(transcribed by: L. Johnson)
John Otterbine came to Weidman in 1903 and rented a building of Royal Gibbs on the site where the telephone office is now, where a store had been started. He later bought the building and moved it to the corner of Main and Third, where he ran a barber shop. This building was later sold to Leon Smith and was moved to its present site where it is used as the postoffice.
Leon Smith also had a jewelry shop in this building. His wife, Daphne, was postmaster for many years, moving from Weidman to royal Oak, where they now reside. The building was bought by the present postmaster, Leo Neubecker, and is still used as the post office.
John bought the building he now owns south of the Woolworth building and moved it to its present site. It was east of what is now the Weidman Café and was occupied by Ralph Gardner, who ran a barber shop and lived in the rear.
John at present is a resident of Mt. Pleasant, but like Charlie Woolworth, he still seems one of us.
© 2002 - 2009
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Volunteers hold copyright to the material they have donated for this site. Not to be copied and used in any format to any other site or in any other media.
THIS SITE IS PART OF THE MIGENWEB PROJECT
MIGenWeb Official Notices and Disclaimer
This server space page is provided by Michigan Family History Network genealogical server.