev. Mayhew, pastor of the Shepherd M. E. Church officiating.  Interment was in Oak Grove Cemetery.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         




Pneumonia Claims Father and Mother in Same Family

In St. Louis

January 17, 1929  (nsp)


For the second time in nine days death visited the Kretzschmar home north of St. Louis.  Friday morning Mrs. Nettie Kretzschmar passed away, barely a week after her husband, Henry Kretzschmar, passed away at the Carney hospital.  Both were will with pneumonia which caused death.  It is presumable that Mrs. Kretzschmar's illness was largely caused by grief and exposure at the time of her husband's demise.  Mrs. Kretzschmar was 49 years of age and both she and her husband were outstanding citizens in the community in which they lived.

Funeral services were held at the home Monday afternoon, conducted by Rev. Mr. Mayhew, pastor of the Shepherd M. E. Church.  The grief stricken family consists of the son, Elmer, and two daughters, Ellen M. and Laura B.  The two latter have been very ill and are yet confined to the house;  also Mr. Theodore Kretzschmar, a brother who has always lived in the home.

The family have the sympathy of all in this community.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *




Mrs. Sarah Faunce Dies at the Family Home

After Two Year Illness

October 17, 1929 (nsp)


Death has removed another esteemed resident of St. Louis.  On Monday morning Mrs. Sarah Faunce passed quietly away at the home where her son and daughter have lovingly and tenderly cared for her during the past two years, during which time she has been almost helpless, following a fall when she fractured her hip.  Mrs. Faunce was past 60 years of age and had lived in St. Louis for forty years.

Hers was a kindly and loveable character, which endeared her to all who knew her and she will be missed by a large circle of friends, whose sympathy goes out to the members of the bereaved family.

Sarah Almena Shaw was born in Ravena, Ohio January 22, 1849.  Most of her girlhood days were spent with her parents, Benjamin and Sarah Shaw in Newton Falls, Ohio.            On January 21, 1869 she was united in marriage with Parmenas C. Faunce.  For several years they lived in Trumbull Co., Ohio.  They moved to Petoskey, MI in the spring of 1876 and from there to Burt Lake, where they farmed until 1886 when they returned to Petoskey, on account of better school advantages.  In September 1889 the family moved to St. Louis, and this has been ever since her home.

The husband, father, mother, three brothers and one sister have preceded her in death.  She leaves four children:  Mrs. Ora Knight and Carl E. Fanuce of St. Louis;  Mrs. L. Fern Labret of Flint; and Mrs. Mary E. Durkee of Pontiac, also seven grandchildren to mourn her departure.

Mrs. Faunce has been a member of the Christian church since 1870 and her faithfulness in all departments of the church work has been known by all of her acquaintances and especially felt and appreciated by other members of the congregation.  Her favorite service was as a Sunday School teacher which was continued faithfully and effectively until about two years ago, when failing health interfered, but her interest never ceased.  Life's race well run;  Life's work well done;  Life's crown well won.  Now come rest.

Mrs. Faunce was also a beloved member of the Order of the Eastern Star, where for many years she served the Chapter as chaplain and warden.

The funeral was held at the family home on E. Washington Ave., Wednesday afternoon, Rev. Mark Well, pastor of the Christian church officiating.

Interment was in Oak Grove cemetery.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



John Beddow Passes Away After Gallant

Fight Against Disease

July 30, 1929  (nsp)


John Beddow, 29, son of I. A. Beddow, passed away at Tucson, Arizona, Sunday morning.  Mr. Beddow left her Wednesday last in response to a telegram informing him of his son's illness.  He arrived in Tucson Saturday, one day previous to his son's death.

John Beddow would have been 30 years old on  August 7th.  He has lived in Mt. Pleasant since he was a small child.  Upon the declaration of war in 1917, he enlisted and was sent overseas.  While located in the southern part of France he was stricken with pneumonia from which he never fully recovered.

He went to Phoenix, Arizona the first of January and his health was greatly improving, until he suffered a relapse last Tuesday.

The body will be brought to Mt. Pleasant for burial by his father, who is expected to arrive here Thursday.  Funeral services will be held Friday afternoon at the home.

John Beddow is survived by his father, two sisters;  Margaret and Helen, and three brothers;  Thomas, Fred and Herbert.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



July 5, 1929


Mary Elizabeth Tomlinson, daughter of James and Nancy Smith Tomlinson, was born August 20, 1850 and departed this life July 5,1929.

She was united in marriage to Lewis Stump November 15, 1868.  To this union were born nine children:  Samuel T. of Milan, MI;  Effie B. Smalley, deceased:  Francis H., deceased;  Ethel B. Runnion of Van Wert, Ohio;  Claude B. of Shepherd;  Florence M. Bigelow, deceased;  Grace M. of Shepherd;  Gertrude M. Rosselit of Shepherd; and Ruth H. Stough of Johnson City, TN.  The resided in Van Wert, Ohio until 1903 when they moved to a farm one-half mile west of Shepherd until 1914, and then moved to the village of Shepherd where they have since resided.

Mrs. Stump was one of a family of nine children of which only two survive:  Mrs. Sarah Griffith of Bannister and Charles E. Tomlinson of Fort Wayne, Indiana.

She was a member of the Friends Church of Van Wert, Ohio and after moving to Shepherd united with the M. E. Church of Shepherd.

She was a faithful and willing worker of the Ladies Aid Society and enjoyed it's fellowship.

She leaves besides a husband, one sister, one brother, six children, sixteen grandchildren and five great grandchildren.

Funeral services were held at her late home in this village Sunday afternoon.  Burial was in Salt River Cemetery.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *



July 8, 1929


Peter J. Phenix was born in New York State August 20, 1848 and passed away at the home of Mrs. J. C. Hall July 8, 1929, aged 80 yrs., 10 mo., and 18 days.

His mother died when he was six years old and with his father he moved to Illinois.  In 1866 they moved to Kansas, where he lived 21 years.  He was married to Sarah Hayden in 1882 and moved back to Illinois in 1887, where his wife passed away in 1900.

In 1905 he was married to Sue M. Gulick and in 1919 moved to Shepherd and has since made that place his home except for a short time spent on a farm.

He leaves to mourn his loss a half sister, niece and nephew in Kansas, a half brother in Oklahoma and four step children.

He enlisted in Company L, 19th Volunteer Cavalry of Kansas and served in the Indian Campaign of 1868 and 1869.  He endured many hardships from thirst, hunger and cold but was glad to be able to rescue two white women from the Indians, one of whom is still living.

He was a member of the Methodist church of Shepherd.

Mr. Phenix lived an exemplary life, honorable in the extreme, industrious, law-abiding, just in his estimate of character, kind to his friends, obliging to his neighbors and loving in his family relations.  He was a great sufferer the last few months but very patient.

Funeral services were held at the home of Mrs. J. C. Hall, Rev. Vanneter officiating, and was laid to rest by the side of his wife in Lincoln cemetery.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



November 4, 1929


Eliza Helen Hunt was born January 6, 1881 in Gratiot Co., MI.  She departed to be with Jesus November 4, 1929, aged 48 years, nine months and 29 days, leaving her husband, two sons,  Harold of Muskegon and Charles; also one sister Mrs. Ida Bunker of Deerfield;  three brothers, Harvey Hunt of Pontiac,  Nelson and James Hunt of Mt. Pleasant, and five grandchildren of Muskegon, besides a host of friends.

She was united in marriage October 23, 1899 to Howard McMacken.  Three children were born to this union.  Clio, who preceded her mother some nine years ago;  Harold and Charles.

She was converted to the Baptist church at Strickland 19 years ago.  For the last five years she suffered almost constantly.  Her patience, fortitude and trust in God was an inspiration to all who came in contact with her.  Almost her last words were "God's will be done."  Then God took her to Himself never more to suffer.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



September 19, 1929


Nelson Haskin, son of Richard and Jane Haskin, was born at Prince Albert(?), Ontario October 20, 1849 and died at the home of his granddaughter, Mrs. Clarence Parks, in the village Thursday, Sept. 19, 1929.

Mr. Haskin was one of a family of ten children, six of whom survive him.  At the age of 22 he came to Imlay, MI where he entered business with John Borland, whose interest in the business he later purchased.

Mr. Haskin was a resident of Inlay City for over 40 years, where he held many positions of trust having served for some time as village president and later as justice of the peace.  He was elected as a member of the state legislature in 1887.  He was deacon of the church at Imlay City and superintendent of the Sunday school for over 20 years.

On Sept 11, 1872 he was united in marriage to Ella L. Mosher, who passed away on May 7, 1928.  To this union seven children were born, five of which survive.  Bernice May Bloomfield of Springfield, Mass;  Walter and Hugh of Detroit;  David of Los Angeles, CA.;  Alice B. Stiles of Southbury, Conn.  He is also survived by three brothers and three sisters; eleven grandchildren and three great grandchildren.

He was a member of the Masonic Blue Lodge for over 50 years and also a member of the R. A. M. and Knights Templar and an honorary member of the Odd Fellow Lodge.

Mr. Haskin came to Shepherd about 14 years ago and conducted a dry goods business until he retired about eight years ago.  He has been justice of the peace of Coe twp. for several years and was honored and respected by all, and famed for his genial and happy disposition.

Short services were held at the home of his granddaughter, Mrs. Clarence Parks, Friday afternoon, with Rev. Mayhew officiating and Saturday morning the body was taken to Imlay City where services were held in the afternoon at the Congregational church, conducted by L. H. Cone.  Masonic Chapter services were conducted at the cemetery, which were attended by the Shepherd Masons.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



Mrs. Archibald Fordyce Passes Away Friday

At age 88 Years

February 1, 1929 


Funeral services were held Monday afternoon at the Coe church for Mrs. Archibald Fordyce, who passed away Friday, February 1st, aged 88 years, three weeks and three days.

Martha Leonard was born in Green Co. PA January 7, 1841.  In August of 1859 she was united in marriage with Archibald Fordyce.  To this union was born one son, Ezckial G., who departed this life three years ago.  Mrs. Fordyce and her husband came to Michigan in March of 1865.  In her early girlhood she united with the Christian church and was faithful to the last.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *



December 11, 1929


Miss Floy Struble died at the hospital in Ann Arbor Wednesday, Dec. 11th, after an illness extending over several months.  Her body was brought to her home in Mt. Pleasant where funeral services were held Saturday afternoon.  She was buried in the family lot in Salt River cemetery.

Lucy Floy Struble was born in Shepherd, Feb. 15, 1890, and died in Ann Arbor, MI on December 11, 1929, at the age of 38 years, 9 months and 20 days.

Her life has been one of exemplary and beautiful Christian living, which has been spent in her home town until her removal to Mt. Pleasant in 1927,. where she finished her college work begun in Taylor University, Upland, Indiana, and her first four months of the school year 1828-29 when she taught in the Woodland public schools.

Her funeral services held at the home in Mt. Pleasant, conducted by her cousin, Dr. Robert E. Brown of Albion, a former Shepherd boy, assisted by the Rev. Charles W. MacKinzie of Mt. Pleasant.

Dr. Brown voiced the attitude of all her friends when he said her life was one of radiance and beauty, and warmth of affection which endeared her to a host of friends.  Her room in the hospital, although a place of much pain and suffering, was never-theless, a center of joy and benediction.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



Mrs. Vere DuBois and Daughter, Janice, and Dorris, the

Daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Don DuBois Victims

December 19, 1929  (nsp)


Three times within sixteen days has this community been visited with a catastrophe that has taken a toll of eight lives and brought sorrow and death to no less than six homes and cast the whole community into a state of melancholy and gloom that is depicted on nearly every countenance.

The first of these was the automobile accident on Thanksgiving night which resulted in the death of three young people from as many different homes.

Eight days later a fire that destroyed the Fred Reiter home in this village cremated two little children.

Again last Saturday afternoon, just eight days after the second accident, the community was horrified to hear that three more of our citizens had become the victims of a fatality when the north bound passenger train that arrives shortly before two o'clock had hit an automobile at the Kennedy crossing one mile south of town.

In the fated car were Mrs. Don DuBois, who was driving, and her daughter, Doris, aged 12, and Donna, aged 10, and Mrs. Vere DuBois and little three year old daughter, Janice.

They were driving south and evidently failed to see the o9ncoming train until it was nearly upon them, when the driver applied the brakes and swerved the car to the left when it was swiped and hurled into the ditch.

When the victims were removed from the wreck it was found that Mrs. Vere DuBois had been severely crushed and instantly killed, and her little three year old daughter, Janice, had her head completely severed from her body.  Doris, the oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Don DuBois, sustained a broken leg, a broken arm and shoulder, besides other bruises, and while still alive when first taken from the wreck, she died just before help could reach her.  Mrs. Don DuBois was badly cut and her daughter, Donna, suffered a broken arm and were taken to the hospital at Alma where they were treated and were able to return home later that evening.

The train brought the bodies to the depot and they were taken to the Stiligenbauer Furniture Store, and the prosecuting attorney and coroner were notified.  A jury consisting of John Willims, Stanley Stahlman, Ralph Nilson, Lee Thomas, G. O. Whiteside and J. A. Gibbs were empanelled to view the bodies, but it is hardly thought an inquest will be called.


There is also an article of Obituary on these people, but is completely unreadable other than Mrs. Vere Dubois's maiden name was Walton, and was born in Rosebush in 1901.  I can also make out that she left a son, Richard, age 8, parents Mr. and Mrs. Tom C. Walton - several sisters and it looks like 2 brothers, Ivan Walton and Glen Walton.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *



Phylis, age 2 - Mary, age 5

Children of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Reiter

December 12, 1929


Another catastrophe visited this community last Friday morning in which two innocent babes were the victims.

This was the second accident with in a period of eight days which took a toll of a total of five lives.

The last horror was caused by the burning of the building in the south part of town occupied by Fred Reiter, wife, seven children and the grandfather.

The fire occurred about eight o'clock when one of the children was replenishing the oil in the stove.  The supply tank for the stove had been broken and the oil was being poured into the open bottom when the fumes were ignited and the whole building apparently became afire almost instantly.

The distracted mother rushed from the building to give the alarm and the door closed behind her and was secured by a spring lock.  It was necessary for those who appeared first on the scene to force an entrance and five of the children, including a year old baby which was carried from the building by Claude Stump, were rescued from the living room.

The grandfather, who occupied the rear bedroom, made his escape in his bare feet and his hair was badly singed.

The two children who met their death occupied the front bedroom on the west side and when the front door to the living room was open it hid the entrance to this apartment and it's location was only discovered from the window on the outside.

Fire Chief G. O. Whiteside immediately forced his way into the room and stumbled on the body of Mary, a five year old girl, crouched by the side of the bed which he carried out and returning to the room found Phyllis, a two year old, curled up in bed as though she had been peacefully sleeping when overcome.

The baby which was quite badly burned was taken to the hospital at Mt. Pleasant and at last reports it was thought it would recover.

The bodies of the two little victims were taken to the Stilgenbauer furniture apartments where they were prepared for burial.

Funeral services were held at the Methodist church Sunday afternoon, Rev. Kendall officiating.  Burial was in Salt River cemetery.

The father was employed on the road north of Clare and was not at home when the fire occurred.

The family lost all their belongings in the fire and Shepherd people have been generous in their donations of clothing, food and money, as a temporary relief.  The Masonic lodge donated their share of the receipts of the Womanless Wedding Friday night, which consisted of a check for $50.


Another article on this family - same date.


Funeral Services For Phyllis and Mary Reiter Were

Held Sunday Afternoon.


The final curtain was drawn Sunday afternoon on a sad drama when funeral services were held at the Shepherd Methodist Episcopal church for Phyllis Eldeen and Mary Elizabeth Reiter, the little victims of the Friday morning fire.

The church was well filled with those who took the opportunity to express to the mourning relatives their sympathy and sorrow over the calamity which had overtaken their home.

Rev. Kendall conducted the services, with burial in Salt River Cemetery.

Mary Elizabeth Reiter was born at Tustin, MI, Oct 4, 1923, being six years, two months and two days of age.

Phyllis Eldeen Reiter was born at Tustin, MI, Feb. 15, 1925, being four years, nine months and twenty-one days of age.

The father, mother, brothers, and one sister - two grandparents, ten uncles and aunts and forty-one cousins are left to mourn the unfortunate fate of the little girls.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         





Charles Caner of Hudson Stalls Car On Pavement

Tells Prosecutor Story

Injured Brought to This City, Shepherd and Homes

Inquest Today

November 29, 1929  (nsp)


Three persons were killed and five injured in a pile up of four cars on US-27 two miles west of Shepherd at 11:30 p.m. Thursday

The dead are: 

Bernice Sanders, 17, employee of Gorham Brothers Co., Mt. Pleasant;  Alfred Koloff, 19,  employee in the Fuller Pool Room, Shepherd;  and Wayne Frost, 19, high school student, Shepherd.

The injured are:

Eleanor West, 17, of near Mt. Pleasant, broken nose and severe cuts about the head and face;  Tom Coughlin, head injury, severe cuts about the hands and arms;  Theodore Sowle, Walnut Street, severe cuts and possible internal injuries;  Dorothy Bangs, south Lansing Street, cuts and bruises;  Wilber Welch, bruises and cuts and Chas. Caner, Hudson, MI, injured leg.

Prosecuting Attorney James E. Ryan and Sheriff Andrew Schertel have been working all last night and today attempting to piece together a coherent account of the fatal crash.

Chas. Caner, operator of a steam shovel for the construction company employed to build the Chippewa River bridge north of the city, was returning from his home in Hudson, MI.  According to his statement made to Prosecuting Attorney Ryan this morning, his car ran out of gas while driving west from Shepherd.  He stated that he was attempting to back the machine off the highway when an Erskine car, traveling at a high rate of speed from the east, crashed into his car hurling him into the ditch on the north side of the highway.  When he picked himself up he found the Erskine overturned on it's side in the middle of the highway.  He rushed to it and pulled out Eleanor West, who was severely injured and carried her into a farmhouse nearby.

He states that when he came out of the house two other cars had crashed about 150 feet further west and one was in flames.

From incomplete reports of the two crashes, it is believed that a Ford car containing Bernice Sanders, Alfred Koloff, and Wayne Frost, who were returning from a dance in Shepherd, crashed into a roadster driven by Wilber Welch and coming from the west, in an attempt to avoid the first pile-up.

The bodies of the three victims believed to have been killed instantly, were badly burned before rescuers could drag them from their car which had burst into flames following the crash.

Caner, whose stalled car was indirectly the cause of the fatal accident, was brought to Mt. Pleasant and held for questioning by local authorities.  Following his statement to the prosecutor he was released and may be called before the coroner's jury which was impaneled this afternoon.  Their report will probably be available Saturday.

Bernice Sanders, one of the victims, is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Louis Sanders.  She was graduated from the Mt. Pleasant High school last June.  Miss Sanders was one of the honor students of her class and was valedictorian at the commencement exercise.

Wayne Frost was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Frost of Shepherd.  He was a high school student there.

Alfred Koloff was the son of John Koloff and has been employed recently by the Steve Fuller Pool room in Shepherd.

Arrangements for the funerals of the three have not been made.  The bodies are being held at the mortuary of G. J. Stinson until they can be viewed by the coroner's jury.

Prosecuting Attorney Ryan was unable to give an option as to whether any criminal liability for the fatal accident could be placed until the inquest is held and further questionings could be made.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *



November 29, 1929  (nsp)


Bernice Sanders, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. L. H. Sanders, was born in Clare Co., MI; March 22, 1912 and passed away Nov. 28, 1929.  She is survived by her parents, a sister, Mrs. Hazel Feichtenbiner;  four brothers, Charles, Orval, Bert and Clair Sanders.  While Bernice was a young girl her parents moved to Mt. Pleasant, where she entered the public schools.  She was graduated from the Mt. Pleasant High School June 20, 1929.  Since her graduation she has been employed in the offices of the Gorham Brothers Company.

Miss Bernice was always a popular favorite among her associates and was a brilliant student.  In 1926 she received the highest honors at the State academic contest and was granted the special gold award for the highest standing in Latin.  In other contests she always won recognition for scholarship and skill.  Throughout her High School career she held first place in her class and for that reason she was chosen valedictorian of the Class of 1929.

It was because of her genuinely ladylike qualities and fine manner that Miss Bernice was so highly admired and respected.  She always appeared happy, she radiated a cheer that was contagious, and her personality was one of loviness and charm.  All who knew her as a companion or associate will have a happy memory of her.  Even beyond and through the dark tragedy that has taken her from us, shall always gleam sweet and cherished memories of this fine young lady.






Wayne Philetus Frost, son of Joseph and Emma Frost, was born December 3, 1911 at the farm home near Shepherd.

He passed away November 28, 1929, at the age of seventeen years, eleven months and twenty-five days.  At the age of eight years he moved with his parents to Shepherd, where he has since resided.  He was  a Junior in Shepherd High School.

The past two summers he has attended Citizens' Military Training Camp at Camp Custer and Fort Brady.

Left to mourn their loss are his parents, two sisters:  Retha McCormick of Shepherd and Ione McClintic of near Alma;  two brothers, Percy of Lansing and Eugene at home;  three nieces and two nephews, and a host of relatives and friends.

He always had a smile and a kind word for everyone.

Those from out of town at the funeral services were:  Mr. and Mrs. W. G. Faunce,  Mr. and Mrs. Roy Gould and daughters, Edna and Eva;  Fred Algate and Elton Selfridge and wife, all of Lansing;  Mr. and Mrs. Rolland Selfridge of Grand Ledge,  Mr. and Mrs. Howard Giles and children of St. Louis;  Mrs. Risch and daughters, Zelma and Zenova of Alma;  Mrs. Claud Day, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Mullett and sons Elmore and Stanley of this article is missing.


I did not find the obit. on Alfred Koloff in this scrapbook.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *




Jerome C. Cotton Passes Away Quietly

Funeral Held on Monday Morning.

August 22, 1929  (nsp)


The funeral service for J. C. Cotton, who passed away Friday, was held at the Faunce home on East Washington avenue Monday at 10 o'clock.  Rev. Mark Wall officiated and Vern Wright sang "Rifted Rock." and "Shelter Me Safe in That Home of Rest."  The interment was in Oak Grove cemetery by the side of his wife who preceded him in death last fall.

Mr. Cotton has been a respected citizen of this city for sixteen years, coming here from Ohio.  He was a stone mason by trade but also worked at the carpenter trade while here.  He had a kindly disposition, was ever mindful of his friends and deeply appreciated any kindness.  A notable trait, one that friends often remarked about, was him immaculate appearance at all times.

After the death of his wife he spent some time with relatives in Ohio, returning to St. Louis in February, and since that time has lived at the Faunce home.

Jerome C. Cotton was born near Elyra, Ohio, March 23, 1850.  He was the son of George and Eliza (Hecock) Cotton.  In 1878 he was married to Emma Daily.  To this union was born one daughter, Mabel, who passed away some ten years ago.  Mr. Cotton was a sufferer from heart disease and death came suddenly as he was walking on the street Friday afternoon, about four o'clock.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



Mrs. M. Burggraf Hangs Herself in the

Garage Last Saturday

November 28, 1929  (nsp)


Mrs. M. Burggraf, who lies northwest of Shepherd, ended her life Saturday, hanging herself in the garage.

Only a short time before the body was discovered her son, Henry, who lived with her, had fixed the fire and with the family had left for Shepherd leaving a boy at home with Mrs. Burggraf.

The boy, who was husking corn, went to the house shortly after others left and when he failed to find Mrs. Burggraf, started an investigation and found her body hanging from a beam in the garage.

Evidently almost immediately after the members of the family had left the woman had fashioned a rope from a sheet and taking a chair, went to the out building where she fastened the sheet about her neck and over the beam and had then kicked the chair from beneath her.

Mrs. Burggraf had been in feeble health for some time and deeply mourned the death of her husband  who died several months ago.

Funeral services were held at the home Tuesday.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



Mother and Brother of Paul Brainerd Called to Ann Arbor

by His Death

January 20, 1929


The community was again saddened when news of the death of Paul Brainerd, son of Mrs. Inez Brainerd reached here.  Paul had been in ill health for some time and was in the University Hospital at Ann Arbor since the holidays.  Last Tuesday he became worse and his mother and brother were sent for.  He passed away on Thursday night at 8:30 o'clock.

Funeral services were held Sunday at Grand Ledge, the former home of the Brainerds, in the Trinity Episcopal church with Rev. Mr. Evert and Rev. James M. Horton of Alma officiating.  The church was filled and beautiful floral tributes sent were testimonies of the high esteem in which the family was held.

Paul was born in Grand Ledge December 18, 1914, son of Inez and Charles Brainerd.  His father passed away when Paul was three years of age.  Paul was baptized in the Episcopal church in Grand Ledge and when the family moved to St. Louis about seven years ago he attended the local Episcopal church and was confirmed two years ago by Bishop Herman Page, Rev. Horton preparing him for confirmation.  He also was active in the Boy Scout organization and a splendid student in school.

His mother, Inez Brainerd and brother, Willard, a half sister, Isabel of Detroit, survive him.

Among those from St. Louis attending the funeral were Mr. and Mrs. R. L. Bowen,  Mrs. W. H. Tenney,  Mrs. Will McVay,  Mrs. Fred Schaffer,  Mrs. John Tuger,  Leland Taggert,  Coach Davis,  Loren Schaffer and Robert Hayes, and Rev. Horton of Alma.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *




Mrs. Myron Keefer Succumbs to Ill Health

in Family Residence

January 9, 1929


Mrs. Myron Keefer, a resident of this community for over fifty years and highly respected by all for miles around, passed away at the family home north of St. Louis on Wednesday evening, Jan. 9th.  Death was the result of a complication of disease.

The funeral service was held at two o'clock Sunday afternoon at the home.  Rev. Clair A. Perrigo officiated.  Burial was made in Coe cemetery.

May Eliza Raymond was born at Three Rivers on April 27, 1857 and moved to Hillsdale Co. at 8 years of age.  She was united in marriage to Myron Keefer on June 30, 1875.  To them were born 7 children:  Phil of Fronburg, Mont;  Jesse of Molt, Mont;  Edith and Ray of St. Louis;  Lee passed away at Billings, Mont. Nov 8, 1918;  Carrie of Coe and Floyd of Ithaca.  Mr. and Mrs. Keefer with two small children moved from Hillsdale Co. to Jasper, Midland Co. in 1878 and lived here until her death in Jan.  When a young girl she united with the Baptist church.  She leaves to mourn their loss her aged companion, six children, a brother, sister and 21 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren, who, with friends and neighbors will always remember her as tried and true friend whom they could always ...(unreadable) every emergency.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         




Mrs. William Sonley Passes Away Following

Long Illness at Her Farm Home

February 6, 1929


Mrs. William Sonley, a highly respected woman of the community passed away on Feb. 6th, after a lingering illness of many weeks.  She was 57 years of age and had lived in the community for many years where she was respected and loved by all who knew her.  Although she had been ill for months, she bore her suffering with fortitude which reflected her strong and lovable character.  For years she had been a member of the Christian church of Coe and will be greatly missed in the social life of the church.

Margaret Mae Rood, daughter of John and Mary Rood, was born Sept. 8, 1871 at Elwell, where she grew to womanhood.  She was united in marriage with William A. Sonley on Nov. 7, 1894.  Soon after their marriage they located on the farm north of St. Louis, where Mr. Sonley died fourteen years ago and where Mrs. Sonley passed away on Wednesday evening, Feb. 6th.

She leaves two sons, Frank L. and John H., both married; one grandson, Junior L., a sister Mrs. L. O'Boyle of Mt. Pleasant and a brother, Frank Rood of Grayling.  There are also three aunts and one uncle.  She was a kind and loving mother and with her family are a host of friends who mourn her passing.  Funeral services were held at the farm home north of St. Louis on Saturday afternoon, Rev. Hiram Pegg officiating.  Interment was in Oak Grove cemetery.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



March 28, 1929  (nsp)


Francis M. Hall was born March 2, 1852, at Springwater, Livingston Co., NY.  He was the son of Chas. and Abbie Hall.  In the year of 1856 he came with his parents to Michigan and settled on a farm in Chippewa township.  In the year 1876 he was married to Ellen A. Post, who passed away thirteen years later.  To this union were born four children, two sons and two daughters:  Charles E., William M., and Nellie May preceding him in death.

In the year 1899 he was married to Lettie Johnston.  She passed away Feb. 15, 1905, and to this union was born one daughter, Mrs. Ellen Lectka now residing in Kalamazoo.

The deceased lived in Chippewa township until the year 1921, when he came to make his home with his daughter, Mrs. Iva Knowlton, where he passed away at the age of 77 years, 13 days.  He leaves to mourn his loss two daughters, three brothers, nine grandchildren and eight great grandchildren.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



Sept 26, 1929  (nsp)


N. W. Struble, 77 years of age, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Pearl S. Rowland on South Main St., Mt. Pleasant Monday afternoon at 4 o'clock.  He had been in ill health for the past nine months during most of the time confined to the house.

Mr. Struble was  in business in this village for several years, moving to Mt. Pleasant with his daughter about three years ago.

He is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Rowland and Miss Floy Struble, who is now in the hospital in Ann Arbor seriously ill, and one grandson, Virgil Rowland, who is teaching at Millersburg.  Two brothers, Albert and Jason, and one sister, Mrs. Zilla Conklin, all residents of this village are also living.

The funeral was held Wednesday at the home.  He was buried on the family lot in Salt River cemetery.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         


Was Resident of This Community for a

Number of Years.

July 4, 1929  (nsp)


William Nichol was born March 20, 1853, in Malahide twp., Elgin Co., Ontario.  On Sept. 1, 1875 he was married to Mary E. Koyl of Springfield, Canada.  To this union two children were born, both dying in infancy.

The family came to Shepherd in 1894 and have resided here ever since.  He was a Christian for over 30 years, a good neighbor and a kind, loving husband and will be greatly missed in the community in which he lived.

He leaves a wife and two sisters, Mrs. R. C. Koyl of Shepherd and Mrs. Wm. W. Webber of White Bear Lake, Minnesota.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



February 5, 1929


Mary Florence Motter was born in Florence township, Williams Co., Ohio on September 1, 1890.  She was the daughter of Deborah Ann and Samuel Motter.  In this country home in Ohio she grew to  young womanhood.

On May 15, 1907 she was married to John W. Morgan.  To this union were born two daughters, Evelyn and Lillian, who are with us today and one son, Olen Searls, who died in infancy about twenty one years ago.

Besides the husband and these daughters, there are left to mourn her departure three brothers and three sisters:  Jacob Motter of Montipeller, Ohio;  Mrs. Walter Mercer of Mt. Pleasant, MI;  Mrs. Bert Pullick of Bryan, Ohio;  Erotus Motter of Montipeller, Ohio;  Clyde Motter of Fremont, Ind.;  Mrs. George Todd of Cambria, MI;  besides a host of relatives and friends.

Mrs. Morgan was stricken with influenza about Christmas time.  Recently she was removed to Carne private hospital for better care but too late.  During the early morning of Tuesday, Feb. 5th, 1929, she passed to the life beyond, being 38 years, 5 months and 4 days of age.

The funeral was held at the Christian Church Friday afternoon, M. C. Vanneter officiating.  Interment was in Salt River Cemetery.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *




Mrs. George Filkins

January 10, 1929  (nsp)


The body of Mrs. George Filkins, who died in a Lansing hospital Wednesday, was brought to this city last night.  Mrs. Filkins, who went to Lansing a few weeks ago, was spending the winter with her niece, Mrs. Joseph Campbell.  Her son, Charles Allen went to that city Saturday, and had his mother removed to a hospital but she steadily grew worse until the end.

Funeral arrangements cannot be made until the friends reach here from Lansing and they are driving thru today.

Mrs. Filkins has lived here for a great many years on North Fancher avenue and has been a resident of this county for over forty years.

She is survived by her son, Charles Allen, and several more distant relatives.  Mr. Filkins died several years ago and their only daughter, Thora, died while yet a young girl.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         


(article very smudged and I can not make out the given name of this person, or some other parts of this article.)



November 18, 1929


? Ziegler, son of Elizabeth and George Ziegler, was born in Lancaster Co., PA on Sept (?), 1855 or 56, and departed this life on Nov. 18, 1929.  When a small boy he, with his parents, moved to Stark(?) Co., Ohio.  At the age of (?) years he came to Salt River, MI., which is now known as Shepherd, MI, where he spent the remainder of his life.  In 1880 he was united in marriage to Emma Omey and to this union was born a daughter, Mrs. Fisher(?), now residing at Youngstown, OH.

Those left to mourn their loss are the daughter, two sisters, a nephew, two (?) and four grandchildren.

The funeral was held at the home of her sister, Mrs. Mary Shouey, Rev. Kendall officiating, burial was in Salt River cemetery.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *



January 18, 1929


Celia Thompson was born August 8, 1867 at Berria, Ohio.

Later she moved with her parents to Muir where she lived until March 10, 1885.  She was married to Darwin Childs and to this union five children were born:  Ella Mullet of Shepherd;  Mamie Akers of Mason;  Maude Goucher dying at the age of 23, and two died in infancy.

In 1892 they moved to the farm northeast of Shepherd where she passed away Jan. 18th after a long illness.

She leaves besides the husband, two daughters, a granddaughter, Mrs. Leola Sugar, who has always lived in their home;  three sisters, Mrs. Will Houser of Alma,  Mrs. John Parks of Shepherd, and Mrs. Robert Ingersoll of Lansing, also five grandchildren and four great grandchildren to mourn the loss.

The funeral was held at the Methodist church Sunday, B. T. Slates of Holland officiated.  Burial in Salt River Cemetery.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         


(This article is badly smudged and can only make out part of it.)



April 8, 1929


Mrs. Margaret Bush was born in ? County, Ohio on April 12, 1861, and departed this life at her home in Lincoln twp. Monday, April 8, age the age of 67 years, eleven months and twenty-one days.

(Husband was D. S. Bush - six children born to them - the rest I can not read.)


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



December 19, 1929


May H. Brickley was born on January 23, 1863 in Coe twp., Isabella Co., Michigan.  On November 9, 1886 she was married to Mait Wolfrain in Mt. Pleasant by Rev. G. L. Haight.  To this union one child was born, Gertrude.

Mrs. Wolfrain departed this life December 19, 1929 at the age of 66 years, 10 months and 26 days.

She leaves to mourn her loss a husband, one daughter, Mrs. Clarence Landon, two grandchildren, Lenore and Clare Landon;  one sister, Mrs. Inez Hann, and a number of relatives and friends.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



July 9, 1929


Roy Glenn McCune, better known as Jim McCune, the youngest son of Edwin D. and Mary A. McCune was born at Pleasant Valley December 12, 1892 and departed this life July 9, 1929, age 37 years, 6 months, and 27 days.  His entire life was spent at this place with the exception of one year that was spent in Oklahoma with his sister, Mrs. Lloyd Welling.

He leaves to mourn, his aged mother, one brother, Charles McCune of Pleasant Valley,  Mrs. Fred Shook and Mrs. Eben Gould of St. Louis, and Mrs. Roy Allen of Shepherd and several nephews, nieces and other relatives.

]Although in poor health for many years, he will be missed by a large circle of friends and be remembered for his jovial disposition.

Burial was made in the Salt River cemetery, Rev. Vannetter officiating.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



October 28, 1929  (nsp)


A telegram was received by relatives today saying that Dr. Audley Young had been drowned in a motor boat accident at Oakdale, California.

Dr. Young was a nephew of the late A. E. Young of this city and was also a nephew of George Murtha of this city.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         



March 10, 1929


Florence Ada Walling was born at Hartford, N. Y. April 5, 1859.  At the age of nine years she, along with her parents, came to Isabella County, Michigan.

December 4, 1875 she was united in marriage with Orville E. Way of Ionia County.  To this union were born four children, of whom three are now living;  Mrs. Lulu Mull of Lansing,  Mrs. Frank Sponseller of Mt. Pleasant,  Claud Way of Ionia, and Arthur Way, who died in infancy.  She also leaves eleven grandchildren and 8 great grandchildren and a host of friends and neighbors to mourn her loss.

She has been a patient sufferer for thirty-five years and a kind and loving mother.  Mrs. Way departed this life March 10, 1929 at the age of 69 years, 11 months and 26 days.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *




Mrs. Rachel Kimberling Dies as a Result of Injuries

Sustained in Fall

April 18, 1929  (nsp)


Mrs. Rachel Kimberling who was 99 years of age last January, passed away at the home of her daughter-in-law, Mrs. I. W. Kimberling, Wednesday morning at two a.m.

Mrs. Kimberling fell a week ago and injured her hip and the shock caused her death.  Funeral services will be held in the Christian church today at two o'clock and Friday the body will be taken to Elkhart, Ind., her former home, for burial.

Rachel Lepley was born in Seneca Co., Ohio January 23, 1830.  When about two years of age she moved with her parents to St. Joseph Co. in this state.  When a young woman she united in marriage with John Kimberling in 1858.  One child was born to this union, the late Rev. Ira W. Kimberling, for several years pastor of the Christian church in St. Louis.  Since the death of her husband in 1912, Mrs. Kimberling made her home with her son and wife and after Rev. Kimberling's death continued to live in the home.

For on of her years she was  very active until a short time ago, when she began to grow very feeble, and for some years has been troubled with poor eyesight.

She was called "Grandma Kimberling" by all who knew her.

Mrs. Kimberling's death is a source of grief to all who knew her for she was universally loved and respected throughout the whole community.  She was such a wee lady, weighing perhaps 75 lbs. but every ounce of her energy was used when ever possible in furthering the work of the Kingdom into which she so peacefully graduated her.  Her life was a blessing and her death a stronger assurance of eternal life beyond death.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *                     



© 1999 - 2009  Donna Hoff-Grambau
All Rights Reserved