(NO NEWSPAPER SOURCE)
Clara E. ALDRICH,94,of N. 4th Street in Shepherd, died July 10, 1977,
at Pleasant Manor Nursing Home in Mt. Pleasant. Born 28 September 1882,
in Coe township, she resided most of her life in Shepherd.
She was married to William ALDRICH, who preceded her in death in 1964.
She was a life member of the Rebecca Lodge in Shepherd.
she is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Howard (LaVerne) MUNSON of
Shepherd, several grandchildren and great grandchildren.
Her husband, one son, Hubert, three brothers and three sisters all
preceded her in death.
Funeral services will be Wednesday, July 13, 1977
ISABELLA COUNTY REPUBLICAN
5 JUNE 1952
MRS. EMMA L. GRUBAUGH ALLEN
The recent death of Mrs. Emma ALLEN recalls to mind many aspects of the
era in which she and her famous husband, Perry, lived.
The early days of the lumbering era in this part of the state set the stage
for the later days when Mr. Allen, as a member of the Lumberjacks
Orchestra became known from coast to coast, while Mrs. ALLEN remained
quietly at home keeping the home fires content to bask in the reflected
glory of her mate.
Perry, with his rattling spoons, tambourine, red and green dancing shoes was
a fixture of the late Frank I. WIXON'S famed Lumberjack picnic staged year
after year at Edenville, where upwards of 30,000 persons gathered.
Nationally acclaimed, the orchestra was recognized at the National
Fold Music Festival in St. Louis some years ago. Perry himself was
known as that clever little Michigan Lumberjack as he entertained with
music, dancing and stories from coast to coast via stage & radio.
He played stage shows in Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Philadelphia,
Washington, Chattanooga and New York besides visiting many smaller
cities in Michigan. He swapped yarns with Eddie DOWLING, New York
producer, stomp danced with Benton, Missouri artist and sang for
Allen Lomax of the Library of Congress and Traverse City introduced
him to the Highway Engineers of America.
Dr. E. C. BECK, head of the English department at Central Michigan
College of Education, ran his picture in his book " Songs of the Michigan
Lumberjacks". Judge George A. BELDING made him the subject of a poem,
"That Little Scotch Lumberjack".
On one occasion, however, his wife shared the limelight equally with him,
and that was on May 6th, 1943, when they celebrated their sixtieth wedding
anniversary at their home in Shepherd.
Friends and relatives from miles around came to help that occasion and
offer congratulations. The Lumberjacks and Dr. BECK made their
appearance to extend their best wishes to the couple and to contribute to
the entertainment of the day.
Thus, today we have only these memories of one who made the name of our
little town known throughout the nation with just the simple repetition of
what was once a part of the every day life of our forefathers.
NEWSPAPER UNKNOWN - CLIPPING - HAND DATED
28 APRIL 1927
ALZINA PRESTON ALLEN
Alzina Preston ALLEN, daughter of Ira & Alcesta PRESTON, was born
in Steuben Co., NY, December 12, 1845, and departed this life on 22 April 1927
at Shepherd, MI, at the age of 81 years,4 months, and 10 days.
She was united in marriage to Sherman J. ALLEN on 19th August, 1866. To
this union were born 9 children, two deceased and seven surviving, all of
whom are married and left to mourn their loss.
At the age of 30,she was converted and joined the Evangelical Church.
She was always an active worker in the church circles. She was also
a devoted wife and loving mother, and will be greatly missed by a
host of friends.
The children are: Della COON of Pleasant Valley, William T. ALLEN of
Detroit, Addie SWIX of Shepherd, Nettie LITTLE of Cottage Grove, OR.,
Hattie YAGER of Midland, and Arthur ALLEN of Ferndale. Mrs. ALLEN
also leaves a sister, Mrs. Lena BAILEY of St. Louis a brother Chauncy
PRESTON of Saginaw,22 grandchildren and 19 great grandchildren.
The funeral was held at the Methodist Church Monday morning at 10:30,
Rev MAYHEW officiating and burial in Salt River Cemetery.
(NO NEWSPAPER OR DATE LISTED)
Mrs. Marjorie E. ABBOTT, Route 1,Vestaburg, died Sunday morning
August 17th at her home. She was a former resident of Shepherd until
1969.Mrs. ABBOTT was born September 16th, 1911 in Isabella County.
Survivors include her husband, Marshall F. ABBOTT; one son,
Marshall D. ABBOTT of Riverdale; two daughters Mrs. Vera M.
BARNHART of Augusta and Mrs. Lois A. FREEMAN of Vestaburg;
10 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren; three brothers, Ernest
BLACK of Riverdale,Olan BLACK of Middleton and Nathan BLACK of
Dewitt; three sisters, Mrs. Dorothy BUNKER of Wolverine, Mrs.
Carrie May WIEFERICH of Mt. Pleasant, and Mrs. Mary Jean BORTON of
Services were held at 2 p.m. Tuesday, August 19, from the Stebbins
Funeral Home, Edmore, James W. LEMMONS, Minister.
Interment was at Mt. Pleasant Memorial Gardens.
18 DECEMBER 1963
ANNETTE LYNNE HAWKINS
Graveside services were held at the Salt River Cemetery for Annette
Lynne HAWKINS, infant daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Jerry HAWKINS of
Route 4,Mt. Pleasant, on Wednesday, December 11, at 10 a.m.,
with Rev. Newton HUFFINE officiating.
Surviving besides her parents is one brother, Michael the maternal
grandparents, Mr. & Mrs. Roy DENTON of Mt. Pleasant and the
paternal grandmother, Mrs. Nina HAWKINS of Shepherd.
Garber Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.
(NO NEWSPAPER SOURCE LISTED-
Mary WRIGHT married Frank SANFORD
Frank married Ethel - several children including Esther.
(This must have been the son of Mary WRIGHT and Frank SANFORD, Sr.)
Frank Sr. worked on the Dee SHUMWAY ranch which included Hartwick
Pines. After his death, Mary married a SHUMWAY. She died in 1949 at
age 99,in Mt. Pleasant.
Frank Jr. lived in Crawford County
Mary is a 3rd generation COHOON - Samuel - Minerva married
Clark WRIGHT -- Mary.
Samuel was a brother to Lidick COHOON, great grandfather to
(this is copied just as written)
PORTRAIT - DAVID C. VROMAN
David C. VROMAN, farmer on section 27 of Coe township, is a son of
Tunis & Elizabeth (Craig) VROMAN, natives of the State of New York and
Maine. The parents first settled in Orleans Co., NY, and afterwards removed
to Jackson County, this State, where the mother died. The father yet lives in
that county. Their family numbered eight, and David C. was their second son.
He was born in Jackson County, Mary 24,1836,attended school until
17 years old and remained at home until 23 years old. In February 1859
he came with his wife to Isabella County and bought 120 acres on section
27 of Coe township. He has since disposed of 80 acres and has improved
He was married in Jackson county, this State, July 1,1858, to Julie E.,
daughter of David H. & Chloe (Sanford) GOLDSMITH. Parents
were natives of Tompkins Co., NY and the daughter was born in
Monroe County, NY on September 13, 1841.Florence M., William H.,
Walter L., Zada A., and Raymond W. are the names of their five children.
Zada A. died when a little over one year old.
Mr. and Mrs. V. are members of the Disciples' Church.
Politically, he is a Democrat.
PORTRAIT - JAMES CAMPBELL
James CAMPBELL, farmer, section 17 of Coe township, is a son of
John & Maria (Tusten) CAMPBELL, the former a native of Ireland and
later of Pennsylvania, who passed their lives in Chester Co., PA., she
dying in 1837 and he in 1859.They had seven children.
The subject of this sketch was born in the above county May 1, 1830,
was reared on a farm and educated at the common school. When of age he
came to Jackson County, this State, where for two years, he worked on a
farm by the month. In October,1854 he came to this county and entered 240 acres
of land in Coe township. He has since disposed of all but 110 acres, and
he now has 90 acres in good cultivation, with a good residence and fine
farm buildings. He was a pioneer, commencing with a log cabin in the
wilderness, and has prospered as an industrious, economical husbandman,
having now the essentials of a comfortable home. He has been Pathmaster
for several years, and is at present School Director, which office he has held
for 15 years. In national politics he is a Democrat, and in religion he,
as well as wife, are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
In September of 1864, he enlisted in the 15th Mich. Inf., and served
about nine months, receiving an honorable discharge at Washington D.C.
During his military experience he received no wound and met with no serious
Mr. CAMPBELL was married in Jackson County, Michigan January 18, 1855
to Euphemia, daughter of John & Rachel (Sloat) NEELY, who were natives
of New York State. Mrs. C. was born in Manchester, MI on 17 May 1834.
The children born in this family are: Isabella, Rachel A., Nettie, George B.,
Ada and Ella, besides Hattie and Charlie, deceased.
PORTRAIT- THOMAS J. FORDYCE
Thomas J. FORDYCE, resident at Mt. Pleasant, was born in the village
of Clinton, Greene Co., PA on September 4, 1834, and is the son of John W.
& Sally (Bane) FORDYCE. His father is a native of Greene Co., where he was
born February 13, 1813, and in early life was a tailor by profession. He is now
a resident in section 27 of Coe township, this county, where he owns 40 acres
of land. His mother was a native of Washington Co., PA, and died in May
of 1880 in Coe township.
Mr. FORDYCE was reared to the age of 17 years on his father's farm in
PA., and at that age he went to Preston County, W. VA and passed
between six and seven years in railroading, about two thirds of that time
as superintendent of a construction corps. He was married while there
on August 22, 1856 to Elizabeth TURNER, daughter of Z.C. and
Sarah TURNER. She was born January 7, 1835.After his marriage, Mr.
FORDYCE engaged with James KANE as foreman in the lumber woods of
W. VA, and operated in that capacity until the spring of 1864, when he
engaged as assistant superintendent of the Preston County Candle and
Gas Coal Company.
He remained with them until September 30, 1865, when he came to
Isabella County. He made the route by stage from St. Johns to St. Louis
and thence through the woods to Coe township, where he bought 40 acres
of timber land on section 26.On this he resided about eight years and
cleared nearly 30 acres. He sold the place in 1872 and bought 80 acres
of land on section 11 of Coe township,40 acres of which were improved
and under cultivation. The place was in his possession but one year, as he
sold it in the spring of 1873.
In the fall of 1872, Mr. FORDYCE was nominated on the Republican
ticket for Sheriff and was elected over Cornelius BOGAN by a majority
of 273 votes. He was re-elected in 1874, and a year after that expiration of his
term of office he moved to a farm of 80 acres in Chippewa, which had
previously come into his possession by exchange. Sixty acres of the place
was under cultivation and he continued to reside on and manage it until
January 1, 1884.He moved into Mt. Pleasant February 1, following and
has since continued to reside there. He owns two residences and lots in town
situated on Bennett's Addition. He is a member of the Order of Masonry and
belongs to the fraternity of Odd Fellows. he has held numerous township
offices and school offices and has officiated as constable.
PORTRAIT - JACKSON ALEXANDER
Published in 1884
Jackson ALEXANDER, farmer, section 26, Coldwater township, was
born July 4, 1827 in Washington Co., PA., and is the son of John & Mary
(Harden) ALEXANDER, both of whom were natives of the Keystone State.
The father was born in March1797, and died April 27, 1881.The mother was
born November 30, 1800, and died January 19, 1884.In 1829, the parents
removed to Jefferson County, Ohio, where the father purchased a timbered
track, which he put in fair agricultural condition, with the aid of his son, whose
labors were necessary to that work, and the maintenance of the family
from a very early age.
At 18 years of age, Mr. ALEXANDER became his own master, and he went
to Stark County, Ohio, where he spent three years as a farm laborer.In 1854, he
went to Elkhart County, Indiana, where he engaged in job work, both laborious
and profitable.He was married May 15, 1856, to Louisa, daughter of John T. &
Nancy (Carpenter) WILSON.Her parents were natives of Ohio, where they
passed their entire lives. Mr. & Mrs. ALEXANDER soon after their marriage
set out for Fillmore County, MINN., with the purpose of establishing a home on
the prairies, but the country not meeting their expectation they returned to
Elkhart, IND., where they passed the ensuing three years in farming.
Mr. ALEXANDER became a soldier in the second year of the
Civil War, enlisting August 10, 1862, in Co. G., 74th IND. Vol. Inf. The
regiment was assigned to the Army of the Cumberland, and was in action
most of the battles and skirmishes from Chattanooga to the surrender
of Joe JOHNSTON.The principal engagements were at Perryville, Tullahoma,
Chickamauga, Peach-tree Creek, Jonesboro and Kenesaw Mountain.
Mr. ALEXANDER received two wounds during the first day's fight at
Chickamauga, one in the neck from a stray shot in a flank movement by
the rebels, early in the day and a second, about four in the afternoon, in the
right arm above the elbow. He was mustered out of the service June 21, 1865,
and returned home.
He spent a year on a rented farm, and the last days of October, 1866, came to
Isabella County, MI. He at once entered the first papers on the property which
has since been his home, and in May 1867, he returned and built his home.
In September following, he came hither with his wife and three children.
The journey from Elkhart with a team was a memorable one and characteristic
of the variety of incidents in pioneer life. The distance traversed was 200 miles.
They made the route without mishap until near Schafer's tavern, 27 miles
north of Ionia, at the edge of a piece of pine woods,17 miles in extent,
which they reached one day about noon. They cooked their dinner, and hoped
to get through the woods before dark. There was no road, only a blazed tree now
and then marked the route which wound in every possible direction to avoid
trees. At dark they had traversed but half the distance, and they encamped
on the bank of the Pine River. After breakfast, they set out, but had gone
only half a mile when one of the hind wheels of the wagon "dished" inwards
and forced five spokes out of the fellow. A man passed them soon after, and
with his aid Mr. ALEXANDER bound staves on the wheel rim and started on.
The wheel soon gave out again, and Mr. A. cut a sapling and bound
the larger end to the front axle. On this he rested the hind axle while the
bush end of the sapling dragged on the ground. This failed to work well,
and the draught upon his team being too great he concluded to leave his
family and seek assistance. He walked seven miles to the house of a Mr.
GARNETT, where he could obtain a wagon but no team. So he returned for
his team, hoping to be back with the wagon to his family before dark. He
started back, but in the night, which overtook him before he had made much
progress, his team stopped and Mr. ALEXANDER found a fallen pine obstructed
the route. Further progress was impossible and he sat in the wagon all night,
his thoughts busy with his wife and children six miles away, whom he
knew to be mortal terror of bears and Indians. The first streak of light found
him on the way to his family, whom he found in safety and his wife
engaged in cooking the morning meal. The had suffered much from
terror during the early part of the night, but fatigue overruled fear and
commending herself and her sleeping children to Him who was her only
stay, the wife and mother at last fell asleep. The moved forward to Mr.
GARNETT's, where Mr. ALEXANDER spent two days in labor, to pay
for the use of the wagon to convey them to their destination.
Their claim was located near that of Mr. H. A. BRUBAKER, where they hoped
to obtain shelter, until a roof could be put on their own house. They reached
Mr. BRUBAKER'S about 10 o'clock at night, received a cordial welcome, and
after a substantial supper, retired to the bed of their huts (hosts?).
The kindness and encouragement they met with were a great relief, and
lifted a heavy burden from their hearts. Mr. ALEXANDER returned the rented
wagon and took his own to Millbrook for repairs. He set out for Elkhart for
another load of goods, which he obtained, and when within five miles of his
home, on his return, the other hind wheel gave out. He left his load, obtained a
wagon from Mr. BRUBAKER, and in the company of his wife, went back for his
goods, which he found all there save a dish of wagon grease. The loaded up and
started back, but had gone but half a mile when the wagon tipped over. Darkness
set in before they were ready to move on again, and Mr. ALEXANDER took
the lead, while his wife drove the team. Half a mile from home, they were met
by Mr. BRUBAKER with a lantern and a basket of lunch. This permanent
record of kindness received from their friend but poorly expresses their sense of
an indebtedness which was its own reward. In a few days the family of Mr.
ALEXANDER were under the shelter of their own roof and entered upon their
struggle in the wilderness.
During the firs year of his residence in Isabella County, Mr. ALEXANDER
paid $34. 50 a barrel of pork, while the next year he could buy fresh pork for
$11 a hundred, for flour he paid the first year $18 a barrel, for seed potatoes
$1.50 a bushel and for wheat $2.50 a bushel.
Following is the record of the children, eight in number, born to Mr. & Mrs.
ALEXANDER: Mary Ellen - b. 10 August 1857 at Fillmore, MINN; Hattie
Margaretta - b. 10 May 1860;Frances Elizabeth - b. 4 October 1862;
Lulu Lorenia - b. 9 March 1867 (d. the day following); The three last named
children above were born in Elkhart, IND; The four below were born in
Coldwater township: Alice Carrie - b. 6 February 1871;Jessie Blanche - b.
15 June 1874;Amy Adell - b. 22 July 1876 and Harvey Maynard - b. 29
PORTRAIT - JOHN J. GRIMM
John J. GRIMM, farmer, section 34 of Gilmore township, was born February 13, 1826
in Greene County, PA, and is the son of Christopher & Sarah (Parker) GRIMM.
His father was of German birth and his mother was a native of New Jersey,
both died in Green County, PA
After he was 20 years of age, Mr. GRIMM served an apprenticeship of 18 months,
learning the trade of shoemaking, to which he devoted several years. He
began his work in that line in his native county and pursued the same vocation in
West Va. In the fall of 1865 he purchased 40 acres of land in Coe township,
Isabella County. It was in a wholly wild condition, and he took possession of
it with his family February 28, 1866.In the spring of 1879, he exchanged his
"40" in Coe township for 160 acres in the township of Gilmore, on which he
has since carried on the work of clearing, improving and cultivating.
He was married October 29, 1854, in his native county, to Elizabeth, the
daughter of Martin & Nancy (Martin) FOX. The grandsires of Mrs. GRIMM
were both soldiers of the was of the Revolution. Her parents are living near
Morgantown, W.VA, aged respectively 94 and 88 years. Five of six
children born to Mr. & Mrs. GRIMM are living. Following is the record:
Oscar M., b. 10 August 1855;Martin L, b. 18 March 1860;William S., b.
27 May 1862;Nancy J. b. 11 Mar 1865;Clarence N. b. 14 May 1869 (died
June 23 following); Hiram H. b. 6 April 1872.
The parents are members of the Disciples' Church. Mr. GRIMM is a
Republican in political sentiment.
FROM THERESA HUDDLE - NIECE OF MRS. MOYER
CLARA HITCHCOCK MOYER
Clara Hitchcock MOYER wrote for the Alma Record when she was
92 years old. She was a school teacher at the Howard School, before that.
Later she was elected Justice of the Peace.
She married William MOYER, but they never had any children.
She died at 101 and is buried at Oak Grove Cemetery in St. Louis, MI,
on the west and near the old band stand.
She attended normal school both at Alma and Mt. Pleasant.
Clara MOYER"S parents were Henry and Julia Ann (Howland) HITCHCOCK.
Julia was a daughter of John R. and Betsy HOWLAND; she was born on
11 August 1844 and died October 22, 1926.There were four children
in the HITCHCOCK family - Clara, Ralph (who lived to be 90), Sam and Bert.
On MOTHERS DAY, Mrs. MOYER would cut flowers from her own flower
beds and take them to church and give white ones to the ladies whose
mothers were deceased and colored flowers to those with living mothers.
© 1999 -
All Rights Reserved