March 27, 1908

Grand Old Indian Suffers

David Maw-ne-shinzs, probably the oldest Indian in the county, came near taking a trip to the happy hunting grounds Tuesday by the river route. Pursuing his custom of years, the aged hunter made a trip down the North Branch stream in a canoe attending to his traps along the banks. When he reached the forks of the river where it becomes the Chippewa the frail canoe was overturned and its occupant barely escaped drowning. He was rescued however, and spent some time at the Hackett farm, leaving later in the day with the intention of walking back to his house near Coldwater lake. On the road, however, the old man succumbed to the cold and lay for some time unconscious in the road. Eckford Cross took him to his house in an unconscious condition and Dr. Paullen went out and revivified him and he was able to go home the next day.

Living up the the principles of his early training, the old man steadfastly refused the stimulants with which his white friends tried to assist nature in bringing him back to life again. He was nearly dead from the cold but alive enough to refuse the liquor and when he remembered the incident the next day, he alluded to it as “bad stuff” which he never had taken.

The family who took care of the old man during the night were impressed with the strong religious feeling which showed in all his actions. Before partaking of the food, he announced that he wanted to pray, and while his hostess waited, hearing in his native tongue a hymn and amde a fervant appeal to his creator.

Maw-ne-shinzs’ exact age is unknown, althought he asserts that he was twenty years old “the year the stars fell.”

Paying the Redman

Charles H. Dickson, representing the Interior Department at Washington, has been in Mt. Pleasant the past week or more to settle the claim of the Indians against the government under an old treaty. The Indians have had their claim before the department for a long time, and at least it was allowed, giving each one $21.18.

In this vicinity there are about 70 families entitled to the money under the treaty, and Mr. Dickson has paid each one personally who is here. Some have moved away and with those he is arriving at settlement by correspondence. One day last week he was at Indian church near Whiteville where he met and paid a large number.

During his stay here Mt. Dickson is making his headquarters at the government school with Superintendent Cochran.

No date or newspaper listed

Deerfield Center News

An ancient Indian buring ground has lately been discovered on the premises of Wm. E. Redfield by Edward Purtill who was plowing on a newly cleared follow. Three skeletons were turned out by the plow. There were upwards of 20 mounds in the field which were supposed to have been Indian mounds. A few of them were now opened and from three to ten skeletons found in each mound. They were buried from one to four feet deep. No relics or weapons were found. Some of the numerous visitors to the scene, secured skulls to preserve as curiosities and replaced the remainder of the bones in their former resting place. Some think it is an ancient battle field, while others think it only the burial ground of some tribe that has lived here in the past. “County Cousin”

©  2004 of transcription by Barbara Lesser

©  2004 of html coding, graphics 
 by Donna Hoff-Grambau


Volunteers hold copyright to the material they have donated for this site.  Not to be copied and used in any format to any other site or in any other media. 


MIGenWeb Official Notices and Disclaimer

This server space page is provided by Michigan Family History Network genealogical server.