April 8, 1922


Sad indeed was the death of Mrs. Georginna Francisco Van Wie, which occurred at her late Elk Rapids home a short time ago.

Although she had been ill two or three days, no one thought she was in a serious condition and were both shocked and grieved when news of her death came.

She leaves to mourn her loss a husband and five children,  her parents, Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Francisco, and one brother, Harry Francisco.

Funeral services were held Monday afternoon, April 10th, conducted by Rev. Chas. Daniels.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


April 4, 1922


Lewis Marion Ellsworth was born in Tuscola County, October 2, 1866, and departed this life at his home at 132 Harris street, Mt. Pleasant on April 4, 1922, at the age of 55 years, 6 months and 2 days.

He leaves to mourn his departure a wife, father, sister and a step-son and a host of friends.  He was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Rebekahs and the Ancient Order of Gleaners.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             







Origin of Flames That Caused Grim Tragedy Tuesday Morning Not Known


The two sons of Mr. & Mrs. Howard Woodmansee,  Ward, age 8 years and Dale, age 8 months, were burned to death, Tuesday morning about 9 o'clock, when their farm home, 3-/14 miles northwest of the city, was completely destroyed by fire, the origin of which is undetermined.  Mr. and Mrs. Woodmansee had left eh children in the living room, Dale in his high chair and Ward at play, while they went to the chicken house to do a few minutes work.  there was only one fire in the house, that in the heating stove in the living room.  Mr. Woodmansee had closed all the drafts, excepting the lower one, which he left open, with instructions to Ward to close if it should become to warm in the room for them, before the parents returned.  This function Ward was in habit of performing.  The parents had been in the chicken house but a few minutes, estimated by them, not more than ten, when Mrs. Woodmansee heard the cries of the older child.  They immediately ran to the house and found it in flames.  Brave attempts were made by both parents and neighbors to rescue the children, all efforts were futile, as the flames had gained such headway that rescue was impossible.  Mr. Woodmansee was severely, although not seriously, burned on the face and neck.  The baby could be seen in it's chair, from the windows, and a garden rake was used in an effort to drag it from the fiery furnace, but to no avail.

The origin of the fire cannot be accounted for, whether an explosion occurred or whether the upper part of the house was on fire before the parents left it, or otherwise, will undoubtedly never be known.  The house was a small frame structure with no upper rooms.  It had been built of pine lumber, and had stood a great many years.  The house with it's contents was partially covered by insurance.

The charred remains of the little ones were found, the baby where it's chair had fallen, the older one had apparently gone from the living room, through the kitchen and into the pantry where it had evidently fallen under the work table.

Mr. Woodmansee, is the son of Mrs. Mary Woodmansee, who resides with him, and had only last week gone to Ann Arbor to do practical nursing.  Mrs. Woodmansee is the daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Lew Behler of this city.  Ward and Dale were the only children of the Woodmansees.

For the present the grief stricken parents are living at the farm home of Mrs. Woodmansee's grandparents,

Mr. & Mrs. Cass Curtiss.

A private funeral ceremony is to be held this afternoon at 2 o'clock for Ward and Dale Woodmansee, sons of Mr. & Mrs. Howard Woodmansee, at the home of the Grandfather, Lew Behler on W. Washington Ave.

Rev. Yinger will officiate.  Interment will be made in Oak Grove Cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



Charles Stillwill & Anna Stillwill Suzor

January 12, 1922 & January 13, 1922


Monday afternoon, at the Methodist church, was held a funeral service for Charles Stillwill and his daughter, Mrs. Suzor.

Charles Stillwill was born in Midland county, Michigan, November 30, 1849, and departed this life January 12, 1922.  He leaves a wife, four sons and five daughters, two brothers, one sister and twelve grandchildren and many friends.

Anna Stillwill was born in Michigan March 25, 1896, and departed this life January 13, 1922.  She was married to Edward Suzor February 27, 1920.  She was a faithful member of the Nazarene church where she was a Sunday school teacher.  She leaves a husband, mother, four brothers and five sisters, besides many friends.  Rev. L. L. Hanthorne officiated.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *



June 12, 1922


Little Thayer Johnson died at the home of his grandparents, Mr. & Mrs. S. Johnson, last Sunday morning at 10:30, as a result of an abscess on his lungs.  He was two years old.

He leaves his mother, Mrs. Johnson, and his grandparents.

Funeral services were held from the house Tuesday afternoon, Rev. Hanthorne officiated.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



November 24, 1922


Sarah Kelly was born in DeKalb County, Ind., October 8, 1853, living there until about 21 years old, when she came with her mother, brothers and sisters to Michigan.

She was united in marriage at the age of 22 to James Flansburg.  To this union seven children were born.

Mrs. Flansburg passed away November 24, being 69 years,  1 month and 16 days of age.  She leaves to mourn their loss her loving husband, four children, 15 grandchildren, besides a host of other relatives and friends.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             




Mrs. Allie Holl & Mrs. Cleveland

June 7, 1922


Death visited this community in two different homes last Tuesday.  Mrs. Allie Holl passed away at 10 a.m. at her sister's home, Mrs. Flory.  She has been a patient sufferer for nearly a year.

Mrs. Cleveland passed away Tuesday night at her daughter's home, Mrs. Floyd Fouch.  Mrs. Cleveland has been a great sufferer for years, and was very patient through it all.  The friends and relatives have the sympathy of this entire community.....(the rest of this article is missing).


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



September 28, 1922


We were all grieved to hear of the death of Raymond Crotzer who died Thursday morning, September 28th.

A private funeral was held at the home and interment was made in the Chippewa cemetery.  The neighborhood extends their deepest sympathy to the bereaved family. (the rest of this article is missing)


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *




November 9, 1922


Last Thursday afternoon George Hook, who resides northeast of Shepherd, was taken very suddenly ill on our streets and was taken to the hotel and Dr. Leonard, the Chiropractor was summoned and gave Mr. Hook a treatment and he soon recovered so that he was able to sit in a chair out in front and was conversing with friends, when his son, Anzie, and wife arrived.  He became somewhat excited and passed away almost instantly.



George Wellington Hook, for many years a resident of Chippewa township, died very suddenly of organic heart trouble, on Thursday, November 9th, at the age of 59 years, 7 months and 18 days.

He was the son of Mary E. and Conrad Hook, old residents and early settlers of this county.  He was born March 21, 1863.  He married on March 21, 1883 to Rosa Erick, also of Isabella County.  Three children were born to this union, one daughter, Mrs. Geraldine Griffeth of this place and two sons, Willie Hook of Alma, and Auzie Hook of this place with whom he made his home up to the time of his death.

The funeral was held at the home Sunday, November 12, Rev. Baily, pastor of the Evangelical church officiating.

He was laid to rest in the Chippewa Cemetery by the side of his father, mother and a brother who preceded him to  the great beyond.  He leaves to mourn his loss, the daughter and husband, the two sons and their wives, six grandchildren, an aunt, Mrs. Susan Hoyt of Alma, numerous cousins and a large circle of friends.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



July 14, 1922


Huffman, son of James and Lydia Wilsey, was born in Jackson County, December 13, (clipping says 1747 but am sure this is a misprint), 1847 and departed this life July 14, 1922.

He moved to Isabella County with his parents in 1854 and has resided in this vicinity ever since.

He was united in marriage to Flora Baughman on December 29, 1871.  To this union were born four children:  Lewis, Nellie M., Charles F. and Grace E., the two former dying in infancy.

The wife and mother departed this life July 21, 1883.

February 13, 1893 he was again united in marriage to Blora A. Bollin, who departed this life April 15, 1919.

He leaves to mourn their loss two children,  Charles J. and Grace E., and two brothers, Amos and Lester, all of Shepherd, also a host of friends.

Mr. Wilsey was an honored past grand of the Shepherd I. O. O. F. and this order attended the funeral in a body and conducted the services to the cemetery.

The funeral was held at the home Sunday afternoon, conducted by the Rev. L. W. Kimberling, with interment in Salt River Cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


July 14, 1922


Bessie Pearl Norton, daughter of John and Mame Norton, was born June 9, 1903 at St. Louis, Missouri and passed away as a result of an accident July 14, 1922 at Lansing, Michigan where she has been living for the past 6 years.  Previously to this, her home has been in Isabella County, her parents having moved here when she was about a year of age.

She leaves to mourn her early departure, her father and mother, two brothers:  Samuel J. and Jason, and one sister, Mrs. Maude Owens of Royal Oak, besides other relatives and a large circle of friends.

Eight young ladies from Lansing dressed in white acted as her pall bearers and six young ladies carried the floral tributes.  Interment was at Salt River cemetery.  Rev. H. W. Ellinger officiated.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


July 30, 1922


Martha J. Leonard Wood, daughter of David and Sarah Leonard, was born July 28, 1842 in Green Co., PA., and departed this life July 30, 1922, being eighty years and four days old.  She was the last of a family of six children, four brothers:  William, John, Silas and Merrit and one sister, Lucy preceding her in death.  Two of the brothers, William and Silas, served in the Civil war, one of them, William, dying in the service of his country.

She was left an orphan when only eleven years old.  She was married to Jesse H. Wood August 25, 1859, at the age of 17.

In the year 1865 she came to Michigan with her father and mother-in-law, her husband still being in the army.  They first settled near Coe, Isabella Co., Michigan.

In the year 1868, she, with her husband and three children moved to Gilmore and took up a homestead, where she endured the hardships of a pioneer life, they being among the very earliest settlers of Gilmore, where they lived for forty-one years and brought up their family of eight children, all of whom are living except Walter, who died March 6th, 1910.

In 1909 they moved to Farwell, Clare County, where she has since resided.

In early girlhood she became a Christian and was ever ready to do her part as long as her health would permit.

She leaves to mourn their loss a husband with whom she lived nearly 63 years, her children:  Mrs. Hannah Dunnigan, F. F. and J. e. Wood of Gilmore;  H. L. and Henry of Farwell,  Effie of Pontiac and Jess of Detroit, thirteen grand children and five great grandchildren.

We can truly say:  "A mother in Israel has gone."

Funeral services were conducted by the Rev. J. W. Kimberling of Coe, interment at Gilmore cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



September 1, 1922


Isaac Mitchell Packer, son of Amos V. and Elizabeth Lingle Packer was born in Henry County, Ohio August 5, 1842, and departed this life September 1, 1922 at the ripe age of eighty years and twenty-seven days.

He, together with his parents, under many difficulties, blazed their way through the wilderness and at last reached Gratiot County, Michigan, where in the year 1854 they finally settled, being the third white family north of Pine River.

While still a very young man he worked laboriously clearing the land and hewing the logs from which the first rude cabins were built.

He became very familiar with all the surrounding country, following the Indian trails and hunting wild game which supplied the family meat.  He also made many friends among the native Indians whose language he learned quite well.

At that time there was no place of religious worship in this section of the country, so taking two ponies he journeyed to St. Johns where he secured the services of a minister that the gospel might be preached among the settlers.

Soon after the first post office was established here.  He carried mail from what is now St. Louis through to Maple Rapids, going with ponies as far as possible and finishing the route by foot.

On the twenty-seventh day of April 1863 he was united in marriage with Mary Caroline Young.  This union was blessed by the firth of four children:  Edmund, Amos V., Charles Bert and Myrtle Victoria.

He leaves to mourn their loss the three sons, one sister, twelve grandchildren, besides a host of friends and other relatives.  His wife and daughter having preceded him to the Great Beyond.

Funeral services were held Sunday September 3rd at the Christian Church in St. Louis, conducted by Rev.

R. L. May of Alma.  Their remains were laid to rest in Oak Grove Cemetery beside those of his wife and daughter.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



January 14, 1922


Susannah (Redman) Childs was born June 23, 1840 in Deping, Lincolnshire, England and died at Shepherd, Michigan January 14, 1922.

She came with her parents to this country in 1849, being then but nine years old, and settled at Monroe in Monroe County, where she lived until her marriage to Daniel Childs, August 29, 1859.

Four years later she moved with her husband to Isabella County and settled on the old homestead, where she continually lived until 17 years ago when she with her daughter, Addie, moved to Shepherd to the present home.

She was the mother of seven children, two dying in infancy.  Those left to mourn their loss are:  Herbert, Addie, Clifford and Gordon Childs of Shepherd and Albert at Breckenridge and a foster child, Grace Bradt, whom she raised from infancy.

Her husband departed this life 25 years ago.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



July 25, 1922


Norman Henry Milliken, son of Norman and Mary Jane Milliken, was born November 11, (this item states 1892, but has to be an error - read on), near Toronto, Ontario, Canada and passed away at the home of his son, Harry Milliken, July 25, 1922, aged 79 years, 8 months and 14 days.

He was united in marriage to Sarah McMillan March 21, 1866 at Green Lake, Wisc.  Shortly after this they moved to Michigan living at various places and finally settling at Salt River in 1873, where Mr. Milliken worked at the mills located on the river.

In 1885 he purchased the farm south of Shepherd where he lived for 37 years.

Mr. Milliken had five children:  Mrs. Tirzah Spencer of Shepherd,  Harry Milliken of Shepherd,  Emerson Milliken of Peoria, Ill.,  Mrs. Lucinda Owens of Shepherd, and Miles Milliken who passed away in 1914.  his wife proceeded him in 1916.

Two brothers and five sisters all living in Canada survive him besides 16 grandchildren and many acquaintances.

In 1904 he was converted under the pastorate of Ray Cookson and united with the Shepherd M. E. Church.

Funeral was held at the home on July 28, 1922, with interment in Salt River Cemetery, H. W. Ellinger officiated.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


March 9, 1922


Chester Sherman Durfee, was born in Isabella county, Michigan - Potters Creek, September 18, 1880.  He died March 9, 1922 in Tucson, Ariz.  Having been ailing for some time and believing the change would be beneficial.  This, however, proved to be otherwise.

There are left to mourn his loss:  his mother, Mrs. Louisa Durfee of St. Louis, MI;  His father having died May 7, 1915.  One brother living, Oril residing north of Elwell, MI;  Four sisters:  Mrs. Ephernia Kelly of Mt. Pleasant,  Mrs. Barrett of Wheeler,  Mrs. St. John, northeast of Breckenridge, MI and Bertha Kief of Isabella county.

Interment was held in Vestaburg Cemetery, Vestaburg, Michigan March 19, 1922.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


(there is no date on this article, but is on the page with the other 1922 obits)


The body of Rebecca Jackson, a resident of St. Louis for a number of years, arrived home Sunday, June 4 from Littleton, West Virginia, accompanied by her nephew, Wm. Stewart, with whom she had been living for the past year.  She was past 72 years of age and the widow of John Jackson, whose death occurred about 6 years ago.  She lived alone until a year ago when failing health compelled her to stay with her nephew.

Funeral services were held Monday, June 5, at the late residence, by Elder Kimberling of Coe.  The male quartet from Coe rendered the music.  Interment was in the Oak Grove cemetery.

Mrs. Jackson was a member of the Church of Christ at Coe for fifty years and leaves a large circle of friends.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             




September 17, 1922


David Mitchell departed this life September 17, 1922 age 71 years, 7 months and 18 days. 

David Mitchell, son of Mary and Uriah Mitchell, was born January 30, 1851 in Sandusky county, Ohio.  On January 12, 1875 he was united in marriage with Rebecca Maurer.  To this union were born eleven children, eight of whom survive him:  Perry and Glen of Kalamazoo;  Mrs. Emma Guthrie of Thompsonville, Mich;  Mrs. Sadie Jones of Fremont, Ohio;  Mrs. Saloma Gilson, Mrs. Essie Bower, Lewis and Neil Mitchell of Coleman, Mich; one brother and  three sisters,  15 grandchildren and one great grandchild and a host of friends to mourn their loss.

In the year 1888 he moved to St. Louis, Mich., and in 1904 he moved to his farm in Wise township, where he has since made his home.  His wife preceded him in death six years ago.

He accepted the truth in 1883 and in 1888 he was ordained a minister of God.  For 33 years he traveled all through Michigan holding evangelist meetings.  He was a kind and loving father and will be missed by all who knew him.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             




January 1922


John Franklin Stearns, son of Lewis and Lucy Stearns was born in Wood County, Ohio Dec 4th, 1854.

At the age of 12 years he came with his parents to Chippewa township, this county, where he has resided nearly all the time for the past 55 years, being closely connected with much of the early history of Isabella County.

September 21, 1872 he was married to Caroline Fogelsong.  To this union four children were born.  A son and daughter died in infancy and Mina M. L. at the age of 6 years.  One son, Franklin A. and the wife are left to mourn their loss.

He was a loyal member of the local lodge I. O. O. F. and K. O. T. M.

A large portion of his time was spent in this vicinity.  Mr. Stearns was in business in Shepherd and his genial and sociable nature and his reputation for honesty as well as his generous spirit toward all those visited by misfortune has built for him a reputation and character that commanded the respect of all and we do not believe he had an enemy in the world.

His associates share, with the family, the sorrow of his going and the sympathy of the community goes out to his loved ones in their bereavement.

The funeral was held Thursday afternoon at the M. E. church under the auspices of the I. O. O. F., about 75 of his brothers being present to do honor to his memory, and the church was crowded to capacity.

Rev. Ellinger delivered the address and the remains were placed at rest in Salt River cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             




MARCH 24, 1922


The funeral of James M. Vining, one of Isabella county's oldest pioneers, was held at his late home in Mt. Pleasant Tuesday afternoon, at 2:00 o'clock, Reverend Hanthorne of the M. E. church, officiating.

James M. Vining, who was one of Isabella county's oldest pioneers, was born in Morrow County, Ohio, November 15, 1844, and died at his home in Mt. Pleasant, Friday, March 24, 1922, at the age of 78 years.  Mr. Vining came to Michigan when he was about 10 years old and was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Cary at the age of nineteen.  To this union three children were born:  James A. Vining of Sheridan, Oregon;  Henry Vining of Montana; and Lillie Vining (Mrs. Fred Walton) of Shepherd, Mich.

He was a Civil War veteran, enlisting in the 9th Michigan Volunteers in 1864, and serving until the end of the war.  In 1878, Elizabeth Cary Vining passed away, leaving Mr. Vining with his family of three motherless children.  In 1879 he was united in marriage to Miss Dora Cowles and in 1880 the family moved from Wayne county to Isabella county, where he has lived since that time.  He spent the greater part of his life in Isabella county on a farm five miles east of Mt. Pleasant, at other times being engaged in the lumber business.

In 1915 he and his wife moved to Mt. Pleasant and bought a home and lived in this city since that time.  He was a man of splendid character, high morals, good ability and his friendly personality will be missed by his hundreds of friends throughout the community.

Besides his wife and children, he leaves two sisters:  Mrs. George Schick of Breckenridge and Mrs. Elizabeth Corey of Perry, Michigan.......(the rest of this article is missing).


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             







May 1922


The people of Shepherd and community were saddened when the news went forth that the Angel of Death had entered the home of Michael Roberts and took from our midst the oldest pioneer of Coe township.

Although Mr. Roberts had been in failing health for some time his children were in hopes that he would still survive for a long time.

He was active and loved his home life, never tiring of overseeing his farm work, having come to Shepherd the afternoon before his death and met some of his friends to have a friendly and jovial chat.

Mr. Roberts was a son of Joseph and Mary (Tooney) Roberts, natives of Ireland.  The parents came from the emerald Isle to Quebec, Canada and later to Detroit.  After a short stay in that city and Windsor, they went to Oakland county, Mich., where they resided two years.

In the fall of 1854, being then a lad of nine years, he came with his father and three older brothers, who cut the first road from about where Alma now stands, to Salt River.  About the 7th of November of the same year, his father, Joseph Roberts and an only sister and her husband, Patrick Fanning, came over the same road with their families and to them is due the honor of breaking into the wilderness and planting the seeds of  civilization.

Mr. Roberts grew to manhood and lived with his parents until their death and inherited the farm of 160 acres on which he was still living at the time of his death.

He was married in Hubbardston, Mich., Feb. 23, 1868 to Catherine, daughter of Michael and Susanna Lestrange, natives of Ireland.

To this union were born four children:  Joseph W., Michael J., Susan C., and Agnes.  Mrs. Roberts died April 16, 1907, and Joseph W., Dec 20, 1898.  He has left to mourn their loss two daughters and an only son.

He was buried from St. Vincent de Paul church Tuesday morning, May 2, 1922 at nine o'clock with solemn high mass, the chief celebrant the pastor, Rev. John McNiel, assisted by Fathers Mulvey and Flannery.

The funeral was largely attended by numerous relatives and friends and the body was laid to rest in St. Patrick cemetery, Seville, Gratiot county beside his loving and faithful wife.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


April 22, 1922


Harriet A. Struble was born in Fulton County, Ohio January 20, 1853, and came to Michigan with her parents, William and Mary Struble, when 12 years old.  At 14 years she joined the Methodist Episcopal church, of which she has always been a devoted member.

She was married to Wayne W. Fosgitt of Chippewa township, July 2, 1871, and except for four years, has always made Isabella County her home.  She died at her daughter's home in Owosso, April 22, 1922, where she had gone but a few days previous on a visit.  She was 69 years, 4 months and 2 days of age.

The body was brought to Mt. Pleasant Sunday, and taken to the home of her son on East High Street, with services and burial in Chippewa Monday.

Surviving are the husband and three children;  William of Harrison,  Clyde of Mt. Pleasant, and Mrs. Grace Reed of Owosso;  nine grandchildren and two brothers,  Joseph Struble of Mt. Pleasant and Frank of Kenton.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



December 16, 1922


Charles D. Clifton, the son of William and Harriett Clifton, was born in Williams County, Ohio, September 6th, 1855 and died December 16, 1922 at the home of his brother, John Clifton, of St. Louis.

He married Elizabeth Clay, March 2, 1875, who died in the year 1902, and in later years married May KOYL, who died two years ago.

He leaves two brothers, Albert Clifton of Lansing and John Clifton of St. Louis to mourn their loss.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



May 4, 1922


Mrs. Jessie Owen, age 63 years, who has conducted a small Racket store in this city for a number of years, passed away Thursday May 4th, after a short illness from heart trouble.  Although not confined to her bed more than a few hours before her demise, she had been in a critical condition for 10 days.  She leaves no family.  Her husband's death preceded hers about seven years.  Her sister, Mrs. Whitney of Hudson, and her son from Detroit were called here Thursday evening.  Short funeral services were held from the A. E. Branch home on E. Washington avenue, Friday morning, in charge of Rev. W. A. C. Masters, and the body taken to Hudson for burial.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



Special to the state Journal



Joseph A. Reagh, 74, and a pioneer farmer of Isabella County, died at the Traverse City state hospital Friday evening.  Mr. Reagh had lived in Isabella county for many years and since 1876 had lived on the old homestead on section 7, Chippewa township.  It was then a timber lot and his efforts transformed it into the pleasant farm it is.  About two years ago Mr. Reagh's health began to fall and it was thought advisable to take him to the state hospital at Traverse City for treatment, but he gradually grew worse until Friday he passed away. 

He leaves to mourn him, a wife, two daughters, Miss Mayme Reagh of Juneau, Alaska and Mrs. Nellie Hynes of Portland, Oregon, and one son, Chas. Reagh of Kaw City, Oklahoma.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             




June 15, 1922


One of the most terrible and saddest accidents of recent years occurred lat Sunday when the car in which Mr. and Mrs. William Campbell and four of their children were riding was hit by a freight train as they started to cross a railroad track near Trout Creek, instantly killing the one and a half year old baby girl, Mary Jane; injuring the mother so seriously that she died a few hours later and two of the other children, Douglas, seven years old and Vesta, four years old, suffered so many severe injuries that death resulted two days later.  Mr. Campbell and one son, Hugh, fifteen years of age, escaped with minor injuries.

They were unable to see the approaching train because of pulp timber, which was piled up high by the track, obscuring their view.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Campbell lived in Mt. Pleasant at one time, the former leaving here when a young boy.  They have made their home for the past ten years at Trout Creek.

Mrs. Campbell was formerly Maude Lockwood, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. S. Lockwood.

Besides her husband and son Hugh, she leaves two other children:  Mrs. Cecil Elliott of Rosebush, and Miss Inez, who is a student at the Normal this year;  her mother, Mrs. Lockwood, and many other relatives.

The bodies of all four were shipped to Mt. Pleasant for burial services.

Funeral services will be held at the Methodist church this afternoon at 3:00 o'clock, Rev. L. L. Hanthorne officiating.

Relatives who have come to be present at the services are:  Grant Lockwood and Amzee Lockwood of St. Louis, Mo.; Paul Lockwood and Mrs. A. S. Lockwood of Fort Scott, Mo.; Mr. and Mrs. Jess Urie of Carson City;  Mrs. James Elden of Everett; and Mr. and Mrs. Ed. Campbell of Grand Rapids.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



Zora A. Waterbury

August 14, 1922


Mrs. Zora A. Waterbury, age 54 years, died Monday August 14th, at her home in Bethany township, after several months of illness from cancer.

The remains were taken to Vestaburg, her former home, Wednesday, where funeral services were held at 2 o'clock from the church.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



February 24, 1922


George Walter Kinch, Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. George Kinch, was born August 24, 1921 and departed this life February 24, 1922, aged six months.  He leaves to mourn their loss, a father, mother, one brother, two sisters, one grandfather, two grandmothers, besides an uncle and aunt.

The funeral services were held at home Monday afternoon, conducted by Rev. Randall of the Christian church.  Interment in Salt River cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *



DIES AUGUST 11, 1922



Barbara Brady Plowman departed this life August 11, 1922.  she was laid to rest in the Salt River cemetery, Rev. Randall officiating.

Barbara Brady was born May 20, 1840 in the state of Ohio, Seneca County, and departed this life at the age of 82 years, two months and 21 days.  She came to Michigan with her parents when she was 15 years of age, March 8, 1857.  She was married to Ezra Plowman, who passed away February 25, 1895.  She was one of seven children, four sisters and three brothers.  She adopted three children:  William Small, May Kirven and S. T. Richardson, with whom she made her home.  She was a devoted Christian and a loving mother.  She leaves to mourn her loss two sisters, Mary Biggs and Alice Oberlin, one brother, Samuel Brady, her children and a host of friends.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



April 12, 1922


Oscar Daniel Struble, son of Jacob P. Struble and Susan A. Struble was born December 29, 1861 in Fulton County, Ohio and moved with his parents to Isabella county at the age of six years, where he since resided.  He departed this life, April 12, 1922, aged 59 years, 3 months and 14 days.

He was united in marriage February 22, 1882 to Miss Estella Huffman, who remains to mourn the loss of a dear companion.  to this union three children were born:  Wilbur J. Struble residing near Shepherd;  Jacob Elton who died in infancy and Ruth S. Failing residing at Pasadena, California.  He also leaves to mourn their loss, two brothers and one sister as follows:  Jason M. Struble residing at shepherd,  Fred R. Struble residing at Phillips, Wisc., and Essie H. Bissell residing in Shepherd.  He also leaves five grandchildren and a host of other relatives and friends to mourn their loss.

The funeral was conducted at his late home on Saturday afternoon, Rev. I. W. Kimberling officiating.  The remains were place in the vault at the cemetery to wait the arrival of a daughter from California and will be interred today.

Mr. Struble has been a resident of this vicinity for over half a century and 14 years of that time he has been engaged in the implement business.

He was a splendid citizen, a kind and loving husband and father, and a desirable neighbor and commanded the respect of all who knew him.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             




February 27, 1922


William H. Stell, whose home was at Palingra, New York, until one year ago when he came to live with his brother, J. E. Stell of Lincoln, died at his brother's home Monday, February 27, 1922.  He came to his brother's home to live because of sickness.

He was born in 1872, being fifty years of age at the time of his death.

He is survived by his mother, Mrs. Sarah Stell, one brother, J. E. Stell of Lincoln, and four sisters:  Mrs. L. D. Cole, Mrs. L. Warner, Mrs. John Wagner of Mt. Pleasant and Mrs. Minnie Lott of Big Rapids.

Funeral services were held Thursday afternoon, the Rev. Harris officiating.  Interment at Salt River cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *



February 1922


Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall see God. 

In this world a girl may become a loving sweetheart, a true wife, a dear mother, a cherished aunt and grandmother and in old age known as a friend to all and everything which stands for good.

And so it behooves me to say that Mrs. William H. Wonch was all of these.

In early days she was known as Melinda Nutt, daughter of Robert and Christina Nutt and is the last of eleven children to pass on to her heavenly reward.

She was born in Canada, August 23, 1837, and was married to William H. Wonch on July 2, 1860.

In the early days of this section this couple, together with Mr. and Mrs. Richard Wonch, another brother and sister, came to Michigan and settled on their respective farms.

To Mr. and Mrs. Wonch there were born 9 children, 6 of which are left to mourn the loss.  They are:  Robert H., George W., and Anna M. Tibbils of this place;  William A., and Frances B. of Lansing, and Alice M. Broderick of Clare.

There are 17 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren to mourn the loss of one who was a mother to them.

Mrs. Wonch was 84 years, 5 months and 17 days of age at time of her death and was very active until the last few years when her sight began to fail.......(the rest of this article is missing)


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



May 14, 1922


Flora June Miller, daughter of Mr. George W. and Mary Miller, was born May 30, 1858 in Isabella County on  the farm north of Salt Rivers.  She lived there all her life.  She passed away May 14, 1922, after several years of illness, age 63 years, 9 months and 14 days.

She leaves to mourn her departure, two brothers;  William O. Miller and J. W. Miller of Shepherd and the three sisters;  Mrs. Betsey Ann Salisbury of Mt. Pleasant;  Mrs. Josephine Hinkle of Portland, Mich., and Mrs. Katherine Dodge of Minnington, W. Virginia.

Miss Miller was baptized in the M. E. church and attended there when her health permitted.

Funeral services were held at the M. E. church Tuesday, May 16th.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



July 4, 1922


James E. Cline, son of Joseph and Jane Cline, was born in West Virginia, October 6, 1875, and died at his home in this village of tuberculosis, Tuesday, July 4, 1922.

He was united in marriage to Olive E. Freeman February 15, 1898.  To this union were born  five children:  Chester, Lawrence, Anna and Vera and Lena, who departed this life four years ago.

He came with his parents to Michigan when he was fifteen years of age and has resided in this state ever since.

He leaves to mourn, his wife, four children, four brothers and one sister, two brothers and two sisters having preceded him.

Funeral services were held Friday, Rev. Kimberling officiating.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *



September 12, 1922


Noah Gehret was born near Button, Wells County, Indiana, March 12, 1854 and died at his home near Shepherd, Michigan, September 12, 1922, at the age of 68 years and 6 months.

At the age of eleven years he and his nine brothers and sisters were left to mourn the loss of a father and mother.  He then made his home with an uncle until the year 1878, when he was united in marriage to Mary A. King of Fremont, Ohio, who having departed this life nearly 14 years ago.  For some time they resided in Indiana, and near Fremont, Ohio, and later took up their home near Shepherd, Michigan.  He was the father of three children, two sons and one daughter of whom two survive him, one son having died at the age of two and one half years.

Mr. Gehret leaves to mourn his loss a son, George, with whom he has resided at the time of his death, a daughter, Mary DuBois of Clawson, Mich., a step daughter, Alberta Waggoner of Elapse, Texas.  Five grandchildren, also four brothers and one sister.

Funeral services were held at the home Saturday afternoon conducted by Rev. Kimberling and he was laid to rest in the family lot at Shepherd, Michigan.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



Business Man Here for Many Years Died Sunday Evening

Following Two Months' Illness

December 17, 1922


Chas. W. Alexander, a resident of this city for the past 41 years, a man who for the greater part of this time, has been numbered among the leading business merchants of the city, died at his late residence on E. Center Avenue, Sunday evening, December 17th, about 6 o'clock from Angina Pectoris.

Although Mr. Alexander had been in very poor health for the past two months from ailments due to his heart, his death came very much unexpected.  All day Saturday he had attended his regular chores about his home, and had been on the street as late as evening.  However, later in the evening after returning to his home he was taken seriously sick, and a physician was called, who remained with him several hours.  He suffered intense pain during the night and his condition failed to improve, remaining similar, until the end.

About 41 years ago Mr. and Mrs. Alexander came to this city from Vassar, where within a very short time, they went into the grocery and crockery business.  They continued in this line of business always carrying a large stock of goods, until about three years ago, when after having closed out their stock of crockery, they sold their grocery stock to A. W. Thorpe.  They were located in various different business blocks during this time.

Mr. Alexander had, during his life, been a member of a number of lodges and various organizations of the city, although he had taken no active part for the past couple of years, due to his failing health.  He was a member of the Episcopal church, having been trained as a young man with that particular body.  He became a member twenty years ago.  He was 67 years of age.

Besides the widow, he leaves no immediate relatives, but a countless number of friends.

Funeral services were held from the late home yesterday at 1:30 p.m. in charge of Rev. John Davis.  Interment was made in the fault in Oak Grove Cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *                             



March 18, 1922


Word was received by Mrs. Reva M. Ripley that Grandma Gibbons died at Fairground, Ontario, Saturday evening, March 18, and was buried Tuesday, March 21.

She will be remembered by many friends here as she had made her home for the past twenty-five years with Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Reagh of Chippewa township.  Mrs. Reagh was her eldest daughter.  When the Reaghs went to the state hospital she went to live with a daughter, Mrs. Nettie Williams, of Fairground, Ontario.

She was born in Ontario, Canada in 1826, and was married to Henry Murch when about 19 years of age.  To this union four children were born.

Her husband died when the children were still small.  Later she married Mr. Gibbons.  After his death she came to Michigan to live with the Reaghs.

She was a member of the Chippewa Baptist church.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



SEPTEMBER 19, 1922


After a lingering illness of twelve weeks Mrs. Naomi Stirling passed away at the home of her son on south Franklin Avenue, Tuesday night, September 19, 1922.

Early in the summer she fell down the basement stairs, breaking her hip and although the hip mended perfectly she seemed unable to rally from the severe nervous shock she experienced at the time of her fall.

Being endowed with a sinker kindly, and gentle spirit she endeared herself to all who knew her.  Numbered among those who loved her best were the little folks and young people who used to bring her flowers.

Funeral services will be held Friday afternoon at 3:00 o'clock at the home of her son, James Stirling.



Obituary of Mrs. Stirling


Naomi Brown Stirling was born March 12, 1845 at London, Ontario.  She moved with her parents to St. Clare county, Michigan when fourteen years of age.  In June 1861 she was united in marriage to Charles Stirling, to which union six children were born.  Her husband and two children preceded her in death.

She came to Isabella county forty-seven years ago and four years ago moved to Mt. Pleasant.

She is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Christine Vowles of Mt. Pleasant, and three sons:  Charles Stirling of Clare, David Stirling of Lake, and James Stirling of Mt. Pleasant.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



March 8, 1922


David F. Shoe, son of Abraham and Eva Shoe, was born April 29, 1840 in Wood County, Ohio, where he grew to manhood.

On May 5, 1861 he married Isabella Wise.  Two children were born to this union:  Sarah E. Nilson of Shepherd and Clem S. of Beebe, Arkansas.  Fourteen years later his companion passed to the great beyond, and on November 17, 1876 he married Margaret E. Stockhouse.  One son, Arthur W. was born to this union.

He enlisted in the summer of 1862, and served as corporal in Company I, 72nd Regiment, Ohio Infantry, receiving an honorable discharge after five months of service.  He then returned to Wood County, and engaged in farming until the fall of 1882, when with his family he settled on a farm three miles west of Shepherd.  Twenty one years later he moved to his home southeast of Shepherd where he died March 8, 1922.

He was 81 years, 10 months and 9 days old, forty years of which were spent in this locality.

In early life he was baptized and united with the United Brethern church of Rising Sun, Ohio.  He had always held to the faith and lived a consistent life.

For many years he was a member of the local G. A. R. Post.

He was unusually active until two years ago when he suffered a stroke from which he never entirely recovered.

A week before his death he fell on the ice and received a head injury resulting in complications which he could not overcome.

He is survived by a widow, one daughter and two sons, who have been mentioned, also a sister, Mrs. M.E. Wagner of Shepherd and foster brother, Edward Soles of St. Louis, eleven grandchildren and six great grandchildren.

He will be greatly missed but he has lived an upright life and to the bereaved relatives and sorrowing friends, there is blessed assurance that he sleeps peacefully in the unknown beyond.

Funeral services conducted by Rev. L. W. Kimberling at the Christian church in Shepherd Friday afternoon.  The remains were placed in the vault at Salt River cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


March 6, 1922


Mr. Oliver Seldon Caldwell was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio May 12, 1846, and died at the Soldiers' Home in Grand Rapids, March 6, 1922, aged 75 years 10 months and 22 days.  Mrs. Caldwell died in 1887.

He moved with his parents to Gratiot county in 1854.  He served in the Civil war under Col. Ely.

In 1875 he was united in marriage to Miss Alice Sprague to which union four children were born:  Clarence, who died in infancy,  Samuel, who died at the age of 17 years,  Miss Pearlie Caldwell, who died April 29, 1919 and Mrs. Bessie Brewer of Alma.  He leaves one sister, Mrs. Stewart of Alma, and 8 grandchildren.

Mr. Caldwell was a member of the Masonic Order 50 years, being a charter member of the Alma Lodge 244.  Later he transferred to the St. Louis Lodge No. 188.  He made his home the greater part of his life in Gratiot county.  Ten years ago he went to the Michigan Soldiers Home, and remained until his death.  His remains were laid to rest in Oak Grove Cemetery, March 9, 1922.  The funeral services were held at the home of Gale Brooks Thursday, March 9th, 1922, at 1:30 p.m. by Rev. J. Roberts, pastor of the Presbyterian church, St. Louis, Michigan.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



February 10, 1922


Dora Luella Heideman, nee Alexander, was born August 29, 1888 and died Feb. 10, 1922.

Mrs. Heideman leaves a son 18 months old, besides her husband.  Her death, after a lingering illness comes as a tremulous loss to her parents, Mr. and Mrs. C. D. Alexander of Coe and all those who had learned to love her.

Her life came to an early end.  After the usual education of the grades and secondary schools she graduated from Alma College in 1909, post graduated in music in 1910.  She then went to the Royal Conservatory at Dresden, Germany, graduating there with honors.  She returned in 1912 and went to Dubuque, Iowa where she taught voice for three years.

While in Dubuque she met Rev. B. Heideman, whom she married June 20, 1919.  Rev. Heideman is the pastor of the Community church of Middleton, Iowa.

All those who had heard Mrs. Heideman will miss her, especially because of her beautiful voice by which she pleased and inspired many audiences and congregations.

She was laid to rest in Oak Grove Cemetery at St. Louis among a group of loving friends and relatives.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


February 9, 1922


Jacob H. Hollenbeck, son of Peter and Isabella Hollenbeck, was born in Orion, Ontario, Canada July 20, 1865 and passed away Thursday morning, Feb. 9,  1922, at his home in Shepherd.

He came to Michigan at an early age and has spent most of his life in this community.

He was united in marriage to Miss Ella Childs, in 1893, and to this union were born four children:  Mrs. Helen Glummey,  Loyd and Robert Hollenbeck and Charles, who died some years ago.

The deceased leaves to mourn his departure, his companion, three children, three brothers, John, Anthony and Isaac Hollenbeck and one sister, Mrs. Rebecca A. Miles, all-in the west, besides nieces and nephews and many friends.

Funeral services at M. E. church Feb 12, 1922


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



June 24, 1922


Coe township is again called on to mourn the death of one of the oldest and most highly respected citizens in the death of S. P. Murtha, who passed away at his home in this village Saturday forenoon.

Mr. Murtha suffered a stroke of paralysis several months ago and has since been in poor health but able to be about until a few days ago when he was confined to his bed.  Owing to his inability to take nourishment he grew gradually weaker until he finally passed into that peaceful sleep that knows no awakening.  The funeral was held from the home Monday afternoon and a large number of friends gathered to pay their last respects to a friend and neighbor whom they had learned to love and respect.

Stephen Pendleton Murtha, son of Patrick and Ann (Hoy) Murtha was born August 6, 1846 in Ionia County, Michigan, and passed from this life June 24, 1922, at the age of seventy-five years, ten months and eighteen days.

When a lad of eight years he moved with his parents to Isabella county and settled in Coe township on a quarter section of land which was then a wilderness.  He grew up in the midst of the privations and hardships that accompany the clearing and settling of a new community and to this he most loyally contributed his part.

Mr. Murtha's domestic life dates from December 9, 1877, at this time was solemnized his marriage with Catherine Gruber, daughter of Henry and Catherine Gruber of Coe township, Isabella county.  Five children came to brighten their lives, Montel and Mildred deceased  - Mrs. R. F. Curtis of Sand Point, Idaho,  Dr. A. V. Murtha of Pontiac, Mich., and D. P. Murtha of Montreal, Canada.

Besides these he leaves a wife and two brothers:  Arthur and George Murtha of Mt. Pleasant, Mich., and one sister, Mrs. Sadie Young of Oakdale, California.  Also a large circle of friends to remember his worth.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             




Max & Dorothy Kobel

October 19, 1922


Word reached Mt. Pleasant last night of the tragic death of two children, the serious injury of three adults and one child, and the narrow escape of four others when shortly before 6 o'clock Tuesday evening an Overland touring car driven by Hugh Kobel collided with a heavy truck loaded with sand at the Shattuck road on the Saginaw-Bay west side road.

The two children, who were instantly killed, are Max Kobel, eight years old and Dorothy Kobel, four years old, both children of Mr. and Mrs. Marion Kobel.

Those injured are Mrs. Marion Kobel, whose scalp was torn and one ear badly lacerated;  Hugh Kobel, son of Mr. and Mrs. Marion Kobel, who was but about the lips;  Mrs. Hugh Kobel had her right ankle badly cut;  little four old Eva Kobel, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Kobel, was cut about the head.  Mrs. Alice Rector, the other occupant of the car, escaped injuries.

Those in the truck, William Thomas, driver of the truck;  Anthony Conrad and Joseph E. Flunder, all of Saginaw, were badly shaken up but received no injuries.

The people in the touring car were returning to Mt. Pleasant from a day's visit in Saginaw with relatives.

Under sheriff Charles H. Hodges, Dr. R. Mercer Carter and Coroner J. Henri Riopelle were among the first persons to be called to the scene after the accident.  All of the victims were given temporary aid and rushed to St. Mary's hospital.  After giving treatment at the hospital and conducting a thorough examination, Dr. Carter said he believed all of the injured would recover.

According to the story of Hugh Kobel, the Mt. Pleasant party had the right of way when the accident occurred.  They were going north on the Bay State road, according to this account, and the truck, carrying about four and one-half tons of sand, was on the Shattuck road bound for Saginaw.  According to the under sheriff, the driver of the truck believed he could make the crossing safely, depending on the speed of his truck and the possibility that Kobel was coming at the rate of about 35 miles an hour.  When the roaring car did not slow down and Thomas saw that a collision was imminent, he applied the brakes to the truck, but the heavy load prevented a quick stop, and the truck crossed the path of the touring car, which struck the large vehicle in the side of the driver's cab.  In the last moment before the smashup, Thomas steered his truck toward the ditch, but he was too late to avert the accident.

It was impossible Tuesday night to secure a clear account of just how the two children were killed.  Dr. Carter said that neighboring farmers told him that all in the rear seat of the touring car were thrown clear of the vehicle by the force of the collision and that a wheel of the truck passed over the heard of the dead boy.  All who were in the accident, however, were so stunned by it's tragic toll that they were unable to tell coherent stories of exactly what had happened.

The touring car is practically a wreck, but the truck was only slightly damaged.  The truck is owned by Charles J. Feedhole, living in the 400 block on Hoyt Avenue.

No one is being held as responsible for the accident at present and Coroner Riopelle had not announced Tuesday night whether he would order......(the rest of this article is missing)


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



October 1922


Lucy Bohannon Gibbs was born in Grand Isle, Vermont, September 16, 1856, where she grew to womanhood and where she received her education.  When twenty-one years of age she came to this state with her parents , settling in Jasper township.  On June 9, 1880 she was united in marriage with William D. Gibbs, to whom she has been a most faithful and devoted companion.

Their home was blessed with two daughters, Carrie B. and Florence M., who are blessing society and who have brought great pleasure to their parents.

Mrs. Gibbs was useful in society adding to the peace and virtue and prosperity of the community in which she lived.  She was a faithful and useful member of the Methodist church and enjoyed promoting the work of the Kingdom.

The abundance of beautiful floral tributes which were banked about the casket, were but small tokens of the dear friends and loved ones who will mourn their loss.

Funeral services were held from the late home, corner of Washington Ave., and Main Street, Thursday, October 26, 1922 at 2 o'clock.  Rev. G. D. Yinger officiated.  Five employees of the International Harvester Company's Branch office of Saginaw, and E. M. Wagner of this city were pallbearers.

Interment was made in Oak Grove cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             





One of City's Most Useful Young Men Overtaken by Death

June 1922


Service to his fellowmen, devoted to his home, his church and his school aptly characterizes the life of Floyd Ferguson, who died June (date is unreadable), at his home on 501 South Kinney Street.  He had been in poor health for several months but was able to keep up his work until Tuesday, when he was compelled to give up and his strength gradually failed until the end came the following Thursday night.

Mr. Ferguson was engaged as principal of the Fancher school in this city in September, 1916.  In 1918 he was promoted to the principal ship of the junior high school which position he held at the time of his death.

Soon after coming here he organized the Boy Scouts in this city and the local organization has been (unreadable) the most active in the state.

Mr. Ferguson had exceptional ability as a leader and teacher of the young people and especially was this true with boys.  The influence for good with scores of these boys will be a lasting tribute to his memory.

His life was unselfish.  He took keen interest in public affairs and devoted hours of his time without remuneration to worthy projects.

Funeral services were held Saturday at the Presbyterian church, in which he had been an active worker since coming to the city.  He was superintendent of the Sunday school at the time of his death.

The funeral procession formed at the home, the Boy Scouts acting as an escort, and the junior high school, accompanying, Rev. J. H. Green gave s short address and eulogy of the deceased and solos were sung by Thayer Walsh and Miss Mary Zielinski.

Funeral services were held at Saginaw Sunday at the home of Mr. Ferguson's grandmother, Mrs. Andrew Maturen, 2341 South Michigan Avenue.  They were conducted by Rev. Harnley, pastor of the Michigan avenue Baptist church.  Interment was in the Oakwood cemetery.

Floyd Ferguson was born in Saginaw, June 21, 1886.  He graduated from the Arthur Hill high school in 1906 and engaged first in teaching in Bloomfield township.  Later he was principal of Burt High school.  He served as deputy treasurer of Saginaw under William F. Jahnke.  He was active in church and Sunday school work during his entire life.  Mr. Ferguson had a pleasing tenor voice and frequently sang solos.  He was a public speaker of ability and used this talent effectively in his public work.

After graduating from high school he continued his studies from time to time attending school at Michigan State Normal, Alma college and Central Michigan and Columbia University and received his A. B. degree December 19, 1919, from Central Normal school.

The deep sympathy of the entire community is extended to the parents, Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Ferguson of this city.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


January 19, 1922


Celia Emma Going was born in Ionia County, June 17, 1854.  She was the daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Chas. E. Going who are counted among the pioneers of this county.  In 1860 they came to St. Louis, where the deceased has since lived.  Her father became a soldier at the time of the Civil War and gave his life in the cause of liberty.  He sleeps in the National Cemetery at Chattanooga.  The subject of this sketch received her early training in the first school house erected in this place, which could scarcely then be called a Village.  While in the last sixty years St. Louis has grown into a beautiful city, this sister whom we honor today has not been a careless onlooker but has had a part in every step of progress.  She has helped to make her home town a more desirable place in which to live.  Her gracious spirit has been woven into the community's social fabric.  she has added to the wealth and the joy and the virtue of all her friends.

On February 4, 1882 she was united in marriage with Carolton Smith.  Their companionship during the two score years has been sweet and beautiful and will be a blessed memory to Mr. Smith in the coming days.

For many years Mrs. Smith has been a devoted Christian.  In the maturity of her young womanhood she united with the Methodist church that she might the better express to the world her ideal of righteousness and give the blessings of the gospel to mankind.  She has kept faith.  At the noontide January 19th her beautiful spirit left the tenement of clay to be clothed in immortality.  Her faith might be expressed in the lines of Hutchinson....(the rest of this article is missing)


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



April 27, 1922


Sarah A. Gooding was born in Ionia County, Michigan October 12, 1851.  When a girl of eight summers she came with her parents to reside in St. Louis which was then scarcely a village.  She has not only seen the place grow and the surrounding country become a garden, but she has had a part in the development of the community.  Her desire for the good of all, her industrious and virtuous life, her sweet spirit, and her many deeds for the good of others have contributed to the strength and comfort and prosperity of this place which was dear to her.

When a child of ten she saw her father march away to war. This nation must be preserved and her young life must have a part in the sacrifice made in behalf of our nation's principals.  Her father gave his life for our country and his body rests in the National Cemetery at Chattanooga.

In June of 1873 she was married to Mr. Noah Dun.  To them were born two children,  William, who died in infancy and Emma, known now as Mrs. Mark Dolbur.

Left alone in the maturity of her life, she gave herself over to loving, unselfish service.  The skies of all her friends were brighter when she was near and she was happiest when adding to others' comforts.  In the midst of loving service she heard the summons from on high.  Quickly she passed from labor to reward.  With resignation of heart we leave her with Him who also went about doing good.

The funeral was held Friday in her old home on N. Main street, Rev. Geo. D. Yinger officiated.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



March 9, 1922


Harriett Elizabeth, daughter of Sabin and Lepha Ballard was born at Georgia, Vermont on August 23, 1843.  She passed away at her home 4-1/2 miles northeast of St. Louis on March 9, 1922 after several days illness with pneumonia at the age of 78 years, 5 months and 13 days.

She received her education at the Georgia Academy and taught in Vermont a few years.  During the Civil war she came to Michigan to visit her brother who was in camp at Jackson and there met Mr. Gould, who was also encamped there.

She taught at Coldwater, Mich. one year and was ten married in St. Albans, VT. to James H. Gould on February 25, 1866.  They lived at Throne, Michigan 10 years then moved to the present farm home in April 1876.

To this union there were born 7 children, 4 girls and 3 boys of whom 5 are still living:  Jasper at Gold Bar, Washington;  Harvey at Snoqualmie, Washington;  Lucy Moule at Lowell, Washington;  Clara Sprague at Shepherd, Michigan and Eben at home.  Besides she mothered 3 stepchildren of whom only one is living, Bert of Flint.

She had 4 sisters and 5 brothers of whom one is still living,  Artemas Ballard of Perry, Iowa, who is 84 years old.

Besides her children she leaves 15 grandchildren, 4 step grandchildren and a number of nephews and nieces to mourn her absence.

Her husband preceded her to the great beyond January 21, 1907.  Life meant much to her and she made a great struggle to get well.

In her girlhood she joined the Congregational church at Georgia, Vermont and later united with the Methodist church at Tyrone, Michigan.

She was a member of the Eastern Star at St. Louis, of the Maccabees at Pleasant Valley and the Domestic Circle of the neighborhood.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


April 21, 1922


The many friends here of Mrs. Benjamin Nestle, nee Mable Mudge, a resident of this city for over seven years, previous to her removal to Detroit two years ago last October, were saddened to learn other death which occurred at the Lincoln Hospital, Detroit, Friday, April 21, 1922.  She had been confined to the hospital for eleven weeks, since the birth of her son, Benjamin Edison.  Her death was due to general peritonitis.  She was thirty-six years of age.

Mrs. Nestle was the only child of Mr. & Mrs. E. H. Mudge.  She came to this city from Ashley with her parents over ten years ago, and resided more than seven years here, her father being editor and publisher of the local newspaper.  She was a teacher of music in the public schools.  The two years previous to her removal to Detroit she taught in the Shepherd school.  She was a member of the local Hive, L.O.T.M. and of the D. of R. and an active worker in the W. C. T. U.

Two years ago last October, within a few days of her going to Detroit, she was united in marriage with Benjamin Nestle, also of this vicinity.  He, with is son, Benjamin Jr., Mr. and Mrs. Mudge,  Mrs. Vinnie Steward and Wm. Burgess accompanied the body her Monday, to the home of Mr. Nestle's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Culver, S. Franklin St.  funeral services were held from the Methodist church Tuesday, at 2:30 with Rev. Geo. Yinger in charge.  Members of the American Legion ace\ted as pall bearers.  The Rebekah ladies attended in a body.  Interment made in Oak Grove Cemetery.

The profusion of beautiful flowers banked around the casket was but a small token of the love and high esteem held for the deceased by her many friends.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *




December 27, 1922


Edith Stanley Moore, second daughter of Richard and Rilla Stanley, was born April 6, 1874.  She departed this life at her home in Shepherd on Dec. 27, 1922.  She was united in marriage to Andrew J. Moore July 3, 1892.

Besides the husband, she leaves two nephews, sons of Mr. Moore's sister, R. G. and N. V. Snyder, whom she has mothered since infancy.  Also three sisters and one brothers:  Mrs. Cora Frisby of Forest Hill,  Mrs. Nelson Fordyce and Mrs. Ann Schofield and James Stanley, all of Farwell, besides other relatives.

The funeral was held at the Christian church of which she was a member, at Shepherd, Friday, December 29, conducted by Rev. S. L. Randall.  The body was laid to rest beside her mother in the Fremont cemetery west of Winn.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


© 1999 - 2009  Donna Hoff-Grambau
All Rights Reserved