At Colorado Springs

May 8, 1923


Clara McFarren Kinter passed away Tuesday, May 8, at Colorado Springs, Colorado, at the age of seventy-eight years.  Funeral services were held at Colorado Springs;  interment was in the Shepherd cemetery beside her husband, James Monroe Kinter.

She is survived by one daughter, Mrs. W. W. Riches;  two granddaughters, Miss Nina Struble of Lansing and Mrs. V. W. Leeman of Shaftsburg, and one brother, F. A. McFarren of California.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *




Mrs. Harriet Fields

April, 1923


This city was shocked and deeply grieved Saturday afternoon to hear of the sudden death of Mrs. Harriet Fields, wife of Marshall Fields, the well known grocery merchant of St. Louis.

Mrs. Fields had started her noon day meal and was cleaning the kitchen floor when she was stricken with apoplexy.  Miss Nedra Green, a granddaughter, was the first to discover her sad plight.  Miss Green was in an upper room and smelled the food burning.  Upon investigation she found her grandmother lying on the floor apparently unconscious, so she immediately telephoned Mr. Fields at the store and called Mrs. John Buck from across the street.  Dr. McNabb was summoned as were the daughters, Mrs. Hendershott and Mrs. Green, but loving hands and medical skill could render only slight relief and in about an hour the stricken one passed away.

Although Mrs. Fields had been in poor health for several years, her death is a terrible blow to her family and her wide circle of friends.  She was a member of the Christian Church and of the W. C. T. U. of this city; but her home and her family was her shrine.  The bereaved family have this sympathy of the entire community.

The funeral services were held at the late residence on Washington avenue, Tuesday afternoon at 2:30, Rev. John Roberts officiating.  Burial was made in Oak Grove cemetery.

Harriet, daughter of Angeline and David Faurot, was born in Angola, Ind., October 8, 1861, and at the age of 15 years she came to Michigan with her parents.  In St. Louis on November 30, 1878 she was united in marriage to Marshall Fields.  They have always resided in this city.  To this union two daughters, Mabel and Helen, and one son, William, were born.  The latter gave his life in defense of the Allies in the late World War.

Those who are left to mourn are the husband, two daughters, Mrs. Ed. Hendershott and Mrs. Wayne Green;  two sisters, Mrs. A. S. McIntyre and Mrs. M. E. Hull; one brother, V Faurot, and seven grandchildren, one daughter-in-law, Mrs. Nellie Fields, all of St. Louis.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *



January 22, 1923


Elizabeth Ann Lehmukuhle was born at Fort Jennings, Ohio, September 3, 1888, and died at her home northeast of Shepherd, Monday, January 22, 1923, at the age of 34 years, 4 months and 19 days.

In 1900 she was united in marriage to William Bendele.  To this union were born seven children:  Sylvester, who died at Otterville, Ohio on August 12, 1908, aged 10 months and 3 days.

Six small children are left to mourn for the care of a loving mother:  Silvernus, Jerome, Barbara, Celesta, Reatha and Agnes.

Besides a husband she is also survived by a father, who resides at Otterville, Ohio, one sister at Otterville, and one brother, J. A. Lehmkuhle of Coe.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             




One of Oldest and Most Highly respected Citizens Passes Away

August 6, 1923


Mary Ann Siegfried, youngest daughter of Stephen and Sarah Siegfried, was born at Lancaster, Pennsylvania on May 23, 1849.  At an early age she came with her parents to Michigan where they settled in Jackson County, first at Lobengler's Mill and then at Waterloo where Mr. Siegfried owned and ran the grist mill.

She was married on March 28, 1871 to H. D. Bent and they set up housekeeping at Ovid, Michigan, but after one year returned to Waterloo where Mr. Bent ran a farm.  Three years later they moved to Halstead, Kansas, from whence three years afterwards they were called to Michigan by the death of Mr. Bent's father.  In 1884 they moved to Salt River, Michigan, where they have since resided,  Mr. Bent being engaged in various businesses in the meantime.  Three daughters were born into this home:  Agnes Anna, Nora Dell and Trudie Belle.

Some three years ago while returning from Detroit, she suffered a stroke of paralysis and since that time vitality has not been what is was before the she has had the same determination and grit to hold up and do her best.  During the past two weeks was stricken with bowel and stomach trouble which so lowered her vitality that she slept peacefully away at 10:00 a.m. on  August 6th, 1923, aged 74 years, 2 months and 13 days. 

She leaves to mourn her departure, her husband, three daughters:  Mrs. Agnes Anna Lemen of Detroit,  Mrs. Nora Dell Estee of Shepherd, and Mrs. Tridie Belle Pool of Algonac, Mich., two granddaughters, five nephews, two nieces, and other relatives and her many friends.

Always strong in body and of loving disposition she entered into the activities of life always putting first things first, and has never known the time when she was not a Christian and in early childhood joined the Methodist Episcopal church of which she has been a faithful and loyal member these many years.  She was also diligent in her Ladies aid work.  during the past three years she had bravely borne her affliction, enjoyed the fellowship and companionship of those who dropped in to see her and has now gone to her reward.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



August 25, 1923


Guy E. Staley was born in 1895 and passed away August 25, 1923, aged 28 years, 9 months and 23 days.  On September 25, 1915, he was united in marriage to Ruth Bowen.  Two years after this union she preceded him to the great beyond, leaving him with one child.  In 1919 he was again united in marriage to Anna Hobson.  He leaves to mourn his departure a mother, wife, one child and six brothers and two sisters.

Services were conducted from the home Tuesday at 2:00 o'clock.  The legion attended in a body and conducted services at the grave.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             




February 4, 1923


Mrs. William Carnahan, a resident of this city for thirty-five years, died at her home on East Broadway Sunday, February 4th.  Mrs. Carnahan was a member of the Episcopal church and a charter member of the local chapter O. E. S., and also a charter member of the same order at Hubbardston, where she formerly lived.  She was active in the work of the lodge and in the social and church circles of the city until her failing health compelled her to give up her activities.

Nancy Proseus  was born in Sodus, N. Y. in 1848.  When but a small child, she came with her parents to Michigan, who located in Bloomer, Montcalm county, and later moving to Hubbardston.  It was here that she met Wm. Carnahan and was married to him in 1866.  Her husband's death occurred November 8, 1922.

Funeral services were held Tuesday, conducted by Rev. Hanthorne.

Charles Carnahan, a son, and Mrs. E. E. Palmer, daughter, are surviving members of the family.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



August 11, 1923


It is with deep regret that we write of the death of Mrs. George Bates, which occurred Saturday, the 11th of August.  She left home in the morning for Owosso, cheerful and full of life, when at five o'clock a telegram came stating the sad news that she had suddenly passed away.  She was of a kindly disposition always ready with a willing hand to help others in trouble, she will be greatly missed by her many friends in Mt. Pleasant, especially by her neighbors on east Broadway, where she had lived for nearly two years and learned to love her for her sunny disposition and cheery ways.

Our deepest sympathy is extended to the husband and little son.

Velma I. Hughson was born at Ionia, Michigan, October 29, 1896, married at Saginaw, Michigan December 2, 1916, to George Bates, departed this life August 11, 1923 at Owosso, at the age of 26 years, 9 months and 13 days.  She was a member of the Star Chapter No. 98.  She was a graduate of the Elsie High School, class of 1913, also a graduate of the Central Michigan Normal school at Mt. Pleasant.

She leaves to mourn her loss her mother and father, who reside at Yakima, Washington, her husband and one son, who is nearly two years of age and other relatives and a host of friends.

Funeral conducted Tuesday afternoon at the Leon Bates home in  this village.  Rev. Randall officiating, burial in Salt River cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *




July 27, 1923


Katherine Rebecca Hall, was born in Middlesex County, Ontario, Canada August 6, 1859 and died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Vera Munn of Arcadia township, Gratiot county on July 27th, 1923, aged 63 years 11 months and 21 days.  In early childhood she moved with her parents to Isabella County, Michigan and settled near Beal City.

She was married in November 1888 to Arthur E. Wilson and they moved to a farm at ROWLADER corners, west of Shepherd, where they have since resided.  Eight children were born to this union and all survive except Ezra, who died about four years ago at the age of 20 years, and Leroy, who died in infancy.

She leaves to mourn her departure, her husband, four daughters:  Mrs. Mabel Gaffner of Winn,  Mrs. Libbie Gates of Lincoln twp., Mrs. Gladys Townsend of Alma and Mrs. Vera Munn of Arcadia twp., two sons, Robert and George, of Lincoln twp,  one sister Mrs. Martha Gosline of Montana;  four brothers, Wesley of Mt. Pleasant,  Alfred B of North Dakota,  E. S. of Lake City, and John E. of Alberta, Canada; and 16 grandchildren besides her many friends.  It should also be noted that her mother died this summer at the age of 94 years.

She was a member of the Shepherd Methodist Episcopal church, the Ancient Order of Gleaners, and the Helping Hand Society.  Though failing in health for the past few years, she has been a patient sufferer.  she was a kind and loving mother, and her kind and even disposition won her the same of a good neighbor which means that those who knew her will have lost a loving friend.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



December 22, 1923


Mrs. Myron E. Hull passed away at her home in this city Saturday morning, December 22, after an illness of ten days.  At two o'clock on Monday afternoon her relatives and friends gathered at the house for a simple service.  the Rev. Mr. John Roberts of the Presbyterian church was in charge, while a tribute was read by the Rev. Mr. George Carl, pastor of the Church of Christ at the time that Mrs. Hull was a member there.  Interment was made in Oak Grove cemetery.

Although Mrs. Hull had not been in rugged health for some time, she had been active and able to continue her usual duties up till the time of her final brief sickness, so that it is hard for the community to realize that she is gone.

Lida Faurot was born in Lekonsha, Michigan May 15, 1855.  She was the daughter of David and Angeline Faurot.  When a small child she moved with her parents to Angola, Indiana, where the family resided for several years.  In the spring of 1878 Mr. & Mrs. Faurot came with their family to St. Louis and soon after took up their residence in the home on the north bank of the river which the Hull family have been occupying in the recent years.  In St. Louis the children of Mr. & Mrs. Faurot have all married and made their permanent homes.  In 1880 Lida Faurot was married to Myron E. Hull.  To them were born two daughters.  Besides the husband and daughters, Mrs. William Hawke and Miss Nina Hull, she is survived by one sister, Mrs. A. S. McIntyre and one brother, R. V. Faurot, and many nieces and nephews.  One sister, Mrs. Marshall Fields, preceded her only a few months ago.

Mrs. Hull was possessed of a gentle and lovable personality.  Her special gift lay in her ability to make her home a center of peace and cheer for all who came there.  Though she was interested in every movement for good in the town and nation, and able to converse intelligently on any subject of current interest, it is her home that now speaks most eloquently of her life of quiet helpfulness.  Hence a wide circle of sincere friends share the sorrow felt by her immediate family.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


May 6, 1923


John Philip Smith was born in the province of Ontario, Canada January 11, 1841, and departed this life at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Emma Bacon, 1025 South Main street, Mt. Pleasant, Michigan May 6, 1923, at the age of eighty-two years, three months and twenty-five days.

He was united in marriage to Miss Mary Kelly, November 3, 1860 and to this union was born ten children.  He was preceded in death by his wife in 1915, sons William in 1914, Walter in 1919, Charles in 1892 and three others who died in infancy.

He is survived by two sisters in Canada and four children:  Mrs. Ida Bacon, Judson W. and Eli Smith of Mt. Pleasant;  Mrs. Emma Hollister of twining, a host of grandchildren, great-grandchildren, other relatives and friends.

Mr. Smith came to Michigan about the year 1863, settled in the wilderness near Midland and has resided in the counties of Midland, Gratiot and Isabella ever since.  He was an industrious man and during his sojourn here he built up a nice home.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


February 18, 1923


Hannah Ferris was born in Binghamton, NY November 24, 1842, where she lived until she was 14 years of age when the family moved to Saginaw where they resided three years then moved to Isabella county, Michigan.

She was married to James V. Vliet in 1860 and moved to St. Louis immediately afterward, where she has since resided.  She was the first white woman married in Isabella County.  While there she became a member of the Christian church and has been a faithful worker in that church until her death on February 18, 1923, at the age of 81 years, 2 months and 24 days.

She leaves a son and his family, one brother, John Ferris and many friends to mourn her death.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *



A Highly respected Citizen of Jasper Township Passes Away

March 3, 1923


Nina Albro Pickett was born at Clawson, Oakland County, Michigan November 24, 1880, and died at her home at Mt. Pleasant Valley, Saturday, March 3, 1923, aged 42 years, 3 months and 7 days.  While still a small girl she moved with her parents to Norfolk, Virginia.  Here she lived through her childhood and youth and obtained her education at that place.  When she was about 20 years of age the family moved to Rutherfordton, North Carolina.  The following six years of her life were spent at that place, and spent the following year at Atlanta, Georgia.  Her schooling had trained her for business life and for the 10 years previous to her marriage she held many positions of prominence in the business world.

On August 15, 1908, she was married to Ralph Edgar Hitchcock at Pleasant Valley, where she has since resided.  To this union were born seven children:  James Oliver, Edgar Leroy, Clifford Ralph, Jessie Juauita, Hazel Albro, John Royce who died when he was about one year of age.  Besides the husband and children, she leaves to mourn her departure from this world, one brother, John Sylvester Prickett of Atlanta, Georgia, and a great many other relatives scattered throughout Michigan and also the many friends she has won in the various places in which she has lived.

The funeral was held at the home Tuesday afternoon, Rev. Broxholm officiating.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


March 21, 1923


Myrtle Lottie Brown was born in Jasper township, Midland county, Michigan on September 24, 1893, and died at the Bronstetter hospital at Mount Pleasant on March 21, 1923, aged 29 years, 6 months and 27 days.  She spent her child and youthful days in this vicinity and on November 28, 1914 was married to Claude H. Anthony, and since then they have resided at the Anthony homestead in Jasper township.  She was a member of the Shepherd Rebecca Lodge No. 199 and of the Grange, Cleaners and Lady Maccabee societies at Pleasant Valley.

She leaves to mourn her departure, her husband, two children,  Zora Fern and LaVerne J., her parents, Mr. and Mrs. George E. Brown,  three sisters, Mrs. Belle Yats of Lansing,  Mrs. Valva Christman of Pleasant Valley and Bettie, who is still at home, four brothers, L. J. of Middleton,  John J. of St. Louis,  Warren of Owosso and Wesley of Lansing, together with many other relative and a host of friends.

As a child, she was obedient and loyal to her parents, and she was a kind and loving wife and mother, and if she could not say well of any one, she did not say the other, and with a kind and even disposition won her way in her home and community.

The funeral services were held at the Pleasant Valley church and burial was in the Shepherd cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             




Hit In Stomach by Corner of Hayrack on His Way Home from Flint.

Derrill Struble

July 1923


Derrill Struble, the twenty-two year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Struble of Corunna, formerly of Mt. Pleasant, was fatally injured Friday afternoon in a peculiar automobile accident which occurred near Flint.

Several young men from Corunna and among them the Struble boy, who worked at Flint, had just started home in a car owned by John Harding when in turning out to pass a hayrack, young Struble was hit in the stomach by a corner of the rack.  He died Sunday at Hurley hospital where he was taken immediately after the accident.

Funeral services were held at the home Tuesday afternoon at 1 o'clock.  He leaves his parents, a brother, Delman and a sister Irene.

The Albert Struble family lived in Mt. Pleasant until four years ago and have many friends here who sympathize with them deeply in their bereavement.  The case is an unusually sad one as less than a year ago a seven year old son was killed by a train.

Relatives from Mt. Pleasant who attended the funeral are:  Mr. & Mrs. James Hunt, Mrs. Hunt, Mrs. French, Mrs. Daniels and Mrs. Hartgrove.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



Calls Another Old and Respected Pioneer to His Final Rest

James Struthers

February 15, 1923


Mr. James Struthers was born at Strathaven, Lanarkshire, Scotland January 20, 1846 and died at his home in Shepherd, February 15, 1923 at age 77 years and 6 days.

He came to America when he was 23 years of age and lived in Canada for one year and then came to Mason, Ingham County, Michigan, where he married Miss Marion Lacy April 4, 1874.  In 1875 they moved to Salt River, Isabella County when the country was part wilderness and they labored and cleared their farm until they built a fine home.

To them were born nine children of whom six are living, two died in infancy and Charles E., age 38 years, died four years ago.  Those living are:  Mrs. Agnes Myers of Shepherd,  William H. of Ralston, Washington,  Flora Hutchinson of Forest Hill,  Archie E. of Hatton, Washington, Anna Oswold of Pleasant Valley, and Irene E. Girven of Lansing. These children, many nieces and nephews, one brother Archie of the state of Washington, and his devoted wife who has shared his joys and sorrows for 49 years morn his departure.  He was a kind and loving husband and father, a good neighbor and friend and will be missed so much in his home and community where he lived so many years.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



October 7, 1923


Ansalem Jones Hamlin was born March 17, 1858 at Primrose, Fulton County, Ohio and departed this life at his home Tuesday, October 7, 1923, at the age of 66 years, 6 months and 21 days.

In the year 1876 he was united in marriage to Caroline Hibbard at Fayette, Ohio and four years later came to Michigan to the farm where he has since made his home.

To this union were born four children:  Mrs. A. D. Schoonover of Clare,  Mrs. Willard Walton of Gladwin,  Eli Hamlin with whom he has made his home the last few years, and Mrs. Myrtle Smith of Leslie.  He also leaves a sister, Mrs. Mary L. McCann and a brother, Lorenzo Hamlin, both of Alliance, Ohio.  Besides these, ten grandchildren and one great grandchild remain and a host of friends.

He was a kind and affectionate father and a cheerful and helpful neighbor, always making the best of every trial in a jovial manner.  He will be greatly missed by all those who knew him.

Funeral services were conducted by S. L. Randall, and burial at Salt River cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



January 28, 1923


Mrs. Nettie Estee died early Sunday morning, January 28, 1923, at the home of her sister, Mrs. Ella M. Field, at Lansing, Michigan after a long illness of paralysis and diabetes.

Nettie Campbell, daughter of James and Euphemia Campbell, was born December 8, 1860 at Shepherd, Michigan, living here until nine years ago, when she went to live with her sister.

She was united in marriage with Linus D. Estee, March 28, 1887, who passed away Sept. 6, 1907.

She was a member of the eastern Stars of Shepherd.

She leaves to mourn their loss a foster son, Claude H. Estee, one sister, Ella M. Field;  one niece, Vera Bronson;  five nephews, Lewis, Floyd and Orlando Hutchinson and Stanley and Hugh Stahlman.

Funeral services were held at the home at Lansing Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, Rev. C. Jefferas McComb officiating.

The remains were brought to Shepherd Wednesday, where interment was made in Salt River cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             




Peter VanVranken

November 1, 1923


Peter Van Vranken, the youngest son of John and Elizabeth Van Vranken was born in Fulton Co., New York September 14, 1829 and departed this life November 1, 1923 at the age of ninety four years, one month and eighteen days.

He enlisted in the Civil war in 1861 and served his country until 1863 when he was honorably discharged from service on account of sickness caused by exposure.

He was married to Catherine Sanford in 1864 and came to Michigan in 1866, locating in Mt. Pleasant, where he worked at the carpenter trade until 1874 when he moved on a farm in Coe township where he resided until his death.  His wife passed October 3, 1917.  They had four sons and two daughters, the eldest dying in infancy and the youngest at the age of twenty-one years.

He, with his wife, was converted to the Christian faith about 45 years ago under the ministry of Elder Cook.

He is the last member of a family of ten children.

Funeral service was conducted by Rev. Kimberling of St. Louis.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



July, 1923


Word came to this city Sunday morning from Cadillac that a St. Louis man had died suddenly in that vicinity.  He was partially identified by his pass book on the Commercial Savings Bank of this city.  After some delay it was determined that the man was Vin Sias, a grocery merchant of this city.  Mr. Sias left St. Louis very early Sunday morning to spend the day with his invalid wife in Traverse City.

Apparently all went well until he was three miles north of Cadillac.  He must have felt faint as he stopped his car in front of a farm house and started for the house.  As he was about four feet from it he collapsed.  The occupants rushed to assist him, and they say he breathed three or four times and expired.

As soon as the message was received here his three sons, Clayton, Aubry and Arlo, his two son-in-laws, Lee Barnum and Theodore LaButt with Adra Snyder left for Cadillac in Mr. Snyder's automobile.  They returned Monday noon with the body which was taken to the residence on Berea street.

The deceased was 62 years old and had been a grocery merchant in St. Louis for 28 years.  He is survived by an invalid wife who was unable to attend the funeral, two daughters, Mrs. Lee Barnum and Mrs. Theodore LaButt, three sons, Clayton, Aubry and Ario and nine grandchildren, all of this city.

Funeral services were held at the late home Wednesday morning at 10 o'clock, conducted by Rev. Simpson of Cedar Lake.  Burial was made in Oak Grove cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             




April 19, 1923


Edward R. White was born in Medina County, Ohio November 24, 1832 and died at his home in this village April 19, 1923, at the age of 90 years.

He was one of the old settlers of this vicinity having located one mile north of what is now Forest Hill in 1860 where he resided until about 20 years ago, when he moved to Alma.

He resided there till a few days before his death when he came to Shepherd to be near his sons.

In 1866 he was united in marriage to Almeda Ross.  To this union were born three daughters, all of whom preceded the father in death, and two sons, Orin E. and Ardie L., both of whom still reside in this vicinity.

Besides the two sons he is survived by his loving companion who for over three score years has shared his adversities and his prosperity.

The funeral was held Sunday afternoon at his home.  Interment in St. Louis cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



May 1923


Mrs. Simon Smith,  a former resident of this place, died at her home in West Virginia and the remains will be brought to this place tomorrow  (Friday) on the noon train for burial.  Funeral services will be held at the Christian church immediately after the arrival of the train.  Interment in Salt River cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



July 31, 1923


Noah Wilson Welch, well known in St. Louis and surrounding country, passed away at his late home near Durand Tuesday, July 31.  The deceased was born May 30, 1866, and lived in this community for about twenty years.  On April 17, 1895 he was married to Jennie Wilcox.  Two children were born to this union....Mrs Mildred Bruce and Warren Welch of Durand, who with the widow and aged mother, two sisters;  Mrs. Ollie Leonard of Monroe and Mrs. Lydia Balch and one brother, Dean Welch of St. Louis, and two grandchildren are left to mourn his going.  He was of a cheerful nature and dearly loved children.  He will be greatly missed by his friends and associates.  The deceased was a nephew of Noah Wilson, of this city, who is seriously ill at his home on Michigan avenue.  Mrs. Lydia Balch and son Floyd and brother, Dean Welch, left Wednesday to attend the funeral.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             




Old and Respected Citizen Dies at His Home in Shepherd

June 12, 1923


William, son of Samuel and Joan Brooks, was born in Seneca Co., Ohio May 10, 1855 and died at his home in Shepherd June 12, 1923, at the age of 68 years, 1 month and 2 days.

When he was 21 years old he came to Michigan.  In 1883 he was united in marriage to Jennie Buck.  to this union were born two children, Guy and Frank, both of Shepherd.

He spent his married life on farms near St. Louis and Shepherd until nine years ago when he sold his farm and moved to Shepherd where he has since resided.

He leaves to mourn his departure, a wife, two sons, a grandson, one sister, Mrs. James Leiby of Pontiac, Mich., and a brother, H. B. Brooks of Tiffin, Ohio, besides other more distant relatives and a host of friends.

He was a member of the I. O. O. F.

Funeral services were conducted by Rev. I. W. Kimberling and was largely attended by friends and brother Odd Fellows.  Interment in Salt River Cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



Mrs. Edmund Ashworth, Sr., dies at the Age of Four Score Years

(the hand written date on this newspaper clipping state Feb 15, 1923, but the death date

given in the article states she died Feb. 10, 1893???)


Carlinda C. Neeley, daughter of John and Rachel Neeley, was born in Liberty township, Jackson Co., Mich., on September 14, 1842, and departed this life at her home in Shepherd February 10, 1893, aged 80 years, four months and 26 days.  she spent her childhood at home with her parents and on January 1, 1867 she was married to Edmund Ashworth.

They journeyed immediately to Salt River, in Isabella county and there began housekeeping.  After five years they moved to London township, Ontario, Canada, where they lived for nine years before returning to Salt River, where they have since resided.

Her devoted husband is left to mourn the departure of his lifelong companion.

Four children were born to this union.  The oldest, Rose Hannah, who married Mr. Abram Swartout, died 24 years ago, but the three boys survive their mother:  Edmund L, resides here in Shepherd, while William N. lives in Homer township, Calhoun County, and Franklin H. lives in Cadillac.  She is also survived by one sister, Mrs. Melissa Cain of Jackson and one brother, George Neeley of Alma, besides 14 grandchildren and 11 great grandchildren, many nieces and nephews and a host of friends.

A woman of high ideals and splendid Christian character has gone to her reward.  Since she joined the Methodist church of Canada at Forest near London, she has been a faithful and conscientious worker for the Kingdom of God.  When she returned to Shepherd after her residence in Canada she helped to organize the Lady's Aid of the local church and suggested the name "Lady's Aid," after the woman's society of the Canadian church.

Funeral services were held at the home Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. Broxholm officiating.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             




Burial Services For Horace Parsons and Wife Held Saturday Afternoon

Feb 6 & 7, 1923


The funeral of Mr. and Mrs. Horace A. Parsons was held from their farm home south of Shepherd last Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock.

As stated before in these  columns, Mrs. Parson passed away on Tuesday evening, Feb. 6th at 10 p.m. and Mr. Parsons died Thursday morning Feb 7th at 2 a.m., their deaths occurring but 28 hours apart, from complications following an attack of the flu.

The funeral was set for last Thursday and was to have been held under the auspices of the Odd Fellows lodge of which Mt. Parsons was a member, but it was necessary to postpone it on account of the terrible storm and place the bodies in the vault at Salt River Cemetery.

Frances E. Robison, daughter of William and Julia Ann Robinson was born in Michigan City, Ind., Sept 5, 1853, and died Feb. 6, 1923. (the spelling of Robison/Robinson is as it appears in this article)

Horace A. Parsons, son of Leren and Parmela Parsons, was born in Tilfin, Ohio December 26, 1849 and died Feb. 7, 1923, aged 73 years, 1 month and 11 days.

To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Parsons two children were born, a daughter and son.  The daughter, Millie Parsons died 40 years ago at the age of three years.  The son, Glen W. still survives and lived with his parents on the old homestead at the time of their death.

Mr. and Mrs. Parsons had lived on the old farm which they homesteaded from the Government in 1856 for the past 65 years and were two of the few pioneers of those early days.

Aside from their son, Glen, and family, Mrs. Parsons is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Delia Boyd of St. Louis and Mrs. Irva Moulson who resides near Forest Hill, also a brother William Robinson living near Forest Hill.

Together they shared the hardships of the pioneer days and together they journeyed down life's highway, and together they embarked into the great beyond.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



February 11, 1923


Anna Strome, daughter of Jacob and Magdaline Strome, was born in Tuscarawas Co., Ohio February 22, 1843 and departed this life at the home of her youngest son, Ray Mullet, near Shepherd, Feb. 11, 1923.

She married Stephen J. Mullet and they journeyed overland from Ohio about 45 years ago and lived near St. Johns for about 10 years.

They then moved to Chippewa township and settled on a farm about six miles from Shepherd, where they continued to resided until about five years ago, when advancing age made it necessary that she make her home with the children, having been left a widow about 19 years ago.

She was the mother of 15 children, seven of whom survive:  Mrs. Mary Hixon of Alma,  Mrs. Melvy Keefer of Lansing,  Wm. G., Chas D. and Ray S. all of Shepherd,  Albert F. of Flint and Mrs. Clemmy Wolfe of Shepherd.  One brother and three sisters also survive, all residing in Ohio, besides 20 grandchildren and 24 great grandchildren.

Funeral services were held at the home of her son Saturday morning, Feb. 17th at 10 o'clock, Rev. Bailey officiating.  Burial in Chippewa cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


January 15, 1923


Sarah Elizabeth Stevenson was born June 10, 1857 at Dempseytown, Venango Co., PA, and died January 15, 1923 at the age of 65 years, 7 months and 5 days.

She was married July 3, 1876 to John H. Shouey, who departed this life October 19, 1909.  To this union five children were born, one of whom Rillie A. Frogett survives, the others dying in infancy.

Besides the daughter, she leaves two brothers and three sisters, other relatives and a host of friends to mourn their loss.

In early life, she with her husband and family, came to Salt River, now Shepherd, Michigan, where she lived at the time of her death.

She united with the Christian church a number of years ago, of which she was a firm believer.

she was always a loving mother and kind neighbor, always thoughtful of others welfare and happiness.

(the rest of this article is missing)


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



Causes The Death of Former Shepherd Girl in a Kansas Hospital

Mrs. Shirley Clark Birkett

November 1923


Mrs. Shirley Birkett, a former resident of this place and daughter of Sherwood Clark, who was killed in a railroad accident here thirty two years ago, died at a Velvedere, Kan., hospital last week of a peculiar disease known to the medical fraternity as Leukemia.

Acute Leukemia is a very rare disease characterized by an increase in the number of white blood cells over the red cells.  It is always fatal and there is no apparent cause for the disease, according to one of Mrs. Birkett's attending physicians.  Twelve of Wichita's physicians took a special in the case but there was no hope for her recovery.  She entered the hospital about a month ago, having no idea of her illness.

Funeral services were held last Friday morning.  she is survived by her husband, two daughters, Maurine and Jean and her mother, Mrs. W. W. Woods.  She was a niece of Mrs. Wm. Burnham of this village.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



Jesse Landon

March 11, 1923


Jesse Landon, a pioneer resident of Isabella county, passed away at his home in Chippewa township, Sunday, March 11th.  Mr. Landon was born in Isabella county and has lived her all his life.

In 1882 he united in marriage with Miss Lean Switzer, who passed away some years ago.

Three children survive him, one daughter, Mrs. Pearl Fenton of Oregon City, Oregon; and two sons, John of Minneapolis and Clarence of this city.

He is also survived by four brothers:  Palmer and Delbert of this city,  Alford of Tacoma, Wash., and George of Grand Rapids.

He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church from which funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. L. L. Hanthorne officiating.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


October 4, 1923


George E. Coomer, son of Claude and Ida Coomer, was born April 26, 1923 and died October 4, 1923, at the age of five months and seven days.  Funeral sermon by S. L. Randall and burial at Chippewa cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


March 28, 1923


Ruben Master, son of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Master, was born September 1882 and died March 28, 1923, age 40 years, 6 months and 19 days.  He was joined in marriage with Bertha Wood, October 25, 1912.  To them five children were born, one son and four daughters.  He was converted when eighteen years of age and has been a loyal Christian ever since.  He united with the Wesleyan church at Blanchard two years ago to which he has been a faithful and dutiful member until called to his reward.  He leaves to mourn his loss, a loving wife, five children, an aged father and mother, one brother, five sisters and a host of friends and relatives.

The funeral was held Saturday, March 31 at the Wesleyan church at Blanchard, conducted by the Rev. Worden Marstin and Woodruff.  The text used was Genesis, 5:24.  A large crowd gathered to pay their last respects to the departed.  He was laid to rest in the Blanchard cemetery to await the resurrection morn.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


April 23, 1923


Amos Wilsey, son of James and Lydia Wilsey, was born February 1, 1845 in Jackson Co., and passed away April 23, 1923 at his home.

In 1845 he moved with his parents to Isabella Co., where he made his home until about 28 years ago when he went west to California, where he lived for awhile then moving to Minnesota and Canada.

About five years ago he came home to live with his brother, Huffman, who passed away July 14, 1922.

He has since lived with his nephew Charles.  Amos leaves one brother, one niece and nephew and family.

(the rest of this article is missing)


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


March 21, 1923



Beatrice Consuello Fisher, daughter of Ralph and Anna Fisher, was born at Leaton, October 15, 1901.  She entered the Christian experience and worked in 1914, while living in Des Moines, Iowa, first in the U. B. church then in the Grace Methodist church, being transferred from there to Mt. Pleasant, then to Leaton.

She has always been a highly respected young woman and held in the highest esteem by her friends and was a willing helper wherever opportunity offered.  She has twice been elected treasurer of the Winner class in the Leaton Sunday school, which office she held at the time of her death.

She has been a sufferer from an abscess in her lung for several years enduring it all with patience and cheerfulness to the end.  Her bible has been her constant companion and unfailing comfort.  she passed away over the river Wednesday morning, March 21 at 7:15 at the home of her grandfather, L. Cole, the place where she was born, aged 21 years and 5 months, in calm confidence of meeting her God and Savior.

She leaves her parents, two sisters and many other relatives and friends to mourn her early departure.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



Held Offices in County a Number of Years - Died at Home of Daughter

Joseph A. Struble

January 16, 1923


Joseph A. Struble died quite suddenly at the home of his daughter, Mrs. A. J. Olsen, Wednesday morning as the result of a stroke.  He lived but one hour after he was taken seriously ill.

He was a pioneer of Isabella county, and was well known throughout the county.  He was a good friend to all who knew him.

He was supervisor of Chippewa township for a number of years and was also treasurer of the same township.  After moving to Mt. Pleasant in 1914, he acted as one of the superintendents of the poor.  He also held the office of county agent from which office he resigned two years ago.

Funeral services will be held Friday afternoon at 1 o'clock at the Methodist church, Rev. Kittle of Alma will officiate.


Joseph A. Struble was born January 16, 1848 in the state of Ohio, and died January 16, 1923, at the age of seventy-five years.

He moved to Isabella county with his parents when seventeen years of age.  He was united in marriage with Lucretia T. Grinnell, December 20, 1867, to which union five children were born, three of whom are now living. 

He moved with his family to Mt. Pleasant in 1914.  Since the death of his wife in 1916 he has made his home with his daughter, Mrs. A. J. Olsen.

He is survived by three children:  Mrs. Nellie Hardgrove and Mrs. A. J. Olsen of Mt. Pleasant and Albert of Corunna.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



Sam Merwin Dies at the Age of Eighty Four Years

July 1923


Sam Merwin, an old civil war veteran who has resided in this vicinity for years was found dead at his bachelor home in the north part of town last Friday evening.

Neighbors had noticed him for several hours sitting in an easy chair in the storm house which had been built over the door to his home and at last became suspicious that all was not well with him and Mr. Folks investigated and found him dead.

He notified coroner Abbott who made an investigation and decided he had been dead for some hours, evidently from heart trouble.

Mr. Merwin was 84 years of age May 1st last, and was a well known character of this vicinity.  As a Civil War veteran he drew a pension of $72 per month and many are of the opinion that he had accumulated some money but at present time only about $100 in money and deposit slips has been located.

Mrs. Daily, a niece of Niles and only known living relative, with her husband were present at the funeral which was held at the Christian Church Monday forenoon, burial at Salt River cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


May 30, 1923


Henry E. Murphy was born in Senaca County, NY on August 18, 1844 and died at the Soldier's Home at Grand Rapids on May 30, 1923, aged 78 years, 8 months and 12 days.  He came to Michigan when still a small boy and enlisted in the army at the age of 18 years.  He served four years, beginning in 1861 and for many years was a member of the Ashley Post of the G. A. R.

He was married to Geraldine E. Buck on December 25, 1866, and for some time resided in Clinton county.  His wife died a number of years ago and was laid to rest in Salt River cemetery and his body was brought back here and laid beside that of his wife.

To this union were born three children, all of whom survive:  Albert S. and William H. Murphy, both of Toledo, Ohio and Mrs. Roy Sawyer of Lansing, Michigan.  these together with other relatives mourn the loss of him who has departed from this life.

Burial services was held at the cemetery Saturday afternoon with Rev. John W. Broxholm officiating.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



June 23, 1923


Pearl Jenette MacPhee was born June 5, 1911 at Toledo, Ohio and died June 23, 1923 at the home of her parents in Lansing at the age of twelve years and eighteen days.

The early years of her life were spent in Shepherd at the home of her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. W. B. Wetherbee.  About a year ago her parents moved to Lansing, here with her sweet smile and winning ways she soon made friends both in school, church and Sunday school, which she attended faithfully and proved an inspiration to all by her readiness to help in any way possible.  She was a member of the choir and secretary of the Junior League.  Her illness started about five weeks ago with an attack of measles, complications soon followed which despite the best of medical attendance and loving care, ended her brief young life.

Funerals services were held at the home in Lansing on Monday, conducted by Rev. John P. Jockinson of the Pilgrim Congregational Church and the remains were brought to Shepherd on Tuesday.

Services were conducted at the grave by Rev. Kimberling of Coe.  Six boys acted as pall bearers and many of her young friends were in attendance.  The esteem in which she was held was evidenced by the wealth of flowers sent by loving friends both here and in Lansing.  She leaves to mourn, her parents, grandparents, a brother and other relatives and a host of friends.  Interment in Salt River cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


October 27, 1923


Death entered the home of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Audlin of the west side, Saturday morning, October 27, and took their only son, Thomas Edward, after a long and severe illness.  He was eighteen years and six months of age, having been born in Union twp, April 30, 1905. 

He leaves his father and mother and one sister to mourn their loss, but they find consolation in the fact that he had made ready and went without fear.

The sympathy of friends and relatives for the bereaved parents was made manifest by a great profusion of beautiful flowers.

The funeral was held at the home Monday afternoon, Rev. Whitney of Farwell, conducting the services.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *


March 30, 1923


Wesley Hutchinson, infant child born to Mr. and Mrs. Cleveland Hutchinson, Friday March 30, lived only a few hours.  The funeral was held Saturday with interment in Salt River cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


February 12, 1923


Harriet Thurlow was born in England, October 3, 1853 and departed this life Feb. 12, 1923 at the age of 69 years, 4 months and 9 days.

She was united in marriage to Chris Snyder on December 5, 1875.  To this union five children were born, three dying in infancy.  She leaves a husband, two children:  Mrs. Fred Miller of near Alma and John Snyder of Mt. Pleasant, ten grandchildren; one sister in Newark, Ohio and a sister and brother in Toledo, Ohio to mourn their loss.

Mr. and Mrs. Snyder moved from Perrysburg, Ohio nineteen years ago and have resided on a farm in Chippewa twp. since. (the rest of this article is missing)


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


January 1923


Anna Loretta Divelbiss was born February 20, 1863 at Fulton Co., PA., and departed this life Jan. 1923, aged 59 years, 10 months and 29 days.

On Feb. 24, 1887 she was united in marriage to William S. Rearick of Fremont, Ohio.  to this union were born five children, one dying in infancy.

The early part of her life was spent at Clyde, Ohio, until sixteen years ago, they moved with their family to Michigan where they have since resided.

In Dec., 1906, she and her daughters were baptized and united with the Christian church at Clyde, Ohio.

She leaves to mourn their loss, a husband W. S. Rearick;  three daughters, Mrs. Daisy Hafer and Mrs. Ethel Hafer of Dayton, Ohio and Mrs. Carl Baughman of Shepherd, and a son Robert Rearick of Alma.  She is also survived by a mother, Mrs. Mary Divelbiss of Shepherd, an aunt, four brothers, four sisters, other relatives and a host of friends to mourn their loss.

She was a kind and loving wife and mother, a good neighbor, always thoughtful of every one.  she will be greatly missed by all who knew her.

**(Thank You Cards from:  W. S. Rearick, Mrs. Ethel Hafer and family,  Mrs. Carl Baughman and family,  Mrs. Robert Rearick and family and Mrs. Daisy Hafer and family.)


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



Allen E. Clark Dies as the Result of Injuries received Last Week

May 4, 1923


Allen E. Clark died at Bronstetters hospital at an early hour last Friday morning from effects of an automobile accident which occurred last Thursday afternoon.

Mr. Clark was taken immediately to the hospital where every attention was given but the injuries proved more serious than was at first believed and he never regained consciousness.

Allen E. Clark was born at Potsdam, St. Lawrence Co., NY on February 8, 1854, and departed this life May 4, 1923, at the age of 69 years, 2 months and 26 days.

When about seven years of age his parents moved from New York State to Salt River in Isabella county, Michigan.  Here he spent his boyhood days.  He was married on May 10, 1879 to Miss Phena Austin and they began housekeeping on a farm just south of the corners tow miles east of Salt River.  They have not lived here very long before they went to Reed City, where he worked in a lumber yard.  In a year and a half he returned to Salt River and with Mr. B. W. Orser ran a lumber mill for a time.  After a few years he established a lumber yard in shepherd in partnership with his brother, Sidney.  Soon he became sole owner of the yard having purchased the interest of his brother.  This yard he continued to run until he sold the business to F. J. Brattin and Son in January 1915.  About a year later he organized the Rosebush Lumber co., which he has since been a member.  Though retiring from the active business life of Shepherd when he sold his lumber yard here, he retained his residence and also his interest in the Commercial State Bank, of which he was vice president and fifth director in point of service, when he died.

He leaves to mourn his departure a wife, one brother Robert of Shepherd, one sister, Mrs. Anna Balch of Grand Rapids, 8 nieces and 8 nephews, besides many other relatives and a multitude of friends.

As a man Mr. Clark will be missed from our community because he has identified himself in many ways with community life.  Chief among his interests was his church with which he united by letter on March 13, 1892.  He was a faithful and loyal member to it's interests and was a member of the board of trustees and superintendent of the Sunday School at his death.  H was also a member of the Masonic and Odd Fellow orders of Shepherd.  Fora number of years he was village president.  In his home he was kind and loving,  and this can also be said of his relations with all who knew him.  He was a lover of young people and many a kindness done in the past is remembered now by the recipient of such favor.  In fact there is no community interest but what will miss from our midst our beloved brother and friend.

Funeral services were held at the Methodist church Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock and was very largely attended.  Rev. Broxholm officiated with interment in Salt River Cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


July 5, 1923


Georgia Blakesley was born March 9, 1896 in Arcadia twp., Gratiot county, Mich., and died July 5, 1922 at her residence in St. Louis, Mich.

On April 22, 1918 when was united in marriage to Saul E. Sharp, in St. Louis, Mich., having resided here since that time.

To mourn their loss are her husband, mother, two brothers and four sisters living:  Clifford All Blakesley and Charles Brighton Blakesley, whereabouts unknown;  Jennie Bridgewater of Ind., Ethel Burgraff of Ithaca, Mich., Flossie Collins of Detroit,  Mrs. Grace DeRusha of Alma and also a large circle of friends and acquaintances.

Funeral conducted from the Baptist church by the pastor.  Interment in Oak Grove cemetery at St. Louis, MI.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



Jan 29, 1923


Word was received here of the death of Mrs. Minnie Neuman, of consumption on Jan. 29, at her home in Belding.  Mrs. Neuman was formerly Minnie Robinson of this place.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



A. C. Thomas Passes Away at his Home southeast of Shepherd

July 27, 1923


This community was greatly shocked last Friday afternoon at the announcement that C. A. Thomas had died at his farm home one mile south of Stumps corners.

Mr. Thomas received injuries a few weeks ago when his team ran away with a load of hay, but had apparently recovered from the effects of the accident.

He was not feeling very well last Friday morning and remained about the house during the forenoon.  In the afternoon he and Mrs. Thomas was in the garden picking berries when he was taken apparently with attack of the heart.  He soon revived sufficiently so that with the assistance of Mrs. Thomas they reached the lawn when he was unable to go farther and she summoned assistance to get him to the house.  A messenger was immediately dispatched for a physician but before he could arrive Mr. Thomas had passed away.

Clifford A. Thomas was born in Miami County, Ohio on April 8, 1855 and departed this life on July 27, 1923 ate 67 years, 3 months and 19 days.  He grew to manhood at his birthplace and when he was twenty years of age went with his parents to DarkeCounty, Ohio.  This was his home until he married though in the meantime he had worked in various places in Ohio, having spent some time in Springfield and also in a nursery at Troy.

He was married to Retha B. Branton at Ausonia, Ohio on December 7, 1897.  Afther the customary visiting of relatives they settled in Chicago where they lived for four years, during which time (Sept 1, 1899) Lowell B. was born.  In the spring of 1902 they moved back to their farm in Darke county.  Here two more children were born.  Ralph W. on June 8, 1903 and Vida H. on Aug. 5, 1905.

In the spring of 1911 they moved to Isabella County, Mich., and settled on the present farm, southwest of Shepherd, which has been their home since that time.  Here Mr. Thomas has made a place for himself in the community life and tho of retiring nature leaves an influence for the best and highest things in life.  In 1914, under the preaching of Rev. J. W. Mahood, during the pastorate of Rev. Charles E. Davis, he surrendered his life to Christ and since that time has been a faithful and loyal attendant of the Shepherd Methodist Episcopal church.

This is the first break of family ties and thus he leaves the immediate family to mourn his departure from the homelike where all was peace and happiness.  Also to share the sorrow, are two sisters, Mrs. Cora Wilson of Conray, Ohio and Mrs. Lula Jones of Ft. Wayne, Ind., three brothers, William of Ft. Wayne, Ind., Elmer of Detroit, and Arthur of Summit City, Mich., one uncle Chas. Kerr of Los Angeles, Calif., three aunts, Mrs. Lattie Slade and Mrs. Louis Free of Danville, Ill. and Mrs. Mattie Jones of Missouri - 13 nieces and nephews besides many friends.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



May 30, 1923


Edith Mae Wells was born at Edmore, Mich., the 24th day of November, 1884.  She lived in this locality about thirteen years, when she moved with her parents to Deerfield twp., this county, where she lived until her marriage to George Kniffen, December 3, 1902.  To this union was born two boys;  Harold and Raymond, who with her husband, mother, sister Mrs. Lottie Comstock of Ionia, and five brothers:  Fred, Joe, Henry, Floyd and Howard Wells of Greenville, Mich., are left to mourn their loss.

Having lived in this locality all her life she leaves hosts of friends, who will remember her as a devoted wife and mother, and as one ever ready to lend a helping had where needed.  She was a member of the A. O. O. G., in which organization she took an active part.  She has been in poor health for the past four or five years, departing this life May 20, 1923........(rest of this article is missing)


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             




May 22, 1923


Walter F. Roethlisberger, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Roethlisberter passed away at Brondstetter hospital at Mt. Pleasant Tuesday noon, May 22,1923, after a week's illness, resulting from operation for appendicitis.

He was born in Isabella County on July 21, 1909.  He leaves a father, mother, one brother, Harold, two sisters Mabel and Bernice, grandparents and many other relatives and friends to mourn his departure.

The funeral was largely attended and was held from the Weidman M E Church, Friday, at 10 o'clock, Rev. A. G. Larkey officiating.  The body was laid to rest in Riverside cemetery at Mt. Pleasant.

Those from away who were present were:  John Roethlisberger of Saginaw,  Cass Pardee of Fowlerville,  Mr. and Mrs. James Pardee and family of Howell,  Wm. Pardee of Howell, Mrs. John Walsh of Oak Grove and Claude Lentz of Howell.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



February 19, 1923


Mrs. S. C. Forney died at the Forney country home in Union twp., Monday, Feb. 19, after an illness of but a few days duration of peritonitis.  Brief services were held at the home Tuesday forenoon.  The body was taken to her former home at Dixon, Ill. for burial.


Hazel Hoyle Forney was born at Elvena, Ill., April 1, 1889.  She later moved with her parents to Dixon, Ill.

She was united in marriage to S. C. Forney twelve years ago.  To this union five daughters were born.

She came with her husband to Isabella county three years ago.

She is survived by her husband and five daughters:  Elva, Florest, Bernice, Belva and Jeannette.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



November 1923


Mrs. Bannah Elvira Smith (Bannah is the way this name is listed in this obit), age 79 years and 22 days, she had once lived in Shepherd nine years.  She was a strong believer in God.  She was born in Clinton Co., Ohio, which was her home until she was married to Mr. William Claybaugh in 1865, they lived together until his death which took place Sept. 20, 1910.  She then came to shepherd, where she afterwards married Mr. Nathan Smith of Howell.

Funeral was held at the Christian church, conducted by S. L. Randall, burial at Salt River cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



November 30, 1923


John Duet Cline was born in Ravenswood, Virginia on November 16, 1854, and died in Brainard's Hospital at Alma, November 30, 1923, at the age of 69 years and 14 days.

He was married to Louisa Jane Brannon in May, 1880.  To this union were born eight children, seven of whom are living, Hilda Leona having died at the age of four and one half years.

He leaves to mourn, his wife and seven children:  Samuel at home,  Mrs. Dora Church of Vestaburg,  Mrs. Myrtle Demoray of Summerton, James Cline of Chelsa,  Mrs. Verna Loudenslager of Mason,  Albert and Almond Cline of St. Louis, besides 13 grandchildren.

Funeral conducted by Rev. Kimberling of St. Louis.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             




Chest of Nine Year Old Lad is Crushed When Horse Steps On Him

August 1923


Franklin De Bie was killed instantly last Thursday when he was thrown in front of the horse he was riding and the horse stepped on the boy's chest and crushed it.

Franklin and his elder brother, Joseph, were riding horses out to the pasture when the sad accident occurred.  In swinging around a corner Franklin, who was only nine years old and was unable to hold his horse, lost his balance and fell from the horse.  As he kept hold of the reins when he fell he was pulled in front of the running horse, where he met instant death when the horse stepped on him.

He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Edmond De Bie of Chippewa twp., and had one brother and five sisters.

Funeral services were held at the E. V. Church Saturday afternoon with burial in Chippewa cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


August 27, 1923


William Sherman Beard was born in Findlay, Ohio, June 15, 1866, and died in Pontiac, Mich., at the home of Mr. & Mrs. Frank E. Randolph, August 27, 1923.

He leaves his wife, Mrs. Maude Beard, and one daughter, Mrs. Grace Raycraft, of St. Louis, Mich.  One daughter in early infancy preceded him to the eternal world.  Four brothers, two sisters and numerous other relatives survive him.

Taking membership with the Christian Church at Coe village when a young man he continued all his life in it's fellowship.

Funeral services were held Thursday at the Coe Church, conducted by Rev. Thibos of Saginaw, assisted by Rev. Kimberling of Coe and Rev. Roberts of the Presbyterian Church of St. Louis.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


October 30, 1923


Joseph Forquer passed away October 30, 1923, at his late home on East High street, at the age of 71 years, 7 months, and 10 days, having suffered a stroke of apoplexy.

Joseph Forquer, son of Thomas and Pleasant Forquer, was born in Reading, Mich., Mar 20, 1852.  At the age of twenty-five years he was united in marriage to Alfretta Beck or Peck (hard to read), making their home in Alma until her death one year later.  On February 22, 1881 he was married to Elvina Courser of Rolland twp.  To this union were born six children, one dying in infancy.  He leaves to mourn their loss a wife, two sons, Ray of Lansing, and Ward of Mt. Pleasant,  three daughters, Mrs. Robert Barnard of Ann Arbor,  Mrs. George Paige of Deerfield, and Mrs. Herb Woodruff of Bloomfield, eleven grandchildren, two brothers, Reason of Sumner and Thomas of Los Angeles, Calif.  He also leaves a host of relatives and friends to mourn their loss.

He was a kind, loving husband and father and will be greatly missed by all who knew him.  He was a well known and respected citizen throughout the country.

The funeral was held at the home on Friday, November 2, with Rev. C. B. Hawkins officiating and burial was in the Riverside cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


October 4, 1923


Alice J. Conlogue was born August 13, 1852 at Mayfield, Ohio and died October 4, 1923 at Conneaut, Ohio. When a year old she moved with her parents to Kendallville, Indiana, where she lived until her marriage to Victor F. Conlogue November 2, 1871.  They moved to Clare, Michigan on the old Hey farm early in 1872, and a year later bought a farm in Lincoln twp., living there until 1886.  At that time they moved to Mt. Pleasant, where Mr. Conlogue engaged in the agricultural business.

She was a charter member of the ladies' library and was librarian for a number of years.  She was also a charter member of the W. R. C. and was a Maccabee.

In 1904 she joined the Episcopal church.  She was always active in church affairs.

She leaves two daughters, Mrs. F. M. Pease of Conneaut , Ohio and Mrs. B. L. Axford of Owosso;  a granddaughter Ruth Axford of Owosso and two brothers, F. M. and Forest E. Field and one sister, Mrs. Maude Throckmorton, all of Kendallville, Indiana.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



June 21, 1923


Maud Weller was born in Parma, Jackson county, September 9, 1869, and came to Isabella county with her parents in 1876, and lived here the balance of her life excepting a few years that she lived with her sister in Zanesville, Ohio.

She was married to Thomas Lawrence thirty-four years ago.  To them were born two sons.  She departed this life at Grace hospital, Detroit, Thursday evening, June 21st.  She leaves to mourn her loss, her husband and two sons, two grandchildren, her aged father, fours sisters and one brother and many friends.  Funeral services were held at the Methodist church, Rev. L. L. Hanthorne officiating.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


August 23, 1923


Norma Donalda Pickens, daughter of clixoed and Libbie Pickens, was born February 27, 1923 and was taken to the fold of the tender Shepherd August 23, 1923, aged five months and twenty-seven days.  Her sweet presence brightened the home for only a few months and then God took her where she will ever be an unspeakably precious drawing influence to her loved ones who remain.  Some day we shall see our darling again.  She leaves to mourn her loss a little sister, mother and father, grandparents and a host of other relatives.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



July 1923


M. C. Lathrop and wife were called to Jackson Monday by the serious illness of Mr. Lathrops daughter.  She died Tuesday morning and the remains were brought to Owosso where the funeral is being held today.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



July 6, 1923


Jennie C. Hirst was born at Eagle Creek, Lake County, Indiana August 6, 1861 and passed away at her home in Mt. Pleasant, Mich., July 6, 1923.

March 12, 1830 (misprint??), she was united in marriage with Silas J. Vreeland of Farwell, Michigan.  to this union four children were born, two passing away in their childhood.

She leaves one son, Bird Vreeland of Mt. Pleasant and a daughter, Mrs. Ila List and two step daughters, Mrs. Ina Marzoff of Manistee and Mrs. Clara Eberhart of Detroit and two grandchildren of Hatton, Mich., beside other relatives and friends who will miss her very much.

Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at the home.  Rev. Morgan officiating, with burial in Farwell cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *






© 1999 - 2009  Donna Hoff-Grambau
All Rights Reserved