The following is the population of the villages of the county: Mount Pleasant 1,115; Blanchard 271; Salt River 194; Loomis 215; Dushville 102.
Mt. Pleasant Union school report for month ending July 3, 1881:
High school enrolled 22
Grammar department 36
Intermediate department 57
Primary department 53
Whole number enrolled 168
Average attendance 122
The salaries paid in the Union School in 1881:
High school $700
Grammar grades $400
Intermediate room $344
Potatoes are very high, selling here for 20 and 25 cents a peck.
The firm of Fancher and Dodds Bros. has been dissolved. The firm will hereafter be Dodds Bros.
The new Methodist Church will be built on lots near the residence of Cass Mosher and will cost about $10,000.
Mrs. R. A. Stilwell, formerly of Mt. Pleasant, has now become Mrs. R. A. Williamson and orders the enterprise sent to her at Titusville, New Jersey.
The U.S. Marshall has been here “murder will out”.
There is considerable excitement in town just
now from the fact that U.S. Marshall Pennell of Detroit has been here and
served papers in cases commenced against several prominent citizens for alleged
trespasses consisting of several million of feet of timber taken from Indian
reservation lands. Indian agent Mark Stevens charges some of the
prominent lumber dealers of this county with having for years robbed the Indians
of Michigan and the government of extensive tracts of valuable timber lands.
Oats .28, eggs .12, wheat .69, butter .12, potatoes .50, clover seed $6.00.
It still continues hot and dry—no rain to speak of for several weeks.
The wedding of Miss Annetta Oberholtzer to Mell Angel took place August 1, at the home of a relative of the bride, Mrs. F. W. Carr.
The Bennett House has been operated for nearly a year by Messrs. Milton & Malette, who have not been able to agree very well of late, hence one of the proprietors sold to the other. Mr. Malette continues to run the house.
County drain commissioner, A. Brodie with W. D. Arnold, for engineer were laying out drains.
136 loads of logs were drawn to the basket factory yesterday. Still they come.
A bill appropriating $30,000.00 to the establishing of an Indian school in this city passed the senate yesterday.
Marriage licenses: Barrett N. Pragg of Mt. Pleasant and Mary Whaley of Chippewa; George L. Granger and Emily Loomis, Mt. Pleasant; A. A. Scoby and Mary Ward of Rolland.
Gorham Bros. have received at their mill over 600,000 feet of basswood and logs the past ten days.
The Business College is to move into a suite of rooms in the commercial block known as the South Hall.
July 6, 1881
On Saturday afternoon at about three o’clock, the corner stone of the new schoolhouse, which will be one of the handsomest buildings in town when completed, was laid at the northeast corner of the building in accordance with the usual custom. There were no formal exercises, but a number of gentlemen and a few ladies were present to see the stone placed in position. The stone, which was 12 x 20 inches, bore the following inscription:
F. W. Hollister, architect
(Geo.) Lance and Whitney, builders
J. M. Shafer, mason
(Geo. H.), Mason and (J. W.) Fitzgerald, cut-stone work.
Margaret O’Brien, Wenatachee, Wash. 1916
John C. Wood, Newberry, Ore (from Deerfield twp.) 1912
Ernest Ford, Kern, Calif. 1905
T. W. Sanders, Cottage Hill, Escambia Co., Florida 1902
Mrs. Char. Collier (4 children; 2 boys & 2 girls), East End, Saskatchawan, Canada 1915
Mrs. Jennie Brodie, Punta Gorda, Florida
J. E. Coughlin, Ship Creek, Alaska, Alaska Engineering Commission.
Mrs. Frank Butler, Easton, Maryland (Father Sheldon’s daughter)
Copyright © 2004 - 2009 all
rights reserved of submission and transcription by
html coding and graphics by Donna Hoff-Grambau
Volunteers hold copyright to the material they have donated for this site. Not to be copied and used in any format to any other site or in any other media.
THIS SITE IS PART OF THE MIGENWEB PROJECT
MIGenWeb Official Notices and Disclaimer
This server space page is provided by Michigan Family History Network genealogical server.