The Enterprise: CASS MOSHER
Cass MOSHER, a resident of this city for many years, but of late living in Rosebush, died Friday, Dec. 12. The funeral was from his daughterís home Sunday at 11 oíclock. Rev. Whitney of the M. E. Church of Rosebush officiated, interment in Riverside. Mr. Mosher was born at Scio, Michigan in 1847. His boyhood days were spent at Ann Arbor, coming to Isabella county in 1863. He is survived by his widow and three children. Mrs.Cornelia Hankins of Lansing, Mrs. Nelson Mosher of Rosebush, and Julian P. Mosher of Mt. Pleasant.
J. A. Fancher tells of early life of Mr. Mosher.
Cass Mosher, one of the oldest and earliest pioneers of Isabella county has passed to his last resting place. Having settled in Mt. Pleasant with his fatherís family in the early 60ís when all the county was a wilderness and waste of timber with no advantages of schools or business enterprises. His father, a lawyer and surveyor was already in business here, had secured a lot on Broadway and had made some preparation for a dwelling. Cass, a bright and genial young man soon secured a position as clerk in a store in Mt. Pleasant where he remained for some time and as the village commenced to grow and lumbering and farming increased in volume, he found employment in the laying out, establishing and building of state swamps and roads. His genius for language soon put him in possession of sufficient knowledge of the Indian language so that he could converse with them on all ordinary subjects. Many, many days and nights have we spent with eight or ten Indians on the trails and in the wilderness, wading through the swamps and crossing the creeks, sleeping on pine and cedar boughs for a bed. Cass was always cheerful and pleasant in his work and from that rude and rough beginning we have come down through the changes of environment.
On February 1877, he was married to Miss Cephisa Albright and they have brought up a good substantial family which sustains the standing and reputation of the Moshers of old.
It is pleasant to recall that for many years past, every time we met it was a pleasant hand shake and a hearty greeting and what is better than to feel and realize that the friendship of the years gone by has continued to the end.
His death has removed from our midst the last local pioneer of 1863.
Mr. and Mrs. James E.
In 1870, Louis Stearnes, deceased, father of Mrs. John Wadle, built and owned the house now owned and occupied by E. M. Morton on Broadway, and about two years ago Mr. Morton re-shingled the house and found an old hand made shingle with 1870 and Mr. Stearnís name on it. The shingle was mislaid and just recently found and given to Mrs. Wadle. Of course she prizes it very highly, both as her fatherís handwork, and of the house where she was born.
Copyright © 2004 - 2005 all
rights reserved of submission and transcription by
Cathy Benedict, html coding and
Volunteers hold copyright to the material they have donated for this site. Not to be copied and used in any format to any other site or in any other media.
THIS SITE IS PART OF THE MIGENWEB PROJECT
MIGenWeb Official Notices and Disclaimer
This server space page is provided by Michigan Family History Network genealogical server.