December 16, 1915


Laura M. Conkling of Shepherd died at her home Sunday morning after an illness extending over several years, from Bright's disease.

Miss Conkling was born in Chippewa township April 29, 1873 and has always resided in Isabella county.  She was one of a family of seven children, three brothers, Ernest C. of Gratiot Co., Wilbur H and Clark J. of this county, and two sisters, Mrs. Carrie Brownridge of Winn and Mrs.  (unreadable) Childs of Breckenridge.  Her other sister, Miss Maude Conkling, died five years ago.

The deceased has been a great sufferer but has displayed a great deal of courage and patient through it all.

Besides the brothers and sisters, she leaves a bereaved mo

there, (unreadable) Zillah Conkling, the father dying seven years ago.  There are also many other relatives and friends to mourn her departure.

The funeral was held yesterday afternoon from the Christian church of Shepherd, where she has been a member for a number of years.  Rev J. C. Meese of St. Louis conducted the services.  The O. C. S. of which she was a member attended the funeral in a body.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *



March 25, 1915



Mrs. Chas. Young died at her home here Saturday morning at six o'clock after a long illness from the effects of chronic appendicitis.  In the passing of Mrs. Young, the home, church and community loses a loving and beloved friend who was (article becomes unreadable  - will pick out what I can read and list as follows:)

Euphemia Koyl was one of eight children of Nelson and Mary Ann Koyl and her birth took place June (?), 1850 at Dorchester, Canada, where she grew to womanhood, and when 22 years old was married to Samuel Kennedy.  Upon the death of this husband of five years, later lived with her parents again until marred in 1870 to Chas. D. Young and with him she came to Leaton in the spring of 1882, and here she stayed until her recent summons to  (?) home with the Father.  Grieving for her departure, yet rejoicing in (?) rich inheritance are the husband, Chas. D. Young, three step children, Wm. and Chas Young and Mrs. (?) VanCisc; three brothers, A. Koyl of Montana, John Koyl of Shepherd, and R. C. Koyl of Chippewa;  and four sisters, Mrs. Wm. Near of Saginaw, Mrs. C. Travis and Mrs. W. Nichol of Shepherd.

The funeral services where held in the M. E. Church at Leaton under the able direction of Mr. Simpson of Mt. Pleasant.  Rev. R. Norton preached the sermon from Eph. 1, 20-21 and Rev Davis of Shepherd voiced the 

(?) appreciation of the beautiful character of the deceased in the ending eulogy.

The casket was covered with floral tributes and those acting as bearers were (?), Messrs, Watson, Welsh, Kellar and Spickerman.  The burial took place in Denver township cemetery.

The out of town people present were:  J. Koyl, Wm. Nichol and Henry Ruckle and son Clare, of Shepherd;  Mr. and Mrs. R (?), and Mr. and Mrs. A. Cornell of Chippewa;  S. Travis and wife, Mrs. ?kipson, Mrs. Wm. Taylor and Laura Hall of Mt. Pleasant, Mr. and Mrs. Chas. VanCisc of Rosebush and (?) Young of Detroit and Mrs. Gruber (I think) of Traverse City.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *                             


May 27, 1915


One of the saddest accidents in the history of Coe township occurred on Thursday afternoon when an Ann Arbor train ran into a carriage at the Kennedy crossing just south of Salt River corners, which resulted in the death of Mrs. E. G. Faunce and the injury of her husband.

Mr. and Mrs. Faunce, who reside southeast of town had been in tow shopping and were on their way home.  The were riding in a top buggy and the day being stormy, the side curtains were on.  The crossing under favorable circumstances is a dangerous one, for despite the fact that there is a clear view of the track for some distance, the crossing is on an angle which necessitates turning nearly around in order to see an approaching train.

Owing to the fact that the curtains were up and the wind and rain making considerable noise they were not aware of their danger until the train was right upon them, when Mrs. Faunce exclaimed : "Oh!  the train!" and almost instantly the engine hit them.

Judging from the condition of the things at the scene of the accident, the train must have struck about squarely in the center of the buggy, the compact throwing the horse around, the engine striking it in the right hind quarter and throwing it some thirty or forty feet into the ditch on the east side of the road.  The animal was not instantly killed but was so badly injured that it was dispatched with a revolver shot by one of the train crew.

The running gear of the buggy was carried some twenty-five foot past the cattle guards and thrown to the right of the track a mass of broken wood and twisted and bended iron.  Mrs. Faunce was carried a few feet further on before being thrown off and still farther on Mr. Faunce was hurled to one side.  The seat and top remained on the pilot and was removed after the train was brought to a stop.

The train was backed up and Mrs. Faunce was found to be unconscious, while he was able to sit up and help himself on the train with some assistance.  They were taken to this hospital at Alma where it was found that Mrs. Faunce has sustained a fractured skull and a broken shoulder.  She died about four o'clock the following morning without regaining consciousness.  Mr. Faunce received some severe bruises but nothing of a serious nature and returned to Shepherd Sunday.

When the wrecked buggy is viewed it is almost impossible to conceive how either occupant escaped without meeting instant death.  The only solution can be that they remained in the top until they were rolled out to one side of the track.

A peculiar incident is the fact that this accident occurred just three years to a day after Mr. Gillman met his death at the crossing on Wright Ave.  It was almost exactly the same kind of a day and the same engine was attached to the train on each occasion, although a different engineer was in charge.

The sad accident has caused a feeling of gloom to pervade over the community and the bereft husband and other relatives have the deepest sympathy of all in their sorrow over the sudden call of their loved one.

The story was at first circulated that the train failed to give warning, but this has since been contradicted.

Mr. and Mrs. Faunce had resided in this present location for years and had passed over this crossing thousands of times without accident.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



Different article on same accident reported above

dated May 27, 1915


A very sad accident occurred last Thursday afternoon, when the south bound passenger train on the Ann Arbor railroad struck a carriage at Kennedy's crossing, south of Shepherd and injured the occupants, Mr. and Mrs. E. G. Faunce so seriously that Mrs. Faunce died twelve hours later and Mt. Faunce is suffering from very painful bruises and a badly sprained ankle.

Mr. and Mrs. Faunce who live a mile and a half south of Shepherd drove to the village Thursday morning and took dinner with their daughter, Mrs. Eva McClellen and after dinner made a short visit at the home of their other daughter, Mrs. L. N. Shepherd, before starting for home.  The day, it will be remembered, was rainy and they had the side curtains on the carriage and were driving one of their farm horses.  The first that they realized their danger was when Mrs. Faunce cried "oh, the train," and Mr. Faunce says it was only a couple of seconds until the train struck them.  The horse was broken loose from the buggy, which was carried twenty or twenty-five feet with the occupants and then rolled off the engine beside the track.

The train was brought to a halt after running a little better than it's length.  A. L. White of Shepherd, one of the passengers in the smoker heard one of the men say that a carriage had been struck as they passed the crossing and before the train had stopped, was at the door and was the third one to reach the side of the injured ones.  The danger signal had aroused several near-by residents who rushed to the scene.  The train backed down to the crossing and Mrs. Faunce was first taken to the baggage car and Mr. Faunce, who never lost consciousness, was trying to help himself up when someone came to his aid and the two were taken to Alma and placed in Brainard's Hospital, where Mrs. Faunce died at 3:15 o'clock Friday morning.  Dr. Gardner, the railroad physician at Alma was in attendance.  Later Dr. Young of Shepherd was called to see Mr. Faunce.  Beside suffering from concussion of the brain, Mrs. Faunce also sustained a broken shoulder.  Mr. Faunce was brought to the Shepherd home Sunday afternoon.

The horse was only thrown a few feet, and was injured so badly that one of the trainmen shot it.  Those who saw the wreck say that it would take a man hours with the use of an ax to break the buggy in the small pieces that it is in.

Geo. Loomis was driving a span of colts south of Shepherd and was only a short distance back of Mr. and Mrs. Faunce when the accident occurred, but was watching his horses and did not see it.  The accident occurred just one half mile from the home they had lived in for thirty eight years.

The news first reached Shepherd through Mrs. Carl Moore phoning to the depot, but she did not know who the victims were.  (first name unreadable) Kennedy, John Maas and James Moore all living near the crossing were the first to reach the scene and the former phoned F. M. Taylor to convey the news to the children, Mrs. McClellen and Mrs. Shepherd, and Roy Faunce, who started at once for their parents side.

It was three years ago to the day that the same engine struck Flagman Hezekiah Gillman at the Shepherd crossing and killed him.

Mr. and Mrs. Faunce and their three children came to this county and settled on a farm in Coe township that has since been their home.  They were hard working, honest people, prospered and in time added more land to their farm.  A cozy home was erected and in their advanced years, they were taking a great deal of enjoyment in life.  Their frequent visits to their children were a pleasure to both parents and children and it was on their return from one of these visits that the fatal accident occurred. As Mrs. Faunce left the home of her daughter, Mrs. McClellen Thursday afternoon she remarked that she would come often now that winter had gone and warmer weather had come.  They were the noblest of parents, good Christian people and had hosts of friends who mourn with the bereaved husband and children over the loss of wife and mother.

Syrion L., daughter of Orrin R. and Louisa (King) GATES, natives of Vermont and Ohio, was born November 13, 1849 in Trumbull county, Ohio where she spent the early part of her life and where she was married November 26, 1868 to Ellis G. Faunce.  Mr. Faunce was also a native of Trumbull county being born October 1, 1846.

Their first home was in Monroe county, this state, where Mr. Faunce bought an eighty acre farm.  After seven years in Monroe county they sold their farm and Mr. Faunce was employed in a grist mill in Allen County, Ohio for one and one-half years.  It was from this place that they came to Isabella county.  Two daughter and one son, Mrs. Eva McClellen and Mrs. Leila B. Shepherd of Shepherd and Orrin L. Faunce, who lives on a farm near this village were born to this union.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Faunce united with the Christian church in their early years and were devout Christians.  Mrs. Faunce's father, the Rev. Orrin R. Gates, was well known in this section, having held the charge at each, St. Louis, Forest Hills and Shepherd.  It was at the latter place that he instigated the building of the Christian church, which Mr. and Mrs. Faunce have since done their part in supporting.

The funeral for Mrs. Faunce was held Monday afternoon at two o'clock from the Christian church, Rev. Wolford of Owosso, assisted by Rev. J. C. Meese of St. Louis, conducted the services.  Interment took place in Salt River Cemetery.



*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



Mrs. Ellis G. Faunce

no date on this one


Syrion Louisa, daughter of Rev. Orrin and Rachael Louisa Gates, was born November 13, 1849 at Chardon, Geauga County, Ohio, and died May 21, 1915 at Brainard Hospital, Alma, Mich., at her death being 65 years, 6 months and 8 days old.

Early in life she, with her parents, moved to Trumbull County, Ohio.  At the age of 13 years she became a member of the Christian church and has lived a consistent Christian life ever since.

November 26, 1868 she was united in marriage to Ells G. Faunce.  Soon after their marriage they moved to Monroe Co., Mich., where they resided seven years.  During this time the two oldest children, Eva Estella and Orwin Leroy were born.

From there they moved to Allen County, Ohio, where they resided one and one-half years.  At this place the youngest child, Lila Bell, was born.

Feb. 28, 1877, they moved to Isabella County, Mich., onto a farm which they bought on Sec 21 and on which they have since resided.

Rev. Orrin Gates, father of Mrs. Faunce, was one of the pioneer ministers of Ohio and has preached at St. Louis, Forest Hill, Shepherd and other places in Michigan.  He was instrumental in building the church at Shepherd.

She leaves to mourn their loss her husband, her three children, Mrs. ?Eva McClellan, O. Leroy Faunce and Mrs. Lila Shepherd, and one grandson, Merle McClellan, all of Shepherd, and five sisters and one brother.

The funeral was held at the Christian church, Monday at 2 p.m., conducted by Pastor Wolford, assisted by Rev. J. C. Meese of St. Louis, Mich., who was formerly pastor here for four years.

Of her five sisters, Mrs. Jennie Martin of St. Louis and her brother, Prof. Errett Gates of Chicago University, were present at the funeral.

In this sad bereavement the family feel the loss of a devoted and loving wife and mother.

(**Card of Thanks from: Ellis G. Faunce, O. Leroy Faunce, I. N. Shepherd, Mrs. Lila Shepherd, Mrs. Eva McClellan and Merle O. McClellan.)


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



Della Gaudard

April 8, 1915


Della, wife of Jerome Gaudard, near Winn, died Saturday morning about 7:30, after an illness of three weeks from the effects of brain fever.  She was not many years past 50 and was such a sunny-natured, loving wife and mother and such a whole-hearted friend of all, that her host of relatives and friends cannot but feel her death was untimely, yet her life was so full of work well done that no one can question that the Master did well to give her rest.  Detailed arrangements regarding the funeral are not yet fully known, but interment will take place in the cemetery near here and Rev. Norton will have charge of the services there.  The funeral will leave the family home early Tuesday morning, passing through Leaton about noon, and relatives and friends near here may  (rest of article is missing).


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


Mrs. Geo. Murtha Succumbs After Short Illness

April 1, 1915


It is with deep sadness that the many friends of Mrs. Geo. Murtha received the news of her death Wednesday afternoon of last week.  Mrs. Murtha was stricken down with pneumonia Monday but was rallying from that disease, when her heart, naturally weak, refused to perform it's work properly and she lived only a few hours, death claiming her shortly after noon Wednesday.

The deceased was born in Williams county, Ohio November 14, 1856 and on July 1, 1876 was united in marriage to Geo. Murtha in this county, where they have since made their home.  They first settled on a farm just north of Shepherd, where four children were born to them:  Mabel, Winnie, Leslie and Zillah.  The three former are now in California and were unable to reach home in time for the funeral which was held Tuesday morning at 9:30 o'clock from her late home on East High Street in this city, where she had lived the past eight years.  Rev. James Pinckard officiating and from  here the remains were taken to the home of her brother, N. W. Struble, at Shepherd where a short service was held, conducted by Rev. C. E. Davis, after which burial took place in Salt River cemetery beside her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Struble.

Besides the bereaved husband and four children she leaves one sister and four brothers, Mrs Zillah Conkling,  N. W., J. H., A. G., and K. E. Struble, all of Shepherd.  (*Note:  the spelling of the name Martha/Murtha are as they appear in this article)


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


Melinda Guthrie

February 13, 1915


On the morn of Feb. 13, 1915, when all were gathered around the breakfast table, a beautiful angel entered and took to her home in heaven, Melinda, the beloved wife of John Guthrie.  Mrs. Guthrie had been in very poor health for some time, but dressed as usual and came to the breakfast table, but said she did not care for anything as she felt sick and weak.  She bowed her head on her hands and passed quietly away.

Mrs. Melinda Guthrie was born in Dekalb County, Indiana, November 17, 1850 and at the age of 25 years came with her parents to Michigan, settling in Lincoln township, Isabella County, and in the year of 1876 was united in marriage to John Guthrie and for the past 5 years they have lived on their farm 1/2 mile west and 1/2 mile south of Brownridge church.  She was the mother of three sons and one daughter, all of whom are living.  Besides her four children she leaves to mourn her loss, two brothers, one sister, nieces, nephews, 16 grand children and a loving husband.

She became a Christian at the age of 35 and 22 years ago united with the M. E. church.  She was a noble woman, loved and esteemed by all.  She always had a word of sympathy and comfort for the afflicted ones, was a loyal friend and neighbor and leaves not only the immediate family, but a host of friends as well to mourn her death.  The funeral services were held at the Baptist church.  She was laid to rest in the Green Cemetery.  She will be greatly missed in the house and neighborhood.  The bereaved family have the sympathy of all in their sorrow.

We miss you from our home dear mother, We miss you from thy place... A shadow over our life is cast:  We miss the sunshine at thy face.  We miss thy kind and willing hand, thy fond and earnest care, our home is dark without you, We miss you everywhere.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             

Mrs. Milanda Guthrie

Feb 13, 1915


Mrs. Malinda Guthrie who has been in failing health the past few years died Saturday morning, February 13, at her home one-half mile west and half mile south of the Brownridge church at the age of 54 years, 2 months and 27 days.

Malinda Kelley was born in Dekalb County, Indiana November 17, 1850 and came with her mother to Isabella county in 1874.

In 1876 she was united in marriage to John Guthrie and spent the greater part of their married life in this vicinity having lived at Alma just a few years.  Four children blessed this union, all of whom are living and were with her in her last sickness, one daughter, Mrs. Frank Demming, and three sons, Ora, Melvin and Zoen, all of this place.

The deceased was a noble woman and devout Christian.

Besides the husband and four children, she leaves sixteen grand children and one sister, Mrs. Jas Flansburg of Alma, and two brothers, Chas and Wm. Kelly of Mt. Pleasant, and many other relatives and friends to mourn her death.

The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon, Feb. 16, at the Baptist church and was conducted by Rev. V. Buxton of Mt. Pleasant.  Interment at Hapner Cemetery.

Gone from a world of sadness,

Gone from a bed of pain,

Gone to eternal gladness

Never to weep again.

*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



Arthur G. Baker Lived in Coe Township

April 15, 1915




Mrs. M. L. Godsmark of Lincoln Township

Arthur L. Dibble  of Mt. Pleasant - Young Man



Arthur G. Baker


Arthur G. Baker, who has been in failing health for nearly three and a half years and for some time has been practically helpless died Sunday at the home of his sister, Mrs. John C. Warner, 203 Chippewa St., where he made his home for over two years.

Mr. Baker was born August 7, 1863, at Harford, N.Y. and forty-five years of his life was spent on a farm about two miles east of Shepherd.  October 22, 1902 he was united in marriage to Miss Mattie Balch and to them a little son was born, who only lived twelve days.  Mrs. Baker died June 11, 1912.  The November previous Mr. Baker suffered a stroke of paralysis and was in a very critical condition for some time but rallied only to suffer another stroke and rendered him helpless.

A short funeral service was held at the J. C. Warner home yesterday morning at eleven o'clock, and the remains were taken to Shepherd, where services were held at the M. E. church, Rev. James Pinckard officiating.  Burial took place in Salt River Cemetery.

The deceased leaves one brother, Charles E. Baker, of near Shepherd and one sister, Mrs. John C. Warner.

(*Note:  there was no article on the other two deaths;  Mrs. Godsmark or Arthur Dibble)


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *                             



November 28, 1915


Anna Agnes Stewart was born December 23, 1851 at Yarmouth, Ontario Prov., Canada.  Her early life was spent in the vicinity of the place of her birth.  December 10, 1870 she was united in marriage to David Bradt.

To this union nine children were born to whom six survive their mother.

Mr. and Mrs. Bradt moved to Michigan 28 years ago, making their home in Chesaning, Saginaw Co.  About 6 years later they moved to Midland Co., and 6 years following that to Isabella county, where they resided on a farm for one year, moving from there to Shepherd village, which place has been their home for the past 13 years.

Some 30 years ago, Mrs. Bradt made public confession of her faith in Christ and obeyed her Lord in Christian baptism uniting with the Baptist church.  About 6 years ago she united with the Christian church in this place.  Hers has been a humble and conscientious walk with her Lord and Master.

November 27, 1915, Mrs. Bradt was taken with her last illness.  After bearing great pain with Christian fortitude for 17 days she departed this life December 14, 1915, aged 63 years, 11 months and 19 days.

She leaves a husband, four sons, Archie, Morely and Armour of this place and Thaunie of Herrick, Idaho, two daughters, Mrs. F. W. Girth of Seattle, Washington and Mrs. F. M. Patrick of Grand Rapids, Michigan and five grandchildren, one brother, Gilbert McPhall of Cleveland, Ohio, besides a large circle of friends to mourn her loss.

(*Card of Thanks was sent by D. L. Bradt and Family)


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             




December 13, 1915


Mrs. Rebecca Trimmer Koyle was born in Walpole, Haldimand Co, Ontario May 18, 1853.  She was married to John Koyle in 1875 in Avon (unreadable) Middlesex Co., and departed this life Dec. 13, 1915

She was converted in the M. E. church at Avon at the age of 20 and lived a true Christian life to the last.

For the past 14 years she has lived in and around Shepherd, the last four months being spent in the home of her daughter, Mrs. Henry Ruckle, where she passed beyond.  She was a kind and loving mother and an affectionate wife.  She leaves to mourn their loss a husband, one daughter, Mrs. Henry Ruckle, one grandson, three sisters and three brothers, four sisters and four brothers having preceded her to the final

(unreadable).  Funeral services were held at the M E church Tuesday at 1 o'clock, Rev. Davis officiating.  Interment in Salt River Cemetery.

**Card of Thanks from:  John Koyle, Henry Ruckle, Nellie Ruckle and C. J. S. Ruckle.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


James Silvernall

November 10, 1915


James Silvernall was born near Lickley's Corners, Hillsdale County, Michigan May 3, 1869 and departed this life November 10, 1915, aged 46 years, 6 months and 7 days.

Mr. Silvernall was united in marriage to Miss Harriet M. Moore on December 24, 1889.  To this union three children were born, two sons, Ray and Clair and one daughter, Mrs. Floyd Gruber.

For quite a number of years Mr. and Mrs. Silvernall lived near Pioneer, Ohio.  In 1902 they moved to Pleasant Valley, Midland Co., Mich., which place has ever since been their home.

Mr. Silvernall's death was a great shock to the neighborhood in which he lived, as he had been ill with is last sickness less than a week.  By his attitude toward all things enterprising and honorable he had won a high place in the esteem of his community.

Mr. Silvernall leaves a wife, three children, two grandchildren and two brothers as immediate relatives.

The two brothers, John and Eber Silvernall, of Camden, Mich., and the brother and sister by marriage, A. M. Moore of Bryan, Ohio, and Mrs. F. M. Moore of Detroit, were in attendance at the funeral.

The funeral was held Saturday afternoon at the M E church in Pleasant Valley.  It was conducted by Rev. J. C. Meese of St. Louis.  Interment was made in the Shepherd Cemetery.

(** Card of Thanks:  Mrs. James E. Silvernall)


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


Fred A. Hart

November 15, 1915


Fred A. Hart was born in Summit Co., Ohio Sept. 6, 1857 and died at Fowler, Mich., Nov 15, 1915, aged 58 years, 2 months and 9 days.

In 1884 he came to Isabella County, Mich.  One year later he was united in marriage to Miss Alice Leonard.

Mr. and Mrs. Hart moved on a farm near Coe Village and for many years were identified with the community.

In 1886 Mr Hart obeyed the gospel and united with the Church of Christ at Coe.

Several years ago Mr. and Mrs. Hart moved to Fowler, Mich., at which place Mr. Hart departed this life after an illness of about 18 months duration.

Mr. Hart leaves a wife, one son, Neal of Fowler, one daughter, Mrs. Mildred Partle, of Ovid, Mich., besides other relatives and many friends to mourn his loss.

The funeral was held at the Coe church Wednesday afternoon, Nov. 17, 1915, and was conducted by Rev. J. D. Meese of St. Louis, assisted by Rev. J. C. Curch of Coe.  Interment in Coe Cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


February 25, 1915


Mrs. Roy Moore, formerly Miss Edna Thomas, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Thomas, living on the south county line, died at her home in Detroit the forepart of last week, after a short illness from peritonitis.  The remains were brought to Forest Hill Thursday and the funeral was held from the Parkinson M E church the same afternoon, Rev. C. E. Davis of the Shepherd M E  church officiating.  Mrs Moore would have been twenty three years old in March.  She leaves besides her husband and two year old baby daughter, her parents, three sisters and one brother.  The remains were placed in the vault in Salt River Cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


Mary Bothwell Girven

January 14, 1915


Mary Bothwell Girven was born in Girvan, Scotland October 8, 1834 and died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Harry Milliken, in Shepherd Jan. 14, 1915 age 80 years, 3 months and 6 days.

She came to America with her parents fifty-nine years ago and settled in Carroll County, Ohio.  One year later she was united in marriage to Andrew Girven and commenced house keeping in Pittsburg, PA., where they resided four years, returning to Carroll County for six years.

In 1866 they came to Isabella County and bought the old home farm which they could not occupy on account of no road leading to it or no bridge over Salt River.

Three years later they moved onto their farm, which they had improved and on which they built a shanty.  Here they enjoyed and suffered all the pleasures and hardships of pioneer life.

October 17, 1884, her husband passed to the Great Beyond, she continuing to live on the farm, some of her children always with her.  Six years ago she came to live with her daughter.

Besides the husband, three children preceded her.

She leaves to mourn her loss one son, T. H. Girven, and four daughters, Mrs. J. F. Brandt, Miss Agnes Girven and Mrs. N. H. Milliken, all of Shepherd, and Mrs. A. R. Cole of Ann Arbor; also a foster son, Dr. W. W. Ker of Cannan, Vt., thirteen grandchildren, two great grandchildren and one sister, Mrs. J. L. Smith, of Augusta, Ohio.

She was converted in her girlhood and with her husband united with the Presbyterian church shortly after their marriage.  About twenty years ago she became a Methodist.

She was truly a noble woman; a devoted wife, kind mother and sympatric friend; loved and respected by all with whom she came in contact.  Her urgent "Don't be in a hurry," and cheerful, "Come when you can," will be a bright spot in the memory of her host of friends.

The funeral was held Saturday afternoon at the Methodist church, Rev. Davis officiating.  Burial in Salt River Cemetery.

(** Card of Thanks:  T. H. Girven and Family;  J. F. Brandt and wife;  Agnes Girven;  N. H. Milliken and Family and A. R. Cole and Family.)


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


June 17, 1915


Mrs. Blanche Barker died at her home in St. Louis Monday night as the result of an operation for appendicitis Sunday evening.  The death is an exceptionally and sad one as five little children are left motherless.  Mrs. Barker was a daughter of Lewis Hamilton of this place.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


March 20, 1915


Mr. and Mrs. Frank Butler of Lewistown, Montana, arrived here Saturday night with the remains of Mr. Butler's mother, Mrs. Jennie Forbes, a former resident of Chippewa township.  Mrs. Forbes had been a resident of Chippewa township about twenty-four years, when she went to Montana and took up a homestead on which she lived until she proved it up last fall.  She then went to make her home with Mr. and Mrs. Butler.  She has been ailling since Christmas, but was not seriously sick until three days before her death which occurred last Wednesday.  The deceased was seventy-five years old and leaves only the one son and fire grandchildren.  The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon at two o'clock from the Chippewa Baptist church, Rev. Ritts officiating and burial took place in Chippewa cemetery beside her late husband who died eight years ago.

Mr. and Mrs. Butler also brought the remains of their sixteen year old daughter, Susie, who died three years ago.  Burial took place Monday on the family lot in Chippewa Cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *                             


Died Wednesday from Tuberculosis at State Hospital

April 8, 1915


The remains of Miss Beulah B. Francisco, youngest child of Mrs. E. Francisco of this city, were brought here Friday from Traverse City where she died last Wednesday.

Miss Francisco was born in Mt. Pleasant August 9, 1893 and received her education in the city schools.  About three years ago she went to Detroit where she was employed nearly two years, when she was stricken down with tuberculosis.  She fought against the disease but all in vain.  She returned home in April and was placed in the state hospital last August for treatment.

The deceased was a bright capable girl and deepest sympathy is felt for the bereaved mother and sister, Mrs. H. VanWie of Shepherd, who are left to mourn her death.

The funeral was held Monday morning at ten o'clock from her late home, Rev. Mr. Hazeldine of the F M Church officiating.  The remains were laid in Chippewa cemetery beside her father, a brother and three sisters.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


Sylvester R. Baughman Passes Away Very Suddenly

April 27, 1915


Sylvester R. Baughman died very suddenly at the home of his son, Carl, about three o'clock on Friday afternoon, last.

Deceased was born May 3, 1844 in Wayne County, Ohio, being at his death 70 years, 11 months and 20 days.  He was the son of Samuel and Mary Ann Baughman.  He came to Michigan in '64 and was married to Abbie Fosgett of Salt River July 4, 1865, who departed this life July 21, 1899.  To this union three children were born.  Mamie C., died at the age of 15 years and Clark E. died in infancy.  He was again married to Catherine Houghton of Mt. Pleasant March 14, 1901.  He is survived by his wife, and son Carl of this place, two grandchildren and two sisters,  Mrs. Hale of Fostoria, Ohio and Mrs. Coleman of Wadsworth, Ohio.

Mr. Baughman was a kind and loving husband and father and a friend to all.

He had been in poor health for the past nine months, he and his wife having spent the winter in Georgia.  He returned to Shepherd April 8, seeming to feel much better.  He was driven up town twice on Friday forenoon, ate a hearty dinner, then he and his wife drove to the home of Carl, where while sitting in the buggy the master called him to his reward for which he was prepared.

He will be greatly missed by his neighbors and friends as well as at home.

The funeral was held from his late residence in Shepherd, April 26 at two p.m., Rev C. E. Davis officiating.  The remains were laid at rest in Salt River Cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



Former Resident of this County Dies at Parent's Home

June 10, 1915


Mrs. W. Wonch, who was brought from her home in Lansing 2 weeks ago Monday to the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. P. H. Swix, of Shepherd, died Sunday night from a complication of diseases.

Mrs. Lida (Swix) Wonch, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. P. H. Swix, was born Sept. 7, 1892 at Clare, but the greater part of her life has been spent at Shepherd, where she received education and where she was united in marriage April 26, 1913, to Wm. M. Wonch.

Mr. and Mrs. Wonch went to Lansing immediately after their marriage.  Fourteen months ago a baby boy was born to them since which time Mrs. Wonch's health has gradually failed.  Several weeks ago she lost her eye sight and since then she has failed rapidly.

Mrs. Wonch had many warm friends who mourn with the bereaved husband, baby boy, parents, one sister and two brothers.  She has been a patient sufferer, never complaining but always looking and planning for the time when health and eyesight would be restored.

The funeral services were held yesterday afternoon from the Christian church of which she was a member, at Shepherd and the remains were laid to rest in Salt River Cemetery.

Those from away who were here to attend the funeral were Mr. and Mrs. Aaron Wonch and daughter, and Mrs. James Wonch of Lansing and Mr. and Mrs. Bet Swix and two children of Shelby.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



(article hard to read - either Curtis or Ourtis)

Henry Waldo Curtis/Ourtis

Sept 16, 1915


Henry Waldo Curtis/Ourtis was born July 6, 1844 in New York.  He was united in marriage with Fanny Newton April 8, 1873.  They came to Michigan in 1883 and moved to their present home five years ago, from Montcalm county.

After a lingering illness, lasting six years, he passed to the home beyond on Wednesday, Sept. 15, 1915.

He leaves behind a companion, also three brothers and several nieces and nephews and a wide circle of friends.

The funeral services were held at the late home Friday at 2 p.m. conducted by Rev. C. E. Davis.  The remains were taken to Fairplains, Montcalm county, Mich., were burial took place Saturday.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


Former Union Telephone Operator Dies At Her Home

Funeral On Monday

Sept. 23, 1915


Miss Rose Flannery, daughter of John Flannery, living three miles east of town, died at her home on Friday last after an illness of several months.  She had but recently passed her twentieth birthday.

She was born and raised in this community and was for some time a pupil at the parochial school.  She was in the employ of the Union Telephone Co. for over a year but was obliged to give up her work last spring owing to her health, this insidious symptoms of tuberculosis developing and undermining her constitution.  They planned to send her to the State hospital at Howell, but at that time the accommodations were inadequate and they were waiting for an opening there.  But she steadily failed and was soon beyond earthly help and died as above stated.  She is survived by her father and several brothers and sisters.

The funeral was held at Sacred Heart Church on Monday, and six young ladies, intimate friends, the Miss Lalone, Kipfmiller, Pohl, Campbell, Haight and Sheehan, acted as pall-bearers.  Burial was in the Catholic Cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



Feb. 7, 1915


Wm. H. Wonch, son of Francis and Catherine (Campbell) Wonch, was born at St. Charles, Canada, July 30, 1833, where he resided until 1854.  In the fall of this year he came to this county and bought 200 acres of government land on sections 21 and 22 of Coe township.  He soon returned to Canada and July 2, 1860 was married to Melinda Nutt.  To this union nine children were born, six of whom survive, one daughter having died in infancy;  Howard E. died at the age of eight and Levern L. at the age of fourteen.

In the winter of 1862/63 Mr. Wonch returned to this county, bringing his wife and baby with him.  He sold his land on sections 21 and 22, buying 80 acres on section 9, which he later added 80 acres more on section 16, where he lived until 1904.  He then built on section 9 and resided there until the time of his death which occurred Feb. 7, 1915, being 81 years, 6 months and 7 days old.

Mr. Wonch was one of our oldest settlers, having cut the first tree on what is now known as Salt River Corners.  He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, being converted when eighteen years of age, and has always been an ardent worker for the faith.

Deceased was a kind and loving husband and father and leaves to mourn their loss, his wife, four sons and two daughters:  Robert H., George W., and Mrs. Anna Tibblls of this place;  William A. and Francis B. of Lansing and Mrs. Alice Broderick of Clare, sixteen grandchildren and one great grandson; one sister, Mrs. Abigail Holland of Springfield, Oregon, and a host of friends.

He is the last of three brothers who have died within the last three months.  Eli Wonch, age 69, died on Nov. 13, 1914, at Spokane, Washington;  Richard Wonch, age 79 years, died Dec. 29, 1914 at Shepherd and Wm. M. Wonch, age 81 years died Feb 7, 1915, at Shepherd.

Services conducted by Rev. C. E. Davis in the Methodist church Tuesday at 2 p.m., interment in Salt River Cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



R. Wonch of Coe - Resident of Isabella 56 Years

Jan. 7, 1915


Richard Wonch, living just east of Shepherd, died at his home last week from a stroke of paralysis, which he suffered about two months ago.  The deceased was born in Canada, seventy-nine years ago, where he made his home until man grown and where he was married.  Fifty-six years ago he came to this county and took up two hundred acres of government land north of Shepherd, which he later sold and bought the eighty acre farm, where with his wife and five children he has since made his home.

The funeral was held from  his late home Saturday, Rev. C. E. Davis of Shepherd M E Church officiating.  The remains were laid to rest in Salt River Cemetery.  Those from away who were here to attend the funeral was his only daughter, Mrs. Clarence Husted and husband of Middleton and his nephew, Aaron Wonch, of Lansing.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


Andrew Picket

Sept (?), 1915


Andrew Picket was born in Shepherd Dec. 13, 1881, residing there all his life with the exception of the last two weeks, when he was with his sister in Alma.

His mother passed from this life 22 years ago, the 30th of April;  his father two years ago, May 14, 1913.

He leaves to mourn his departure four sisters and one brother, Amos Pickett of Detroit, Mrs. Ida Jones and Eliza Clark of Detroit, Mrs. James( J. D.) Rumberger and Mrs. J. B. Carson of Alma, and many other sorrowing relatives and friends.

Andrew's gentle disposition had made him many friends and we believe it can be truthfully said he had not an enemy in the world.

While he was never of a rugged constitution he had an industrious disposition and was usually found employment despite his physical handicap.  He bore his disabilities uncomplainingly and but few knew of his affliction.

His untimely death came as a great surprise to those who knew him well.  The funeral was held at the old home last Thursday afternoon, Rev. J. C. Meese of St. Louis officiating.  Burial in Salt River Cemetery.

(** Card of Thanks:  Ida B. Carson, Amos Pickett, Liza Clark, Mina Rumberger and Ada Jones.)

(Note:  spelling of Picket/Pickett is as it appears in article)


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             



Ann Arbor Employee Died Sunday Morning

Jan. 14, 1915


John F. Jacobs died at his home in this city Sunday morning at half past one o'clock from a complication of diseases from which he had been suffering a little over a week.

Mr. Jacobs came from Marion to this city seven years ago and during the greater part of this time has been employed as section man on the Ann Arbor.

The deceased was born in Dryden, Lapeer County, March 16, 1872, and at the time of death was forty-three years, nine months and twenty-five days old.  He was united in marriage to Nancy E. Fish in this city twenty-three years ago and to them three children were born.  One little daughter died at the age of four years and the two surviving are Mrs. Dossie Jacob Warner and John H. Jacobs.  Mrs. Jacobs died a year and three months ago.

The funeral was held yesterday at 12 o'clock from the M E church, Rev. James Pickard officiating and the remains were taken to Clare for burial beside his late wife.  The Masonic Order of which he was a member had charge of the services.  Members of the I. O. O. F. and Masonic Order acted as pallbearers.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *                             


North Bound Ann Arbor Motor Car Strikes Wagon Containing

Seven Children, Near Depot

Dead are Evelyn and Bessie Block of Nottawa Township

Helen Block Seriously Injured - 15 years old

Driver Not Aware of Approaching Car


June 10, 1915


Two killed and one injured tells a story of the second fatal accident at Ann Arbor Crossing in Isabella county during the past month.  The second accident occurred Saturday at 5:30 p.m. when the north bound motor car hit a wagon containing seven children, killing Evelyn and Bessie Block, aged 13 and (? missing)

respectively and seriously injuring Helen Block 10.  All three children were daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Block of Nottawa Township, living on a farm six miles northwest of Mt. Pleasant.  The other children who were in the wagon returning from the eighth grade exercises at Island Park were Edward 15, and William 9, brothers of the dead girls, Edna Block a cousin and Emma Zier, 18.

The seven children had left Island Park in a wagon bound for home, Edward doing the driving of the team of sported young horses.  According to the boy's own story as told to a "TIMES" representative, he did not hear the motor which crept into the station quietly until the horses were already on the track.  The car was then nearly to them and he endeavored to pull them up, but they stopped only for an instant, then lunged ahead drawing the wagon onto the track just in time for the car to strike it squarely in front of the hind wheels.

Conductor Sees Accident

Conductor Chas Shears states that neither of the girls killed nor the one injured was struck by the wheels of the car.  Bessie, the smaller one, was killed probably from the fall, and it is believed that the car did not hit her.  Evelyn, however, was rolled under the cowcatcher in such a way that her body was horribly crushed and twisted, and the motor had to back up before her body could be taken out.  Helen, the injured girl, also fell under the cowcatcher, but being small escaped from being mutilated, and was immediately removed to the home of Dr. Brondstetter, a relative, where a broken limb and a serious injury to her side were cared for.

The two bodies were removed to the back part of the depot where Corner Baskerville and jury consisting of W. E. Lewis, Chas Myers, Frank Keenan, F. B. Whitehead, P. C. Taylor and John Warner were called to view the remains.  The inquest was to be held last night.

Conductor Shears said the car stopped at Gorham's mill to pick up a flag and as it was to pass Harris' potato house he hear Engineer Bill Elliott blowing the warning whistle for a man who was standing too near the edge of the potato loading platform.  Shears went in and called the station and felt the car slowing down from the application of the brakes.  He went to the door and was an eye witness to the tragedy as were the scores of bystanders waiting for the two motors.  The conductor states that had the car been running at it's usual rate coming into the station the entire wagon load would have been thrown clear of the track.  As it was, however, the wagon box was lifted into the air together with the children who escaped serious injury, the two girls who were killed having occupied the back seat.

Runs After Horses

Edward, the driver, not surmising the seriousness of the accident, ran after the horses which were stopped by two men at the Indian School corner.  He was driven back to the depot in an automobile where he learned of the death of two of his sisters.

The Block family is well known in their home community and all day Sunday automobiles and carriages brought people to their door with offerings of assistance and sympathy.  There are four other children in the family, - Frank 16, Harold and Hazel, the 3 year old twins, and Raymond, the baby of a year old.

Evelyn would of been 13 years old on August 4 and Bessie was seven on Feb. 17.  The children attended the Town Line School where Miss Anna Gorman has taught during the past year.  Evelyn was in the sixth grade and Bessie in the second.  Edward is one of the eighth grade graduates this year and the entire party had turned out to the exercises.

The double funeral was held Tuesday at one o'clock in the Nottawa Lutheran church, Rev. List officiating.

An accident of a similar nature occurred at the Ann Arbor crossing one mile south of Shepherd three weeks ago when Mrs. E. G. Faunce was fatally injured.

(Note: There is also a picture included with this article, "The above picture was taken a few months ago and contains pictures of the two girls killed.  At the left is Helen Block whose leg was broken.  At her side is Evelyn (killed) and continuing from left to right are Anna Roethlisberger, and 'little' Harold Block, neither of whom were in the wagon Saturday.  Bessie Block (killed), Lily Thayer and Emma Zier, the latter having been in the wreck but escaped injury.")



*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


Margaret Sawvel

November 16, 1915


Margaret Sawvel was born near Canton, Stark Co., Ohio August 18, 1833, and departed this life November 16, 1915, aged 82 years, 2 months and  28 days.

At the age of 13 years she moved with her parents to DeKalb County, Indiana.

She was united in marriage with Joseph Myers in 1850.

In 1855 she moved with her husband and two small children to Coe township, Isabella County, being one of it's pioneers, driving through with an ox team fording many rivers and creeks and chipping their road through the forest a great deal of the way.  There were on the way three weeks when they reached their destination on June 1, 1855.

They settled upon the homestead which her husband had taken up the year before, and which she still owned at the time of her death.

They endured a great many hardships and privations, St. Johns being their nearest market,  taking a week or ten days to go there and back when they procured their provisions.  She, with her husband and family, resided upon this homestead where with hard labor they turned the forest into a comfortable home, and where they resided until the time of his death, March 4, 1903, when she moved to the village of Shepherd, where she has since retired.

Mrs. Myers was the mother of 15 children, 10 of whom survive, four sons and six daughters.

She has been in failing health for several years, being confined to her home for the past three years, and for the last year has been a great sufferer, but patiently waiting and praying for her release.

She was a faithful wife, a kind and loving mother, and a good neighbor.  She united with the United Brethren church 30 years ago.

Besides her immediate family she leaves to mourn their loss two sisters and two brothers, thirteen grand children and four great grand children.

Services were held in the Methodist church Friday at 2:00 p.m., Rev. C. E. Davis officiating.  Burial was in Salt River Cemetery.


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


Miss Emma J. Hall

November 18,  1915


Miss Emma J. Hall was born October 30, 1862 in Ontario County, New York and passed away November 18, 1915 at Owosso, Michigan.

She was the daughter of Hiram and Ellis Todd Hall, the fifth of a family of nine children, five of whom survive.

At the age of five years she removed with her parents to Wisconsin and ten years later to Michigan, where  she has since resided.  Most of her life has been spent in Isabella County, in and about  Shepherd and Mt. Pleasant.

At an early age she united with the Unitarian church at Mt. Pleasant.  She lived a consistent Christian life, devoted to her church and friends.  She was unselfish and self sacrificing to the uttermost in her service of others.  She will be greatly missed by a host of relatives and friends.  Of such a one it may truly be said, "She hath done what she could."


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             


Maria Fellows

March 16, 1915


Maria Fellows was born August 8, 1830 at Leona, Livingston County, New York.  She was married in 1852 to John Anthony, who died two years later.  In  1858 she was united in marriage to Richard Priestly and moved to Jackson County in 1865, coming to Isabella County in 1875, where they settled on a farm two miles east of Shepherd.  Richard Priestly died in 1893.

She is survived by four children:  John Anthony of Midland County, Mrs. Eunice Vining and James Priestly of Isabella County and Mrs. John Drum of Tacoma, Wash., 13 grandchildren, one brother, John Fellows of Detroit; two sisters, Jennie Fellows and Mary E. Little of Orange, Calif.; one half sister, Mrs. George Wigent, of Pottsville, Mich.

She died March 16 at her home in Shepherd after an illness extending over two years....(rest of article is missing)


*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *             




© 1999 - 2009  Donna Hoff-Grambau
All Rights Reserved