REV. GEORGE BRADLEY
MICHIGAN ANNUAL CONFERENCE MEMOIRS
GEORGE BRADLEY was born in Hopewell, Ontario, County, N. Y., May 31, 1810; was converted and joined the M. E. Church in Perry, Genesee County, N. Y., in his sixteenth year. In 1832 he married Miss SOPHIA BLAKESLY of Oneida county, N. Y., who survives him. He was licensed to preach in 1837, by the Quarterly Conference of Copely Circuit, Wooster District, Michigan Conference. He was received by the Michigan Conference on trial in 1838, and appointed as junior preacher to Copely Circuit.
In 1839 and 1840 he was appointed to Saline Circuit, Ann Arbor District; in 1841 he was admitted into full connection, ordained deacon and appointed to Plymouth Circuit; and in 1842 and 1843 to Milford, and in 1844 to Birmingham Detroit District; in 1845, 1846, and 1847 he was Missionary to the Indians at Flint Mission, Grand Rapids District; in 1848 and 1849 was appointed Presiding Elder of Grand River District, which stretched across the state from the mouth of that rive to Saginaw Bay and Lake Huron with headquarters at Flint. In 1850 the district was divided—the western part retaining the name of “Grand River”, and the eastern was given the name of “Flint”, on which Mr. Bradley served the two following years.
In 1852 he went to Lower Saginaw, where he built a church, raising the most of the means in New York; in 1853 to South Albion Circuit; in 1854, Marshall District; in 1855 he was agent of the Wesleyan Seminary at Albion; in 1856 he was stationed at Jackson, retaining the agency of the Seminary; in 1857, 1858, and 1859, he was Presiding Elder of the Indian Mission District, and Missionary to the Isabella Indian Mission; in 1860 and 1861 he was Presiding Elder of Lansing District, and at the Conference of 1862 superannuated—which relation he sustained to death. Though superannuated, his labors did not cease. In 1863, 1864 and 1866, he was employed as Missionary to the Indians at Isabella.
After the death of Rev. Wm. Hott, the Indian Missionary, September 26, 1870, Mr. Bradley was employed to fill the vacancy, which he did acceptably, till the 15th of April, 1871, when he was transferred to the Church Triumphant. Energy and fidelity always characterized the work of this good man. One of his old co-laborers truly said, “If you want to see George Bradley, go where duty has called him, and there you will find him.”
He was the true, unfaltering friend of the Indians, and nearly all the time since 1845 he had been among them, earnestly laboring for their good, following them when they came from Flint into the wilds of Isabella. He had been but recently appointed Indian Agent for this state, and the friends of Indians looked with confidence to the speedy settlement of the “land” and other exciting and ruinous questions, and the dawn of better days for these poor people.
But how mysterious are the ways of God! “He buried His workmen, but carries on his work.”
He went to N. Y. on business connected with his agency . From the Hudson River depot he went to the Ashland House, where he sank down and in a few moments died. To him this could be no surprise, he had been expecting it for several years and we believe he was well prepared for it. His remains were sent by Dr. Harris to his home in Michigan, where they were buried among those of his friend. H. C. Peck; F. Gage; T. H. Jacokes.
Copyright © 2012 all
rights reserved of submission and transcription by
Cathy Benedict, html coding and
Volunteers hold copyright to the material they have donated for this site. Not to be copied and used in any format to any other site or in any other media.
THIS SITE IS PART OF THE MIGENWEB PROJECT
MIGenWeb Official Notices and Disclaimer
This server space page is provided by Michigan Family History Network genealogical server.